• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

$70 game
remove Sony Cut?20%
remove distribution, retailers. ad etc 25%?
revenue Microsoft 100% minus 45% = 55%
55% of $70 = $38.5

Going Xbox, PC exclusive, $70 game
remove distribution, retailers. ad etc 25%? = 75% revenue Microsoft
75% of $70 = $52.5 (+36% higher revenue per sold copy)
times 1,000,000 copies = one porsche taycan turbo for every employee
You forgot the calculation for 'Going Xbox, Pc exclusive, Gamepass Ultimate', which is going to be 90% of cases.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Congratulations for your kids, but you are dead wrong and offending by calling me a SCALPER!
Neither PS5 is for reselling. One is for me, one is for another family member.

Then, your definition of which games are to be enjoyed and how, ... cool and all, but its just your definition.
Also, you seem to miss the fact that gamepass is not just about availability. more than that its about providing value to a platform.
You can enjoy all games that will be on gamepass in your 75'' dolby vision panel & home theatre, not just your mobile or your laptop.

Lastly, its like you said, "next-gen sales pitch" for sony. And if you are calling yourself someone who "has been gaming for so long that has reached a zen", I suggest you re-think how for example a ps3-gen remake, with exactly the same gameplay, has you considering it "cutting edge next gen gameplay", because maybe, just maybe that sony sales pitch is good enough to trick you and your zen, like I generally said in the post you quoted.

my two cents

In all seriousness, that bit about a PS3 remake is disingenuous. We all know that the basic mechanics on most games if not all games, hasn't really evolved in the past decade at least. So you could call just about ANY 'next gen' game that's been shown so far a current gen or previous gen game that's just been fancied up with graphics. That's not really fair though, is it. Plus, there is a vast difference between a 'remake' and a 'remaster.' Take a look at the Dark Souls remaster as a good example. I haven't seen screen shots side by side, but I struggled to see what was current gen about it at all other than frame rate (thank God!). Graphics really didn't seem improved or improved MUCH at any rate.

Now what you see with Demons Souls...I seriously doubt they're using any of the old assets or if so, they've TREMENDOUSLY re-worked them. Also, the mechanics have been changed as we can see in the trailer. So that means the code around combat and player control has been CHANGED, not simply ported.

Bottom line, that type of 'remake' or 'remaster' is clearly more work and you get more benefit from it as a gamer. So if people want to buy it...fine. With those other standard remasters I think I tend to look at them like you seem to. Maybe it's the only way to play that game on your current box, but damn...makes me cringe a little. Hey...maybe we'll have the machine learning miracle someday and have a graphics card that can automatically IMPROVE graphics over time so that a 'remaster' would actually have current gen graphics as well? I can dream... But getting back to the main point, whether a game is a new IP, a remaster or remake, I can't think of a single example of true 'cutting edge gameplay' in the past 10 years or more. They're all basically the same, depending on the type of game you're playing.

There's just not much if any innovation in gameplay happening....... :(

Last edited:
Did Sony blow their wad on showing all the exclusives? I'd have to imagine they still have more to show in games...right? I hope. :messenger_weary:

There's no way God of War is going to release in late 2021. FF either. That seems way too optimistic.

Last edited:
I need to go back to this specific screenshot I've made previously. This is probably the most raytraced screenshot! Just look at the details of the textures on the wall casting dynamic, raytraced shadows! Overall graphics is wonderful! I think Sony should first acquire Bluepoint, and let them produce their own game for the first time!

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h37m50s520.png

Absolutely incredible How clean and Sharp It looks, and some Textures there are on par with the UE5 demo, no doubt

Game is ridiculously beautiful

Wow this Thread is one for the ages

Im sure once the Consoles are out it will be quite. People wont come back until GDC. Im not coming back until GDC maybe. I'll ask for a few PSN's. And keep it moving.

I mean, fallout engine feels like early PS3 games, even PS2 is still far superior. Would they spend another $1-2 for all those titles in this gen? Can't see that.

