• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox is ‘More Advanced’ Than the PS5 according to Insiders.

FranXico

Microsoft insiders are on full blown damage control. The ps5 wasnt supposed to be talked about this early and it wasnt supposed to be this powerful. Having backwards compatibility is just another dagger. MS got sucker punched and it hurt bad.
Meeting basic consumer expectations regarding BC does not constitute an advantage.

Edit: ...because the competition meets them as well, of course.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
PS1 dominated sales too ;)... and once it released and especially got its first price cut PS3 dominated sales too (vs Xbox 360) worldwide...
If PS3 launched at $4-500 it would have easily beaten Wii too.....

If the latest Navi rumor is true then 64 CU in 2020 consoles is a pipe-dream. 48-56 seems more realistic, with one console having less than the other as has been the case with both sets of current gen consoles.
If there are less CU's on Navi, it means that there are way more instructions per CU, so you can't just say it won't be 64 as Vega......Even PRO had more instructions per CU than polaris.....Go watch the schematics and die breakdown.

I love these definitive statements made about two boxes no one here knows the complete specs of :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
But earlier you said this;

"See X vs. Pro.
More GPU cores, higher clocks, more RAM, more features, who knows."

in response to;

"How can it be more advanced when they're using the same tech?"

So are you insinuating that ANAconda is going to launch much later than PS5? Where are the receipts then.....Also you can't use X vs PRO to say Anaconda will be more powerful........X came 1 year later than PRO after MS saw what pro offered and still had no Vega features and custom features like PRO did and they offered that at a $100 markup........

if Anaconda is launching at the same time as PS5, there is no way it's more powerful than a Sony console.....The only time XBOX has beaten Sony with hardware specs is when they come much later, in DUHHHH! Factor.......

It is not "implied". Announcing your new console in rag like wired which barely anyone read is like definition of "we aren't ready but we have to say something" aka damage control. PS4 was announced with full conference with 100s of journalists and so on for comparison.

Now hardware wise Sony should know what MS have and MS knows what Sony have. It is easy to spread such information when developers work on game with both devkits in house.

Now who is more powerful. Imho both will be similar. Damage control from Sony side is that they plan to properly unveil their console later while MS targets E3 2019 so it will be MS that will have "the most powerful console ever" while Sony after few months will claim "we too" which won't sound as good and will not be exciting to people who saw MS console which has more or less same specs.
Wow, posters are even attcking Wired now? I'm glad they chose Wired and not some IGN, DF or bigboy journalist website that has been writing shilling articles for MS all year long, speaking on how PS5 is doomed etc....This wired article has the gaming world shook, I thought Sony Missing E3 was a death knell???? Now any forum Sony uses will be criticized like RKelly at a teenage party.......it would seem...Cue in all those retort articles in the gaming journalist world to this Wired Information from Cerny San....

Klobrille is actually reliable for MS stuff. He used to regularly leak upcoming games with gold titles, new dashboard features and stuff. Hes obviously very cautious with his words cause things can change and he doesnt want to be called a liar, but his claims that MS are aiming to be the more powerful system sounds reasonable. Apparently his proof is a documentation from MS which he showed to a mod
He's reliable? All I know of Klobrille was that he posted many oversharpened gifs in the Next gen racing game thread and lots of photmode Forza pics.......So you're telling me, he is now an insider that has a track record? What record is that exactly? and If he knows more MS stuff, how is it that he knows PS stuff too and is able to compare XB2 and PS5 and know for a fact that XBOX is more powerful, when no one knows PS5 specs or even XBOX Specs for that matter?

So if he's so sure, I want the receipts, tell Klobrille that I want him to post PS5 and XB2 specs side by side, so I can see for myself what he's talking about....Please do convey......Looking forward to it....

Klobrille is trustworthy. All of his previous leaks were true
What leaks, more precisely what console leaks dis he provide before that's true?

Navi doesn’t release until later this year but Xbox is going to use Arcturus. Lol.

Every Anaconda rumour has been custom Navi. First suggestion of Arcturus for Xbox comes after Cerny also mentions custom Navi. Seriously guys.
HA, I think these were the same guys who started the PS5 is based on Ryzen-1 rumor, I mean so much FUD in these leaking barrage........Now Anaconda is based on Arcturus and Zen 3......At least with the new story of PS5 chipsets being ready late in 2020, that makes more sense for PS5 or at least Navi 20 with arcturus features on PS5, but I see no roadmap or linkage to any of these XB2 rumors............The last I heard was that XB2 was a 12TF machine and anybody mentioning PS5 will be more than 12TF was smoking some good Vincention kush, now it would seem leakers will soon be saying that XB2 is some 30TF arcturus beast....

Leonidas

are you insinuating that ANAconda is going to launch much later than PS5? Where are the receipts then.....Also you can't use X vs PRO to say Anaconda will be more powerful........X came 1 year later than PRO after MS saw what pro offered and still had no Vega features and custom features like PRO did and they offered that at a $100 markup........

I didn't insinuate anything, I simply answered an easy question on how one could be more powerful and more advanced than the other using the most recent example we have.

thelastword

Banned
I didn't insinuate anything, I simply answered an easy question on how one could be more powerful and more advanced than the other using the most recent example we have.
Yet that example is not consistent with what we expect of next gen consoles.......By all indications, MS and Sony are launching in 2020, unless MS launches in 2019, where it will be underpowered against PS5, or if it does March 2020, it will still be underpowered than PS5......The only way MS has more power is if it launches at least a year later....Launching at the same time as Sony? MS has never won the spec war when vaulting from the same podium at the sme time...Do you agree?

Mista

Banned
What leaks, more precisely what console leaks dis he provide before that's true?
Not console leaks but other things like Microsoft latest acquisitions he called them before them happening, The Outer Worlds, FH4 and many more I can’t recall right now

demigod

If PS5 releases next holiday, maybe they will use navi+. I still think the release window is holiday 2019(sue me) or March 2020. I don’t see this HUGE gap by MS with Arcturus unless they plan on releasing in 2021.

Kenpachii

If PS5 releases next holiday, maybe they will use navi+. I still think the release window is holiday 2019(sue me) or March 2020. I don’t see this HUGE gap by MS with Arcturus unless they plan on releasing in 2021.

They could just make the box bigger and push clocks higher. Done.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
You could have said all those same things about Xbox coming into this gen and look what happened.

The assumption is that Sony won't bungle any thing this time. Microsoft struggled in part because it misjudged the market. The Xbox One launch was peak Steve Ballmer -- that is, the system was treated as a way to shove Windows media experiences into the living room (see the "TV, TV, TV" supercut video as evidence) rather than a game machine. The DRM requirements and such did a lot of damage, too. It doesn't sound like Sony is going to make those kinds of mistakes with the PS5.

Mista

Banned
What do you think of this gaf? I’m interested to read your opinion about the matter

55-D652-F2-8-FD4-4-EEA-B98-C-CC97-E57-DBEC3.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What do you think of this gaf? I’m interested to read your opinion about the matter

I think it is the same specs that have been going around the net for months now. Who knows if they are true.

ethomaz

Banned
I lean more to your opinion that the trust factor of delivering games throughout the entire gen was a big factor for a lot of gamers to choose Sony, but that XB1 reveal I think was the biggest factor why the 360 crowd jumped ship.
I don’t disagree that is why I said part of ;)

I’m saying is that a lot of Xbox fans were left without substantial releases mid-late 360 life while they saw Sony kicking asses into near PS4 release.

Another good example is how Sony delivery for PS4 in the last three years are way stronger than the usual MS delivery.

MS is trying to chance that with more studios but we need to see next gen.

But right now you know that you will enter in MS ecosystem expecting to rely in third party games most of the years while you enter in PlayStation ecosystem knowing you will have the same third party plus strong first-party line up.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
D4Sr0XIWwAUTaYL

D4Sr61SWAAAwPor

D4SsAD3WAAAvION

D4SscFRWkAIq3Qr

So are these two insiders right or is this another case of Resetera having "insiders" hype something up but actually don't have any info?

It is also thinly implied that Sony put out the interview with Wired for Damage Control. which is quite the claim. It would also mean Sony somehow knows how powerful the next Xbox is which seems unlikely do to Ms usually running a tight ship. Or the fact it's not likely finished yet.

What do you think?
Damage control against what? There is no next gen Xbox info.

Do you really believe Sony did damage control against something that doesn’t exists to public?

Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Sony Fans: "XBOX FANS ARE UPSET BECAUSE OUR SPECS THAT WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT REVEALED, ARE BETTER! BUT ITS NOT ABOUT POWER ITS ABOUT GAMES! EXCEPT OUR CONSOLE WILL STILL BE MORE POWERFUL BASED ON NONEXISTENT SPECS, POWERED BY SUPER NAVI MEGA MAN.EXE SONY IS WON, XBOX ON DAMAGE CONTROL!!!!

Microsoft Fans:"OUR NONEXISTENT SPECS ARE ALWAYS BETTER 3/4 TIMES BECAUSE XBOX ONE X. THAT WILL SOMEHOW CONFIRM THE SPECS WE WONT KNOW ABOUT. GAMING DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION 6 OR GDDR6, 400 POUNDS OF HAM, ATTACK HELICOPTERS WILL MARK YOUR GENDER WITH YOUR DEATH. BC WILL SHOW YOU HOW ITS DONE!!! OOPS WE MEANT 400 POUNDS OF RAM!!!"

^Accurate thread summary. ;)

NickFire

Damage control against what? There is no next gen Xbox info.

Do you really believe Sony did damage control against something that doesn’t exists to public?

Makes no sense.
I don't know if damage control is the right term, but I do think Sony did this to prevent (or control) a narrative / avoid any risk of being drowned out of the news. MS had been teasing announcements for the same day, and BC was something they had not addressed yet.

CyberPanda

Banned
Sony Fans: "XBOX FANS ARE UPSET BECAUSE OUR SPECS THAT WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT REVEALED, ARE BETTER! BUT ITS NOT ABOUT POWER ITS ABOUT GAMES! EXCEPT OUR CONSOLE WILL STILL BE MORE POWERFUL BASED ON NONEXISTENT SPECS, POWERED BY SUPER NAVI MEGA MAN.EXE SONY IS WON, XBOX ON DAMAGE CONTROL!!!!

Microsoft Fans:"OUR NONEXISTENT SPECS ARE ALWAYS BETTER 3/4 TIMES BECAUSE XBOX ONE X. THAT WILL SOMEHOW CONFIRM THE SPECS WE WONT KNOW ABOUT. GAMING DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION 6 OR GDDR6, 400 POUNDS OF HAM, ATTACK HELICOPTERS WILL MARK YOUR GENDER WITH YOUR DEATH. BC WILL SHOW YOU HOW ITS DONE!!! OOPS WE MEANT 400 POUNDS OF RAM!!!"

^Accurate thread summary. ;)
Caps lock means you’re yelling. Stop yelling!

ethomaz

Banned
They may very well have insider information. But they aren’t telling you any information other than they know stuff.

Imagine turning on The Weather Channel and they keep telling you they know the 7 day forecast... but they can’t tell you. That would be pretty pointless.
They can’t say anything because they didn’t know the real PS5 specs so they believe Nextxbox is stronger but if they say some specs they could ending liars because the real PS5 specs can be better than what they have for Nextxbox.

They are playing cautious to not look bad in the community.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'd say it's 50/50 right now.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from following gaming since the early 90s, it’s that predictions about the market are completely useless.

Who could’ve predicted the following:
- PlayStation beating N64
- Nintendo DS becoming so successful that they canceled Gameboy
- Wii dominating 7th gen after coming in distant 3rd with GameCube
- Sony going from a dominant 1st with PS2 to 3rd with PS3 (yeah they pulled ahead of 360 at the tail end of the generation)
- The successor to Nintendo’s most successful console (Wii) would be a massive flop (Wii U)

Honestly, anybody who thinks they can predict the market is full of crap, and that’s before accounting for the fact that they’re almost certainly biased in favor of their preferred company.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know if damage control is the right term, but I do think Sony did this to prevent (or control) a narrative / avoid any risk of being drowned out of the news. MS had been teasing announcements for the same day, and BC was something they had not addressed yet.
I think Wired get a deal/paid for that interview and Cerny said only the things he could say right now.

BTW Wired is not unknown like people seems to claim here... it is one of the biggest tech magazines in US...

Wired base is California... PS5 dev base is California.... Cerny lives and work in California.. the interview happened in California.... coincidence?

Which other California tech magazine is bigger than Wired?

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Wow so many riled up Sony fanboys posting in an xbox thread.

Xbox isnt afraid to charge more for more power .. sony will go the cheap and cheerful route.

Stuart360

I'm not going to lie, this forum would be a ton better if like 80% of the people posting in this thread were banned.
Nothing, and i mean nothing, is more tedious than console warriors arguing over companies that see them as nothing more than a walking dollar sign. Its actually funny if you think about it.

Reactions: TLZ

NickFire

I think Wired get a deal/paid for that interview and Cerny said only the things he could say right now.

BTW Wired is not unknown like people seems to claim here... it is one of the biggest tech magazines in US...
Certainly possible. Guaranteed they got clicks like crazy for that piece. But I doubt Sony said anything just for money or a deal. No way they keep everything under wraps just to spill it for a few bucks. Sony's role was calculated at the highest level I am sure.

ethomaz

Banned
Certainly possible. Guaranteed they got clicks like crazy for that piece. But I doubt Sony said anything just for money or a deal. No way they keep everything under wraps just to spill it for a few bucks. Sony's role was calculated at the highest level I am sure.
The interview, Wired, Sony’s HQ, Cerny...

All in California.

Why choose Eurogamer in UK for the presencial interview???

But hey damage control makes sense... we just need to find for what Sony was doing damage control lol

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I have already said a lot about this if true.

The most recent rumor is that it has the same CPU as the higher end kit, but at 4TF.

If that’s the case it’s going to hold third-party games back with the lowest common denominator (This case almost 3 times lower) and not take full odvantage of the higher specced systems of the PS5 and high spec Xbox like they would if they were built from the ground up on them as the baseline.

If true, not fan of that strategy for that very reason in the console arena.

Brad Sams says a lot, But in this video had a lot to say about nothing.

The leak has been floating around for months now. If you get impatient, just search this forum and it should come up.

Regardless, my point still stands. Even if it’s a hair more powerful than the Xbox One X, it will still be way too low of a baseline going into NexGen for third-party for my tastes. The Higher spec machines which should be the baseline will still be held back by not being fully taken advantage of by the third parties.

I hope you are correct and I would most definitely prefer it that way. Otherwise it would just feel like mid-gen refresh with third-party games, or even “cross gen”.

That is not how you start a new GEN having powerful systems with that forever Achilles’ heel from day zero.

And many more before that.

NickFire

The interview, Wired, Sony’s HQ, Cerny...

All in California.

Why choose Eurogamer in UK for the presencial interview???

But hey damage control makes sense... we just need to find for what Sony was doing damage control lol
We agree that damage control doesn't really make sense. I can understand why someone might feel that term applies, but ultimately disagree with it because as you said there was no real damage out there. That's why I think narrative control is a better term. They ensured focus stayed on them, and cut off any concerns about BC. And it makes perfect sense to use an outlet like the one they chose from an eyeballs strategy to me. A place like that gets views from non-video game enthusiasts I am pretty sure, and every video game enthusiast site under the sun would run a story about the story anyway.

Shin

Banned
What do you think of this gaf?
That's French so I'm guessing it's a image from Jeuxvideo?
If that's the case then it's a repeat of what was thrown around before they ran with it.
Xbox's SoC is highly mysterious and seems to be kept under really tight wraps, Gonzalo keeps pointing to Ariel/Sony but nowhere on the net can you find info along the lines for Xbox.

shark sandwich

I'm not going to lie, this forum would be a ton better if like 80% of the people posting in this thread were banned.
Nothing, and i mean nothing, is more tedious than console warriors arguing over companies that see them as nothing more than a walking dollar sign. Its actually funny if you think about it.
I’d ban anybody who comes into a thread that is specifically to discuss power and says “well power doesn’t matter, all that matters is the games!”

Reactions: TLZ

Darkangel

If someone's response to a technology speculation thread is to immediately "defend" the other company by bringing up the strength of their first-party studios, then they are without a doubt being a console warrior. It has nothing to do with the topic and only goes to show that they're somehow upset about this rumour.

Phil Spencer basically said that Xbox will always have the power crown from now on. They see it as part of their brand identity.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Phil Spencer basically said that Xbox will always have the power crown from now on. They see it as part of their brand identity.
That is cool and all but you don’t have the control to make 100% sure the hardware you are doing will be better than competition... do you know why? Because Phil can’t decide what others are doing.

The best Phil can do is create a very strong hardware and hope the competition doesn’t do anything better.

The fact MS didn’t know, Insiders didn’t know, devs didn’t know, etc that PS4 could have 8GB RAM already tell you how secretive Sony is with their hardware.

PS. The same is true in the opposite way... Sony can’t control what MS will do.

Last edited:

Stuart360

If someone's response to a technology speculation thread is to immediately "defend" the other company by bringing up the strength of their first-party studios, then they are without a doubt being a console warrior. It has nothing to do with the topic and only goes to show that they're somehow upset about this rumour.

A lot of people dont understand how 'big business' works. Both Microsoft and Sony will know exactly what each other are making, whether by paying people off, leaks, spies (yes all this stuff happens in big business, Google it), and in this case, its the same god damn company providing the tech for both consoles. Spencer wouldnt say that (and he said it multple times) if there was a chance he would get egg on his face.

ethomaz

Banned
A lot of people dont understand how 'big business' works. Both Microsoft and Sony will know exactly what each other are making, whether by paying people off, leaks, spies (yes all this stuff happens in big business, Google it), and in this case, its the same god damn company providing the tech for both consoles. Spencer wouldnt say that (and he said it multple times) if there was a chance he would get egg on his face.
So how do you explain MS did not know PS4 had 8GB RAM?

Mista

Banned
That's French so I'm guessing it's a image from Jeuxvideo?
If that's the case then it's a repeat of what was thrown around before they ran with it.
Xbox's SoC is highly mysterious and seems to be kept under really tight wraps, Gonzalo keeps pointing to Ariel/Sony but nowhere on the net can you find info along the lines for Xbox.
WIth the amazing amount of leaks this gen I won’t be surprised if something got leaked on reddit to be honest

hunthunt

Banned
Not even the developers have the real numbers of the CPU from AMD ibut hey, some random idiot on twittwr or resetera knows that the next xbox is most powerful than the Ps5.

Lmao @ the xbox fanboys

Elenchus

Banned
That is cool and all but you don’t have the control to make 100% sure the hardware you are doing will be better than competition... do you know why? Because Phil can’t decide what others are doing.

The best Phil can do is create a very strong hardware and hope the competition doesn’t do anything better.

The fact MS didn’t know, Insiders didn’t know, devs didn’t know, etc that PS4 could have 8GB RAM already tell you how secretive Sony is with their hardware.

PS. The same is true in the opposite way... Sony can’t control what MS will do.

MS doesn’t need to know PS5’s specs. Just need to ask AMD for superior tech to anything they are building for Sony and agree to pay a premium.

Details are not really that important. AMD can guarantee they are delivering their best exclusively to MS without ever violating an NDA.

As I said in the beginning, the Spencer spec is “better bitch; much better”. Lol.

shark sandwich

WIth the amazing amount of leaks this gen I won’t be surprised if something got leaked on reddit to be honest
There are hundreds if not thousands of people who have at least some tidbits about the next gen consoles. It takes an army of engineers and developers to make a console a reality, plus a huge and enormously complex supply chain.

And it’s just human nature. When you have an exciting piece of info, you want to share it. I used to do field service for equipment from several different vendors. So many times I’d be at some vendor’s training program and their people can’t help letting little bits slip about the new product they’re working on.

So yeah I think there is at least some grain of truth to most rumors, and they will continue to converge on something.

ethomaz

Banned
How do you know they didnt know?, and by all accounts it was a last minute decision (in tech terms).
MS was caught off guard with the announce of 8GB GDDR5.

They expected and said to developers they will have more RAM than Sony.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
MS doesn’t need to know PS5’s specs. Just need to ask AMD for superior tech to anything they are building for Sony and agree to pay a premium.

Details are not really that important. AMD can guarantee they are delivering their best exclusively to MS without ever violating an NDA.

As I said in the beginning, the Spencer spec is “better bitch; much better”. Lol.
AMD can’t discover any side to each other.

MS and Sony needs to choose their custom specs without knowing what AMD is doing to the other side.

Top Bottom