• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox is ‘More Advanced’ Than the PS5 according to Insiders.

Munki

Prior to the PS5 reveal most of the NextBox articles posted on here included it having an SSD. All of which were shot down by the majority of members as craziness. Just a minor detail I noticed, that is all.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
The specs breakdown comparison thread will be glorious.

I'm happy that they try to best each other with features and specs because it pushes the market forward.
That's not limited to just consoles but gaming and games as a whole, not even sure what people get out of brand loyalty.
For me consoles will always be exclusive boxes, and that's why I'll get the PS5 even if XB2?? is more powerful, because Sony has got the big games.

there should be a poll. The arguement at this point is redundant. No one knows any more or any less than what’s out there now. What is there to even argue about?

Hinedorf

Banned
You know what you call a more advanced console? The X1

You know what you call the X1? The loser

Specs mean shit, games mean everything

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The specs breakdown comparison thread will be glorious.

I'm happy that they try to best each other with features and specs because it pushes the market forward.
That's not limited to just consoles but gaming and games as a whole, not even sure what people get out of brand loyalty.

Same here, as a PC gamer I love when a new console gets released, because the gap closes and we're less held back.

Elenchus

Banned
AMD can’t discover any side to each other.

MS and Sony needs to choose their custom specs without knowing what AMD is doing to the other side.

You’re not understanding. MS doesn’t need to know Sony’s specs to tell AMD, for instance, that whatever you have after Navi you put exclusively in the tech you’re selling to me. They can ask for the best in the building without knowing or caring what Sony is also buying.

Last edited:
You know what you call a more advanced console? The X1

You know what you call the X1? The loser

Specs mean shit, games mean everything
While you aren’t wrong, this is a new generation approaching. Don Mattrick started this gen on a terrible note and the bell rang through. Xbox only started getting it’s edge back towards the end under Phil and his straight forward approach and marketing.

At this point Microsoft has around 12 diverse 1st party studios and may acquire around 3 or 4 more by E3 and could do the same thing by GDC 2020 and E3 2020. Although, I’m not saying they will, but they have the time to do so.

They also have some pretty powerful IPs under their belt which could be epically rebooted if given a chance. But it looks like they want to use their new studios to their fullest potential.

Now this isn’t an anti PlayStation rant, as PlayStation has some heavy hitting games that I personally love. But unbiasedly I’m pretty excited what Microsoft can accomplish when they get backed into the corner under the right leadership.

But many people are right, it’s not always about powerful hardware, however, if that’s your first message, you’re on the right track. The next message is all about the games.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
MS has just activated Sony’s trap card.
Wait till E3, Sony has placed four cards face down....

Lmao, why the fuck would Microsoft be shook? You seriously expect Microsoft to give Sony the power advantage once again?
How would they know if they're more powerful. AMD is not at liberty to discuss the PS5 with MS engineers and vice versa....Yes they can use the same architecture and base roadmap, but the customization work is where the differences will lie......There was a lot of customization work done on PRO and that came 1 year before XBONEX at $100 less...When Sony and MS launches together, Sony wins, both on power and customization + unique features...Sony is a hardware company and they always go bleeding edge and innovate on their hardware.....20GB/s sub bus on PS4 was genius, so was the audio jack, media chip and many other bits.....It was a perfectly done console with 32rops for 1080p gaming, even at this gen's end....When it comes to hardware, Sony/Cerny certainly know what they're doing.....

It's also crazy that people think that MS saying they want the most powerful console means it's a guarantee... You think Sony does not want the most powerful console too....Cerny said PS4 and PRO belong to the same gen, PS5 will be a real next gen leap and by all indications, that's what they are producing.....Remember, no PS fan has said they know for a fact PS5 will be the most powerful console, that reactionary bit came from XBOX fans on twitter et al......Sony fans are just stoked by Zen 2, 8k, SSD and RT......That's much more than anyone knows about XB2, but it seems people will want to convince you that XBOX is stronger with nothing to show, not even a morsel.....We've seen this take our word for it before, with XBOX_ONE, (POTC) Power of the Cloud and many other instances..........Sony has said something official, next up is MS to say something offical, instead of insiders/journalists with a few hundred followers on twitter acting defensively and trying to protect a bunker.........

Sunshine, you might want to take a look at the thread title.
Seems like every thread with the word XBOX in it is an XBOX thread and nothing else....Sometimes you wonder if these guys even read the entire thread title before their response to the X insignia is engaged.......Any title with the word XBOX and it's straight to defense+attack mode......

Dargor

You’re not understanding. MS doesn’t need to know Sony’s specs to tell AMD, for instance, that whatever you have after Navi you put exclusively in the tech you’re selling to me. They can ask for the best in the building without knowing or caring what Sony is also buying.

Sorry to butt in, but, what happens if sony is on the other side of the building asking for the same thing?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Call me an idiot, I like games over power. At worst, Sony would drop to Nintendo levels of power but still have the games. If you're SONY why would you sacrifice either (Power & Games). If SONY dropped a PS4 Pro Ultra today, gamers would flock towards it, Xbox Two is going to be a great console, but there's no way the games will be there. You have to look at this past generation, very average AAA production, and the previous generation only flourished because of the Halo onslaught that people forget (2+ Halo games on one console, amazing, I know) Microsoft can make consoles, nobody isn't saying they can't, the way it works with consoles though is AAA production (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 all had them) I think Microsoft doesn't have the guts to put the massive hits first.

Call me an idiot, I like games over power. At worst, Sony would drop to Nintendo levels of power but still have the games. If you're SONY why would you sacrifice either (Power & Games). If SONY dropped a PS4 Pro Ultra today, gamers would flock towards it, Xbox Two is going to be a great console, but there's no way the games will be there. You have to look at this past generation, very average AAA production, and the previous generation only flourished because of the Halo onslaught that people forget (2+ Halo games on one console, amazing, I know) Microsoft can make consoles, nobody isn't saying they can't, the way it works with consoles though is AAA production (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 all had them) I think Microsoft doesn't have the guts to put the massive hits first.

Having been day one on both Xbox one and PS4, I have to say that I do care about power. The Xbox was severely underpowered and it showed in its games compared to PlayStation. There’s no doubt in my mind that that hurt Microsoft in a big way. Yes, the launch fiasco also hurt them but when you add to that also having the more under powered system of the two, then you’re just not putting the odds in your favor. And as you can see now at the end of the generation, it clearly paid off for Sony.

Yes you need games, but you also need your games to look, perform well and impress. And that was one of Xbox one is biggest missteps if you ask me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Having been day one on both Xbox one and PS4, I have to say that I do care about power. The Xbox was severely underpowered and it showed in its games compared to PlayStation. There’s no doubt in my mind that that hurt Microsoft in a big way. Yes, the launch fiasco also hurt them but when you add to that also having the more under powered system of the two, then you’re just not putting the odds in your favor. And as you can see now at the end of the generation, it clearly paid off for Sony.

Yes you need games, but you also need your games to look, perform well and impress. And that was one of Xbox one is biggest missteps if you ask me.
Well that says a lot, although some power issues, both launched Plus, or Pro editions, and so I don't think power will matter much AT LAUNCH when Elite editions will exist as the new consoles age.

M$'s big issues is what games will utilize said power? We know SONY will have the new IP's, God of Wars etc.

Well that says a lot, although some power issues, both launched Plus, or Pro editions, and so I don't think power will matter much AT LAUNCH when Elite editions will exist as the new consoles age.

M$'s big issues is what games will utilize said power? We know SONY will have the new IP's, God of Wars etc.

Microsoft just bought some of the best studios in the industry, like obsidian. I’m not worried about the games and I’m also not worried about the power tbh. I think Microsoft liked being able to say “the most powerful console ever” with X and I have no doubts that they’ll want the more powerful console this time around.

Last generation they needed to make compromises in HW in order to include Kinect at launch. That ended up hurting them the rest of the gen. This generation, there won’t be any compromises from them. I Expect every dollar to go into the hardware.

We’ll see soon enough.

Foxbat

Banned
As every new generation approaches, it really brings out all the fanboys. The back and forth arguments are entertaining as hell.

Cerny gives some broad outlines about what the PS5 will be like. He doesn't go into too much detail though (for good reason), and the Sony fanboys are hyping themselves up into a frenzy. Absolutely hilarious! All of a sudden loading times are what's been holding gaming back all these years. The PS5 is a true beast. MS has zero chance to match them. All this talk about power. "8K OMG!" as well as the predictable "MS is shook".

It's entertainment that you really can't get anywhere else.

Over at the MS fanboy camp, they're trying to find out a way to respond. The logical (and predictable) choice is "Leakers!!!!". Leakers said this, insiders said that. All of a sudden they're all hearing it on good authority that the XB2 is going to beat the PS5 in power. It's apparently going to run on captured alien hardware that was recovered from a crash site. "No way is MS going to lose the power advantage again."

The Sony fanboys, who've been parading around "Power", "14TF", and "8K" all week upon hearing this are suddenly like.... "Nah, we were just messing around. It's only the games that matter." When that doesn't get attention, every Sony fanboy gets out his official 'Sony defense force' handbook to look for help. Printed at the bottom of every page is the bolded sentence... "When all else fails, bring up sales."

The next year here is going to be a ride folks. Buckle up!

Last edited:

SonGoku

AMD can guarantee they are delivering their best exclusively to MS without ever violating an NDA.
This is silly elementary school logic
By that same logic Sony could say to AMD "you best make sure we have the most powerful APU or else"

It just doesn't work that way. Sony and MS are working with options depending on price point. It comes down to how much they want to spend on the the chip (CUs, ROPs, TMUs, ALUs etc) and the cooling solution (higher/lower clocks).
Prior to the PS5 reveal most of the NextBox articles posted on here included it having an SSD. All of which were shot down by the majority of members as craziness. Just a minor detail I noticed, that is all.
I am one of those and happy to eat crow on the matter
I am however curious if its going to be a hybrid solution with a small SSD drive and a big HDD or a pure big SSD solution.

Last edited:

Dargor

Sony cannot ask for the same because they are bound by a $400 price limit. MS has an entry level console to match PS5 and can afford to go beyond $400 for Anaconda.

Did sony announce their price somewhere? I know I want it to be no more than 400 bucks (if it isn't I'll wait till it gets cheaper), but I didn't know they already were catering to my needs, nice.

SonGoku

Did sony announce their price somewhere? I know I want it to be no more than 400 bucks (if it isn't I'll wait till it gets cheaper), but I didn't know they already were catering to my needs, nice.
To add to this, i wasn't aware the 4TF Boa is confirmed beyond doubt.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

People keep repeating this video game fan conspiracy theory. It's cute.

But only one side is doing it. Is this an evolution of MisterMedia? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
It also depends on what customisation each company does. MS may put a vapour chamber cooling system much like the XBX, and sony may exclude it. That could make a difference if everything else remains equal, and we don't know the clock speeds of the processors or RAM, which is not confirmed.

Ten_Fold

I mean I can see it being slightly stronger but maybe not enough that it will matter much or they will have a few sku one high end, and one mid. Anyways they really been hyping the next Xbox up I don’t care for specs I wanna see the games

Foxbat

Banned
But what if AMD hides the NewTech inside the nextbox power brick so that Sony doesn't notice?🤫

That is absurd. MS has moved away from using the power brick.

The NewTech will be fed into the vapor cooling chamber where it will be broken down into a vapor. The newly created NewTech Vape will be routed to the air inlet so that it can be used.

Sorta like a turbo. Lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What do you think of this gaf? I’m interested to read your opinion about the matter

55-D652-F2-8-FD4-4-EEA-B98-C-CC97-E57-DBEC3.jpg
The thing about rumours of one of models being 4TF is that X is already 6TF. Kind of weird to release a new set of consoles and the base model is weaker than a last gen system from 2017

Foxbat

Banned
It means clickbait and please don't get excited over this we have something even coo,er planned even though we don't really know anything about our competition.

Tbh, everyone likes to speculate about how MS is falling in Sony's trap, or how Sony showed their hand too soon right.

The truth is that corporate espionage is a real thing. It happens everyday. I'd bet the farm that both Sony and MS know what is going to be in the other's next console. Leaks can be plugged for the most part, but even then word still almost always gets around.... And that's with little to no monetary gain.

Now Imagine how much cash MS and Sony would slip you under the table if you knew the deets about what was going in the others box.

SonGoku

F Foxbat
Tbh it doesn't even matter if they do. Sony and MS are working with the same company and are being handed the same options depending on the price point they decide on. It comes down to how much they want to spend on the the chip (CUs, ROPs, TMUs, ALUs etc) and the cooling solution (higher/lower clocks).

These controlled leaks strategically done after any sort of reveal are either
a) Fanboy doing fanboy things
b) Background noise to distract from the competition.

The only reason Sony beat Ms from performance standpoint this generation was that Microsoft got distracted with kinect and TV TV TV. Right now I think Microsoft is on a completely different level as far as engineering software and Hardware.

Weird flex but ok..

Last edited:
Wait till E3, Sony has placed four cards face down....

How would they know if they're more powerful. AMD is not at liberty to discuss the PS5 with MS engineers and vice versa....Yes they can use the same architecture and base roadmap, but the customization work is where the differences will lie......There was a lot of customization work done on PRO and that came 1 year before XBONEX at $100 less...When Sony and MS launches together, Sony wins, both on power and customization + unique features...Sony is a hardware company and they always go bleeding edge and innovate on their hardware.....20GB/s sub bus on PS4 was genius, so was the audio jack, media chip and many other bits.....It was a perfectly done console with 32rops for 1080p gaming, even at this gen's end....When it comes to hardware, Sony/Cerny certainly know what they're doing.....

It's also crazy that people think that MS saying they want the most powerful console means it's a guarantee... You think Sony does not want the most powerful console too....Cerny said PS4 and PRO belong to the same gen, PS5 will be a real next gen leap and by all indications, that's what they are producing.....Remember, no PS fan has said they know for a fact PS5 will be the most powerful console, that reactionary bit came from XBOX fans on twitter et al......Sony fans are just stoked by Zen 2, 8k, SSD and RT......That's much more than anyone knows about XB2, but it seems people will want to convince you that XBOX is stronger with nothing to show, not even a morsel.....We've seen this take our word for it before, with XBOX_ONE, (POTC) Power of the Cloud and many other instances..........Sony has said something official, next up is MS to say something offical, instead of insiders/journalists with a few hundred followers on twitter acting defensively and trying to protect a bunker.........

Seems like every thread with the word XBOX in it is an XBOX thread and nothing else....Sometimes you wonder if these guys even read the entire thread title before their response to the X insignia is engaged.......Any title with the word XBOX and it's straight to defense+attack mode......
What's even more interesting is how you talk about your disdain for anything MS in every thread, no matter the topic. See the Sony PS5 thread for proof. As a matter of fact, you talk about MS more than Sony anymore. One would assume that you must not have anything to really be excited about your prefered platform, otherwise you would be mainly discussing that. :unsure:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Regardless of which system is a bit more powerful, it's getting to a point that us console gamers should be getting some sweet games. I know..... someone with a wild PC rig will get better specs and tons of sliders to tune the game perfectly, but let's face it, a console with let's say 12 TF (which is double XBox X) should be able to churn out 4k games with stable frame rates and great textures.

But as usual, it all comes down to devs. If they are going to take those 12TF and just pump it into useless flair, where the core game has dumb AI, shit physics and bounces around 24 to 30 fps, then us gamers are going to get a wet one shoved up our bungholes again if game maker's X, Y, and Z prefer slideshow gameplay, but has raytraced lighting.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I wish Xbox could go with Nvidia and Intel, then it would be really interesting as i think they're going to be close to each other and the spec wars are a bit boring nowadays.

Top Bottom