• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptarmiganx2

This is the first time ever I have the spare money for a console day one.
Even though the prices in Brazil are kinda insane compared to other places (around 950USD). I'm seriously thinking about biting the bullet this time.
I’m an older gamer now, but I remember spending a months salary on my Sega Saturn on release day only to overdraw my account by not planning for sales tax! What’s crazy is the PS4 digital is the same price as the Saturn was at launch! Only this time my hourly pay is 42x higher. Of course after the wife gives me my allowance, it’s 1995 wages all over again. 😁

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Let me explain the data to you again,

- RDX podcast members like to do the thing we are discussing right now. When Xbox is losing a poll they shared with their fanboys.
- They are always able to do change the results a bit, use any of the previous examples I give you as proof of that.
- Social media priorities publications that can have a bigger impact, if they were able to make a poll of a random user (300 followers) get 3,000 votes because Twitter recommended their followers that retweet, a retweet to an bigger account like Richard's account will have a bigger display across their fans...
- All that combined with the fact that many of their fans might already follow Richard and Twitter algorith will combine the fact that they follow an RDX member and Richard so the Tweet will be view by more people.
- I'm not saying they put ALL the votes for Xbox, but I can easily see 6,000 votes been not influenced, but votes that might not been there if the account with 24K AND 18K didn't share them.
- Linneman is followed by all types of people, I don't think he saying anything will cause any change but point out a sentiment that is already there.
- RDX members have a Regular user section, people that dislikes Playstation, people that are FANBOYS of Xbox, so expecting results that favor Xbox at a high rate is normal.

Like I said before and this is my last post of today, I will keep track of the polls, and on the sales too, you know, let's see how much people want XSX after Spiderman and Horizon are cross platform and cost 70 in next gen...

So basically discord. LOL.

You are going straight to my ignore list after this reply,
but truth is all playstation fans were running for the last couple of months yapping how "next-gen" ps5 is and how "cross-gen shit" is xbox.
So, those that have some substance between their ears, they are able to understand when they are played. those that don't have, aren't.
Also, first parties and owners of their walled gardens do not give away 30% of their proceeds, so there is way more flexibility to offer a good service & a good price. We will see if microsoft will price their first party games at 80euros. -Even if they do, they still are offering them all on gamepass.
I wrote about it earlier, for many months the number one concern in here every single day was if ps5 would cost 100 bucks more or less.
And suddenly, all playstation fans are far and above any monetary subject. That is very funny to see.
bye now
Hey! On Demand!

Welcome to living rent free in Sharkboy's head! You can put your bags away later if you'd like. Take a seat and stretch out. Plenty of space in here.

Ok, thanks for activating my trap...

This is Tim making all his followers vote for XSX in another Poll which currently had 3,000 votes before it was deleted by the PS fanboy that post it...

Here you have another 3K poll where Xbox wins with 91%

¿Why? See the tagged users in the poll...

I don't get why some people frown upon console warring, but this is actually what makes console launch fun and funny at the same time. I mean look at those clowns trying to one up one other. 😂

Last edited:
Translation: “I can’t come up with a good counter argument, so I’m just going to spam the ignore button to maintain my safe space.”
You're about to catch a one-way ticket to his ignore list like me. Before end up here, can you do me a favor? Can you tell him if he's so bent on sending people to his ignore list, than maybe it would more productive to move himself over to Restera for an actual safe space.

PS5 base is weird. It has a stupid looking wing that clips onto the back of the console to hold it in place. Its not just a circle.

fBdsAUD.jpg

Premium butt plug. 😍

Kerlurk

Banned
Another question I have though is, knowing that the Series X has 52 active CUs with 4 disabled, how many of those CUs are actually being used in parallel and how many are just idle on a per-frame basis?

That would depend on what's being rendered.

Developers program to the strength of a system, so don't expect much inefficiency there.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I’m an older gamer now, but I remember spending a months salary on my Sega Saturn on release day only to overdraw my account by not planning for sales tax! What’s crazy is the PS4 digital is the same price as the Saturn was at launch! Only this time my hourly pay is 42x higher. Of course after the wife gives me my allowance, it’s 1995 wages all over again. 😁
Please buy me a sandwich comprised of Boar's Head oven roasted turkey, lettuce, and tomatoes. Feed me.

Very few games will want to bother supporting Dolby Vision because its expensive, and most users don't have a display capable of that standard.

I understand that PS5 users would want Dolby Vision support for UHD Blu-ray playback. But many PS5s will be digital only, and so I doubt Sony would want to pay Dolby for that.

Dolby Vision is just a higher standard. Most games can't even deliver well implemented HDR thats meets the HDR10 standard.

But if its that important, buy an Xbox. They are supporting Dolby A/V all the way.

I have 0 interest in owning an Xbox again after this gen, and especially now that I can get all of the MS exclusives on my PC through game pass. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want Sony to implement features like Dolby or HDR10+ even if it’s just for UHD playback.

HDR games have been a mess this gen and I hope that gets fixed moving forward, Dolby Vision or not.
Dolby Vision is used by many streaming services including Netflix, Prime Video and Disney+, so there are definitive benefits outside UHD BD. Other than that, I do not disagree, the benefits for a game over HDR10 is probably questionable as games typically do tone mapping and all that anyway. It's another buzz words XBox that put in their spec sheet, they like that.

That was actually something I was curious about. I know the difference is pretty drastic for DV in TV/Movies but if games don’t need the dynamic data for tone mapping then it’s a moot point.

Again, I just want there to be more consistent HDR implementations next gen because I hate seeing games cap out at 600 nits or have terrible calibrations.

I have 0 interest in owning an Xbox again after this gen, and especially now that I can get all of the MS exclusives on my PC through game pass. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want Sony to implement features like Dolby or HDR10+ even if it’s just for UHD playback.

HDR games have been a mess this gen and I hope that gets fixed moving forward, Dolby Vision or not.

That was actually something I was curious about. I know the difference is pretty drastic for DV in TV/Movies but if games don’t need the dynamic data for tone mapping then it’s a moot point.

Again, I just want there to be more consistent HDR implementations next gen because I hate seeing games cap out at 600 nits or have terrible calibrations.
Gaming plus HDR on an OLED will sure get interesting this upcoming generation. Waiting on reviews for whenever TCL Vidrian sets come out. Also, yes, the HDR situation is all over the damn place. Not something I've put too much thought into when buying a new TV. Just hope these companies agree on some standard for gaming at some point.

Gaming plus HDR on an OLED will sure get interesting this upcoming generation. Waiting on reviews for whenever TCL Vidrian sets come out. Also, yes, the HDR situation is all over the damn place. Not something I've put too much thought into when buying a new TV. Just hope these companies agree on some standard for gaming at some point.

I’ve got a R615 and I’ve had a pretty solid HDR experience but I would love to have an OLED or LED with >1000 full screen nits. I really do think it makes a huge difference in games and want to see more consistency next gen.

I know PS4 implemented the HGIG calibration so I hope that calibration becomes standard next gen vs just a few games.

kyliethicc

I think Sony and Microsoft as the platform holders have an obligation to force game publishers to improve on this aspect.

Its much harder to figure out what A/V formats/specs games support, unlike with movies/shows on Blu-rays.

I think Sony and Microsoft should require all games published to support a basic Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio mix, not even 7.1 or the higher lossless formats, etc, but just that basic surround formats (along with PCM options.)

Additionally, for video, all game publishers should be forced to support the HDR10 standard for all games. That would be a good first step. HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG, all of those could remain optional for devs to support or not.

All games supporting HDR10 and 5.1 DTS/Dolby surround would be a solid minimum base line for gaming A/V, because every game will also be able to output a 4K video signal. Then the stuff like Sony's Tempest 3D audio, TrueHD/Atmos, DTS-HD MA/DTSX, or Dolby Vision, HDR10+, all of that could be built on top of that baseline over time.

And game cases and store pages need to make listing all of these A/V specs more clear.

Nickolaidas

Because you can then pay 80€ for your games, and don't have a service like Game Pass? Yeah, so much better value 🙄
I think this will be the gen where we will see how much of a negative effect (if any) Game Pass has on the budget and quality of the X-Series console exclusives. Really curious to see.

If Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed and Halo Infinite end up looking like very pretty last gen games, we'll have our answer.

I think Sony and Microsoft as the platform holders have an obligation to force game publishers to improve on this aspect.

Its much harder to figure out what A/V formats/specs games support, unlike with movies/shows on Blu-rays.

I think Sony and Microsoft should require all games published to support a basic Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio mix, not even 7.1 or the higher lossless formats, etc, but just that basic surround formats (along with PCM options.)

Additionally, for video, all game publishers should be forced to support the HDR10 standard for all games. That would be a good first step. HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG, all of those could remain optional for devs to support or not.

All games supporting HDR10 and 5.1 DTS/Dolby surround would be a solid minimum base line for gaming A/V, because every game will also be able to output a 4K video signal. Then the stuff like Sony's Tempest 3D audio, TrueHD/Atmos, DTS-HD MA/DTSX, or Dolby Vision, HDR10+, all of that could be built on top of that baseline over time.

And game cases and store pages need to make listing all of these A/V specs more clear.

I agree 100%. If there was a minimum requirement for lossless 5.1 and 1000 nit HDR I would be happy. Forget Atmos and Dolby Vision if we’ve got that covered.

Honestly, video and audio standards have become so messy and inconsistent over the past few years I just hope things straighten out. There’s no reason why a TV can qualify as HDR with a fraction of the recommended max brightness and color gamut.

Felessan

I am not a poll expert but I dont think ANY dog can manipulate a 40k sample. especially in twitter its one vote per account, so he could have retweeted 1.000 times and it would make very little difference.
Had this dog have such power, he would do something else with his time.
It can be easily seen from other polls that 40k sample is rather weak with stability of result. When results have difference of 30+% for ps5 it means that this polls are just useless to represent anything (they are mostly useless anyway, because majority doesn't care about dark1x or similar twitters at all, so sample limited to fans only those are not representative in any way)
And poll promoted by xbox fans and on the twitter of guys known to have a close relationship with MS doesn't inspire confidence in reliability.

Yeah, of course, for your agenda it's a perfect poll out of many, because it gives you the most desired result. Cherry picking at it's best.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
But what if you are more interested in XSS's console exclusives instead of PS5's console's exclusives? Why are you an idiot then?
xbox has exclusives? which ones? because if i want to play xbox ''exclusives'' it is enough to have a PC.
Because you can then pay 80€ for your games, and don't have a service like Game Pass? Yeah, so much better value 🙄
yes i can, and after i played them i can resell them. can you resell game pass? :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤡

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

What was holding HZD back though? The game was made for PS4 and PS4 only...
I gotcha, what I’m saying is they don’t need a massive upgrade to be “next-gen”. We saw what Kojima squeezed out of Decima on PC. Imagine that on a closed box with improved 4K assets from Guerrilla. Throw in no load times. That’s next-gen enough for 2021. Will it be held back? Yes, a bit. Will it leave anyone wanting? I don’t think it will. I think it sets the industry benchmark along with MM. Will it hold up to GOW2 if it’s next gen only? Prob not, but then again as Playstation gamers we are use to Sony raising their own bar. I’m betting the farm that Days Gone 2 on UE5 gets an Uncharted to Uncharted 2 level transformation and rocks us all! Quote me. 😁

Last edited:

CraZed

Way to go you lazy sobs, you've ruined cyberpunk for the rest of us

So sorry m8. I was one of those people. I got so busy delving into side quest after side quest then my ADD kicked in and I went back to playing FO4 doing side quest after side quest (and installing every mod I can get my system to handle), but again my ADD kicked in and I went back to Skyrim, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Control HZD, and a bunch of other games and well I think I may have finished like two of those. I still haven't finished GoT. It's a problem. I am not seeking help.

Can't you just pop your PS4 disk into your PS5 and play it? Serious question...
The enhanced version of spiderman is locked behind miles morales and costs 79e
When my other console AND many third parties are giving me these upgrades for free, 79e seems theft.
Spiderman ps4 was the game that sony showed to spin the SSD, cerny too in his show.

It can be easily seen from other polls that 40k sample is rather weak with stability of result. When results have difference of 30+% for ps5 it means that this polls are just useless to represent anything (they are mostly useless anyway, because majority doesn't care about dark1x or similar twitters at all, so sample limited to fans only those are not representative in any way)
And poll promoted by xbox fans and on the twitter of guys known to have a close relationship with MS doesn't inspire confidence in reliability.

Yeah, of course, for your agenda it's a perfect poll out of many, because it gives you the most desired result. Cherry picking at it's best.
I invited him to post more polls. I invite you too. do you have any after the sony show? post them!

I really don't care about this bullshit narrative that there is this xbox secret society that goes and hijacks DF polls of 40k participants.

Last edited:

Felessan

I invited him to post more polls. I invite you too. do you have any after the sony show? post them!
I really don't care about this bullshit narrative that there is this xbox secret society that goes and hijacks DF polls of 40k participants.
I don't care about "online polls on some random twitter" because they are unreliable. If you are an analyst (as you claim to be the one) you should know better.
I judge by facts, and currently fact is that ps5 is selling like crazy, giving a lot of frustration due to fast sell-off.
Will xbox be able to copy such success - we will see in 2 days.
And xbox fans can always continue to hide their insecurity behind such "polls".

Nickolaidas

xbox has exclusives? which ones? because if i want to play xbox ''exclusives'' it is enough to have a PC.
I said CONSOLE exclusives. Not everyone has a next-gen ready gaming PC rig.
I have a PS4 and a PS4 pro and I generally love Sony because of the great ps exclusives, but man the PS5 is one ugly motherfucker ! 😳😳
DStwqgB.jpg

20epoTS.jpg
Eh, the photos don't do it justice. Angle, camera quality ... all these play a factor. I guarantee if you have it standing up and not have your face stuck on the surface on the console, it'll look a lot prettier.
I'll bet you five bucks that the remastered Spider-Man edition will be on sale on its own after a while.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
or maybe i live in reality, and that what gamepass is. if you are in denial and blind, does not mean some others are too.

but you know, if it is good for you, then it is good for you :messenger_tears_of_joy: i like to own things.
I guess you don't have Netflix, Spotify or similar services? You still buy movies/series on disk and CD'S. Because you know, you like to own things

I have a PS4 and a PS4 pro and I generally love Sony because of the great ps exclusives, but man the PS5 is one ugly motherfucker ! 😳😳
DStwqgB.jpg

20epoTS.jpg
It is ridiculously big and disgusting. Where were the designer when choosing the design? Sleeping?
And I am also afraid about the heat dissipation. Was it too difficult to implement the vapor chamber like One X/Series X?
Maybe Sony will learn something after buying Series X and analyzing it from the inside. Boeing 747 landing in our rooms one more time like ps4 and ps4 pro.

Darius87

Bumped into this a while back, some interesting stuff, maybe related to how the PS5 APU functions. Can’t seem to find the orignal tweet, he may have deleted it.

KRdUr4U.jpg
coherency engine and cache scrubbers is gonna be biggest advantage for PS5 GPU, also cache scrubbers is a new tech which isn't practical on PC i remember reading something about coherency in java apps improves bandwidth up to 50% if that's the case for PS5 theoretically it's bandwidth could reach 672GB/s of bandwidth.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I guess you don't have Netflix, Spotify or similar services? You still buy movies/series on disk and CD'S. Because you know, you like to own things

That and because the quality of movies on discs is reliable (COVID-19 induced demand showed how overpromised and under delivered the streaming side of things is) and higher.

Sure, keep on believing that a 80-90+ Mbps .h265 disc version bitrate is comparable with a 15-20 Mbps one... do not notice banding, low bitrate artefacts in high contrast, maybe lots of shadows, and fast moving camera shots.

It is cute when the new thing is defended as having to be better because it is new and no critical thinking seems to be applied on how the minor convenience of digital has a large price that maybe just maybe it is not worth paying for if you cared about the TV set you paid for ;).

Last edited:
When my other console AND many third parties are giving me these upgrades for free, 79e seems theft.
Spiderman ps4 was the game that sony showed to spin the SSD, cerny too in his show.

Relax and reflect my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom