• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
why will it affect ps5 sales lol

Edit: or sales in general, it will increase sales of the game now. if you haven’t purchased it already for the years it’s been out you obviously wouldn’t want a console or don’t want to play the game enough, it’s really simple.

Because this news makes PS5 lose value, many people will think that they prefer to wait for the pc version.

demigod

Sony is dipping their toes in the PSnow thing to see consumer reaction and adoption from adding some 1st party titles... if subscriber numbers skyrocket because they added some older 1st party games you can bet your butts they are going to start adding new 1st party games day one probably sooner rather than later.

Microsoft has a high subscription business model here and it does appear that Sony is realizing this and will soon try to catch up and at least run neck and neck if not pass them up eventually.

Day 1 would be a bad move, it would kill their sales. Sony games are single player to boot, people would sub 1 month and cancel.

Rossco EZ

Because this news makes PS5 lose value, many people will think that they prefer to wait for the pc version.
until it’s confirmed that all exclusives from now on will be on PC i don’t think you can say that. unless you know that every exclusive is going to be on PC then? it shouldn’t even be bothering anyone, it’s been out a while if you have a ps4 and wanted the game youve played it by now.. i don’t see all the fuss.

You have this very well thought out! A couple other concerns that have been floating in my head is if they end up doing a non-replaceable solution what happens when you eventually max out the IOPS of the chips and that internal non-removable drive shits the bed, that is my worry if they do down that path then eventually you are going to have an essentially 'bricked' console because of the failed drive. I also worry about Sony and MS going custom on the drives if they make them replaceable because we all know the premium you pay for a 1st party accessory, the drive will end up costing more than a similar drive online. I am super curious how they are going to approach the storage in the system, and it this point it is just a waiting game.

Brain hemorrhage?

Yeah, due to the wear that'd likely occur with that type of setup from particular power users, it would probably need to be a removable solution. But as for it being an additional peripheral, well that's just kind of the tradeoff, and it's preferable to it being non-removable. Plus, I think power users wouldn't have an issue paying for a second drive; they'd just treat it like purchasing extra controllers, or like buying a few more games.

They'd sell replacements for $200 :p

Good news? F that.
PlayStation have no clue what they're doing these days.... pack of clowns.

TBH it's not really that surprising. Sony's just as invested in this multi-platform support stuff as MS, they're just better at messaging it (i.e not really talking about it at all). They'll probably be doing 2/3-year gaps between PS and PC releases going forward.

Which is kinda smart; honestly I think that's how Microsoft should handle Xbox to PC releases, too; stagger them out a couple of years, release native PC version as a GOTY/Ultimate edition, and release that as an update patch on XSX simultaneously.

What was more surprising was Death Stranding's PC release date being dropped before the PS4 version came out.

Console warring kinda becomes irrelevant if this becomes norm. Play on PS, Xbox, PC or whatever, its gonna be few settings slider the difference so no reason to kill eachother over it. PS360 time still king in terms of fuckery lol

Quick, someone contact Trip Hawkins. His dream is finally (sort of) coming true!
co-head-trip-hawkins-at-consumer-electronics-show-hawking-interactive-picture-id50473071

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Good luck waiting years for highly anticipated games. Don't think Sony will release first party games on both Pc and Ps5 at the same time, there will always be at least a year or two of console exclusive.

Well, if you look at it closely, aside of GTA5, Sony are the one who are the most successful at double If you look at double-dipping, And as one o their exec said recently, it really looks that's how they'd handle releasing their own games on PC.

In marketing there is something very important and it is the perception of exclusivity, having an exclusive product gives value to your brand, that perception sells. Let them tell Apple.

devilNprada

Horizon went from being a tailor made shirt to an discounted half assed shirt at Walmart.
When you now can the shirt (Horizon) anyware (Walmart) there is no need to go to a tailor (Playstation) and buy it.

I don't think anybody is buying a PS for HZD at this point... HZD2 on the other hand!

Yeah, due to the wear that'd likely occur with that type of setup from particular power users, it would probably need to be a removable solution. But as for it being an additional peripheral, well that's just kind of the tradeoff, and it's preferable to it being non-removable. Plus, I think power users wouldn't have an issue paying for a second drive; they'd just treat it like purchasing extra controllers, or like buying a few more games.

They'd sell replacements for $200 :p

I think a customized solution like that is going to be the best as well and give us the fastest speed since they can control what chips, etc. go onto it. I just hope they don't rake us over the coals on the price and give us a full array of storage options, some people don't mind spending the extra $$$ for more storage space!

Fake

Which is kinda smart;
Don't work so well for Xbox division, but yeah.
I seeing people here and there change the ton of the music. 'Was a bad move for Microsoft, but somehow is a good move for Sony'.
I'll keep my opinion as the day Microsoft spoke about the PC focus. I hated when Microsoft said about bring their exclusives for PC and will do the same if Sony do as well.

Last edited:

Gudji

Good luck waiting years for highly anticipated games. Don't think Sony will release first party games on both Pc and Ps5 at the same time, there will always be at least a year or two of console exclusive.

PC gamers have the habit of waiting for games or big sales they want.
Even if, let's say, horizon 2 comes out on PC 2 years after it releases on PS5, people who game on PC will wait for it and won't budge on buying a console.
As long as people know sony games are coming to PC, the PS5 will be less desirable by those folks.

Unless your really don't like gaming on PC or can't afford the hardware, there won't be a big reason to get a Microsoft or Sony console.

PC = Xbox games + Sony Games + Best multiplatform games + PC exclusives like WoW for example.
All this with the best performance possible, depending on the amount you spend on hardware.

I'd even say PC + Switch will be the go to combo if you want everything.

These news completely killed my hype for PS5 and XSX.

Last edited:

Reindeer

PC gamers have the habit of waiting for games or big sales they want.
Even if, let's say, horizon 2 comes out on PC 2 years after it releases on PS5, people who game on PC will wait for it and won't budge on buying a console.
As long as people know sony games are coming to PC, the PS5 will be less desirable by those folks.

Unless your really don't like gaming on PC or can't afford the hardware, there won't be a big reason to get a Microsoft or Sony console.

PC = Xbox games + Sony Games + Best multiplatform games + PC exclusives like WoW for example.
All this with the best performance possible, depending on the amount you spend on hardware.

I'd even say PC + Switch will be the go to combo if you want everything.

These news completely killed my hype for PS5 and XSX.
I think Sony are doing the smart thing here by letting PC gamers get a taste of PS4 games so they go out and get a PS5 to play sequels. I highly doubt Sony will be porting their main games to PC for at least 3-4 years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why are so butthurt. Whinning like that doesnt make you look good dude.
let him whine. at least he isnt trying to appear to be impartial.

hes a sony fan and this is not good news for people who wanted exclusives. i also think this doesnt makes him look good but let the guy get it out of his system. this has not been a good few weeks for sony fans.

Rossco EZ

just to clarify, if playstation release every exclusive on PC and PS5 day one then yes, could be bad for playstation imo. if it’s 2-3 years down the line then i don’t see how it can be a bad thing, if you don’t buy the game in the first few months or first sale then you don’t want the game enough. all they are doing is now getting extra sales/money which is smart and i’m not sure how anyone can have a problem with that.

but at the same time there’s still also casual players who don’t have a PC and just want the box that plays the games they like, hence why xbox still sold millions of consoles this gen even though the exclusives could be played on PC.

Last edited:

Gudji

I think Sony are doing the smart thing here by letting PC gamers get a taste of PS4 games so they go out and get a PS5 to play sequels. I highly doubt Sony will be porting their main games to PC for at least 3-4 years.

There's already rumors of more games coming, including PS5 games. That russian guy that leaked the horizon news a few months ago said that.
We'll have to wait and see in the next few months but I honestly think sony is going MS route. No more console only exclusives.
They'll make more money, that's all that matters to be honest.

Reindeer

On the other hand Sony could be going in completely new direction under Jim Ryan and maybe that's why Layden left so abruptly. I'm still thinking Sony is just teasing PC gamers to make them buy PS5.

Last edited:

Reindeer

There's already rumors of more games coming, including PS5 games. That russian guy that leaked the horizon news a few months ago said that.
We'll have to wait and see in the next few months but I honestly think sony is going MS route. No more console only exclusives.
Everyone wants that GTA money these days lol.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
[/QUOTE]
Sony is dipping their toes in the PSnow thing to see consumer reaction and adoption from adding some 1st party titles... if subscriber numbers skyrocket because they added some older 1st party games you can bet your butts they are going to start adding new 1st party games day one probably sooner rather than later.

Microsoft has a high subscription business model here and it does appear that Sony is realizing this and will soon try to catch up and at least run neck and neck if not pass them up eventually.

Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Uncharted games were already on PS Now for years.

If anything, this will probably make Sony release games on PC through PS Now, but after the game hast been out for at least a year.

JLB

Banned
Imagine putting 1-2m more in dev of next UC or Spiderman and selling 30% more and asking "why"?

To me, Jim Ryan always looked like that kind of guy...its big revenue increase and they have to make shareholders happy.

You mean like every other CEO of a multinational company?

Reindeer

Lol dude PC gamers aren't buying a PS5 for games. Sadly for sony i don't think they have games PC gamers care for however.

Sony will have to move into the PC market if they wanna stay relevant, console gaming is dying rapidly.
How is console gaming dying? Both Sony and Nintendo are doing record numbers. PC market isn't that lucrative, look how poorly Microsoft games are doing on PC compared to Xbox.

That is the problem, if we make cases to the insider this is not something punctual and PS5 games will also arrive. They will not do it immediately, it will be gradual. For me, the leading company copying the third company model is a mistake.

Last edited:

Ellery

People get too emotional and blind about overthinking simple things.

I don't understand why wishing and clinging to fake rumors, random pastebins and numbers people have no idea about get them so upset and agitated.
It is much easier to look at the things we already have confirmed, to look at how things were handled in the past and to use logic and math.

And the worst of it all is that so many people reduce an entire console to a single number.

In all honestly I would pay money to see a video compilation of all the faces of the people that think anything below <insert random number from your ass> TFLOPs is a disappointment when Playstation decides to do an event and discloses the final specifications for the PS5 retail product that will be released this year.

Same kind of people that go to a car dealer, buy a car and are surprised when their Mazda 3 doesn't come with 2 Boeing 777 30.843 horsepower Jet Engines.
Same kind of people that thought the PS4 would use a GTX 680 with 3+ Tflops, but in the end they got 1.8 Tflops.

Are those people going to get a 14, 16 or 18 TFLOP Playstation 5? No, but Sony is still getting your money lmao.

Gediminas

Banned
10M sales on console + PS+ + PS5.
8M on console, 2M on PC. you loose PS+, console sales + 20-30% cut on PC for the game. i don't see how they will make more money. MS route is money burning process, desperate move. PS lost the plot

RookX22

Lol dude PC gamers aren't buying a PS5 for games. Sadly for sony i don't think they have games PC gamers care for however.

Sony will have to move into the PC market if they wanna stay relevant, console gaming is dying rapidly.
My only problem with this is hackers and unoptimized games. I cant even play Battlefield 5 on pc without a blatant hacker sucking up all the fun but that doesnt even count the hackers that just use it sparingly to get a edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom