• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Killer Instinct Character revealed at Evo: Chief Thunder?

charsace

With Killer Instinct being revived Sega should bring back Eternal Champions. Killing that series because of Virtual Fighter was so damn stupid. You have a window Sega, bring it back!

Khezu

Not a huge fan of Chief Thunder.

Prefer Nightwolf and Thawk for my weird 90's Native American sterotypes.

Could also do with out Tusk, Kim Wu, Riptor, and Maya.

Everyone else is cool.

Majanew

Banned
you're surprised? You guys have been acting like drama queens ever since microsoft fucked up with it's policies.

The stuff I've seen HERE on NeoGAF was abysmal.

This is ridiculous. Why is it ok for Sony only fans to keep coming into Xbox One threads to derail them? This is a thread about KI, not Microsoft's reversed policies.
Don't like the game or the system it's on, get out.

On topic:
Can't wait to see Cinder and Fulgore.

Not a huge fan of Chief Thunder.

Prefer Nightwolf and Thawk for my weird 90's Native American sterotypes.

Could also do with out Tusk, Kim Wu, Riptor, and Maya.

Everyone else is cool.

What's with all the unwarranted Riptor hate? He's was always my favorite character back in the day.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Glad you know how I feel, tell me more. What are my thoughts on GTA 5? Anyways I am happy they booed the Xbox One/KI 3 to show their disdain for it. If people do not like something they have every right to show how they feel. It is nice to see people not be silent and actually show how they feel about something.

If they booed Nintendo or Sony I would feel the same as well. I like when people don't just sit there and accept what they are shown when they know better.

What exactly did they know better?

DarkCloud

What's with all the unwarranted Riptor hate? He's was always my favorite character back in the day.

What's with all the hate towards the KI2 characters as well? I get it...KI2 wasn't as good as 1 but why does everyone want to see them not return? The roster is small enough damn it.

Khezu

What's with all the hate towards the KI2 characters as well? I get it...KI2 wasn't as good as 1 but why does everyone want to see them not return? The roster is small enough damn it.

I just think they were kinda bland. I would rather they come up with all new characters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm really excited for this game but goddamn that was an underwhelming 'reveal'. I figured they would have had whoever the character was there, playable, and debut him/her against glacius or something.

Khezu

I don't see how Riptor was any blander than generic fire and ice dudes.
I liked Cinder and Glacius

I was talking about the KI2 cast.

I just straight hate Riptor. My friend always played him, I found him annoying to fight against, and his constant screeching during combat drove me insane.

You people are out of your minds. Take out the fan reactions from EVO and what do you even have?

If they don't like it then they can boo it. Blame whatever gave them the reason to boo not the person doing it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was a big Thunder fan back in the day. I keep getting more and more excited for KI3 but I also keep dreading having to buy a new Fight Stick

It got booed for these reasons. The presentation they had was bad, they didn't really reveal much, (personal opinion it straight up doesn't look like a good fighting game combo breakers everywhere), and they did it for 30 minutes before the biggest FG finals in the US (Marvel top 8). It was poorly scheduled to present a game that has nothing to do with Marvel or AE right before. At least the injustice announcement slot made sense.

Silky

Banned
It got booed for these reasons. The presentation they had was bad, they didn't really reveal much, (personal opinion it straight up doesn't look like a good fighting game combo breakers everywhere), and they did it for 30 minutes before the biggest FG finals in the US (Marvel top 8). It was poorly scheduled to present a game that has nothing to do with Marvel or AE right before. At least the injustice announcement slot made sense.

Bam, right there. Should've did it before Injustice.

rdrr gnr

You people are out of your minds. Take out the fan reactions from EVO and what do you even have?

If they don't like it then they can boo it. Blame whatever gave them the reason to boo not the person doing it.
Heaven forbid they express something genuine and unadulterated. How childish. They should have written a signed 500-word letter to MS expressing their discontent.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Heaven forbid they express something genuine and unadulterated. How childish. They should of written a signed 500-word letter to MS expressing their discontent.

Should have or should've. Not should of.

StudioTan

Fuck me. Corrected.

Honestly, that's one of my biggest pet peeves lol.

I have to stop myself correcting people every time I see it but I allow myself to do it once in a while :p

Sorry for the derail.

I wish they would have swerved us and revealed someone else

Like you think it's Thunder, because of the tomahawk then the color cuts out and you hear it.

"ahhahahahaha"

Kikujiro

Overall I was reminded why I dislike the fighting game community today.

Completely classless group that is one giant circle jerk between each other. Between the crowd booing during the KI event ,one of the contestants giving the crowd a middle finger after winning a match, and the complete display of lack of respect for anyone who enjoys casual games (Super Smash) - I was completely turned off.

It's just not a very open community, it's like a bunch of ten year olds who are in their treehouse with a no girls allowed sign on the front.

These events should be about having fun, instead everyone is so uptight about everything.

I don't get it.

What a shitty and ignorant post. You sound like a ten year old.

Did you miss Melee streams? Did you miss Melee community having the time of their lives? Did you miss Melee players chanting "One more year" and "EVO"?

You need to earn your place in the FCG, if you moneyhat your place people won't be convinced by you.

Someone tweeted this after watching EVO:
qtBr3ro.png

FluxWaveZ

I agree 100%, but moneyhat in regards to Double Helix/KI? Elaborate?

I'm guessing the KI presentation's spot at EVO was paid for. It all felt awfully artificial from the lame teaser, to Markman promoting the exclusive controller deal with Microsoft, to what I felt was artificial hype from the commentators to the developers playing the game with select players.

