• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gediminas

Banned
Wonder if the thinking was, since Decima is already ported to PC why not release Horizon there too? It's like free money at this point. Not like it's selling PS4s anymore 3 years later.
but with this move, you are making precedent that other exclusives coming to PC too. that decreases value of your console and other games as a whole. exclusives powers consoles sales, not the other way around.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The value of ps5 maybe dropped, I find this doubtful but whatever, but the value of Sony just went up. More consumers in the ecosystem means more money for Sony.

R600

Banned
Imagine putting 1-2m more in dev of next UC or Spiderman and selling 30% more and asking "why"?

To me, Jim Ryan always looked like that kind of guy...its big revenue increase and they have to make shareholders happy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
@VFXVeteran redeemed, sorry I ever doubted you.
does this mean he was right about a 8 tflops ps5? now 9 tflops?

I mean this does make sense. $399 8 tflops ps5 aimed at causals while they are willing to lose enthusiasts to the PC.

i remember andrew house saying that he made the pro to keep ps4 players from jumping to PC which is why i was pretty sure they would release a powerful $499 12-14 tflops console but i guess hes gone for good and with him that approach to cater to gamers.

Niked

imo, it is a psnow push. To be competitiv, they need to let things run natively if they can. But yeah, without exclusives, consoles become shitty locked down pcs.
This! Exclusives that is tailor made brings a special admireation on what they can accomplish on the system. It shows also that "this system makes it possible to experience amazing games not possible (power, publishing, innovation, risk taking, etc) anyware else. You get hyped up for the games. It create a buzz.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Damn I thought Jason was gonna drop some PS5 news.... Still, pretty cool to see Horizon on PC, wonder what Sony will do with other exclusives

They will use the same strategy they are using with Psnow as not to cannabalize or ruin sales they'll wait about two years and allow them on pc like thy allow them on Psnow. It's a win/win bcus ppl still feel thy need to get the Playstation to play must have exclusives when thy drop but thy can get new sales later on via pc.

ethomaz

Banned
ok the follow up question:

“Why?”

Why is it so bad that more people can’t play good games? Why, as a gamer, would you not want more people in more people to experience things you enjoy? Seriously? It doesn’t invalidate your purchase or anything.

I’m really curious to see people’s take on this, because as a pc player first and foremost, I’m used to seeing many people in many places play many games, some with higher quality than me, and some without. And I don’t care, because if I enjoyed a game, I’m just glad more people will play it.

So....

Why?
There is a lot of reasons because it set precedents to for new Sony first-party games:

• Decreasing quality due being focused in multiplatform development.
  • Less specific use of platform features (I don't know what features PS5 will have but the changes to use it going multiplatform is near 0).
  • Less PS5 sales and so less user pool for multiplayer games.
  • PC games mess up the consoles multiplayer.
  • Less focus in PlayStation ecosystem.
I can go on.

It will just become like the bland and boring platform that everybody hates.

Maybe the way now is go Nintendo.

It is a huge mistake too... exclusives take Sony to the top and now they will just open again to failures.
I believe they will lose sales and userbase.

You can forget Sony games selling over 10 million being released on the small PS5 userbase and PC.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
but with this move, you are making precedent that other exclusives coming to PC too. that decreases value of your console and other games as a whole. exclusives powers consoles sales, not the other way around.

Doesn't decrease anything if thy use the same strategy they use with Psnow. Release the games two years plus down the line. Most ppl don't own a gaming pc to begin with and most won't want to wait tht long so they will still buy console.

Last edited:
500€ or 2000€ mmmh.... The masses wich system Will buy? 🤔
Not everyone is going to buy a 3080ti nor is that absolutely necessary.

Also, sites like Greenmangaming, Fanatical, CDKeys, and Chrono.gg allow PC gamers to buy games at lower prices. The lack of a PC storefront monopoly in comparison to the digital store monopoly on PS/Xbox also ensures competitive prices.

Reactions: Isa

ZywyPL

Banned
cTcoBKa.jpg

Keeping the pizza constantly warm, what a flawless design!

The rumor is floating around or quite some time, and I hope it's really true, so I can A) experience the game at its fullest, and B) just to see all those fanboys and their excuses - "the game wasn't even any good anyway, it's a no loss for the Playstation, GoW and TLoU2 are the true exclusives!!" xD

Gediminas

Banned
The value of ps5 maybe dropped, I find this doubtful but whatever, but the value of Sony just went up. More consumers in the ecosystem means more money for Sony.
PS+ raking a lot of money, if you neglect your console sales, PS+ goes down as well, decreases the number of console, lower income from PS+, from software too. instead that you release exclusives on you platform, you put on PC where you gonna pay 20-30%?

playstation management has change over last few years. best people moved on, now, it is new management and they are doing basically terrible job.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is a lot of reasons because it set precedents to for new Sony first-party games:

• Decreasing quality due being focused in multiplatform development.
  • Less specific use of platform features (I don't know what features PS5 will have but the changes to use it going multiplatform is near 0).
  • Less PS5 sales and so less user pool for multiplayer games.
  • PC games mess up the consoles multiplayer.
  • Less focus in PlayStation ecosystem.
I can go on.

It will just become like the bland and boring platform that everybody hates.

Maybe the way now is go Nintendo.

It is a huge mistake too... exclusives take Sony to the top and now they will just open again to failures.
I believe they will lose sales and userbase.

You can forget Sony games selling over 10 million being released on the small PS5 userbase and PC.
dont forget Sonypass.

Now xbox fans will realize how annoying it is to mention gamepass in every conversation.

nikolino840

Not everyone is going to buy a 3080ti nor is that absolutely necessary.

Also, sites like Greenmangaming, Fanatical, CDKeys, and Chrono.gg allow PC gamers to buy games at lower prices. The lack of a PC storefront monopoly in comparison to the digital store monopoly on PS/Xbox also ensures competitive prices.
So..no SSD and no raytracing...ps5 so Is the best way to play 🤔

Imagine putting 1-2m more in dev of next UC or Spiderman and selling 30% more and asking "why"?

To me, Jim Ryan always looked like that kind of guy...its big revenue increase and they have to make shareholders happy.
Jim Ryan was running PS Europe for longest time . He is not a new figure

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
PS+ raking a lot of money, if you neglect your console sales, PS+ goes down as well, decreases the number of console, lower income from PS+, from software too. instead that you release exclusives on you platform, you put on PC where you gonna pay 20-30%?

playstation management has change over last few years. best people moved on, now, it is new management and they are doing basically terrible job.

Its impossible to say they are doing a terrible job since we have no idea how Death Stradning and Horizon will sell. They could do gangbusters they could be timid.

Putting a game on PC does not neglect a console sale. it gives the consumers options.

PS+ is a good point but the idea paying to play online is becoming more insane by the day. Gold and Plus need to move into a different model to keep people subscribed.

So..no SSD

and no raytracing...ps5 so Is the best way to play 🤔
The RTX 3080ti will have raytracing and RDNA2 will have raytracing support. Khronos recently stated after updating Vulkan to 1.2 that raytracing support is coming up next along with other features. What are you on?

RookX22

Unless that engine ports flawlessly over i think people who think they have equivalent speced pcs to ps4 or ps4 pro might have some cut backs, i think to get same fidelity your looking at a 500+ $ PC atleast.

PocoJoe

Banned
If they import years old Sony exclusives to PC, who cares? Majority have already bought it for playstation anyway.

PS4 isnt like nintendo that you have to buy launch games year after year because nothing else (good) is released.

If they would go MS style and release games for PC and ps5 in the same time, that would not be so cool. But if they would sell and would not affect games/quality, I guess it would not be bad either.

ksdixon

I thought it was too good to be true. :'(
Good thing I kept myself only expecting the already-confirmed-by-sony ps4 back compatiblity.

Last edited:

Felessan

It won't get any new customers... in fact, if the PS5 design is as bad as 'Al's' leeked images, I am almost gonna cancel my deposit!

Yeah, why not just buy PC.... stupid asshats at Sony.
PC is know as a haven for selling old games, it actually has a poor result for new games and excellent for old games, compared to console space.
And it's not like guys that waits 3+ years to play a game, even though consoles are long past price concious consumers line, will get a particular console.

This would be true if PC would be a new focus, and not just cash-grab of 3-years-late port with unknown quality.
Game is a 3 years old, it's going cheap on PS even without sales. It's looks like standard " we will sell this title forever in sales and bundles and whatnot on a "guaranteed BC" platform that gives us a stable revenue stream for our back catalog" reason why publishers even bother with PC.

ZywyPL

Banned

And? It's not the console that brings the money, software is. Consoles are just a vessel, a media to reach the consumers which then generate revenue by buying games/services. Always have been, always will be.

Felessan

I think it's more or less giving Playstation fans a reason not to own one.

It's the same reason I think Xbox one sales tanked.

If you don't have to buy a specific piece of hardware to run something then it obviously won't sell well
It's not like Uncharted went to PC. Or TLoU. Or Bloodborne. Or GT Sport. Or most other high profile PS games.
As long as Sony will hold back some of it's big name in exclusive library - reason will stay.
And sharing some to PC crowd will actually temp them - "why should you wait 3 years" given them a practical example how PS game looks like, denying them a room for excuse "maybe game is not that good"

Rossco EZ

nothing wrong with a game going to pc after a few years, if they release games on the console and pc same day then yes that’s really bad for playstation. just sony’s way of increasing revenue, most of the people would of played it by that point anyway. people who wouldn’t of played an exclusive after a few years either doesn’t like it or just wont purchase a console for 1-2 games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
It's not like Uncharted went to PC. Or TLoU. Or Bloodborne. Or GT Sport. Or most other high profile PS games.
As long as Sony will hold back some of it's big name in exclusive library - reason will stay.
And sharing some to PC crowd will actually temp them - "why should you wait 3 years" given them a practical example how PS game looks like, denying them a room for excuse "maybe game is not that good"

Shit like this just might make me double dip 😁 I'd luv playing the game day one on console then few years down the line with mods on pc.

Rossco EZ

From my point of view it is a very bad move and more before the revelation of ps5, it is a mistake and it will affect sales.
why will it affect ps5 sales lol

Edit: or sales in general, it will increase sales of the game now. if you haven’t purchased it already for the years it’s been out you obviously wouldn’t want a console or don’t want to play the game enough, it’s really simple.

Last edited:

splattered

Sony is dipping their toes in the PSnow thing to see consumer reaction and adoption from adding some 1st party titles... if subscriber numbers skyrocket because they added some older 1st party games you can bet your butts they are going to start adding new 1st party games day one probably sooner rather than later.

Microsoft has a high subscription business model here and it does appear that Sony is realizing this and will soon try to catch up and at least run neck and neck if not pass them up eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom