• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Raistlin

I remember a distinct line during the conference mentioning mini-HDMI?
Oh maybe? If so, and I seemingly everyone here missed it.

Seems so stupid there's nothing listed in the official specs (and yes, I realize they did this with a previous Nexus - you'd think they'd learn).

Raistlin

You guys think Google eventually make a 10-inch version? A 7-inch tablet isn't really ideal for web browsing and reading IMO.
For the sake of OEM's, I'd hope not (though honestly I think Android in general is going to be a non-player in the full sized tablet market moving forward).

Regardless, there's a fair amount of competition in the 10" segment right now.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
lol @ slashgear!

Slashgear wrote the article like it happened, nice. But I'm more or less weighing in on an eventual dock.
I heard MINI HDMI too.

For the sake of OEM's, I'd hope not (though honestly I think Android in general is going to be a non-player in the full sized tablet market moving forward).

Regardless, there's a fair amount of competition in the 10" segment right now.

Well yeah, lots of 10-inch tablets out in the market already. This 7-inch space might be the sweet spot for Google (as it was for the Kindle fire) but I also think a 10-inch Nexus would make sense. Price it competitively and it will probably sell.

SRG01

Oh maybe? If so, and I seemingly everyone here missed it.

Seems so stupid there's nothing listed in the official specs (and yes, I realize they did this with a previous Nexus - you'd think they'd learn).

Yeah, I'm trying to locate the part of the conference with that...

SRG01

Ooops, my bad! It was the Q that said micro HDMI.

edit: Although in retrospect, how would they mirror the screen onto the projector easily without a HDMI output?

Kogepan

8/16 GB and no SD support is a device death trap. I'll fill that thing up in a week then comes the never-ending hassle of declining what to delete so I can add more stuff, like I'm always doing on the iPad. I'm done with IPads largely because of this, so this device doesn't appeal to me at all.

But other manufacturers will be filling in the gap. Thats their whole business model with Nexus. Let Samsung/HTC etc. provide premium products that will have increased storage, better screens, and more features.

bedlamite

If you're going to be reading a lot of comics and magazines on a tablet, doesn't it make sense to get a new iPad? Not only does it have the highest resolution, nearly 10 inch screen, but also has the most accurate colors of any tablet out there, which both greatly benefit comic and magazine reading.
Yep. It's not like you even need Retina (though that's a nice bonus), I'm running with an iPad 2 and the 10" screen is perfect for this kind of stuff.

If comics/magazine reading isn't your priority, then I'd say go ahead and get that Nexus, but based on prior experience 7" really isn't going to work for me.

You guys think Google will eventually make a 10-inch version? A 7-inch tablet isn't
really ideal for web browsing and reading IMO.
Why not just get a Transformer? Asus has always been timely with updates.

No ... they obviously don't want it for business reasons

Wrong, it doesn't have SD card for technical reasons.

Storage is kind of a disaster on Android devices with SD cards. Users have to manage apps manually. Apps with widgets must be installed on internal storage. Lots of apps don't support SD storage even though SD cards have been supported in Android for a long time. Lots of SD cards are very slow, leading to a poor experience. Apps have to be programmed to fail gracefully if the SD card is not loaded or if the user takes out the SD card while the program is in use. Media apps have to scan the SD card frequently to monitor changes.

Moving to internal storage only plus cloud simplifies so many things (unless you don't have internet access, but most people do.)

gcubed

aren't gameloft games beginning to pass 1GB in data?

possibly. If you are going to load it up with a ton of huge games the 16gb should still get you by, I dont understand Googles hatred of SD slots though, especially when they are going for super cheap

Storage is kind of a disaster on Android devices with SD cards. Users have to manage apps manually. Apps with widgets must be installed on internal storage. Lots of apps don't support SD storage even though SD cards have been supported in Android for a long time. Lots of SD cards are very slow, leading to a poor experience. Apps have to be programmed to fail gracefully if the SD card is not loaded or if the user takes out the SD card while the program is in use. Media apps have to scan the SD card frequently to monitor changes.

Moving to internal storage only plus cloud simplifies so many things (unless you don't have internet access, but most people do.)

Wrong. This hasn't been true since ICS launched.

So perhaps a dumb question - will there be a Kindle app for this thing? If so, I might be in for one. Gotta have my books, though.

Also, have hackers figured out a way to get the Amazon VOD app onto other devices...that way I can ditch my Kindle for VOD and get this bad boy.

fake edit: pre-ordered. That androidcentral preview video sold me. That thing is buttery smooth.
i thought that already worked on any device once you install the APK.

possibly. If you are going to load it up with a ton of huge games the 16gb should still get you by, I dont understand Googles hatred of SD slots though, especially when they are going for super cheap

Wrong. This hasn't been true since ICS launched.

What did ICS fix? Did ICS magically fix slow SD cards and poorly programmed apps? I have a Galaxy S with ICS hacked on and I still have to manually manage apps between internal and SD.

Raistlin

Well yeah, lots of 10-inch tablets out in the market already. This 7-inch space might be the sweet spot for Google (as it was for the Kindle fire)
That's been my contention for a while. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if forks like Kindle and Nook actually do the best. Android just hasn't been a good experience for me in tablet form. I can see more media-centric, tunnel vision designs being more popular for the masses.

but I also think a 10-inch Nexus would make sense. Price it competitively and it will probably sell.
This is likely being sold at cost (or technically at a loss when including marketing) in order to try and get people on board with Google Play. I can't see competitors being able to make a profit at this price-point.

Obviously that can't be sitting very well with OEM's, but at least it's in the least active full Android segment right now (though when you count forks, it's actually the best selling segment). Imagine what would happen if they did the same thing at 10" though? They'd basically be killing off competition in everything but the high-end 10" market (lots of memory, bells & whistles, etc) ... which thus far has already been demonstrated as a pretty low-volume affair.

This already has the potential to disrupt the main area selling well ... if they moved to 10" they'd basically be ending Android tablet as an OEM platform.

gcubed

What did ICS fix? Did ICS magically fix slow SD cards and poorly programmed apps? I have a Galaxy S with ICS hacked on and I still have to manually manage apps between internal and SD.

if you are using a Google Experience device ICS mounts the SD card as part of your internal storage. There isnt a differentiation between the two so there is no "moving" anymore. This also causes the SD card to not be able to be accessed directly and you are stuck with MTP for access.

So... yes, it magically fixed poorly programmed apps by not having to "move" them

Raistlin

Slashgear wrote the article like it happened, nice.
I missed parts of the conference due to meetings. Did Google actually make that claim? If so ... LOL @ Google.

Who said anything about apps to begin with? Also, this is JellyBean, not a hacked version of ICS running on your phone. If they haven't figured out how to do it yet, then that too is obviously on Google. It's their OS.

According to the above though, it's already in ICS devices.
Most people have internet access everywhere? Could have fooled me. This thing's pretty much dead weight outside of the house for many people.

There isnt a differentiation between the two so there is no "moving" anymore. This also causes the SD card to not be able to be accessed directly and you are stuck with MTP for access.

So... yes, it magically fixed poorly programmed apps by not having to "move" them

Wrong. MTP is for internal storage only. Removable SD cards still use USB mass storage.

ICS solves the problem of internal storage, not external storage. Before ICS OEMS would make separate partitions on internal storage for apps and media. Users would run out of space for apps even though they had space left on internal storage.

Also note that Xoom is the only Google experience device with ICS and removable SD card. I don't have a Xoom but I understand there have been tons of problems with external storage. Don't know if it's been fixed.

Is 7" really too small for browsing the web and reading? I'm honestly asking.

Websites that don't have a mobile version are poorly displayed with text that can be hard to read. Reading epub/ebook files are okay but I think comics suck on a 7 inch screen because the screen doesn't show the entire page and you have to scroll down (or sideways) or zoom-in.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I can comfortably browse the web on my 4.65 inch screen, so 7 should be even better. I find 10 inch tablets too heavy to use comfortably sometimes.

Izick

As long as I get Gaf, Facebook, and videos working greatly on this thing, it's golden it my eyes. I know that's not a lot to live up to, but I'm willing to part with 200$ for that.

njean777

trying to decide between this or an iPad. I would only get the 8gb version as I don't care about games very much and only want it as a book reader/internet browser while playing games for walkthroughs and such. I just don't know, the iPad already has a bunch of support and I already am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, but the price on this thing is really good...

sca2511

I'm using a rooted Nook Color and constantly use Comixology, PocketManga, web browse, and read on it and it's fine for me. Scrolling doesn't really bother me (I read comics/mangas in landscape) and Comixology's guided mode makes it much sweeter.

Might want to pick this up, so tempted.

Izick

trying to decide between this or an iPad. I would only get the 8gb version as I don't care about games very much and only want it as a book reader/internet browser while playing games for walkthroughs and such. I just don't know, the iPad already has a bunch of support and I already am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, but the price on this thing is really good...

Dude, that's what I'm planning on using it for as well, and I was considering an iPad, but I feel like this would definitely serve it's purpose and more for me now, and if I wanted something bigger or more intricate, the much pricier iPad could always be bought down the line.

Raistlin

Ooops, my bad! It was the Q that said micro HDMI.
DOH! :D

edit: Although in retrospect, how would they mirror the screen onto the projector easily without a HDMI output?
Dev unit? They removed it from Vita :D

Given that it wasn't advertised in one of their phones though, hopefully we can give them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise this is reaching tard pack level

rozay

Banned
Non rotating home screen? Really?
It rotates when you're connected via HDMI or using a different homescreen/launcher app.
Wrong. MTP is for internal storage only. Removable SD cards still use USB mass storage.

ICS solves the problem of internal storage, not external storage. Before ICS OEMS would make separate partitions on internal storage for apps and media. Users would run out of space for apps even though they had space left on internal storage.

Also note that Xoom is the only Google experience device with ICS and removable SD card. I don't have a Xoom but I understand there have been tons of problems with external storage. Don't know if it's been fixed.
Regardless, you won't be having issues with running out of space for messages/apps on a device that launched with 4.0 and above.

also damn at the NTFS support. gamechanger for me

njean777

Dude, that's what I'm planning on using it for as well, and I was considering an iPad, but I feel like this would definitely serve it's purpose and more for me now, and if I wanted something bigger or more intricate, the much pricier iPad could always be bought down the line.

True but I do have apps that work on both iPad and iPhone already like iPhoto, pages, keynote, and some games. I guess I will stay with apple for now. I will be watching this item though.

gcubed

google does not officially support usb mass storage mode anymore, thats added by ROM makers. My experience is with the Xoom, as you said, its the only google experience device with an sd card slot

Izick

True but I do have apps that work on both iPad and iPhone already like iPhoto, pages, keynote, and some games. I guess I will stay with apple for now. I will be watching this item though.

Oh, you have an iPhone? If that's the case then I would totally agree on getting an iPad instead.

njean777

Oh, you have an iPhone? If that's the case then I would totally agree on getting an iPad instead.

Yeah I have an iPhone, I am sure my friend will get one of these since he is a android fanboy. Its funny we are fanboys of different companies, but we get along. I do think the surface and this though are really interesting.

Izick

Yeah I have an iPhone, I am sure my friend will get one of these since he is a android fanboy. Its funny we are fanboys of different companies, but we get along. I do think the surface and this though are really interesting.

The surface looks very intriguing to me as well. I really am excited to see how Google and Microsft push each other, and in the process push Apple as well into all creating better tablets. They all seem to cater to different markets as well, while still all looking like quality products, which is also nice.

Rendition

Are any of you guys excited about the Tegra 3 chip in this tablet seems like the two games that were demoed live during the presentation looked pretty good. First person shooters. If they could get one of those Bluetooth game controllers this can make a pretty sweet gaming deal and a decent competitor to the PlayStation VIta and the Nintendo 3DS.

LobLob

Banned
Why why why do tablet makers not include an SD slot? It is a deal breaker for me. Let me decide on what kind of ultimate storage capacity i want. Not telling me 8gb or 16gb is enough. If i ever get a tablet it will become a media hub for me and 8gb or 16gb is not enough.

Izick

Are any of you guys excited about the Tegra 3 chip in this tablet seems like the two games that were demoed live during the presentation looked pretty good. First person shooters. If they could get one of those Bluetooth game controllers this can make a pretty sweet gaming deal and a decent competitor to the PlayStation VIta and the Nintendo 3DS.

The idea of playing games on this seem like a nice bonus, but I'm not even really interested in playing stuff like that. Things like Magic 2013 and other games that benefit from touch interface are what intrigue me, sadly I don't think Magic is out for Android though.

With that said, those types of games, if good, will be a very, very nice bonus indeed.

Raistlin

I don't see how using a game controller with it makes it a competitor for Vita/3DS. Very different use-case. Without integrated controls, it's really not the same type of device.

As far as graphics, Tegra 3 is pretty decent (though not quite iPad level). The biggest problem is really userbase. Big games hit iPad because there's tons of people that own it and it's a known hardware spec. Android tablets haven't sold nearly as well in general, and the number that are running Tegra 3-class hardware is quite tiny. To get a lot of high performance tablet games on Android, this unit is going to have to sell A LOT.

Why why why do tablet makers not include an SD slot? It is a deal breaker for me. Let me decide on what kind of ultimate storage capacity i want. Not telling me 8gb or 16gb is enough. If i ever get a tablet it will become a media hub for me and 8gb or 16gb is not enough.
Might want to look into Surface.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Might want to look into Surface.

GotFl.gif

Or he could look into any of the other fine Android tablets, since he's posting in an Android tablet thread.

GotFl.gif

Or he could look into any of the other fine Android tablets, since he's posting in an Android tablet thread.

Or he could look into the Surface since it's pretty damn impressive and despite posting in an Android thread, he didn't mention Android being of any particular interest to him.

I don't really have anything against Android tablets, but if you're in the market and are able to wait, I think it's pretty foolish not to see how Surface shakes out.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
How much will the surface cost? Will it be this cheap? Not as cheap and packed as this I think.

With a little know-how, you can get NTFS, USB External Storage (HDD, MICROSD ADAPTER), and HDMI running in no time (I suggest waiting for dock, instead of routing).

And since the USB external storage isn't locked, there's nothing to cry about.

http://www.pandawill.com/usb-2-0-female-to-micro-usb-male-adapter-converter.html

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-USB-4-PO...s&hash=item231f279bd2&clk_rvr_id=359322273875

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Card-Rea...s&hash=item33782db61d&clk_rvr_id=359323758529

Do it son, all under $3, hook anything up to it.

The specs on the machine blow the Ipad 3 out of the water. No competition. Well maybe in install base because of hipsters, but spec-wise, T3GRA Nexus 7 wins.

New NTFS support: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/full-ntfs-readwrite-support-for-android/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Or he could look into the Surface since it's pretty damn impressive and despite posting in an Android thread, he didn't mention Android being of any particular interest to him.

I don't really have anything against Android tablets, but if you're in the market and are able to wait, I think it's pretty foolish not to see how Surface shakes out.

I just think, if he was interested in the N7 and the SD card was the only dealbreaker, he's probably looking for something cheaper than the Surface and either doesn't mind if it runs Android or that's a feature he actively wants. Surface fails on both counts.

Vyer

How are the tablet apps looking in Android these days? May get one of these for a second tablet in the house for the family.

7" will probably be just fine unless you spend time with a 10" tablet. But certainly not 'bad' if you're used to browsing on your phone.

Raistlin

GotFl.gif

GotFl.gif

The salt ... it burns.

I reference Surface because he gave no indication of Android being requisite, and it offers SD and full-size USB ... something I'm not aware of being on any popular Android tablets without a dock.

I'll make sure to not make tech comments or offer advice to those asking for it in the future. Oh wait ... I will.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Isn't the Tegra the GPU and the 12th core the CPU?

Tegra might be the GPU but they definitely said it was the GPU that has 12 cores.

GotFl.gif

The salt ... it burns.

I reference Surface because he gave no indication if Android being a requisite, and it offers SD and full-size USB ... something I'm not aware of being on any popular Android tablets without a dock.

It's also like four times the price for the non-gimped version.

Hoo-doo

Banned
How are the tablet apps looking in Android these days? May get one of these for a second tablet in the house for the family.

7" will probably be just fine unless you spend time with a 10" tablet. But certainly not 'bad' if you're used to browsing on your phone.

If i'm going to use a tablet at home though, 7 inches is really damn tiny.
It's indeed like browsing on a phone, a decidedly mediocre experience compared to the "real thing".

Most people I know who owned a fire ended up rarely using the thing because they have laptops and proper desktops at home.
7 inch is the ideal travel size though, and that's why it's a little baffling they didn't add a 3G / 4G chip.

Al-ibn Kermit

Isn't the Tegra the GPU and the 12th core the CPU?

On mobile devices, their chips contains both a CPU and a GPU. The Tegra 3 has a CPU which has 4 cores and the GPU has 12 cores.

Number of cores is largely meaningless but the Tegra 3 chip is considered a high-end chip. I think it's CPU is more powerful than the iPad3 but its GPU is weaker for comparison.

Top Bottom