• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens is very simple. All insiders, both here and at ERA have used puzzles and sometimes confusing phrases when reporting. There have been some numbers but rarely clearly and directly. This for a while works. The problem is that the wait is getting too long, there is very little official information and many rumors, and that ends up getting tired to everyone. This is not a criticism of any insider. It is simply that the wait is getting too long and for my part for example without real data I recognize that every day that passes I lose interest. I will recover it as soon as something is announced but for now that is my impression and I think it happens to all of us a little.
Insiders in ERA are not confusing. Klee said Series X is 12 TF RDNA and PS5 less than 10% higher than that. Matt said he guessed Xbox would end up more powerful, which Klee didn't disagree with, so we can understand they are very close. Jason Schreier said they are very close too, and more powerful than RTX 2080.
So if you believe this guys, they are both around 12 RDNA teraflops and very close in power.

If you read Heisenberg, then both consoles can be anywhere between 8 and 13 teraflops. Because he has said one thing and the contrary.

DaGwaphics

It'll be interesting to see how they price it. If it's only slightly more powerful than PS5 they can't price it $100 more.

Can't, Won't, or Shouldn't that's the rub.

To those questioning the value proposition of consoles:

Consoles will have their place, end of discussion LOL. It is simply not possible for PNY, EVGA etc. to match MS or Sony buy rates for memory etc. nor do they sell products at breakeven price points, this will always create a situation where equivalent and higher spec PCs come at a high price premium over the consoles. The driving value of the console is not exclusive games or even services, but the low price of entry.

Consoles will live on on until they are replaced by a cheaper alternative (streaming). And streaming tech has a ways to go yet, it's moving along but still not quite there.

Rossco EZ

There is a lot of projection going on in this post, and it comes off as pretty winy of not getting every little detail you so desire.

Is this your first foray into a new console gen on a gaming forum with potential leakers?

The part he was talking about being shared with me that “can never see the light of day” is not related to next gen talks, only further solidifying his sources.
any news on the scfc guy?

bitbydeath

Insiders in ERA are not confusing. Klee said Series X is 12 TF RDNA and PS5 less than 10% higher than that. Matt said he guessed Xbox would end up more powerful, which Klee didn't disagree with, so we can understand they are very close. Jason Schreier said they are very close too, and more powerful than RTX 2080.
So if you believe this guys, they are both around 12 RDNA teraflops and very close in power.

If you read Heisenberg, then both consoles can be anywhere between 8 and 13 teraflops. Because he has said one thing and the contrary.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is in the 12TF range as well, only one of his sources were in the lower range and he didn’t feel as strongly about it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He doesn't know if Series X is 12 teraflops RDNA or GCN. Even if he knew PS5 specs he couldn't tell you the percentage difference. But reading other posts of his, he doesn't know PS5 specs either. So how can he give you a percentage difference between 2 consoles if he knows the specs of neither?

Thats just not true thought I was pretty clear I do know the specs on both systems its why i can put a 10% power difference in them.

I have tried making it clear most of my info leans towards the 12 TF area with one guy who is not my top dog telling me he thinks its single digits.

I have said before if I was forced to make a bet I would go 12 tfs but with this one guy telling me its single digits I believe he at least believes that as I am very good friends with him.

I hope I have spelled it out well enough on my thoughts

SmokSmog

841586b7da31b4c684af8a03056bc5a335c462dd38d3466baab5d69c4f384bde.png

Kusarigama

Sorry you feel I am "protected" by the mods @SlimySnake

Maybe its because I have proven to Mod of War Mod of War where my info comes from and how high up the food chain that actually is.

And no I don't have to share where that info came from or even how much I care to share as I have shared things with Mod of War Mod of War that will never see the light of day to the public.

But again I will just wait until we get reveals from here on out.
How do I become a moderator here just to help in the verifcation process? Not at all to get my hands at the juicy "insider" info.

Thats just not true thought I was pretty clear I do know the specs on both systems its why i can put a 10% power difference in them.

I have tried making it clear most of my info leans towards the 12 TF area with one guy who is not my top dog telling me he thinks its single digits.

I have said before if I was forced to make a bet I would go 12 tfs but with this one guy telling me its single digits I believe he at least believes that as I am very good friends with him.

I hope I have spelled it out well enough on my thoughts
How can you know the percentage difference and not know whether specs are around 12 teraflops or around 9?

ethomaz

Banned
How do I become a moderator here just to help in the verifcation process? Not at all to get my hands at the juicy "insider" info.
They do a mod process where everybody can apply... I already saw that happen 2 or 3 times.

How can you know the percentage difference and not know whether specs are around 12 teraflops or around 9?
Because his source told him the % and not the TFs?
Or because he can’t say the TFs to not discover his sources?

There are a lot of reasons.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Well if you zoom in on the text on the pc at the beginning it’s the pS4 code according to a dev and not ps5. So for sure it’s fake . Unless ps5 uses the same code name as ps4(orbis)
Well what’s handy if you have 1 OS to maintain over 3 systems ... PS4 -Pro , PS5 .. Just saying ...

ethomaz

Banned
So basically, VFX Veteran thinks that Horizon Zero Dawn on PC looked like this ...

