• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox is ‘More Advanced’ Than the PS5 according to Insiders.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sure there is... if it launches later.

Like how much later? One year later?

The meltdowns and damage control in 2013 and early 2014 were amazing to behold. Gies and others were trashing the PS4 at every chance, while trying to sell their readers the XBox One. Eurogamer was frequently posting articles praising the XBox One "balanced design" versus the PS4 only being "superior on paper", not to mention the angry editorials throwing tantrums over PS4 sales. Never before, or since, has blatant control over the press, or just plain fanboyism among "journalists", been more evident.

I remember those days. They were wild! I see some of this starting to happen now when it comes to the XCloud talk and some of these same people acting as if PSNow doesn't even exist.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Theoretically AMD could put post navi arch features on both systems

I think that is what it might come down to all things considered (past, road-map, point in time).
The specialized chip and the fact that Arcturus showed up in the Dante XDK (which HMQGG and Brad Sams confirms as the name of the dev-kit) does make you wonder.
I'm curious how this all will play out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The meltdowns and damage control in 2013 and early 2014 were amazing to behold. Gies and others were trashing the PS4 at every chance, while trying to sell their readers the XBox One. Eurogamer was frequently posting articles praising the XBox One "balanced design" versus the PS4 only being "superior on paper", not to mention the angry editorials throwing tantrums over PS4 sales. Never before, or since, has blatant control over the press, or just plain fanboyism among "journalists", been more evident.

"Do not read too much into those sales..." "Balance vs on paper superiority" "900p not that much worse than 1080p, you will not notice it..."

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Xenon

Anyone using the beginning of this gen as a guide for how things are going to go next gen haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that it's a lock that they will have the fastest machine. But they're 100% focused on it with no distractions. Sony is not getting the gen handed to them this time. One other thing I think needs to be brought up is the controller. Recently went back to a 360 controller, good lord what a difference a gen makes. I really hope MS is committed to pushing the design forward on that as well.

PaNaMa

Banned
For me, hardware will always be king. With such a high percentage of games being multi platform, give me the best hardware every time. When MS launched a surprisingly weak console in X1 w/kinect value add, I knew I'd be switching to Sony. I really resented Microsoft going all in on this camera gimmick, that in my estimation, killed all the momentum they'd build with X360. Hell, it killed X360's momentum and gave Sony time, the way I see it. In my mind, if anything, MS's Kinect focus dragged out the X360's life cycle far too long, and I was forced back into PC gaming because the hardware had become extremely dated, and camera gimmick dancing games was something I just had no interest in.

When the next gen finally began, I vowed to buy whichever console had the best hardware. At the time, PSN sucked compared to XBL (tho it was getting better) but Sony's superior hardware left me with no choice, I felt.

I returned to MS's ecosystem upon the release of X1X. X1X is an awesome console, even constrained as it is by Jaguar. It showed me Microsoft was taking hardware seriously again (read: taking people like me seriously again). So I really am excited to see what MS brings.

Come on with the leaks!

Well, sure, and the outlets that used selective specs sheets to say both consoles were "equal" in therms of performance, and that MS had a vague ecosystem advantage, and oh yeah that controller that you need a video explaining how to use it.

It helped the XBox quite a lot as well, I met people who still believed they bought an equal console years later!

Eurogamer are still at it in their DF analysis, until recently they could barely tell the difference between 900p and 1080p (PS4 v.s. XB1), but could spot the difference between 1440p/1800p "chekerboarded to 4k" (faux K if you will) to native 4k from a mile away! (PRO v.s. X)... I mean, 900p games on the PS4 always looked blurrier than native 1080p games, no need to pay much attention to it, those games that use the checkerboard techniques to upscale to 4k still look pretty neat, even from 1440p, at least it does not annoy me nearly as much as sub 1080p games on a 1080p screen bothered me, you really need to squint to see those scaling artifacts on a 4k tv/monitor.

As I said to a friend back then, the PS4 is better, and it will show, but it's not so much more powerful that one day a game will be made for the PS4 that cannot exist on the xbox with a resolution, and/or other graphics details, sacrifice. I stand by this statement, this is also why I think that if we have the opposite power differential this gen, even with an equivalent ratio, it won't madder that much, I mean, with 30X more GPU power you may get better SSAO, slightly improved AA, maybe a bit more draw distance too? it will be harder to care, even for the hardcore.

scalman

i kinda want it would be truth because then sony would think : ok we need make very good game now . not just ok we have all the power so games can be ok .

CyberPanda

Banned
It was the cherry on top of the idiot sundae.
Don Mattrick sundae.

F441-A205-999-F-4-E63-81-D7-B1-FF6173-A249.gif

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The 2-sku rumors with Lockhart and Anaconda always seemed true. I'm buying the 4TF(Lockhart)/12TF(Anaconda) rumor too. $299 and $499. Color me surprised that the Lockhart is getting 1TB NVME.

*Blank* Raytracing, huh?

Shin

Banned
This goes with that, not going to bother explain do your own research.
I believe the part that's blocked out before ray-tracing = dedicated (toss that under rumor as I don't remember where I read/heard about it).

If the strategy is 1080/60 for Lockhart with all the bells and whistles (CPU/SSD/RT) and for $299-ish and with a new GPU then it's a solid strategy.
My interest is power and engineering, so curiosity goes out to Anaconda and how they'll top Scorpio's design or grow even further now that they have solid footing in that department.

wHcrp5L.png

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
No way Lockhard is only 4TF. I'm betting on 8TF and 14TF.
You are more optimistic than me, for sure. :messenger_beaming:

Lockhart is going to be a 1080p/Fortnite, Minecraft, SoT, Apex, Roblox...box. It has to be affordable. 8TF is too much power in relation to the goal of 1080p version of the 4K/12TF native version, and too high of cost for an impulse buy. Switch and it's $299 price sits right at the threshold for what is essentially an advanced children's toy(in the mind of the parent).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What’s so hard to understand about what I said? The whole jokes about the leaks hiding the specs

Cause it’s lame and a broken record? We supposed to praise the black bars?

It’s the same shit that was said already. It deserves ridicule. Ya heard?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Cause it’s lame and a broken record? We supposed to praise the black bars?

It’s the same shit that was said already. It deserves ridicule. Ya heard?
Yeah and I said we’ll see how the funny the jokes will be after the reveal so why are you mad? Calm your tits

Last edited:
  • LOL

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah and I said we’ll how the funny the jokes will be after the reveal so why are you mad? Calm your tits

Damn it, I was going to say calm your tits too but held off, lol.

Not mad, having fun, thought you would pick up on that.

Armorian

Banned
What’s the point of a next gen console weaker than the One X?

All X1X power goes to resolution (we will never see what is possible on this console it games were made as exclusives for it), same for 12TF-14TF next gen consoles. Pure graphical fidelity jump will be more than 2x over PS4 based on GPU power alone, with few times more powerful CPU and at least 2x amount of RAM and SSD it's not looking bad at all...

Plus: with 4TF as a base for 1080p - 16TF is needed for 2160p wich means we won't see many native titles (that really push graphical fidelity) but with X1X being able to render some PS4 games in 4K with just over 3x more powerful GPU maybe some magic is possible (it's probably just newer architecture and higher memory BW) :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Top Bottom