• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

RuGalz

Would have loved a SD slot but this is near perfect for what I need a 7" tablet for -- living room and on the go. 10" can stay on my night stand... I guess I have no choice but get the 16g version for offline navigation maps.

BFIB

I just ordered the 16GB. If Amazon announces the new Fire, I'll decide between the two then. For the price point, it blows my current Kindle out of the water. Now let's hope its closer to two weeks than three!

drspeedy

laughably small. almost useless, especially if you have one of those bigger android phones, don't bother with this.

wow, what a trainwreck this tablet is. Not to mention fugly.

don't be such a snob... I have a BB Playbook and a Kindle, and a 7" tablet is honestly a very, very effective form factor. It works well one or two handed, offers plenty of screen real estate, and the screen at this resolution will be fine. I like iPads fine, but 10" tablets won't fit easily into anything outside a backpack, and other than games and pictures a 10" screen is no better than 7". I read and play constantly on mine, iPad sits on the coffee table mostly.

I'll wait to see how Jellybean works, though. I'm not even remotely a fan of Android as a tablet OS. It works, but so do cassette tapes. Doesn't mean there's not much better options available.

Raistlin

Except it's not a comparison to begin with. You are reading too much into one-off statements to the press.

• More powerful SoC - OMAP4460 (dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX540 graphics core). Apple TV 3 uses an A5R2 variant (single-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX543 with an unknown active core count). Roku 2 XS uses a Broadcom BCM2835 (ARM11 core with Broadcom’s VideoCore co-processor).

• More memory - 1GB LPDDR RAM, 16GB NAND flash memory. Apple 3 TV has 512 MB LPDDR2 RAM, 8 GB NAND flash memory. Roku 2 XS has 256MB DDR2 DRAM, 256 MB flash memory.

• More complex form-factor in materials and design, including extras like 32 perimeter LEDs, etc

• NFC

• Relatively complex on-board controls (rotating top dome volume control and capacitive touch sensor for mute on/off)

• 25W class D amplifier with banana plug outputs

• 1st generation product produced in limited quantities

I'm sure Chinese labor could make it cost a bit less, but certainly not anywhere near what it's being compared to. It's simply more advanced HW with more features - it is not in the same tier. So even assuming large-scale production in China, this will never have a BOM like Apple TV or Roku.

The point is, there really isn't anything to even compare it to. There isn't a similarly speced product out there in mass production in China to get a price from.

Fix your face. It's an ugly mug

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Except it's not a comparison to begin with. You are reading too much into one-off statements to the press.

• More powerful SoC - OMAP4460 (dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX540 graphics core). Apple TV 3 uses an A5R2 variant (single-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX543 with an unknown active core count). Roku 2 XS uses a Broadcom BCM2835 (ARM11 core with Broadcom’s VideoCore co-processor).

• More memory - 1GB LPDDR RAM, 16GB NAND flash memory. Apple 3 TV has 512 MB LPDDR2 RAM, 8 GB NAND flash memory. Roku 2 XS has 256MB DDR2 DRAM, 256 MB flash memory.

• More complex form-factor in materials and design, including extras like 32 perimeter LEDs, etc

• NFC

• Relatively complex on-board controls (rotating top dome volume control and capacitive touch sensor for mute on/off)

• 25W class D amplifier with banana plug outputs

• 1st generation product produced in limited quantities

I'm sure Chinese labor could make it cost a bit less, but certainly not anywhere near what it's being compared to. It's simply more advanced HW with more features - it is not in the same tier. So even assuming large-scale production in China, this will never have a BOM like Apple TV or Roku.

The point is, there really isn't anything to even compare it to. There isn't a similarly speced product out there in mass production in China to get a price from.

This is the third story that mentioned google explicitly saying it could be cheaper if it was not made in the US. You aren't going to scare me with your list based post. LOL . It would not be 299.99 if it were not made in the US. Google is willing to admit that. Why can't you? I know that no one likes being wrong.

I'm not claiming it would be 99 dollars so don't attempt to move the goal posts and pin me to a price. All I said was making it in the US made it cost more than if it was made somewhere else.

Edit: No where in my initial post did I mention any competitors. If Google thought 299 was what they wanted to sell it for they would have never explicitly stated it costs more due to being made in the US. The wording is very clear. NYT is not inferring this from the price.

rozay

Banned
I'm pretty sure even with all that it would be a good amount cheaper, no more than $199. Still think they should've priced it a little lower to get more people in the door from the start.

MThanded

Claiming it should be worth 299 is one thing. Google is not even claiming that. Why say it costs more due to American manufacturing? Thats a bad can of worms to open if its not true.

Sanjuro

Claiming it should be worth 299 is one thing. Google is not even claiming that. Why say it costs more due to American manufacturing? Thats a bad can of worms to open if its not true.

Even if they spewed nothing but bullshit, I'd still probably imagine it's true.

Raistlin

This is the third story that mentioned google explicitly saying it could be cheaper if it was not made in the US.
It's called context. Would it be a bit cheaper? Sure ... but at what relative price are we talking about? The media is running on idea that if this was made in China it would cost as much as a Roku. It's silly.

My point ... again ... is we don't really have anything to compare it to even get a rough idea of the price. Based on the BOM and form-factor though, obviously it costs significantly more to build.

You aren't going to scare me with your list based post. LOL .
Yes - who cares about details and facts.

It would not be 299.99 if it were not made in the US. Google is willing to admit that. Why can't you? I know that no one likes being wrong.
I admit I'm wrong all the time. Quit talking shit, fo' :p

In the literal sense, yes it would not be $299. However you are running with the implications being made by the (shitty) media on this. They're painting an inherently incorrect context by framing it with Apple TV and Roku. That sort of pricing is a non-starter regardless of where it's created.

So the question is how much less would it cost? We really don't know since there is nothing to compare it to. The salient point however is that the actual price delta would not be all that much ... and the comparison to Apple TV and Roku is implying a completely incorrect expectation of the actual price difference due to labor.

MThanded

It's called context. Would it be a bit cheaper? Sure ... but at what relative price are we talking about? The media is running on idea that if this was made in China it would cost as much as a Roku. It's silly.

My point ... again ... is we don't really have anything to compare it to even get a rough idea of the price. Based on the BOM and form-factor though, obviously it costs significantly more to build.

Yes - who cares about details and facts.

I admit I'm wrong all the time. Quit talking shit, fo' :p

In the literal sense, yes it would not be $299. However you are running with the implications being made by the (shitty) media on this. They're painting an inherently incorrect context by framing it with Apple TV and Roku. That sort of pricing is a non-starter regardless of where it's created.

So the question is how much less would it cost? We really don't know since there is nothing to compare it to. The salient point however is that the actual price delta would not be all that much ... and the comparison to Apple TV and Roku is implying a completely incorrect expectation of the actual price difference due to labor.
5oZuV.jpg

Good question
I'm not claiming it would be 99 dollars so don't attempt to move the goal posts and pin me to a price. All I said was making it in the US made it cost more than if it was made somewhere else.

Izick

200$ is an amazing price. Never had a tablet before, but all I do on my laptop is Gaf, Facebook, and watch videos. Will this be able to do that well?

Raistlin

I'm not sure about mass production, but isn't it basically this thing but with video?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CROHX6/
Actually that isn't the part of the Sonos family with amps in it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CROHU4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Granted the above has a more powerful amp than the Q. Obviously the SoC however is dramatically weaker among numerous other differences. So it's hard to really get a good feel for relative costs.

That said, look at the pricing of Sonos products. And they're made in Malaysia. Bringing up stuff like AppleTV and Roku is apples to oranges in terms of costs, scale, etc.

Izick

Definitely, but typing is a bit of a drag.

Oh really? I've never actually used a touch interface to type stuff (besides messing around with a friend's iPhone or something), at least not in-depth. Why is it bad compared to other virtual keyboards?

Google and HTC. I will never buy a device without Sd card slot and replacable battery. If one day Samsung stop making phone with expendability, I will buy Chinese brand.
What do you use an SD card for? I used to think the same way out of principle, but a year or two ago I realized I never take the card out of the device, and it's just a hassle to transfer data using it. I much rather use Dropbox or Drive.

Raistlin

5oZuV.jpg

Good question
I was going by the referenced article.

If you were simply making the point it would be cheaper, then fine ... I agree. The point is, it likely wouldn't be much. And given the context, stating 'that's why it's $299' does read like there's an implication it's substantial.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's really too bad that there is no SD card support alright. It's tempting, but no SD card support is a deal breaker for me. Still, the best valued tablet ever from the look of it right now. Nook and Kindle Fire are fucked.

Unfortunately it's likely a deal breaker for me as well. When I saw this presented I was all set to have it replace my 7" Galaxy Tab but not if I can't have more than 8 gigs of space on the cheaper version. It's great that I can play 9 hours of HD video except that you can't fit 9 hours of HD video in 8 gigs of space. One of the things we use the Galaxy Tab for is for the kids to watch stuff in the car on long trips.

Cheebo

Banned
I want a 7 inch with HDMI out and SD card slot. I'm willing to pay $300

Asus is releasing the Memo 370T later this year. Same specs as this, basically the exact same thing as this for $250 with 16 GB internal but a camera on the back and a HDMI out and SD Card slot as well.

asus-eeepad-memo-370t.jpg

image27.jpg

Got approved by the FCC last month it seems, so should be out soon.

Raistlin

Oh really? I've never actually used a touch interface to type stuff (besides messing around with a friend's iPhone or something), at least not in-depth. Why is it bad compared to other virtual keyboards?
It's not that it's necessarily worse than other virtual keyboards, it's just that all virtual keyboards are crap if it comes to actually typing a fair amount.

I'm really curious to see the screen. I'd been planning on getting an iPad in August, my six year old laptop is dying, and it's so huge I've never been able to take it with my anywhere. iPad seems like a near perfect device to have with me at all times (I'll also be getting a new computer to keep at home for writing papers and whatnot).

While I'll use it to take note and play games and browse the web and everything else you do with an iPad, the thing I'm most excited about is magazines. I read a lot of magazines, and it sucks having to throw away back issues because they're piling up, and keeping up on everything I want to read and be annoying too because I don't really want to walk around with five magazine in my backpack. Having them all on a tablet is going to be awesome.

I do feel kind of time spending $500 on a tablet with Surface around the corner though, and if the Nexus' screen is nice enough I might get it as a stop gap instead of the iPad. Magazines almost look good on my dad's Fire, I could care less about the screen size as long as I don't have to pinch and zoom and swipe around to read a page.

I'm not sure if the Nexus' bump in resolution will make that possible or not, but if it does I'll be picking one up.

What's the Google Marketplace like these days? I remember reading as soon as a few months ago that there are still very few tablet-centric apps. Every time I use my dad's Fire it seems like there's next to nothing being developed for it.

ToxicAdam

It's just clumsier and slower. But if you are only typing a few sentences at a time, it's no big deal.

Raistlin

Asus is releasing the Memo 370T later this year. Same specs as this, basically the exact same thing as this for $250 with 16 GB internal but a camera on the back and a HDMI out and SD Card slot as well.

asus-eeepad-memo-370t.jpg

image27.jpg

Got approved by the FCC last month it seems, so should be out soon.

Does that still come with a pen (and have a place to hide it)? If so, it is a WAY better deal.

rozay

Banned
What do you use an SD card for? I used to think the same way out of principle, but a year or two ago I realized I never take the card out of the device, and it's just a hassle to transfer data using it. I much rather use Dropbox or Drive.
things like having more than 16GB of storage on a device for music, HD recorded movies (not that applicable on this tablet tbh) and movies. Not having 32GB makes this less appealing as a device to travel with.

tino

Banned

Review photos I take with my SLR. Watch video sometimes but rarely.

Raistlin

things like having more than 16GB of storage on a device for music, HD recorded movies (not that applicable on this tablet tbh) and movies. Not having 32GB makes this less appealing as a device to travel with.
Yeah, it's realistically more geared for in-house use. I suppose given the price that's fine.

Izick

Shit, why is everyone stepping up in the tablet game this year? I was interested in the Surface, but I'm guessing it will be too pricey for me, and I'm not a PC gamer, or power-user, so this tablet may be golden. My only concern is the screen may be too small, but that's it, and even that I'm not sure.

Raistlin

I don't think so. As far as I can tell it is the Nexus 7 except with expandable ports and a back camera.

And the left it's name as MeMO?

LOL. That's like having Apple TV only support audio.

my understanding is it supports the same capacitive stylus as the 171 though - would be redic if it didn't

Shit, why is everyone stepping up in the tablet game this year?
Predictions point it to overtaking PC's in a few years ... so it's a good time to take the gloves off. Google and MS obviously don't want Apple running away with this.

Top Bottom