5CSHQRi.jpg

... then they downgraded it for the PS4 to look like this ...

QYtq6B7.jpg

... and WHEN they make the PC port, it will look like this again.

zkcVuIT.jpg

Spoiler warning: It won't.
The game will probably be sharper with less aliasing but the graphics will continue being the same...

If I have to give an example the it will be like TLOU vs TLOU:R.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
1- GTA5 example proves sometimes developers are indeed using higher quality assets on PC exactly like you are saying, but that's just the exception to the rule. For some reason the vast majority of console ports arnt much improved, simple shadows resolution and LOD tweaks doesn't change graphics fidelity drastically and the main difference is always higher resolution and better framerate. Yes, Horizon on PC will look and run better compared to PS4 version but it will be still PS4 game at it's core.

That's actually not the exception to the rule. Every single multiplatform game this current gen had more than just increased shadow resolution. Some games had higher res textures, parallax occlusion mapping present, and tessellation as well as much higher LOD with some added assets. That's not even taking into account the some of the shader details like higher sampling rate for anisotropic filtering and much better approximation ambient occlusion. Some games use Nvidia Experience custom features like PhysX for hair and actual ray-marched volume smoke and dust (ala Batman AK). ALL of those things I stated is what the next-gen consoles will be doing as well. Hence, you've already seen next-gen like capabilities in the PC games already.

4- Games like Detroit or RDR2 proves it's not easy to max out the best looking console games on PC at 4K 60fps, because even 2080ti not always can do it, not to mention even slower 1080ti.

Agreed. but Detroit isn't the only game. There are more games that can overload the 2080Ti.

But I'm not expecting developers will waste GPU power just to run their games at 4K 60fps. More realistic scenario is something like 4K checkerboard or even 1800p, not to mention 30fps + VRS. With much faster drive (SDD will improve streaming speed drastically) and stronger CPU on top of that (many PS4 ports runs around 120 fps on ryzen 2 even with maxed out settings) developers will have plenty of hardware resources to use COMPARED to current gen consoles (and therefore we should expect big graphics fidelity increase compared to Xbox One and PS4).

And herein lies the problem. The stronger CPU will obviously be a big improvement, but you've already seen said games run on similar PC CPU hardware. There are still limits, so you are making an uneducated guess as to what you think the hardware "should" do compared with someone with experience that insists on what the hardware "can" do. My basis of opinion doesn't fall inline with yours.. so rather than believe I know a great deal about limits and hardware, you'd rather call me out on me knowing very little because it doesn't fit your imagination of next-gen and that's the reason why I get trolled.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I won’t say that comment wasn’t... fun...

But...

You would be surprised just how much better a game can look in 60fps with all details pushed out and at a nice native resolution. It really can make a huge difference in some cases, and Horizon was already a damn fine looking game limited by the hardware it was on.

Last edited:

Siliverin

Neo Member
Just need to remind you things that i said before for the last time\
GPU: PS5>SeX ~10%
RayTracing Accelerators: PS5>X1 (PS5's RT works by using acceleration structures and algorithms much like nVidia's RTX cores)
CPU: Sex>PS5 ~ 6%
Memory: PS5>Sex for the size and bandwidth
SSD: PS5>Sex ~ Over twice as fast (this is the biggest and most noticable difference)
Fan noise (Dev-Kit): Sex>PS5 (not as egregious 1x vs. Pro).

BTW it's up to you believe me or not, but things gonna be clear very soon and you will find out who knows and who knows shit.

Bonus?
Remedy and Housemarque have been in Sony's WWS family for a while now!

Techland belongs to MS now!

Hello you are doing well I hope. First of all I am sorry for my English. I am French.

I’m new to the website and I don’t know you. But I saw your comment about the studio buyouts and the technical specifications of the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

I signed up today to ask you a question. You seemed to be sure of what you were saying.

You said that Sony bought Remedy and Housemarque studios.I think you saw that tweets from Foxy Games UK and Tidux where they said that Sony had bought a studio. You think they were talking about the two studios you quoted in your comment ?You saw the rumor Kojima Productions too I think. Is that true ?

And have you heard of other studios that Sony want to buy right now from your sources? For example Ready at Dawn, Bluepoint Games or others. Thanks for the reply I hope you will answer. Sorry for inconvenience.

Nickolaidas

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens there are ports, and there are ports.

Games which are simultaneously made with a PC and consoles in mind have a good possibility of being quite better on PC (proving VFX Veteran's point, somewhat). An example? Crysis 3. A game which was mainly designed with a PC in mind as the target audience, and consoles as a secondary thought. You can clearly see it when comparing the versions.

Then there are ports of games which are materialized quite a long while after the original game is released. Like Resident Evil Revelations for the PS4, or Final Fantasy VII (the PSX original) for the PC. Those ports look slightly better and faster, but do not take advantage of the hardware at all. Why is that? Because these are 'lazy' ports, afterthoughts which are made in order for the publisher to make a quick buck.

Horizon Zero Dawn was never intended to be released as a PC version originally. As a result, it didn't have to be made with trillion grass textures or life-like character models. Resident Evil Revelations was made on the PC before being downgraded for the Nintendo DS, right? Why isn't the PS4 version of the game having superior physics, better visual effects and instead only has higher-resolution textures? Because it was never intended to be a PC/PS4/Xbox One X game, thus was never made with higher specs in mind.

Now, if Horizon 2 is made for both the PS5 AND a high-spec PC in mind, it is very possible to have a difference in quality equal to Crysis 3 on PCs and consoles.

VFXVeteran

Banned
project mara and hellblade 2 are running on xbox series x.

rebirth was running on a 1080ti.

yes, they are cutscenes but please go on and tell me how cutscenes in star wars jedi fallen order on pc look better than this.

Where is the quote that Project Mara and Hellblade 2 were running on the XSX? Show me this.

I can't get into a debate about the "look" of cutscense because that's a completely subjective opinion. I've gotten into way too much trouble trying to convince people that what they think "looks" better equates to better technology when that's so far from the truth it isn't even funny. Artistic talent has a HUGE factor into the looks of a game and less so about the power. To compare the look of Hellblade 2's mountains and rock terrain with the cutscenes in Jedi Fallen Order on a ship or a lightsaber battle are not apples to apples comparisons. 2 different environments, locations, props, FX, etc.. and has nothing to do with one game using more "tech" than the other. Also, I don't think I ever claimed that Jedi FO looks better than HB2. Where did I say that?

Last edited:
Because his source told him the % and not the TFs?
Or because he can’t say the TFs to not discover his sources?

There are a lot of reasons.
If his source told him only the % then he doesn't know the specs. Just the % difference.
If he knew the teraflops and only wanted to share % to protect his sources, he wouldn't be doubting between 9 and 12.
Anyway you look at it, what he says doesn't make sense.

You CANNOT be serious? Fn hell little Timmy alone is enough.
I almost believed Tommy until i hit the part where he said that techland and other publicly traded companies belonged to Microsoft and sony respectively then i knew he was full of $h!t. One can't just drop bags full of cash to acquire a company(most importantly a publicly traded company) without investors and others knowing about it. Have that been the case information surrounding the acquisition would have bled out in the outside world and both insiders and gamers would have known about it, just like what happened with InXile and Obsidian last year ,we learnt about them even before Phil announced it publicly at X018. Had any of these companies been acquired we would have known about it. Tommy's full of it, and it's apparent right off the bat.

Last edited:

demigod

If his source told him only the % then he doesn't know the specs. Just the % difference.
If he knew the teraflops and only wanted to share % to protect his sources, he wouldn't be doubting between 9 and 12.
Anyway you look at it, what he says doesn't make sense.

He said he knows the specs.

bitbydeath

I almost believed Tommy until i hit the part where he said that techland and other publicly traded companies belonged to Microsoft and sony respectively then i knew he was full of $h!t. One can't just drop bags full of cash to acquire a company(most importantly a publicly traded company) without investors and others knowing about it. Have that been the case information surrounding the acquisition would have bled out in the outside world and both insiders and gamers would have known about it, just like what happened with InXile and Obsidian last year ,we learnt about them even before Phil announced it publicly at X018. Had any of these companies been acquired we would have known about it. Tommy's full of it, and it's apparently right off the bat.

If anything occurred we should hear about it in the financials meeting next month.

Please provide a post where he said he didn't disagree with. According to his trademarks, HE NEVER SAID THAT

Gamernyc78

Banned
PC gamers are in for a treat.

g2ERUTC.gif

dhhxTbg.gif

K26ADLU.gif

Kd8GMce.gif

One of the best open world games I've played in my life and one of the most beautiful. The game I used share button the most 🤦‍♂️and on top of all tht its a well populated, lush world and never ran into any bugs. Guerilla you guys are indeed naughty gods as well!!!

BTW story and ranged combat was good as well imo.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Man I really need to play that game.
After finishing Spider-Man, I recently went back to this little beauty to finish the job.
EviLore EviLore could you please have a look at HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 recent posts and explain to us all how it would be possible for him to be vetted and posting in good faith?
Heisenberg has already explained. He has multiple sources with one giving him conflicting info. Which is why he isn't sure on the 12TF part. (If I remember correctly)

Gamernyc78

Banned
I know my backlog is really huge cause I've only been playing PS4 actively since mid last year so yeah.. :messenger_expressionless:

FML

Lol mine too just finishing Days Gone soon which is good BTW. After tht onto Detroit then Horizon dlc which I heard is awesome as well.

Hey you have a gd problem, enjoy bro.

Please provide a post where he said he didn't disagree with. According to his trademarks, HE NEVER SAID THAT
Not all of his relevant posts are in his threadmarks:
Here he says he 100% backs up everything Matt says answering to a post where they talk about Matt predicting Xbox to be more powerful in the end
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ion-launch-thread-ot7-nm.148625/post-26305316

Mostly they both say they will be neigh indistinguisable.

I think there is a more specific post from klee replying something along the same lines to the original post from Matt where he said he would guess xbox would end up on top, but I can't find it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom