• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowhat

VGA the new E3.

Stop.
I see no problem with this. If I have to watch just a single show to get all the relevant announcements, as opposed to several, I'm all for it.

(not certain if I'll watch this live though, 3:30AM isn't exactly the most convenient time for me)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well if the Director of Program Management at Xbox Studios says tune in early it probably means they're going to show off a new game trailer.

He is Director of Program Management for the Xbox Platform, not Game Studios.

This is a hardware guy who oversees programs like the X and Elite 2 controller builds.

He is the Beard guy in the Scarlett video.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just over 6 hours to go to find out.
raw

source.gif

MadAnon

I love this "throw shit against the wall and hope something sticks" approach. Just hint something will be revealed before every event and you will be right eventually. This PSErebus just recently ended up with an egg on his/her face but people are still posting garbage from that account.

McHuj

I can see MS announcing the reveal date tonight. January event.

Some people on the other forum were hinting that the reveal will be soon, but not this year. If Sony will announce in a similar fashion to PS4 in February, I think MS may try for January especially if they think they have the more powerful machine.

Tqaulity

Gee I dunno...maybe because 24GB of RAM would likely cost north of $200?
Really? $200 to whom? To a user buying it off Newegg or Amazon? Is that how the BOM is calculated for Sony (or Microsoft) to pay for it for their consoles :messenger_unamused:?

Would probably add shit ton of heat and electricity to system so it is probably better to go for 16 + 4GB of DDR4 (like Sony IS doing).
Sure it would. Just like adding 8GB of GDDR5 would have added an excessive amount of heat and power to a console back in in 2013.

MS has path for 20GB of GDDR6 duo to 320bit bandwidth.
I get why you are saying that for Scarlet based on the rendering during the reveal at E3 2019, but when did Sony confirm anything about PS5 being on a 256bit bus?

R600

Banned
Really? $200 to whom? To a user buying it off Newegg or Amazon? Is that how the BOM is calculated for Sony (or Microsoft) to pay for it for their consoles :messenger_unamused:?

Sure it would. Just like adding 8GB of GDDR5 would have added an excessive amount of heat and power to a console back in in 2013.

I get why you are saying that for Scarlet based on the rendering during the reveal at E3 2019, but when did Sony confirm anything about PS5 being on a 256bit bus?
When Flute benchmark was released (its been removed day after but you can find it online still).

Some people on the other forum were hinting that the reveal will be soon, but not this year. If Sony will announce in a similar fashion to PS4 in February, I think MS may try for January especially if they think they have the more powerful machine.

Imagine being this confident and then getting crushed by Sony.

Anything can happen, nobody knows. But it would defo be a hit to Ms's pride (imho).

Or maybe they are just focusing next-gen with another, less agressive mood, who knows

Mass Shift

January, hmmm. If they did it would be right around the time AMD has their CES 2020 press conference.

Mass Shift

Imagine being this confident and then getting crushed by Sony.

Anything can happen, nobody knows. But it would defo be a hit to Ms's pride (imho).

Or maybe they are just focusing next-gen with another, less agressive mood, who knows

If they go first and introduce a 12+ RDNA TF machine w Dedicated RT Cores? They're safe, even if Sony comes in slightly ahead.

Going first might even allow them to shape their own narrative for a change. Something they rarely get to because they're often playing catchup against wayward headlines.

It would be their last chance at getting their sails out ahead in the wind before Sony since they passed on it earlier this year at E3.

McHuj

January, hmmm. If they did it would be right around the time AMD has their CES 2020 press conference.

I think they will both either be revealed by March or completely leak. From January on, it has to be full steam ahead for all developers. They need games ready for E3 and launch so I don't see how they can keep things from leaking next year. Everything for MS leaked way in advance of the Xbox reveal in May last time.

In March you have GDC and I don't think you would announce during GDC. It's not a consumer show, but it would make sense to discuss next gen at GDC in a launch year, so I think it has to happen before hand.

Whether someone has the stronger console or not, going first allows them to better control the message and make the other guy look like he's reacting to you.

Yeah

MS Will play Very smart compared to their terrible job back in 2013.

I think they Will be doing everything in anticipation to Sony

Gamernyc78

Banned
If they go first and introduce a 12+ RDNA TF machine w Dedicated RT Cores? They're safe, even if Sony comes in slightly ahead.

Going first might even allow them to shape their own narrative for a change. Something they rarely get to because they're often playing catchup against wayward headlines.

It would be their last chance at getting their sails out ahead in the wind before Sony since they passed on it earlier this year at E3.

Bro the bottom line is the goal post and narratives keep changing depending on what info gets leaked. The bottom line is with or without a stronger machine Sony is the one thts safe and will sell because they have tht mind share locked globally. I doubt Xbox will have the stronger machine but if thy do I doubt it means much to ppl in the grand scheme of things the way ppl are making it seem. More power isn't an Xbox savior.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah

MS Will play Very smart compared to their terrible job back in 2013.

I think they Will be doing everything in anticipation to Sony

Sony will be doing everything in anticipation to what thy think Microsoft are doing. Thy both akways play things out this way its just tht Sony was alottt smarter last go around.

TLZ

Banned
Id give You this advice: reavaliate your hype. Dont set yourself for disapointments

Expect only vague PR talk. Nothing really concrete to unreasonable hype.

Any official info, with oficial and final aspects, names and samples of nextgen consoles Power Will happen on a MS/Sony exclusive events, wich are Very close.
First quarter of next year obviously. Makes no sense to reveal anything now before the holidays season.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Id give You this advice: reavaliate your hype. Dont set yourself for disapointments

Expect only vague PR talk. Nothing really concrete to unreasonable hype.

Any official info, with oficial and final aspects, names and samples of nextgen consoles Power Will happen on a MS/Sony exclusive events, wich are Very close.

I hope not it is way to soon to spill the beans. The last place company will never maintain launch hype for 10-11 months. They need to hold off until spring let Sony go first then they can go when Sony is not there to suck the air out of the room. Then your not far from E3 then other events easier to maintain moment.

FranXico

Sony will be doing everything in anticipation to what thy think Microsoft are doing. Thy both akways play things out this way its just tht Sony was alottt smarter last go around.
They did do all they could back then, but the 8GB GDDR5 was not a master plan, they just got lucky with a great deal in the last minute.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Bro the bottom line is the goal post and narratives keep changing depending on what info gets leaked. The bottom line is with or without a stronger machine Sony is the one thts safe and will sell because they have tht mind share locked globally. I doubt Xbox will have the stronger machine but if thy do I doubt it means much to ppl in the grand scheme of things the way ppl are making it seem. More power isn't an Xbox savior.
Nope but they can't be humiliated again like last time. I say gamepass, lockheart if done right and the new studios(oblivion,second playground,initiative) are the things can get them closer to Sony. They can't win Sony has EU wrapped already to much mindshare.

Mass Shift

What I mean is that anything past the 12TF threshold is going to perform like the monster eater they claimed. They will be safe from the kinds of scrutiny they endured in 2013 over their poor engineering choices.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
They did do all they could back then, but the 8GB GDDR5 was not a master plan, they just got lucky with a great deal in the last minute.
The chips they needed become available sooner than expected. If not it would of been 4 gigs of ram. It was good fortune for Sony. Those bigger chips could been available 6 months later and things would been interesting.

Ar¢tos

These days you get the announcement of an announcement date that later turns out to be the announcement of another announcement date.

Von Hugh

I love this "throw shit against the wall and hope something sticks" approach. Just hint something will be revealed before every event and you will be right eventually. This PSErebus just recently ended up with an egg on his/her face but people are still posting garbage from that account.

When something wasn't shown as predicted:

"Aww too bad, MS/Sony just got shy, they'll show it next time"

THE:MILKMAN

The chips they needed become available sooner than expected. If not it would of been 4 gigs of ram. It was good fortune for Sony. Those bigger chips could been available 6 months later and things would been interesting.

While there was no doubt an element of Sony having to wait relatively late in the day for a third-party (Samsung) to come through with the 4Gbit chips I still think it was always going to be 8GB for the retail console. They may well have waited if they needed to.

My logic here is that Killzone: SF was designed to use almost all of the 5GB (well above the total 4GB RAM rumoured) available to devs that we subsequently found out about later. AFAIK one the first things a dev needs to know before designing their game is RAM budget and with a 4GB system the game would've had 2.5GB max? It is known they started Killzone: SF development in ~April 2011 (after Killzone 3 wrapped). I doubt they got to the PS4 reveal and suddenly got a massive bump in RAM budget....

In any case Sony were very smart not to promise something in their developer documents that was touch and go as to whether it would come through from their vendor.

bitbydeath

“They cant win”
Microsoft windows (Direct X ) steam 110 million
Microsoft windows (Direct X ) Epic game store 110 million
Microsoft Minecraft 110 million active users
Microsoft Xbox xbox 44 million
Sony ps4 95 million

Microsoft windows 10 700 million

Microsoft has already won.

That’s not how that works at all.

nowhat

“They cant win”
Sony ps4 95 million

For winners they sure are shy to release sales figures.

My logic here is that Killzone: SF was designed to use almost all of the 5GB (well above the total 4GB RAM rumoured) available to devs that we subsequently found out about later. AFAIK one the first things a dev needs to know before designing their game is RAM budget and with a 4GB system the game would've had 2.5GB max? It is known they started Killzone: SF development in ~April 2011 (after Killzone 3 wrapped). I doubt they got to the PS4 reveal and suddenly got a massive bump in RAM budget....
Nope:

We also had plenty of 2GB lowballers back in 2011:

Console R&D involves designing plenty of early prototypes (it's a constant iteration process), so getting fixated on low specs means nothing... history has proven this again and again.

Ar¢tos

“They cant win”
Sony ps4 95 million

static.comicvine.com_uploads_original_8_82914_1545894_polar_bear_face_palm_thumbnail1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom