• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

rozay

Banned
Review photos I take with my SLR. Watch video sometimes but rarely.
I'm assuming you use a microSD in you SLR. Never thought about doing that, but even then I think I'd rather just use usb host than fiddling with SD cards.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just got in, any video of the conference available?

Specs look good for the price although 7" is too small for for a non 3g device.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
WESVu.jpg

Damn that's pretty.

The Note has been around for a while dude.

Wait, is that not?

NomarTyme

Asus is releasing the Memo 370T later this year. Same specs as this, basically the exact same thing as this for $250 with 16 GB internal but a camera on the back and a HDMI out and SD Card slot as well.

asus-eeepad-memo-370t.jpg

image27.jpg

Got approved by the FCC last month it seems, so should be out soon.

sweet

Raistlin

For me personally, I'm not sure I can see myself getting one. It doesn't really have any features over what other Jelly Bean tablets will have does it?

Basically it, like the Q, are purposely gimped in a move to get people entrenched into the Google Play ecosystem. While I get it from a business standpoint, it's a very 'Apple' move ... and not a direction I want (or expected) to see Google go into.

People have been complaining about MS supposedly doing that with Surface ... this actually looks to be a further move in that direction, particularly if they pull the plug on GoogleTV.

kehs

Banned
For me personally, I'm not sure I can see myself getting one. It doesn't really have any features over what other Jelly Bean tablets will have does it?

Basically it, like the Q, are purposely gimped in a move to get people entrenched into the Google Play ecosystem. While I get it from a business standpoint, it's a very 'Apple' move ... and not a direction I want (or expected) to see Google go into.

People have been complaining about MS supposedly doing that with Surface ... this actually looks to be a further move in that direction, particularly if they pull the plug on GoogleTV.

You get $25 from Google, so it's really a $175 if you buy alot of stuff from the Play Store.

Lynn616

What is gimped on the Q and nexus 7?

Cheebo

Banned

No hdmi out, not sd card slot (both are on the vast majority of similarly priced android tablets). Meaning with the very limited storage space you have to rely on streaming from google play for almost all of your media.

Not to mention Google blocks the USB Hub feature on Nexus devices despite being a feature of ICS (and Jelly Bean) without hacking.

Izick

Isn't the lack of size in memory and SD slots really due to the fact that they're trying to keep everything in the cloud ecosystem they've set up? I mean, that and it's cheaper to have less, and thus makes the tablet cheaper.

rozay

Banned
Isn't the lack of size in memory and SD slots really due to the fact that they're trying to keep everything in the cloud ecosystem they've set up? I mean, that and it's cheaper to have less, and thus makes the tablet cheaper.
yeah this is what raistlin and others are getting at

Cheebo

Banned

It isn't a cost thing. SD Card slots are extremely cheap. They are even in the super cheap low end android tablets that cost closer to $100. It's all about locking people into the cloud google play service. Which is very Appley.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I like it. I will be waiting to see what the fire 2 offers, but leaning on picking this up. Can't wait.

kehs

Banned
No hdmi out, not sd card slot (both are on the vast majority of similarly priced android tablets). Meaning with the very limited storage space you have to rely on streaming from google play for almost all of your media.

Not to mention Google blocks the USB Hub feature on Nexus devices despite being a feature of ICS (and Jelly Bean) without hacking.

They just added the ability to recognize external storage at the OS level, so it's probably going to be part of the OTA for 4.1.

SUPREME1

Banned

Except it's not a comparison to begin with. You are reading too much into one-off statements to the press.

• More powerful SoC - OMAP4460 (dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX540 graphics core). Apple TV 3 uses an A5R2 variant (single-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and SGX543 with an unknown active core count). Roku 2 XS uses a Broadcom BCM2835 (ARM11 core with Broadcom’s VideoCore co-processor).

• More memory - 1GB LPDDR RAM, 16GB NAND flash memory. Apple 3 TV has 512 MB LPDDR2 RAM, 8 GB NAND flash memory. Roku 2 XS has 256MB DDR2 DRAM, 256 MB flash memory.

• More complex form-factor in materials and design, including extras like 32 perimeter LEDs, etc

• NFC

• Relatively complex on-board controls (rotating top dome volume control and capacitive touch sensor for mute on/off)

• 25W class D amplifier with banana plug outputs

• 1st generation product produced in limited quantities

I'm sure Chinese labor could make it cost a bit less, but certainly not anywhere near what it's being compared to. It's simply more advanced HW with more features - it is not in the same tier. So even assuming large-scale production in China, this will never have a BOM like Apple TV or Roku.

The point is, there really isn't anything to even compare it to. There isn't a similarly speced product out there in mass production in China to get a price from.

Fix your face. It's an ugly mug

Great stuff.

He means he wants all his own files, stored on his own drives, and compressed with his favorite codecs.

Look, guys, I know it feels weird to stream all your entertainment, but it really is the future. Collecting and ripping Blu-Rays or their successor will probably still be around for hobbyists but don't expect major manufacturers to cater to your specific needs.

Most of us are ready to embrace an all streaming future.

Really dude? REALLY?!? It works perfectly fine on my Nexus and I can almost guarantee it will work on this device. Don't be so hyberbolic.

I think this is a great impulse buy. I also think a 7 inch tablet is great for consuming content on the go. Especially if it's an HD one. More so than a 10 inch tablet. Most sites will convert to mobile on a 7 inch tablet whereas 10 inch tablets sometimes will still display the desktop version.

This and a Surface Pro will make my laptop obsolete.

dwebo

He means he wants all his own files, stored on his own drives, and compressed with his favorite codecs.

Look, guys, I know it feels weird to stream all your entertainment, but it really is the future. Collecting and ripping Blu-Rays or their successor will probably still be around for hobbyists but don't expect major manufacturers to cater to your specific needs.

*citation needed

Dizzan

MINI Member

I'm all for the stream and this will work great around the house (although why did they leave Google TV off this??? At least the other boxes can do Onlive etc), my only gripe is that when you are on the road/bus/holiday/aeroplane etc, what do you do then?

Plus price man. OUCH!

Izick

Really dude? REALLY?!? It works perfectly fine on my Nexus and I can almost guarantee it will work on this device. Don't be so hyberbolic.

I think this is a great impulse buy. I also think a 7 inch tablet is great for consuming content on the go. Especially if it's an HD one. More so than a 10 inch tablet. Most sites will convert to mobile on a 7 inch tablet whereas 10 inch tablets sometimes will still display the desktop version.

This and a Surface Pro will make my laptop obsolete.

Yeah, I've never been a PC gamer, so I'm really excited to move on to smaller devices that do just as much, if not better, and at a cheaper price than my laptop.

Plus, it helps that I like the Google ecosystem. Sadly, I wish I knew more people who uses Google +.

Lynn616

Can I not stream my rips to the Q or load and play them on the Nexus 7?

So... Nearly perfect tablet. Nearly. Even pricing is great. Tegra 3, great graphics performance, perfect as I want to do gaming on a tablet, and not on my 4' Nexus S, despite it performing very well. Future proof being a quad-core CPU, and having one of the best GPUs around, and optimizations for quite a lot of games.

But... 16GB... And no Micro SD card slot. 16GB with Gameloft games being 1GB+ and many more following suit lately just makes 16GB so little for gaming.

Phone-like UI. I always liked the HC/ICS tablet interface, and I was looking forward to experiencing it with 4.1 in this tablet. Yet it's the same 'regular' phone UI. Kinda of a waste?

Will you be able to switch between UIs? What's the chance ROMs will be made with 4.1 that will instead use the tablet UI?

Apart from this, freaking perfect.

Sean

Banned

Streaming is great but not something you can depend on all the time. If you don't have an internet connection, or if their servers are suffering an outage or whatever, no access to your media.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google's goal with the Q is to make people think Google TV is a much better product than it otherwise is. GENIUS

Well, at least it's nice to know that Google recognises that there's people who wants their products outside the US. Sure, they're only dealing with the UK, but it's a start.

From a UK perspective (8Gb is £160, 16Gb is £200), I can see this doing some real sales on the Android tablet market. Hopefully it'll get the other manufacturers to raise their game (and maybe get Amazon to release the Kindle Fire over here). Granted, lack of an SD card is definitely a bummer, and personally I don't have much use for a tablet, but still. I think this will prove to be popular.

Asus is releasing the Memo 370T later this year. Same specs as this, basically the exact same thing as this for $250 with 16 GB internal but a camera on the back and a HDMI out and SD Card slot as well.

Oh really? I thought that got canned once they partnered with Google for the N7. Good to hear it hasnt, thanks for pointing that out!

I wish I knew more people who uses Google +.

I hear ya :-(

bede-x

I already have an iPad but jailbreaking iOS devices while wanting to keep up with OS updates is a pain in the ass. This is kinda tempting as a secondary device, and to have access to Android apps in general.

That's how I see it as well. While I already have an iPad, I'd still like to have access to Android apps and this looks mighty tempting. A shame that the bezel is so big, but I'm still gonna buy.

NZer

Interesting that in terms of price/features for tablets, the big 3 seem to have separated themselves into low/mid/top tiers, i.e. This/iPad/Surface

Izick

Interesting that in terms of price/features for tablets, the big 3 seem to have separated themselves into low/mid/top tiers, i.e. This/iPad/Surface

I thought the Surface was going to be more affordable. Could be wrong though.

I thought the Surface was going to be more affordable. Could be wrong though.

Highly unlikely, going by the fact that a) Microsoft never mentioned a price and b) it's blatantly obvious they're gunning for the iPad's spot as the premium tablet.

Yeah, I just can't believe they did this. Its the reason I never bought a Kindle Fire either. I don't get it, but their Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD card slot either, right? I don't get it.

Neither does the Nexus S, my device. But 16GB for this phone is a lot I'd say. But for a tablet... I'd want at least 32GB. Even if it was 16 + 16.

Yeah, I just can't believe they did this. Its the reason I never bought a Kindle Fire either. I don't get it, but their Galaxy Nexus doesn't have an SD card slot either, right? I don't get it.

It's pretty obvious Google is pushing everything towards the cloud.

I've embraced it. I uploaded all my music and use dropbox with random files, apks, pictures etc.

Then again I only have about 4000 songs and no videos at all, so I ain't mad.

Neither does the Nexus S, my device. But 16GB for this phone is a lot I'd say. But for a tablet... I'd want at least 32GB. Even if it was 16 + 16.

I've had my Nexus S for about 8 or 9 months... I just checked, I've used about 300MB out of .. 13.3GB available?

Though, it's a different usage model I would think.

Mindwipe

I'm very interested. I don't really like any of the tablet options at the moment - Android had never offered a good high end tablet without fragmentation, I hate iOS's censorship model, Windows RT's censorship model is nearly as bad, and while the Intel Surface looks great, it seems like it needs one more hardware revision by Intel to really kick ass.

So I might be in the market for a dirt cheap short term solution. And hey ho. This is dirt cheap. And sold in the UK. And looks pretty good for the money, and will get native Google Android updates.

massoluk

Banned

asus-eeepad-memo-370t.jpg

image27.jpg

NICE....

Never before have I had so much buyer's remorse buying Prime. Will sell it to buy this (me prefer a smaller size tablet).

giga

I want to preorder this but I need to handle it first at a local shop. If only there wasn't a 15% restocking fee on the store.
LLShC.gif

Top Bottom