• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1337

By the looks of your avatar, your wanting to be the meat in the sandwich and believe me i am bringing the mayo.

giphy.gif

Shmunter

I'm starting to feel like as this generation gets going, people will demand 60fps as a must have for most games and RT will slowly get forgotten. And maybe other rendering techniques (like UE's Lumen) will be used instead to emulate similar results.
I pray to everything that’s holy that people chose performance on Spider-Man. Sony can track the stats, I want a clear 60fps is king message sent. If not, we’re in for a potentially rough ride.

Last edited:

edotlee

sorry so this is actually a quick resume loading from your save
i need to get that right, its not loading some random level its actually from your last play?

Yes, from a save or a challenge objective that the developers have set up.
It also seems developers can set up global scoreboards for challenges and the UI will notify you when your score has been beaten.
This will be great for GT7.

Fordino

One way to look at it, an encouragement for devs to create next gen version.
Yeah I was thinking about this when the same was reported about Warzone.

If they have to go to the trouble of creating a separate (PS5) version, they’ll hopefully enhance it to support basic PS5 features, such as the enhanced (ultra fast) loading of textures from the SSD, support for cards, and other graphical enhancements, not just higher quality textures.

Just for everyone's information, I plan on owning every system which includes getting a big juicy navi rig next year, however Sony first party always impresses and I'm liking their overall choices going into next-gen over Microsoft. I do look forward to Scorn however as Giger is my favourite artist of all time and love the idea of walking around in a world inspired by his art, also Beksinski.

Last edited:

Thedtrain

give us your impression fish boy and i want a score out of ten, how far you into it :messenger_heart:
So far? About 6-7 hours in. Have a few valor plates, not really attempting to grind out yet but I can already tell that I will be chasing loot drops that give me the specs i want.
Combat is satisfying, you can chain so many combos before you need to disengage. The only negative thing in terms of gameplay so far is the way you dodge attacks. Doesn’t feel fluid - but maybe that’s a skill to unlock, I haven’t checked. The story is forgettable mostly but, like destiny, nailing the gameplay is more important.

It’s beautiful, it’s fucking bright - shit flashing and exploding everywhere, attacking bosses is fun, it’s a mindless grind thatgood retreat from my life duties.
7/10 on a normal scale

Thedtrain

I've been trying all the games so haven't spent a TON of time in Godfall yet...Demon's souls sucked me in for today...but I'm enjoying Godfall. It's different....beautiful and so far I'm having fun. I know it's getting harsher in reviews....not sure why. Maybe because it's not a Souls like game? But I'm liking it and glad I got it so far...a few hours in. I play stuff really slow and completionism so a few hours in for me..not that far. :)
Damn, I found myself chasing every chest in the first missions too. Keeping me from progressing too far but the chase for random legendaries is addicting lol

plus those damn extra missions after the main mission!

Last edited:
Just for everyone's information, I plan on owning every system which includes getting a big juicy navi rig next year, however Sony first party always impresses and I'm liking their overall choices going into next-gen over Microsoft. I do look forward to Scorn however as Giger is my favourite artist of all time and love the idea of walking around in a world inspired by his art, also Beksinski.
To be fair, there are games on both platforms are just timed exclusives. Games like Godfall, The Pathless, Scorn, The Medium and more of those "console launch exclusives" will end up in another consoles some time after their release. So when the time comes, the real exclusives will be the thing that matters the most.

3liteDragon

So the TMU method of ray-tracing was a hybrid approach? Didn’t even know that, I thought that’s how RDNA 2’s RT approach worked even after seeing them talk about the Ray Accelerator.

But the Series X has a Ray Accelerator as well, so why is it switching between texture operations and ray operations every clock cycle?

1w1b26w.jpg

Last edited:

jamwest24

Just a random question for everyone who has their PS5. I’m just paranoid, but is there a slight whirring noise from the fan when you are playing games? It’s not loud at all, but when you put your ear near it (with no tv sound on) can you hear a subtle whirring noise? Just checking and wondering how everyone else’s sounds to see if that’s normal.

Thanks in advance if you check!!

GameSeeker

Just a random question for everyone who has their PS5. I’m just paranoid, but is there a slight whirring noise from the fan when you are playing games? It’s not loud at all, but when you put your ear near it (with no tv sound on) can you hear a subtle whirring noise? Just checking and wondering how everyone else’s sounds to see if that’s normal.

Thanks in advance if you check!!

I have the same subtle whirring sound from my fan when I put my ear to the PS5. Not sure if normal or not.

inflation

So the TMU method of ray-tracing was a hybrid approach? Didn’t even know that, I thought that’s how RDNA 2’s RT approach worked even after seeing them talk about the Ray Accelerator.

But the Series X has a Ray Accelerator as well, so why is it switching between texture operations and ray operations every clock cycle?

1w1b26w.jpg
Everything will be clear when the white paper arrives.

jamwest24

I have the same subtle whirring sound from my fan when I put my ear to the PS5. Not sure if normal or not.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the info! I think I’ve heard it on the two PS5s I’ve seen in person (my own and my friend’s).

Mystic did some great tests as well. Go to 8:50 to hear what he describes as “coil whine” from the power supply. Apparently it’s common and normal.

jose4gg

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the info! I think I’ve heard it on the two PS5s I’ve seen in person (my own and my friend’s).

Mystic did some great tests as well. Go to 8:50 to hear what he describes as “coil whine” from the power supply. Apparently it’s common and normal.

My PC started to do coil whine a couple of days ago, and watching his video I discovered what it was 😅, very interesting

devilNprada

Model?

It cost $3500 two years ago and it's a Sony, its not gonna suck believe me. Don't understand why you have to choose between 4k 'or' HDR, it shouldn't be an issue!

A8F PS5 is saying either HDR or 2160p not both.. I have a 2.1 Hdmi cable but not the included cable...

M_A_C

A8F PS5 is saying either HDR or 2160p not both.. I have a 2.1 Hdmi cable but not the included cable...

It does 4K 4:4:4 you should be fine. Use the included cable.

Hello strange cloud.

2hG3eUo.jpg

Dude do you people hide the context and let the fud to spread? Lucy James from gamespot who did this video says at the very start of the video that they used the same save data to play the game which will have the both versions look identical in time of day. She even mentions there's a caveat and that you may see different clouds or no clouds due to it because of the dynamic nature of the game.

Dude do you people hide the context and let the fud to spread? Lucy James from gamespot who did this video says at the very start of the video that they used the same save data to play the game which will have the both versions look identical in time of day. She even mentions there's a caveat and that you may see different clouds or no clouds due to it because of the dynamic nature of the game.
My joke is about cloud tearing.

roops67

For real?! That's a kick ass TV you have there for its time and still holds its ground. It won't have 2.1 features like 120hz , but easily do HDR 2160p 60hz

You may have to enable Enhanced HDMI Signal format on your TV, you should find it in 'Settings' under 'External inputs' and then choose the HDMI port you got your PS5 plugged into

If still no joy or there's not settings like that, all I can think of is a bug in the PS5 firmware which should get ironed out in next version, you must report it to Sony if this is the case!

Edit: let us know if you get it working or not? would be interesting

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Eivor became Tearvor, I remember him and many bigger follower twitter people said they are all getting AC Valhalla, COD and other AAA third party games on Series X. All I'd say is probably wait for people to give feedback on which version provides the best experience if you own multiple consoles?

Atm i think ps5 is the best experience for assassins creed but it can go either way with other games, what i am sure of is, you can see both these games are not far off giving users a perfect experience.

Yes, there are some dips here and there on both consoles but in a month's or twos time, i imagine there will be a couple of patches for each and both versions will end up being stella.

Personally, i don't think people should buy the consoles with performance expectations of which will be better, but rather go on options like which controller do you prefer, do you like fast loading times, games library, exclusives, game pass, price etc bla bla.

The reason i say performance does not matter is that these machines rightly or wrongly due to engineering development or sheer genius are going to perform roughly the same.

console wars and stupid fanboys apart, gamers are true winners here, compared to those ridiculous over priced pc things.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Isn't XSX playing it in BC mode as well? I mean it's not like XSX is playing an XSX version of warzone because that ain't out yet!
Yeah, the series X can do 120 in BC mode. The PS5 cannot. There are a couple other games like Rocket League and Star Wars that have 120 mode on the Series X. They may be able to patch it in later, I guess.

Do we know why PS5 never got a patch for 120fps option for Warzone meanwhile XSX got it? Thoughts?
Infinity Ward hasn't made any comments about it but Rocket League is in this same situation and we have this quote from one of the developers that may explain why there isn't a patch for Warzone:
"Right now we have nothing further to share on additional PS5 plans, but can shed some more light on the why. Our team’s main focus this year was our recent free-to-play transition, and updating major features like our Tournaments system. Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn’t possible due to our focus elsewhere"
Basically you need to make a port rather than just a simple patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom