• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Raistlin

What is gimped on the Q and nexus 7?
For the 7, doesn't have SD support and has very limited memory. It's obviously intended more for streaming than local playback. And at least based on the current specs, no video out (though that may be a misprint). Granted you can use other services besides Google Play, but obviously it's their hope that you'll use their services.

Then there's the Q. Based on the video and the description, only Google Play Music, Google Play Movies and TV, and YouTube videos actually work to stream to it. Currently no other services can be sent to it, and there's no indication they can be directly played on the device itself. As a matter of fact (at least in the video on the site), there's no indication it has the standard Android interface to actually run anything directly on it at all. They aren't even showing it. I suspect logically it's a custom UI and is only meant for Google services.

This is basically the exact opposite of traditional Android and Google TV, where the idea is to play whatever from wherever. Hell, this is more restrictive than AirPlay is. They updated it to do mirroring.

It isn't a cost thing. SD Card slots are extremely cheap. They are even in the super cheap low end android tablets that cost closer to $100. It's all about locking people into the cloud google play service. Which is very Appley.
This. And it's a disturbing direction.

I'm really thinking about getting this. $200 isn't too hard for me to swallow, and I really want an Android device, but don't want to switch from an iPhone to an Android phone, as I'm already too connected into the Apple ecosystem. But yeah, I may preorder this soon.

Do you only get the $25 credit if you preorder it?

Timbuktu

I'm pretty surprise how many in this thread are going ti have multiple tablets as well as phones and computers. I don't know how one can possibly use so many devices.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's pretty obvious Google is pushing everything towards the cloud.

I've embraced it. I uploaded all my music and use dropbox with random files, apks, pictures etc.

Then again I only have about 4000 songs and no videos at all, so I ain't mad.

I use dropbox too, I'm not worried about files and pictures. Games and other apps are getting bigger, I don't care about music on a tablet, but to have to use the fridge mentality for apps is stupid.

Ashodin

I'm totally getting this. I've been waiting for a google-branded tablet that will let me sync and use the apps I use on my phone in high rez.

Does anyone knowledgeable on resolutions have an opinions on how noticeable the resolution increase relative to current 7" tablets is going to be? I wonder if it's going to be very noticeable.

Raistlin

Not sure if I like that. Just sounds like an Apple TV, but not even that good.
Actually it's a lot worse currently.

Apple TV has other non-Apple services on it, even if there aren't many. Plus you can use AirPlay with mirroring to stream whatever you want from your iPhone/iPad.

Google's goal with the Q is to make people think Google TV is a much better product than it otherwise is. GENIUS
AHAHAHAHAHA holy shit ... maybe you're right :D

040723_MNightShyamalan_bcol_2p.widec.jpg

I thought the Surface was going to be more affordable. Could be wrong though.
Apparently the RT version doesn't exist for NZer.

TeegsD

Been waiting to get a tablet and I think Google has sold me. 250 for 16GB is perfect and lack of SD doesn't bother me as I don't see myself even filling it up. On one of the Verge's articles, they have a picture of a white Nexus 7 yet I can only find a black one. Is the white one also coming out at the same time?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm pretty surprise how many in this thread are going ti have multiple tablets as well as phones and computers. I don't know how one can possibly use so many devices.

When you love gadgets and you're not a tech blogger, you convince yourself that you need that next device because it fits some mythical "use case" that you never even knew existed before. Very few people actually need a tablet at all, much less multiple ones. Also, I'm part of that unfortunate growing group of gadget lovers.

dwebo

Been waiting to get a tablet and I think Google has sold me. 250 for 16GB is perfect and lack of SD doesn't bother me as I don't see myself even filling it up. On one of the Verge's articles, they have a picture of a white Nexus 7 yet I can only find a black one. Is the white one also coming out at the same time?

only for google i/o attendees (for now)

looks like it's only white-backed, anyway

Raistlin

Highly unlikely, going by the fact that a) Microsoft never mentioned a price and b) it's blatantly obvious they're gunning for the iPad's spot as the premium tablet.
The implication from NZer was that Surface will be at a higher tier than iPad. While that's the case for the Pro (it's essentially an ultrabook), that's not true for the RT rev. I'd expect it to be in the same ballpark as iPad.

It's pretty obvious Google is pushing everything towards the cloud.

I've embraced it. I uploaded all my music and use dropbox with random files, apks, pictures etc.

Then again I only have about 4000 songs and no videos at all, so I ain't mad.
The problem is they aren't just pushing everything towards the cloud, but also to their own services. Logical from a business perspective ... but pretty perpendicular to Android as we know it.

I'm very interested. I don't really like any of the tablet options at the moment - Android had never offered a good high end tablet without fragmentation, I hate iOS's censorship model, Windows RT's censorship model is nearly as bad, and while the Intel Surface looks great, it seems like it needs one more hardware revision by Intel to really kick ass.

So I might be in the market for a dirt cheap short term solution. And hey ho. This is dirt cheap. And sold in the UK. And looks pretty good for the money, and will get native Google Android updates.
What censorship model is that?

We don't. We just collect them like console emu and MAME ROMs.

Does anyone knowledgeable on resolutions have an opinions on how noticeable the resolution increase relative to current 7" tablets is going to be? I wonder if it's going to be very noticeable.
Well, it technically becomes a 'retina' display (based on Apple's formulation) somewhere between 16" and 17". So yeah it should be noticeable (you'd need to be nearly 22" for 1025 x 600).

saunderez

So has it been confirmed USB OTG is a no-go? I'm fine with no MicroSD as long as USB OTG works. It'd be preferable if it can power an external hard drive like my SGS3 can too.

Raistlin

Is it really that hard to include SD support :c
No ... they obviously don't want it for business reasons

So has it been confirmed USB OTG is a no-go? I'm fine with no MicroSD as long as USB OTG works. It'd be preferable if it can power an external hard drive like my SGS3 can too.
Thus far, nothing has been stated regarding USB beyond the connector type (micro).

No indication of MHL nor OTG thus far.

Raistlin

How you gonna quote that after i boomshakalaked him in the next post. You are slumming man lol.

He also admitted that yes it cost more due to american manufacturing.

However, I digress.
You don't just digress ... you shame yourself.

Given the context, it's obvious how your post was going to be read given its utter lack of specificity (either by intent or laziness).

BOOM

:p

I know, but their business reasons suck for consumers.
Agreed. And it's quite disconcerting given where they've come from.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You don't just digress ... you shame yourself.

Given the context, it's obvious how your post was going to be read given its utter lack of specificity (either by intent or laziness).

BOOM

:p

Agreed. And it's quite disconcerting given where they've come from.

No you are putting words in my mouth. It's 299.99 because its made in America. That is a fact. Google stated it. Not sure why you are trying to say anything more.

You are nearly as bad as Nvidiot.

MThanded

An interesting project would be to see how cheaply you could make a wireless enabled battery powered storage device to compliment this tablet. An arduino with wifi and a usb port where you could just plug any storage device into the arduino and grab the data over wifi.

tirminyl

This is true. I still don't see why anyone would buy this over the ASUS branded model with an SD card slot.

The only thing I can think of is future updates. I'm not familiar with Android tablets and what manufacturers update faster than the others. Maybe that doesn't matter but its something I would take into consideration.

TeegsD

This is true. I still don't see why anyone would buy this over the ASUS branded model with an SD card slot.

I basically stream everything nowadays so 16GB is more than enough room for me. Plus it'll be nice to finally have a Nexus device and get updates in a timely fashion

VALIS

8/16 GB and no SD support is a device death trap. I'll fill that thing up in a week then comes the never-ending hassle of declining what to delete so I can add more stuff, like I'm always doing on the iPad. I'm done with IPads largely because of this, so this device doesn't appeal to me at all.

Raistlin

No you are putting words in my mouth. It's 299.99 because its made in America. That is a fact. Google stated it. Not sure why you are trying to say anything more.

You are nearly as bad as Nvidiot.

And you're being obtuse.

When the thread and referenced media has a context, and you choose to post a quick one-liner related to what's being discussed ... logically people will assume the context in question if there is nothing to tell them otherwise. It's how communication works.

You're being as bad as Poligaf

MThanded

And you're being incredibly obtuse.

When the thread and referenced media has a context, and you choose to post a quick one-liner ... logically people will likely reference the context being discussed since there is nothing to tell them otherwise. It's how communication works.

You're being as bad as Poligaf

So you are telling me what my intentions are after I explicitly explained that I wasn't comparing the price to other similar products... what is this? Some sort of alternate reality? Your logic is just on another level. I am not worthy. Carry on.

Raistlin

So you are telling me what my intentions are after I explicitly explained that I wasn't comparing the price to other similar products... what is this? Some sort of alternate reality? Your logic is just on another level. I am not worthy. Carry on.
After you explicitly explained it I agreed with you.

I'm referring to the confusion from the original one-liner that lead to this sidetrack.

Zeth

Definitely getting either this or the Asus model with SD/HDMI/rear cam. I've been missing android since I got rid of my original Galaxy S and this should be a solid choice with the updates and such.

bedlamite

It's been mentioned before, but 7" will not cut it for magazine and comic reading. You can reformat articles to fit, but doing that all the time gets old quick, as will continually pinching and zooming in comics. I have the old firstgen Samsung Tab and while it's lovely for web-browsing, that screen size is just too small for magazine reading. No SD card slot is another nail in the coffin.

At US$199 I was definitely hyped at first but now that I've some time to think about it I'll just save up the cash for a Surface RT tablet at the end of the year.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
NICE....

Never before have I had so much buyer's remorse buying Prime. Will sell it to buy this (me prefer a smaller size tablet).

