• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

JGS

Banned
No SD card makes it similar to the current Fire with a new Fire on the way.

The SD card is my only gripe with my Fire. The camera is a non-issue.

Kind of off topic but does Amazon make any money from Fire hardware sales? I'm just wondering if it is worth it for them to be competing in this cut throat hardware market.

Hoo-doo

Banned
you are either crazy or work for the competition...or both.

Well, 7 inch is kind of a weird size for a device made for content consumption.
Not small enough to put in a pocket, but too small to be enjoyed for long stretches of time when you'd be better off grabbing something with a bigger screen.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You don't think $300 for a 10" tablet is a good deal?
It's a great deal but they wouldn't be able to price it like that especially seeing they are probably making slim ass margins on these tablets(or a loss on the lower end one).

If they were to price the 10 inch at 300 the 250 7 inch would just sit in warehouses.

Found out about this through Uncrate. I also spotted this:

http://uncrate.com/p/2012/06/google-nexus-q.jpg

Google Nexus Q

This would be cool if you could play media straight from the device (which it doesn't seem like you can). I'd be very inclined to rip my Blu-Rays and play them that way if I could.

I might do this also...

I have the 16 gig version..

Is $170 what they are going for now a days?

That's what I see after a quick look on eBay.

reKon

Banned
laughably small. almost useless, especially if you have one of those bigger android phones, don't bother with this.

wow, what a trainwreck this tablet is. Not to mention fugly.

wow.. some of the things you say sometime. This is a kindle fire competitor that easily out does it in specs and will run on a slighty smoother OS (cause ICS is pretty smooth to begin with despite the haters) full of customization, improved media content, and a lot of other new features on top of ICS for $200..

JGS

Banned
Thinking of ordering.

For those who have used a 7" tablet, do you find it too small in general use? Reading PDFs, browsing the web etc.?
It's a perfect size for me except for the keyboard which takes some getting used to. The screens are a vast improvement from a phones and I find 10 inch tablets are too unwieldy for me.

The Prime movie streaming is great too. My only gripe is I'm used to 3G on my phone and other Kindle, so tracking down a wifi connection is annoying.

Ephemeris

My ICS touchpad is the only reason I wouldn't get the N7. :(

I'd offer an even swap, but I think I'd miss the 32GB's of storage.

Cheebo

Banned
Google Music + Dropbox/Box/Google Drive have your back

It's not as great I know, but dropbox + google music has worked great for me.

I wish that the $199 version was at least 16 gigs though because this is a device that is made for a lot of content including apps. You need the space to be able to play those 500 mb+ gameloft games!
So I have to be on wifi to access any of my music or movies? That is a joke.

Please asus releas the memo soon

Cheebo

Banned
You can cache them to the device for offline use.
My entire music or movie collection? No chance. A tiny sleeve with MicroSD cards could.

Nearly everyone makes cheap android tablets with a sd reader. Even the nook color has one!

This is a gigantic failure of the device. Asus showed off the memo 370t at ces for 250 with 16gb with the exact same specs except it had a sd card slot. This nexus better not have replaced it. :( has there been any word about it?

I was all ready to buy this, I can't believe how badly Google messed this up. If the memo is still on track for 2012 that will be mine.

BFIB

Wow, a joint venture with Asus and Google? Might be time to move on from my Kindle Fire (though I expect them to announce something within the next couple weeks).

Since the Fire's resolution wasn't the greatest when it launched, this is going to look fantastic. I wonder if I could get $150 for my Kindle Fire and case?

So I have to be on wifi to access any of my music or movies? That is a joke.

Please asus releas the memo soon

If it's anything like the way the TouchPad and Kindle Fire are set up, there will be some space on the device for your own files, and you can just connect via USB and copy your files to it.

kehs

Banned
My entire music or movie collection? No chance. A tiny sleeve with MicroSD cards could.

Nearly everyone makes cheap android tablets with a sd reader. Even the nook color has one!

This is a gigantic failure of the device. Asus showed off the memo 370t at ces for 250 with 16b with the exact same specs except it had a sd card slot. This nexus better not have replaced it. :( has there been any word about it?

I was all ready to buy this, I can't believe how badly Google messed this up. If the memo is still on track for 2012 that will be mine.

Plug in a card reader to the usb.

I have a touchpad with ICS. I might switch to this. No SD card is tough though. Might wait for the new Fire, or get a Acer A100 or something. Touchpad is too heavy sometimes, haha.

golem

You need the space to be able to play those 500 mb+ gameloft games!
Thats the thing, even with streaming services there are plenty of just everyday apps that take up 500+ mb or more. 8gb is just not enough for tablet use.

Adamm

Love my nexus devices & I'm in the market for a tablet.

Why couldn't they make a 10 inch version? 7 just seems too small

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Thats the thing, even with streaming services there are plenty of just everyday apps that take up 500+ mb or more. 8gb is just not enough for tablet use.

I've still got a good chunk of space free with plenty of apps, games, ebooks, etc on my Kindle Fire and it's still working fine for my needs.

YMMV, I supppose.

Cheebo

Banned
Plug in a card reader to the usb.

There are tiny little microSD card readers that plug into the micro usb slot? Everything I find requires a microUSB to USB converter cable which means you have to have a ugly cord dangling from your device with a sd reader plugged into the full USB cord to use this which basically defeats the whole point.

This is the device to get, I hope Asus didn't scrap it for the Nexux:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/asus-eee-pad-memo-370t/

Cheebo

Banned
Doesn't everyone else just store everything in the cloud now...?

Requiring a wifi signal makes the cloud service pretty useless for everything away from home. It is not good for travel and not to mention most free storage (like the drive) is only 5 gb. I can't store all my movies on google drive or drop box. I'd be paying in the hundreds every month for that kind of storage.

Somnid

Kind of off topic but does Amazon make any money from Fire hardware sales? I'm just wondering if it is worth it for them to be competing in this cut throat hardware market.

No they don't, they are using it to push Amazon's digital services. It worked too, developers make more on Amazon's marketplace than they do on Google's, I doubt Amazon is anything but happy with the Fire. If anything it's questionable if Google should be here since like with Surface this is just going to kill OEMs but unlike Surface not going to make them any money. This is to get the Play store off the ground which is risk being so open to potentially better digital shops like Amazon.

Anyway the device suite on this looks great. GPS is killer in the wifi only market as is a magnetometer, camera, and NFC. Nice looking tablet.

Does this device have TV Out? That would close to solidify my decision to get one.

But that isn't on the go. You are stuck relying on your computer.

Ah, I see. Still, you don't need wi-fi to access your media if you copy them to the device.
I have been in situations where I wish I'd be able to plug in my camera's SD card and copy photos, but that's rare for me. My computer holds all of my media, so I always copy from there. Perhaps your situation and needs are different, which I can understand.

Erasus

Hardware seems great, TEGRA is a great CPU right? But low storage and too small screen makes me pass this for the ipad

Cheebo

Banned
Does this device have TV Out? That would close to solidify my decision to get one.

Ah, I see. Still, you don't need wi-fi to access your media if you copy them to the device.
I have been in situations where I wish I'd be able to plug in my camera's SD card and copy photos, but that's rare for me. My computer holds all of my media, so I always copy from there. Perhaps your situation and needs are different, which I can understand.

It's just if I am getting a 7 inch tablet it is kind of unreasonable to expect to be able to have your computer at all times to transfer files. Especially when 16 gb will hold 2 HD movies at best. Kinda crazy for travel purposes.

giga

One way the companies managed that is through razor-thin margins. Google is selling the device through its Google Play store, essentially at cost and also absorbing the marketing costs associated with the device.

“When it gets sold through the Play store, there’s no margin,” Rubin said. “It just basically gets (sold) through.”

While that kind of cost structure could make life challenging for any other hardware makers looking to sell Android tablets, Rubin insists there is plenty of room left for Android tablet innovation.
http://allthingsd.com/20120627/excl...onney-shih-on-how-they-cooked-up-the-nexus-7/

Lol, let's be real. Other Android tab makers are fucked and can't sell devices at cost.

Maxim726X

I agree with everyone else here.

It's mind-boggling why this device doesn't have an SD slot- That would be a great way to distinguish itself from the competition.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://allthingsd.com/20120627/excl...onney-shih-on-how-they-cooked-up-the-nexus-7/

Lol, let's be real. Other Android tab makers are fucked and can't sell devices at cost.

KuGsj.gif
Google going for Amazon's fricking throat, damn.

Cheebo

Banned
I agree with everyone else here.

It's mind-boggling why this device doesn't have an SD slot- That would be a great way to distinguish itself from the competition.

And it's not like it is a money reason. Even the extremely low-end cheap android based tablets like the nook have them. Even sub 200 ones. It's done purely out of a desire of google to keep it more closed rather than open to have people rely on their services. A very Appley sort of move which is disappointing since you'd expect Google to be for more open.

rpmurphy

I thought Google was Motorola hardware, now.

This was what the CFO said last week:
"It's important it stays on its own battlefield," he said. "We are not integrating Motorola with Google, we're making sure it has everything it needs to win in its own space. You shouldn't expect a full integration of the two companies."

He added that the mobile products firm has "fantastic assets that need to be reset, reprioritized... and in that context think of Google in a way taking Motorola private."

With Motorola Mobility still undergoing restructuring due to the acquisition, I think there will be some time before we see major movement in that area, and probably not in the direction of Google tying itself to its own hardware. I also hear that under Google, the software side of MM employees has more perks than the hardware side... so yeah, go figure.

Hardware seems great, TEGRA is a great CPU right? But low storage and too small screen makes me pass this for the ipad

Aren't the Fire/Nexus and iPad/Surface for two different markets though? At least, that's how I'm seeing things. The former is for those on a budget.

JayDub

Nearly perfect tablet.

7 inch size, one hand holding
Vanilla Android
Jelly bean
Nexus (guaranteed vanilla OS support for 2 years?)
720p IPS high quality screen
Quad core Tegra processor
Good, simple design
250 game changer price

Deal breakers are no micro sdslot. 16gb is not enough. Lack of camera is understandable for the price. Even if the price was $50 more for an sd slot it would've been worth it.

I'll wait for either a revision or something from another manufacturer after this becomes successful (and it will be successful). God 7 inch is so awesome

Top Bottom