• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox is ‘More Advanced’ Than the PS5 according to Insiders.

makaveli60

Do you guys understand that the weaker nextgen Xbox will be the base console again in the next generation just like XONE is in the current? Everything will be built around that so let's hope it will be much more powerful than 4TF...

Armorian

Banned
Do you guys understand that the weaker nextgen Xbox will be the base console again in the next generation just like XONE is in the current? Everything will be built around that so let's hope it will be much more powerful than 4TF...

It doesn't matter as I explained in post above...

Armorian

Banned
It would only matter for devs wanting to stay 1080p and use all available power for gfx. Majority of teraflops will just be used to render resolution.

There is one problem with this 2 skus rumor, will one of them be that much cheaper to produce when only difference is just one part of SoC (plus you have to manufacture 2 different APUs)? This only makes sense if console really have just half of anaconda memory (12GB was rumored I belive) and this one can really hurt game development.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What’s the point of a next gen console weaker than the One X?
The Xbox One X is a machine designed to run X1S or PS4 games at 4k. It's going to be tied to last gen because of the Jag CPU.

The purported "Lockhart" has a next-gen CPU with a more modern GPU. Here's an example of what just a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU at 4GHz can do with a RX 480 set to 911MHz core/4.2TFLOPS compared to the 6TF Polaris 10 in the X1X:

NXGamer running X1S version of The Witcher 3 unpatched and with unlocked framerate in CPU-heavy Novigrad:

38-43fps

70-74fps

The 4.2TFLOPS GPU is running the game ~70% faster than the 6TF GPU. This is why it's more important that the rumored "Lockhart" has the same CPU and also has the same GPU architecture as the Anaconda.

PC benchmarks seem to confirm that a setup like this will work from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Of course it matters if the base console is 4TF and not 12+. I understand what you say but I think you also can what I mean. I don"t want Microsoft to withhold the new gen also. It was enough for one time. And no, I'm not a Sony fanboy, I just want the largest leap possible.
You realize the main consoles will be psuhing 4k right?, the 4tf Xbox is a 1080p machine.

Stuart360

Makes sense to me. You can run games at pretty high settings and frame rates for each of the resolutions.
Well i'm sure both Xboxes will run the same games at the same settings, just the little brother at 1080p, and the big brother at 4k.
The funny thing is that the 4tf console could actually be slightly more capable than the 12tf machine as 4k usually needs 3-4 times the gpu power over 1080p, but the rumoured main Xbox is 12tf which is a straight 3 times more powerful. So the little box will NOT be holding back next gen, the main consoles targeting 4k will be doing that themselves.
I think people forget sometimes that the main next gen consoles will be targeting 4k, and just think to themselves '12+tf, yeah man!', but in reality we will be talking 3 times XB1, and 2 and a bit times PS4 in pure graphics processing power (1080p vs 4k).

Last edited:

Dural

It sucks that we can’t have a generation where we stay at the same resolution, resolution is eating up so much of the resources that the jump isn’t close to what it could be. Even worse, the jump from 1080p to 4K is the biggest jump pixel wise since going from 480p to 720p. I’d love to see what could be done at 1080p with 12tf of power.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It sucks that we can’t have a generation where we stay at the same resolution, resolution is eating up so much of the resources that the jump isn’t close to what it could be. Even worse, the jump from 1080p to 4K is the biggest jump pixel wise since going from 480p to 720p. I’d love to see what could be done at 1080p with 12tf of power.
But what are all the marketing managers going to do if they can't plug "4k!!!!"

• Fire
Reactions: TLZ

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Same here, since 4K TVs with boss ass scalars combined with the even integer so everything still looks nice and crisp on it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

1080p with TAA and a sharpening filter, and you have perfrectly crisp and jaggie free image.
I too would like to see what they could achieve with a 12tf machine at 1080p.

makaveli60

You realize the main consoles will be psuhing 4k right?, the 4tf Xbox is a 1080p machine.
You realize that the Xbox One X plays current gen games at 4k (more or less) at 6 TF? But let's just calculate with 8 TF. So we have like 4 TF left for the "real" nextgen consoles which won't be utilized as well as it could be since the games will be built around the base machine, which is 4TF only.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I'd take 4k over 1080p any day of the week

cypherq

Neo Member
If history teaches us anything the more powerful hardware never usually wins. Its all about content and more importantly price :)

MS's path down two console types (if true) is an interesting approach. Essentially at launch you are splitting the user base into two camps who will get two different experiences. Then the dev teams who will have to optimise two different versions of a game. Will the lower spec machine restrict the game types of the more powerful machine.