Not to bust your balls, but this model has been scrapped in favour of the Nexus 7, they are also removing the Quadcore T3GRA and replacing it with something cheaper.

Goodbye memo.

We’ve already seen those Tegra 3 abilities on other Android tablets, but Google is particularly pushing the Nexus 7 as a content consumption device. The tablet’s HDMI output means that you may be able to replace your PS3 or Xbox 360 by hooking the slate up direct to your TV.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-demos-currents-for-nexus-7-plus-horn-and-dead-trigger-27235917/

horn_1.jpg

Ico similar game?

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/0...let-details-confirmed-will-google-io-freebie/

Asus is manufacturing the first Google-branded Android tablet. As the name suggests, the Google Nexus tablet will ship with a 7″ display that packs 1280 x 800 display. Viewing isn’t limited to the small display however thanks to both a docking connector and HDMI port. The HDMI port follows Google’s renewed TV efforts and may encourage developers to build apps for the living room.

It has HDMI and a dock, everyone who says the contrary hasn't explored the model.

They were giving out free Nexus 7s with docks to journalists in the front row at the conference, clearly they would know.

Brian Crecente needs to have a little talk to his subordinates at the Verge.

Btw, you'll also be able to stream Skyrim, woo.

rozay

Banned
The galaxy nexus page never stated it had MHL or a HDMI connection, and it wouldn't surpise me if the N7 has it. Same with USB Host, though at the very least that can be added via rom/app.

kehs

Banned
Well, they were demoing live devices through mirroring on stage, so I'm guessing they have MHL working on board.

So perhaps a dumb question - will there be a Kindle app for this thing? If so, I might be in for one. Gotta have my books, though.

Also, have hackers figured out a way to get the Amazon VOD app onto other devices...that way I can ditch my Kindle for VOD and get this bad boy.

fake edit: pre-ordered. That androidcentral preview video sold me. That thing is buttery smooth.

gcubed

I use dropbox too, I'm not worried about files and pictures. Games and other apps are getting bigger, I don't care about music on a tablet, but to have to use the fridge mentality for apps is stupid.

i have a shitload of apps and games on my galaxy nexus. I also have all of my streamed songs stored after i stream them... i'm currently at 4gb used.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
That's for casuals though.

You can stream PC games to your T3GRA Quadcore CPU with no problems, casual trouble solved.

You can also use external storage sources via the micro usb, no problems there.

It seems people start nitpicking things when all the tools aren't readily available. If you have some computer know-how, you should scoff at these 'exclusions'.

If you're going to be reading a lot of comics and magazines on a tablet, doesn't it make sense to get a new iPad? Not only does it have the highest resolution, nearly 10 inch screen, but also has the most accurate colors of any tablet out there, which both greatly benefit comic and magazine reading.

Android is open-source, and is practically heaven for gamers as there are a lot of coders out there just willing to make anything happen.

Coming from a gamer's perspective, the Nexus 7 is a step in the right direction.

If you're into reading only, sure get a kindle, or ipad. I don't like the price, too rich for my blood.

Shearie

It's been mentioned before, but 7" will not cut it for magazine and comic reading. You can reformat articles to fit, but doing that all the time gets old quick, as will continually pinching and zooming in comics. I have the old firstgen Samsung Tab and while it's lovely for web-browsing, that screen size is just too small for magazine reading. No SD card slot is another nail in the coffin.

At US$199 I was definitely hyped at first but now that I've some time to think about it I'll just save up the cash for a Surface RT tablet at the end of the year.

If you're going to be reading a lot of comics and magazines on a tablet, doesn't it make sense to get a new iPad? Not only does it have the highest resolution, nearly 10 inch screen, but also has the most accurate colors of any tablet out there, which both greatly benefit comic and magazine reading.

HeySeuss

Price is definitely in the sweet spot. 16gb with Googles cloud service is probably plenty for 90% of the target consumer.

Looks like I found my first tablet.

Raistlin

It has HDMI and a dock, everyone who says the contrary hasn't explored the model.
More like there was speculation since that information wasn't known at the time. Nothing was stated in the conference, the specs do not mention MHL, and there's no reference to a dock on the Google Play site.

Regardless, LOL @ SlashGear saying this may be able to replace your 360 or PS3. I really wish there was a hobby I was involved in where the 'media' wasn't full of hyperboleshit

That's for casuals though.
That's true. Luckily the Nexus 7 is for hardcore users since it can replace your 360 and PS3.

kehs

Banned
Kindle Fire got burned.

Unless they unveil a $300 10 inch tablet next month.

That would be disastrous for oems, lol.

Raistlin: I'm getting the same feeling lately. All the videos I'm watching make me cringe.

You clearly missed all the headshots in the keynote.

SRG01

More like there was speculation since that information wasn't known at the time. Nothing was stated in the conference, the specs do not mention MHL, and there's no reference to a dock on the Google Play site.

I remember a distinct line during the conference mentioning mini-HDMI?

Top Bottom