Even Ono coming on stage to promote Ultra SFIV felt natural and as though he belonged there instead of how KI stood out to me.

StudioTan

I'm guessing the KI presentation's spot at EVO was paid for. It all felt awfully artificial from the lame teaser, to Markman promoting the exclusive controller deal with Microsoft, to what I felt was artificial hype from the commentators to the developers playing the game with select players.

Even Ono coming on stage to promote Ultra SFIV felt natural and as though he belonged there instead of how KI stood out to me.

It's not about moneyhats, it's about if it feels like moneyhats.

Kikujiro

I agree 100%, but moneyhat in regards to Double Helix/KI? Elaborate?

The presentation at EVO was paid for, which is totally fine, Capcom, WB, Namco, Atlus etc. pay to have their presentations on stage, but you can't shove the game down the community throat. It was stupid to do the presentation before Marvel finals and the commentary was full of fake hype, a good trailer with new characters would've been much better.

StudioTan

Anyone have a link to the EVO reveal? The trailer in the OP seems to be more Glacius not Chief Thunder?

It was Glacius since this was the first time he was playable as he was just teased at E3. Similarly Chief Thunder was just teased as the next character to be shown. Hopefully we won't have to wait to long, they said they'll be at Comic Con.

Too bad that crowd represents the community. They don't gobble up every piece of shit thrown their way (coughSFxTcough).

Might be true except for the fact that KI has been getting great feedback from those who've played it.

Duxxy3

Might be true except for the fact that KI has been getting great feedback from those who've played it.

That's what initial impressions were from SFxT as well. As they showed more and more of the game, the appeal started to rot away. Now people are more tuned into recognizing the symptoms of a bad game.

You could even throw in Sony's brawl game.

edit: would like to add that Glacius looked... well awful.

nib95

Banned
It was Glacius since this was the first time he was playable as he was just teased at E3. Similarly Chief Thunder was just teased as the next character to be shown. Hopefully we won't have to wait to long, they said they'll be at Comic Con.

Ahh fair enough. Interested to see how the other characters fare and how the game ends up. Going to be one of those I'll wait for reviews on before offering any proper opinion. Fighters are one of those genre's that really do depend on fine tuning and balancing, which only actual hands on experience or impressions can offer.

Graphically I think it looks pretty solid. Love the particle effects and over the top art. Do think the levels could have been a bit bigger though, feels a tad claustrophobic.

StudioTan

That's what initial impressions were from SFxT as well. As they showed more and more of the game, the appeal started to rot away. Now people are more tuned into recognizing the symptoms of a bad game.

You could even throw in Sony's brawl game.

edit: would like to add that Glacius looked... well awful.

The people who saw it on the floor seemed to be enjoying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1Ptq4QGG8&feature=player_detailpage#t=270s

I didn't get a chance to watch the reveal, I was out with the family, but others have said they weren't booing KI but they were booing some Madcatz/MS exclusivity deal. Again though, I didn't watch it.

EDIT: Ah, so as the video shows, they cheered when he said KI, but they booed when they mentioned it was exclusive for the Xbox One. And then they seemed to get annoyed because the final was already late and now it was going to be delayed more.

I'm not a Thunder fan never liked the character...

Still where are the women? Orchid was my main back in the day. It'd be nice to see one female. Still it's nice for the Thunder fans.

FluxWaveZ

EDIT: Ah, so as the video shows, they cheered when he said KI, but they booed when they mentioned it was exclusive for the Xbox One.

Booing specifically at the arcade stick being exclusive for the Xbox One as well as MadCatz' partnership with Microsoft, not KI.

StudioTan

Damn that must be so disheartening for them. What is it, boo's from fans who aren't happy with the changes, or just people not being happy it's by Microsoft or on the XO?

It sounded like they were booing MS, not KI.

Booing specifically at the arcade stick being exclusive for the Xbox One, not KI.

Or that. I'm certainly not an expert on the Evo crowd.

Silky

Banned
Damn that must be so disheartening for them. What is it, boo's from fans who aren't happy with the changes, or just people not being happy it's by Microsoft or on the XO?

That and people waiting for Marvel

The presentation at EVO was paid for, which is totally fine, Capcom, WB, Namco, Atlus etc. pay to have their presentations on stage, but you can't shove the game down the community throat. It was stupid to do the presentation before Marvel finals and the commentary was full of fake hype, a good trailer with new characters would've been much better.

That makes sense.

Oh man, I hope SFxT syndrome doesn't catch up with these guys. All they need to do is really nerf Combo Breakers and Counter Breakers.

Damn that must be so disheartening for them. What is it, boo's from fans who aren't happy with the changes, or just people not being happy it's by Microsoft?

It was right when they said Microsoft before the stick was mentioned. So I'm guessing it's just the Evo community is protesting Xbox One. Can't say I blame them. Didn't seem to be towards Killer Instinct.

The boo's started again when the word Microsoft was said, boos started again when the word Microsoft Studios was on screen the boos started yet again when the Xbox One logo.

I mean why would the PS4 need a fighting stick at launch? Is there a fighting game I don't know about?

Silky

Banned
It was right when they said Microsoft exclusive. So I'm guessing it's just the Evo community is protesting Xbox One. Can't say I blame them. Didn't seem to be towards Killer Instinct.

I mean why would the PS4 need a fighting stick at launch? Is there a fighting game I don't know about?

Guilty Gear, and why wouldn't it?

Top Bottom