IMHO this is a very messy route to go down and breaks what fundamentally console gaming is about a common playing field with everyone on the same piece of hardware. Its great that it will allow a cheaper entry point into Xbox but it will fragment the owners and community IMHO.

I know this gen we have had the X and Pro but essentially they are just faster versions of the same machine with 4K enhancements. My guess is that MS will follow the same pattern. However the difference is this time they are supposedly doing it at launch.

Stuart360

You realize that the Xbox One X plays current gen games at 4k (more or less) at 6 TF? But let's just calculate with 8 TF. So we have like 4 TF left for the "real" nextgen consoles which won't be utilized as well as it could be since the games will be built around the base machine, which is 4TF only.
It doesnt work like that, and the X is playing XB1 games at 4k. The main nextgen Xbox will be playing the 4tf consoles games at 4k. Like i said in an earlier post, if anything the 4tf console will be slightly more capable than the 12tf consoles, due to it being 1080p vs 4k. The 4tf console is NOT holding anything back, it will be just as capable as the 12tf machines as its aiming for 108p and not 4k.

Dural

4tf at 1080p has more overhead to look better than 12tf at 4k, why is this so hard to understand? Unless you're saying the games won't be built around running at 4k on the 12tf machine?

I'd take 4k over 1080p any day of the week

Resolution isn't everything, we're at the point of diminishing returns and as has been pointed out 1080p upscales quite nicely to 4k.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If history teaches us anything the more powerful hardware never usually wins. Its all about content and more importantly price :)

MS's path down two console types (if true) is an interesting approach. Essentially at launch you are splitting the user base into two camps who will get two different experiences. Then the dev teams who will have to optimise two different versions of a game. Will the lower spec machine restrict the game types of the more powerful machine.

IMHO this is a very messy route to go down and breaks what fundamentally console gaming is about a common playing field with everyone on the same piece of hardware. Its great that it will allow a cheaper entry point into Xbox but it will fragment the owners and community IMHO.

I know this gen we have had the X and Pro but essentially they are just faster versions of the same machine with 4K enhancements. My guess is that MS will follow the same pattern. However the difference is this time they are supposedly doing it at launch.
If MS goes with two skus, I don't think gamers will care. Devs won't care either. They already do that with Pro/X patch updates.

I've never seen PC gamers care that there's a million combinations of specs and prices. And I've haven't seen hoards of PS/Xbox gamers complaining there's a majority pool of OG gamers and a minority pool of Pro/X buyers. Gamers didn't care PS3 had $500 and $600 models based on HDD, or 360 gamers complaining some bought Arcade Edition at $250-300 and Pro 20gb HDD at $400.

If someone is playing on PS and Xbox, you won't even know which system the other MP gamer is even using. It's not like gamers or game makers segregate gamers based on OG gamers vs. Pro/X users. Gamers all play togther.

If someone cares that much about buying the most powerful hardware, they won't care about which brand has it. They will just make a bee-line to whichever machine has the best tech specs.

The only complaints I see is the usual (which can come from anything in life), and that is the gamers who can only afford the base Xbox model complaining that someone else has a better car, house, job........ errrrr..... game console.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont see the problem with 2 skus, outside of console war shite. You are basically buying the same console with the same games, except one of the consoles is designed for 4ktv's, and the other one is designed for people with 1080p tvs. Consumers can buy which one suits them best.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont see the problem with 2 skus, outside of console war shite. You are basically buying the same console with the same games, except one of the consoles is designed for 4ktv's, and the other one is designed for people with 1080p tvs. Consumers can buy which one suits them best.
Exactly. And any console war BS will come from the competing brand.

I didn't see any Sony gamers complaining there's OG and Pro, nor any Xbox gamers complaining there's OG and X.

And where's all the devs complaining that it's so much extra work and money to do Pro/X upgrade patches? A lot of these games getting patches for old games which you'd think no dev would even bother spending time doing. But suddenly out of nowhere a patch is released for those whopping 500 gamers still playing it.

Last edited:

makaveli60

4tf at 1080p has more overhead to look better than 12tf at 4k, why is this so hard to understand? Unless you're saying the games won't be built around running at 4k on the 12tf machine?

Resolution isn't everything, we're at the point of diminishing returns and as has been pointed out 1080p upscales quite nicely to 4k.
It's hard to understand because your maths don't add up. PS4 is 1,84 Tf at 1080p so with a 4TF console you have 2,16 TF overhead for the graphics jump. For PS4 graphics at 4K you need around 8TF and that means 4TFs of overhead for graphics jump on a 12TF console. Of course it's not so simple, but I hope it's clear now what I mean.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It's hard to understand because your maths don't add up. PS4 is 1,84 Tf at 1080p so with a 4TF console you have 2,16 TF overhead. For PS4 graphics at 4K you need around 8TF and that means 4TFs of overhead on a 12TF console.
Because the 12tf consoles will not be running XB1/PS4 games at 4k, they will be running the equivelant of a 4tf 1080p game at 4k.

Imtjnotu

From how far away I sit and my eyes, 4k on my x900f looks alot better than 1080p

Stuart360

From how far away I sit and my eyes, 4k on my x900f looks alot better than 1080p
I dont think anyone is saying 4k isnt better than 1080p. Its just the problem is that the main next gen consoles targeting 4k means real world performance gains of only 2-3 times over PS4 and XB1. Now imagine a 12tf maching running at 1080p, that would be upwards of 10 times the processing performance over the current consoles.

makaveli60

Because the 12tf consoles will not be running XB1/PS4 games at 4k, they will be running the equivelant of a 4tf 1080p game at 4k.
That makes sense, but I think both your and my opinion can be right. Unfortunately, only a game developer could answer which one of us is right, I think.

Stuart360

That makes sense, but I think both your and my opinion can be right. Unfortunately, only a game developer could answer which one of us is right, I think.
You're right in the sense that its not going to be a big jump next gen. Like i said, 4k means real world performance of only 2-3 times that of PS4/XB1. There are going to be a lot of games next gen that dont look much better than the best PS4/XB1 has now like GOW, Horizon, Forza Horizon 4 etc. Thats just the price of targeting 4k.
God of War at 4k/60fps, or a game decently better looking than GOD of War at 4k/30fps, thats kind of the level we will get with the main next gen consoles. The 4tf Xbox will run the same games at the same settings and the same framerate, but at 1080p

Last edited:

makaveli60

You're right in the sense that its not going to be a big jump next gen. Like i said, 4k means real world performance of only 2-3 times that of PS4/XB1. There are going to be a lot of games next gen that dont look much better than the best PS4/XB1 has now like GOW, Horizon, Forza Horizon 4 etc. Thats just the price of targeting 4k.
Honestly, I don't care about 4K at all, I just know that it's the current buzz... If only we got a 12TF console with 1080p games. I hope open world games will look like The Order 1886 and devs finally get rid of pop-ups, flickering, low-res shadows and effects, zero jaggies. All in all this gens graphics are quite enough for me if we don't count these flaws I mentioned.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Honestly, I don't care about 4K at all, I just know that it's the current buzz... If only we got a 12TF console with 1080p games. I hope open world games will look like The Order 1886 and devs finally get rid of pop-ups, flickering, low-res shadows and effects, zero jaggies. All in all this gens graphics are quite enough for me if we don't count these flaws I mentioned.
As much as i would like 1080p next gen, the main next gen consoles will def be targeting 4k. If the One X, and even the Pro in some games, targets 4k, a 12+tf console will def be targeting 4k.

Stuart360

Yeah, it's not a question sadly.
We will still see some amazing looking games for sure, especially if you have a 4k screen, its just the jump isnt going to be as good as a lot of people are expecting/hoping for.
Plus with the much better cpu, we should at least see a few more 60fps games over what we got this gen.

Stuart360

Bioware, ND, Insomniac, Rockstar, Bethesda says they prefer cinematic 30 fps.
Yeah for sure. The majority of games next gen will still be 30fps, make no mistake about that. The machines will have the capacity to push more 60fps games if the devs want to, compared to what they could do this gen with the crappy Jaguars.

TLZ

Banned
I'm more than happy them sticking to 1440p. This resolution looks crisp and good enough on a 4k TV, and happy for the rest of the power used somewhere else.

Stuart360

How did you come up with those figures, im curious what calculation you used?
He's not wrong. you need 3-4 times the processing power to run a 1080p game at 4k, depending on the game. I have tested it on tons of PC games over the years amnd its always in that range.
You could probably get it down a little bit on a closed system like a console, hense why both Xbox's are rumoured to be 4tf and 12tf.

that not true, it will be the same experience, the only difference is resolution. no one must make compromise in game development.

cypherq

Neo Member
that not true, it will be the same experience, the only difference is resolution. no one must make compromise in game development.

The problem is that whatever gets made will have to run on the base console so it will be limited to the processing power of that. So it will hold back the more powerful model if that has a more powerful processor as well as a GPU.

Just don't see the point of having two consoles. Although it will probably end up as it is now. A higher-def console running 4K and a 1080p version.

Still think its a bit silly to have two variants at launch TBH. But there again MS have done this before I guess with the 360 (core and premium) however the only difference there was the hard drive not anything internal to the machine.

The problem is that whatever gets made will have to run on the base console so it will be limited to the processing power of that. So it will hold back the more powerful model if that has a more powerful processor as well as a GPU.

Just don't see the point of having two consoles. Although it will probably end up as it is now. A higher-def console running 4K and a 1080p version.

Still think its a bit silly to have two variants at launch TBH. But there again MS have done this before I guess with the 360 (core and premium) however the only difference there was the hard drive not anything internal to the machine.
not when the base console has the same cpu/ram/ssd speed like the 4K version.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
The new CPU legit means 60 FPS will be norm. Ray Tracing means lighting and object creation gets physically based streamlined, artist can now focus on details of photo realism.

Gonna be pretty cool. Expect Pro consoles in a few years but sony is betting a PS2 renasaisance on PS5, they were like this pre PS3 too. Gameplay innovation isn't the same though, everyone is copying one another.

I get it... one will have slightly shinier graphics. Just seems pointless on a launch console. Anyway. It will be what it will be. :)
... and what when MS is releasing this 1080p console on this year E3 and the big one in 12-14 months.
There is new official info on twitter:

no nextgen ps launch over next 12 months

SaucyJack

The Xbox One X is a machine designed to run X1S or PS4 games at 4k. It's going to be tied to last gen because of the Jag CPU.

The purported "Lockhart" has a next-gen CPU with a more modern GPU. Here's an example of what just a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU at 4GHz can do with a RX 480 set to 911MHz core/4.2TFLOPS compared to the 6TF Polaris 10 in the X1X:

NXGamer running X1S version of The Witcher 3 unpatched and with unlocked framerate in CPU-heavy Novigrad:

38-43fps

70-74fps

The 4.2TFLOPS GPU is running the game ~70% faster than the 6TF GPU. This is why it's more important that the rumored "Lockhart" has the same CPU and also has the same GPU architecture as the Anaconda.

PC benchmarks seem to confirm that a setup like this will work from what I've seen.

Fine, but then what happens to the One X? Do they kill it given you expect nextgen to be backwards compatible?

My fundamental point on all of this is that bringing 2 new consoles on the market in addition to the existing One, One S, One X, SAD edition, etc makes for potential confusion. Marketing that lot could be a real challenge.

Ar¢tos

I kinda understand MS strategy of releasing 2 consoles. They know they can't win Europe, so they hope to steal some sales from Sony there by releasing a budget console. It can tip the scales a bit in countries like Greece, Italy, etc.

what if xbox2 has 10c/20t any real benefits?
I can see more drawbacks than benefits. Since Zen2 is more powerful than Jaguar, 8c is more than enough for next gen games and adding 2c would only use die space that could be better used for more GPU compute units.

Last edited:

cypherq

Neo Member
The new CPU legit means 60 FPS will be norm. Ray Tracing means lighting and object creation gets physically based streamlined, artist can now focus on details of photo realism.

Gonna be pretty cool. Expect Pro consoles in a few years but sony is betting a PS2 renasaisance on PS5, they were like this pre PS3 too. Gameplay innovation isn't the same though, everyone is copying one another.

Well 60fps was supposed to be the norm this generation (it was certainly thrown around a lot before the consoles launched). I expect that the games will just get shinier again and still run at 30fps. All the extra power will go towards visual effects IMHO.

Happy to wait and see though. Personally not buying either a Sony or MS console at the next launch. Going to wait until there are some groundbreaking games that come out for them first..... Essentially though the next batch of consoles will seem just like a PC upgrade.

I expect MS will launch first but with what games? Gears 5, Forza 8 and Halo Infinite? It would be nice to see something innovative....

Top Bottom