You saw how Craig looked. You saw the VRS & Velocity architecture , what ever BS name they got. Fallout fits the xbox just right. They will pay extra. These fools like paying services.

I mean, fallout engine feels like early PS3 games, even PS2 is still far superior. Would they spend another $1-2 for all those titles in this gen? Can't see that.
Bo, just because sony for their own reasons do not allow the wealth of mods to be used in your game, be it fallout or skyrim, that doesn't mean that you are right when saying "fallout is ps3, even ps2 was superior" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
that's a playstation only thing my beduin friend :messenger_beaming:

Man I hope we at least get that Silent Hill that has been rumored forever. What's Sony Japan working on? Hell, maybe we'll get lucky with a Bloodborne 2. Where the hell is From Software these days anyway? Elden Ring was announced and utter silence. They haven't said anything. It seems odd a company so important to these systems hasn't even been in any press conference or said anything. Something up their sleeve? One can hope.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Im sure once the Consoles are out it will be quite. People wont come back until GDC. Im not coming back until GDC maybe. I'll ask for a few PSN's. And keep it moving.

You saw how Craig looked. You saw the VRS & Velocity architecture , what ever BS name they got. Fallout fits the xbox just right. They will pay extra. These fools like paying services.

Well, I won't get into Craig but both your statement and Bo's kinda backs up what I was saying elsewhere that actual GAMEPLAY hasn't changed much over a LONG period of time. Fallout 3 on the PS3 played pretty much like Fallout 4 on PS4...4 was just a lot prettier. Some of the same BUGS even exist between the two which tells us that likely at least some of the code is just reused! Not picking on Bethesda either...it's everyone. Tell me what advances in gameplay the Assassins Creed series has had? Nothing I've seen beyond some efficiencies and 'quality of life' type game improvements. Other than that, it's just better graphics version to version and generation to generation. Souls type games...I won't spare those either. Different scenes and prettier pictures...very formulaic gameplay.

So as some likely to try and apply just to 'cross gen' games to claim they're being 'held back,' I say "What's been holding the WHOLE INDUSTRY back over the past 10+ years???" :)

Sinthor

Gold Member
Bo, just because sony for their own reasons do not allow the wealth of mods to be used in your game, be it fallout or skyrim, that doesn't mean that you are right when saying "fallout is ps3, even ps2 was superior" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
that's a playstation only thing my beduin friend :messenger_beaming:

So this proves my point then that ALL 'next gen' games and games in general are just fancy mods that up the graphic fidelity! :)

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it, now the big question is what is the other big launch exclusive which Sony have not yet revealed?

The only details MLiD dropped was that Mark Cerny was working on it and that "it is a revival of a mainstay of Playstation, one that used to be a bigger franchise".
So I guess the answer is Metal Gear Solid.

If true I'm curious why Mark Cerny was working on it, the crazy bastard might be able to pull of a lot of cool stuff with the game on a visual and technical level. Only time will tell.

Neo Blaster

I for one do hope MS has some sort of proper japanese presence via purchase. For years sony has got exclusives by default from japan. Something like this rumor would put that to a rest and put MS on a more even footing with Sony. Sony pushed MS to be better after MS pushed sony to be better.

Everyone wins
Using your economic power to buy big studios and potentially lock a userbase out of games is not being better, this money wasn't used to foster quality games.

jose4gg

looks like ~60-40 split on first, ~70-30 split on second

Yea, that's why I told you Sony always wins 65%-70% 🙂

And this is with all the news, Sony transition period games, MS Bethesda acquisition...

Sony has to do something extremely bad like put DRM in their console be $100 more expensive requiring the user to buy a camera and be 40% less powerful with significantly worst RAM in order to lose their fanbase at a massive rate.

They delivered 7 great years to PS4 owners, to think people are going to jump from one console to the other for a couple of bad news, is thinking people forget their experiences easily.

So this proves my point then that ALL 'next gen' games and games in general are just fancy mods that up the graphic fidelity! :)
hahaha nooope! you do a quick google search on mods that enhance and deepen the gameplay elements of Skyrim for example.
in fact there are more mods that have to do with gameplay than with graphics.

Sinthor

Gold Member
hahaha nooope! you do a quick google search on mods that enhance and deepen the gameplay elements of Skyrim for example.
in fact there are more mods that have to do with gameplay than with graphics.
So then you're saying that mods provide better 'cutting edge gameplay' than studios like Bethesda do? Because mods are not "game developers," they are modders. I think you just made my point even better for me, because of course you're right...those Skyrim mods for example have done way more for that game than the "developer" has! I mean, you have to credit the developer with the original idea and code base, of course...but what would have prevented say Bethesda from developing those types of mods themselves and selling them to you as "Skyrim 2.0" or something like that? Absolutely nothing. So once again...not cutting edge gameplay. And truly...not sure what mods actually enhance the gameplay as much as the graphic mods enhance the graphics. I'm sure I don't know every mod for Skyrim...but you see my point. I mean even you say 'enhance and deepen' gameplay. So what real advances have been made? I just don't see 'cutting edge gameplay' from ANYONE right now.

I sure don't think that turning to GaaS will fix that either. If anything that will drive revenue but as we've see so far mostly for stupid cosmetic 'thingies' that people want to buy, not actual gameplay advancement.

Last edited:
Absolutely incredible How clean and Sharp It looks, and some Textures there are on par with the UE5 demo, no doubt

Game is ridiculously beautiful

I can only class the look as weird. Because I haven't adjusted to the look. Probably because there's only 2 visuals at this level. UE5 & DS. But that is the next gen look.

Well, I won't get into Craig but both your statement and Bo's kinda backs up what I was saying elsewhere that actual GAMEPLAY hasn't changed much over a LONG period of time. Fallout 3 on the PS3 played pretty much like Fallout 4 on PS4...4 was just a lot prettier. Some of the same BUGS even exist between the two which tells us that likely at least some of the code is just reused! Not picking on Bethesda either...it's everyone. Tell me what advances in gameplay the Assassins Creed series has had? Nothing I've seen beyond some efficiencies and 'quality of life' type game improvements. Other than that, it's just better graphics version to version and generation to generation. Souls type games...I won't spare those either. Different scenes and prettier pictures...very formulaic gameplay.

So as some likely to try and apply just to 'cross gen' games to claim they're being 'held back,' I say "What's been holding the WHOLE INDUSTRY back over the past 10+ years???" :)

I said it before ,I'll say it again. Bethesda whole roster is mid level. They are just not in conversation of great games. We wasn't checking for their games this gen. Why would we check for it next gen.

But on the rest of your post the visuals always get better because of hardware. But theres always improvement they are just small things. People ignore. There's been massive Improvements in camera work, animation, sound, story ,acting. My favourite improvement is Animation. But overall the improvements have been there.

I don't know bro. I always accepted that these are games. Not movie level stuff. The game has to play fun first then the rest. You just cant escape templates/formulas in games imo.

Maybe you just have crazy expectations of games??

Last edited:
So then you're saying that mods provide better 'cutting edge gameplay' than studios like Bethesda do? Because mods are not "game developers," they are modders. I think you just made my point even better for me, because of course you're right...those Skyrim mods for example have done way more for that game than the "developer" has! I mean, you have to credit the developer with the original idea and code base, of course...but what would have prevented say Bethesda from developing those types of mods themselves and selling them to you as "Skyrim 2.0" or something like that? Absolutely nothing. So once again...not cutting edge gameplay. And truly...not sure what mods actually enhance the gameplay as much as the graphic mods enhance the graphics. I'm sure I don't know every mod for Skyrim...but you see my point. I mean even you say 'enhance and deepen' gameplay. So what real advances have been made? I just don't see 'cutting edge gameplay' from ANYONE right now.

I sure don't think that turning to GaaS will fix that either. If anything that will drive revenue but as we've see so far mostly for stupid cosmetic 'thingies' that people want to buy, not actual gameplay advancement.
Bethesda did build the mod systems, embodied them right into the game interface, complete with browsers and ratings so that they are useful even for people that don;t know shit. So don't go underestimating them. And yes, as I told you there is a wealth of mods that deepen and enhance the gameplay itself. and we are talking about rpg's here, never forget that.
Since you are not familiar, you should investigate before jumping to conclusions

Redlight

Love the damage control in this thread.

I didn't see any.
I see people are saying it is huge. But no one is damage controlling anything.

Show don't tell

There are none so blind as those that will not see.
The below from just a couple of pages...

Tbh im really sure thats last xbox console. They will just sell gamepass on PS5 and PCs and wont bother with sales of their own consoles. Its easier to make cash on every sold playstation than competing with them.

That's also what I think they should do. Buy developers not publishers. Bethesda is not a good move by Microsoft, they will have to undergo synergy sooner or later ( no matter what the PR says).

Just saw a friend share this on Facebook

aZPR4uC.jpg

Think I’ve seen the words “Game pass” so many times in the past 24 hours that they no longer register as real words.
God I’m sick of hearing about game pass

Don't forget all these games need money to be made, MS already spent billions just for the acquisition. If the majority of them means low quality MT-infested Gamepass fodder, then Sony shouldn't be worried at all.

The problem is that a lot of people don't understand that if a company wins that it'll be only a short win for consumers.... For example Microsoft winning with Gamepass would only be a short win for consumers, because at the moment consumers get games super cheap, but long term will be higher prices or mediocre games. Same for Sony... If Sony had no real compition it would be good for consumers short term. They would get all games on just one platform, but long term they will suffer too from higher prices and stagnating tech. Therefore we need a healthy compation between Microsoft and Sony that they both get their balls straight and push themselves with tech, games and services!

Of course it sucks at the moment that game a is only on PS5 and game b only on XSX, but long term it helps us consumers!

If Microsoft think they can buy studios tow win it does not work like that fi it is like that they would win long time ago
Microsoft unfortunately can not make good services zune , mixer, windows phone even the last duo phone
to win you must have a studios with unified vision and excel in something special nobody can do it like u
because of that nintendo is winning , sony is winning, apple is winning, etc
buying many studios without unified vision and huge numbers like 23 studios is very hard to manage or control their quality

Nobody will care. PS5 will decimate them in sales... Xbox is not popular in Europe and globally it will never be number 1 except with the outside chance in USA.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I can only class the look as weird. Because I haven't adjusted to the look. Probably because there's only 2 visuals at this level. UE5 & DS. But that is the next gen look.

I said it before ,I'll say it again. Bethesda whole roster is mid level. They are just not in conversation of great games. We wasn't checking for their games this gen. Why would we check for it next gen.

But on the rest of your post the visuals always get better because of hardware. But theres always improvement they are just small things. People ignore. There's been massive Improvements in camera work, animation, sound, story ,acting. My favourite improvement is Animation. But overall the improvements have been there.

I don't know bro. I always excepted that these are games. No movie level. the game has to play fun first then the rest. You cant escape templates/formulas imo.

Maybe you just have crazy expectations of games??

Yeah, I know what you're saying. You're probably right too that for certain types of games there's just so many ways to execute mechanics, right? I'm not griping about the games..just using that as a counter point to those who like to say things like "cross gen games hold gaming back," because it's really BS. A new Assassins Creed developed "from the ground up" for XSX and PS5 would probably play just like the cross gen version we're getting.

I mean, if you think about it like with computers, what really made the last MASSIVE change in computers and how we used them? The invention of the mouse and a graphical interface. Other than that...the fancy gaming PC you spend $5k on today is just a jumped up 286 running a fancier version of Windows (or Mac OS if you go that route).

Maybe that's it. Maybe the next real INNOVATION in gameplay will be driven by VR? Or some new interface that just reads our motion kind of like what they tried to do with Kinect?

But anyway, that's my point. People talking about 'cutting edge gameplay' largely are full of it. Because the formulas we have now will be what are continuing to be used unless and until some new innovation...probably in hardware...pushes that change.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Bethesda did build the mod systems, embodied them right into the game interface, complete with browsers and ratings so that they are useful even for people that don;t know shit. So don't go underestimating them. And yes, as I told you there is a wealth of mods that deepen and enhance the gameplay itself. and we are talking about rpg's here, never forget that.
Since you are not familiar, you should investigate before jumping to conclusions
No, not the 'mod system.' Building support for mods in just cedes the ability for improvements to come from the modding community.

Well, I did ask you for an example of something that truly changes the gameplay in a fundamental way. I haven't seen that to exist, though that's going to be subjective so it's up to argument. Again, my point is, there ISN'T any 'cutting edge gameplay' so it doesn't MATTER if you buy that remastered game like Dark Souls versus say a remade Demons Souls. The gameplay formula will be pretty much the same. Just not a whole lot of innovation really possible at this point, I don't think, until we get some new type of hardware...or maybe VR will be that answer. I dunno. But other than having that kind of REAL innovation....you might as well call Skyrim even with all your mods a jumped up Fallout 3 PS3. Because in reality, it IS. Just fancier graphics and some evolutions in game mechanics..but otherwise the same formula type game.

Not saying that's BAD. Just saying people talking about "cutting edge gameplay" this and that, really don't have much to substantiate that, and what there is...is highly subjective. That's all.

Using your economic power to buy big studios and potentially lock a userbase out of games is not being better, this money wasn't used to foster quality games.

Seems fine to me. Sony/Nintendo should off been on job & not allow the situation to get like this.They should off kept being aggressive & not fall for this cumbaya lets all be gamer BS. Whilst the competition was buying things around them boxing them in.

It's the game baby. Sony should be on job end off. If your a champion, you play to stay champion.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I feel Like Xbox Series S/X pre orders where worse then PS5’s. Though I got my Xbox Series X in the end! I hope everyone got their pre orders that wanted one!
KnzyG7z.jpg

Q8sieUW.jpg

I’ve noticed a change in some of the language Best Buy are using with some pre orders. I have some games that say get it by x date (x being release date). Others, and consoles showing we’ll ship it by x date (x being release date). I wonder if they’re starting to get away from promising orders by release date so they don’t have to give compensation through customer service.

Neo Blaster

Seems fine to me. Sony/Nintendo should off been on job & not allow the situation to get like this.They should off kept being aggressive & not fall for this cumbaya lets all be gamer BS. Whilst the competition was buying things around them boxing them in.

It's the game baby. Sony should be on job end off. If your a champion, you play to stay champion.
Especially when competition plays dirty.

Bryank75

Banned
Well, I'm intrigued as to why you would want to know? The world is just one big brotherhood my friend.
Xbox is a very weak brand outside North America. People just don't care...
One store in Poland has 40K PS5 pre-orders and a few hundred Xbox pre-orders.
PlayStation still sell more than Xbox in north america too by a fair margin.

I see Xbox going the service route but I don't think they have figured out their lack of popularity outside the US and that is a huge issue.

Redlight

Xbox is a very weak brand outside North America. People just don't care...
One store in Poland has 40K PS5 pre-orders and a few hundred Xbox pre-orders.
PlayStation still sell more than Xbox in north america too by a fair margin.

I see Xbox going the service route but I don't think they have figured out their lack of popularity outside the US and that is a huge issue.
I don't live in North America, or Europe for that matter.

Playstation is, without doubt, the biggest name in console gaming worldwide currently (apologies to Nintendo). However the 360 managed to drew level with PS3 sales based, primarily, on the US and UK.

Some Sony fans hope that Xbox will become a services only company because it's convenient and comfortable to think/hope that. Xbox is gearing up to be a pretty fearsome competitor this time around. Some people would feel better if they were just...gone.

I don't see it happening in the short or medium term though. In the long term it's likely that all video companies will be service based.

I’ve noticed a change in some of the language Best Buy are using with some pre orders. I have some games that say get it by x date (x being release date). Others, and consoles showing we’ll ship it by x date (x being release date). I wonder if they’re starting to get away from promising orders by release date so they don’t have to give compensation through customer service.
Possible. Though my emails I received for both the XSX and the PS5 DE say expect delivery a day before day of or day after. For example my PS5 DE said delivery Nov 11th - 13th and the XSX was NOV 9th-11th. So I think they are giving their selves a small window.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Possible. Though my emails I received for both the XSX and the PS5 DE say expect delivery a day before day of or day after. For example my PS5 DE said delivery Nov 11th - 13th and the XSX was NOV 9th-11th. So I think they are giving their selves a small window.

I wound up with Target for my PS5. I hope they screw up and deliver early. Not likely, but we always hope.

Sethbacca

Playstation is, without doubt, the biggest name in console gaming worldwide currently (apologies to Nintendo). However the 360 managed to drew level with PS3 sales based, primarily, on the US and UK.

Some Sony fans hope that Xbox will become a services only company because it's convenient and comfortable to think/hope that. Xbox is gearing up to be a pretty fearsome competitor this time around. Some people would feel better if they were just...gone.

I don't see it happening in the short or medium term though. In the long term it's likely that all video companies will be service based.

Nobody wants them gone. Subs are subs regardless of platform. If they intend to go full netflix it's the only option that makes sense. Failing to commit fully to either hardware or cloud platform will result in failure of both.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

PlayStations strength is in hardware sales, they are not a service based company, I think they will stick to console. A console under your TV is a constant reminder to use it. Apps are nothing but MS is a software and service company... it fits.

Last edited:
I don't have anything against Microsoft but honestly...I can't think of a worse relationship for any Japanese dev to get into than Microsoft. You're putting one step in the grave if you sell over to them. They have ZERO presence in Japan. Why in the hell would anyone over there be dumb enough to sell to Microsoft? That just does not make sense at all. If Microsoft wants a presence in Japan then they need to build internally up not buy someone like Sega out and shut their doors 5 years from now because they can't sell Japanese games intended for a Japanese audience that has no presence in the region.

Did anyone forget what happened to Japan in the 360 era? They got lots of Japanese support. Lots of exclusive and niche games. None of it worked and some just closed doors because of it. Microsoft just cold turkey abandoned them too. Can't imagine Japan has forgot about that.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
So no major announcements today? Just yesterday? Well, I'll be curious to see if we get any other info this week. It still just seems beyond strange to me that we haven't seen anything on the UI of these machines or anything showing how great and fast they work and are. Some game trailers and that's it...to try and sell new consoles? Just seems weird....

So no major announcements today? Just yesterday? Well, I'll be curious to see if we get any other info this week. It still just seems beyond strange to me that we haven't seen anything on the UI of these machines or anything showing how great and fast they work and are. Some game trailers and that's it...to try and sell new consoles? Just seems weird....

There's that Sega rumor for Wednesday. Won't be long till we find out if it's true or not.

Also wasn't Microsoft supposed to have an event?

From who? Sony? You expect them to say anything after this announcement so quickly? That's not how it works. I'm sure they're talking about it now if they didn't know it was coming already. I'm thinking they already knew which is why they've been so quiet lately with minimum information. If they have anything to drop some nuclear bombs now is the time to do it.

Sony probably doesn't have anything and/or will do nothing about this announcement. They can't match it. They're in a good position internally anyway they don't really need a big purchase or anything close to this really. It just puts Xbox more on equal footing with them assuming they can up their quality internally.

It's hard for me to believe Sony doesn't have anything else to show in games though. I wouldn't be shocked at a purchase or 2 for game studios that has been done for awhile. Personally, I'd rather see more second-party deals. Not a fan of everyone sitting under major corporate umbrellas just getting bought out left and right. It's bad for the industry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom