• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Sanjuro

How could one not be annoyed when people who not only ordered a week after you, but simply walked into a store got it before you? I would be annoyed.

I didn't purchase the tablet from Google to be the "first person to get it". Stores often get products early anyway, so that's not really an issue for me. One of my co-workers picked one up and I played with it during one of my shifts this weekend.

I'm getting mine tomorrow. No tears shed.

the delusion is overwhelming

google should have done a better job. Almost everyone agrees. The fact that you so staunchly disagree is staggering to me personally. Mindblowing. Even people that got theirs in a timely fashion agree. Even people who bought theirs in stores agree.

But I guess there always has to be someone fighting the good fight.

I'm not fighting any fight, I'm just not acting like a bratty child.

Oh, missed the "the" in there. Carry on with the thrashing

=P
iEzI6FwTOsSva.gif

the thrashing is over

Cipherr

It came out Friday. It should be at everyone who preordered on the first shipments door that Friday.

It came out officially yesterday, not Friday. Retailers who sold early and were then told to stop doing so by Google != official release date.

And no, people who pre-ordered with "2 day delivery" are not guaranteed "Release day delivery". Those are two very separate shipping speeds and promises.

Again, IMO the big issue here was allowing people to pre-order an item that you dont have a firm release date for. Thats just bad form. I know Gamestops do that shit for newly announced games, but even thats tacky as hell to me. And furthermore, in those cases, thats Gamestop doing the pre-orders, its not Activision directly selling you a preorder when they dont even have a ship date.

Google fucked this up by offering direct preorders from the source while seemingly having no actual hard release date. What they should have done was say "Orders for the Nexus 7 will be available in Mid July", and then offered zero pre-orders. Once you have peoples money, they have a right to be quite pissed that you are throwing darts at a calender to select a release date lol.

MercuryLS

Banned
Did reviewers even try out apps? The dashboard is smooth, but man, just about every app I try has some intermittent lag constantly. I'm really unimpressed, at first I thought it was the developers fault, but I've seen it over and over again in just about every game that I've played. I'm I the only one that notices this?

I love just about everything about the Nexus 7, but this is really driving me batty...it may just push me to return the thing. I expected faultless performance from all the JB hype, it isn't quite there yet.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Did reviewers even try out apps? The dashboard is smooth, but man, just about every app I try has some intermittent lag constantly. I'm really unimpressed, at first I thought it was the developers fault, but I've seen it over and over again in just about every game that I've played. I'm I the only one that notices this?

I love just about everything about the Nexus 7, but this is really driving me batty...it may just push me to return the thing. I expected faultless performance from all the JB hype, it isn't quite there yet.

What games are you playing? I've only played Canabalt which seems smooth. Maybe it's the more graphically intensive ones?

Mairu

So where do people suggest getting a Nexus 7 now? I put an order in for one yesterday
after having to call my stupid credit card bank to approve the purchase
but I'm wondering whether I should have gone the retail route instead of through Google. Gamestop didn't really seem like an option as all the locations around me were saying they only had enough for preorders and I dislike Gamestop so I didn't want to preorder through them.

MercuryLS

Banned
What games are you playing? I've only played Canabalt which seems smooth. Maybe it's the more graphically intensive ones?

Major Mayhem, World of Goo, Fruit Ninja. Not exactly games that push the envelope. I'm honestly starting to think that its an OS-level issue, cause I see it everywhere. Basically the games will be smooth for a few seconds, then there is a small pause, then it smooths out again. It happens constantly throughout just about every title, it's more noticeable in faster paced games, something like WoG, it's easy to miss.

At first I thought that maybe I was imagining things, but when I play the same titles on iOS the issue isn't there. So there's definitely something weird going on here. Oh yeah, I also tried Metal Slug 3 and it was there too, had to get a refund immediately cause it totally ruins the experience.

Divvy

Major Mayhem, World of Goo, Fruit Ninja. Not exactly games that push the envelope. I'm honestly starting to think that its an OS-level issue, cause I see it everywhere. Basically the games will be smooth for a few seconds, then there is a small pause, then it smooths out again. It happens constantly throughout just about every title, it's more noticeable in faster paced games, something like WoG, it's easy to miss.

I'll download WoG to see if I have the same issue.

D-Back

I noticed this as well. Believe it or not, but words with friends was one of the worst offenders. I also noticed that netflix had issues with buffering and stalling, issues that I was not able to replicate on other devices.

DarkFlow

Banned
me neither. But here are facts:

- I pre-ordered early + paid high shipping cost
- got it later than everyone else, including people who ordered way after me
- got it the week after it came out

Google could have offered better communication, I think just about everyone agrees on that. And to think there are some people sitting out there still waiting. Not good at all. Rather than offering google no faults, I place blame where it should be. Never blame consumers. Number one mistake you can do. And if google is doing that like you are? then they should feel more ashamed of themselves. It was just a messy experience. The thing literally launched in stores with zero release date. Ridiculous for a major product from a major company. But I digress.

You can order from them all you want. I've learned my lesson. As have many others who feel the same.
Your getting it less then a week after it came out. Also a pre order is only a promise that you'll get one, not that you get it the day of. You're freaking out over you being impatient.

Divvy

At first I thought that maybe I was imagining things, but when I play the same titles on iOS the issue isn't there. So there's definitely something weird going on here. Oh yeah, I also tried Metal Slug 3 and it was there too, had to get a refund immediately cause it totally ruins the experience.

Hmmm well I just played five levels of WoG and I didn't encounter any frame rate issues. Did you install the two OS updates?

EDIT: Fruit Ninja doesn't want to open since it keeps trying to load Feint.

MercuryLS

Banned
Hmmm well I just played five levels of WoG and I didn't encounter any frame rate issues. Did you install the two OS updates?

EDIT: Fruit Ninja doesn't want to open since it keeps trying to load Feint.

Yeah I installed the two OS updates. Try Major Mayhem, it's free. It's really noticeable there because you're constantly tracking enemies and shooting them. You'll see the pauses throughout the game and even the intro/outro to each level. It's really annoying.

Divvy

Yeah I installed the two OS updates. Try Major Mayhem, it's free. It's really noticeable there because you're constantly tracking enemies and shooting them. You'll see the pauses throughout the game and even the intro/outro to each level. It's really annoying.

How long are these pauses? I am really not seeing any. The only ones I see are a tiny hiccup when he jumps off the helicopter at the intro to each level. Have you tried rebooting the tablet?

MercuryLS

Banned
How long are these pauses? I am really not seeing any. The only ones I see are a tiny hiccup when he jumps off the helicopter at the intro to each level. Have you tried rebooting the tablet?

Yeah I did, that same hiccup happens throughout the game for me. It's intermittent and easy to miss at first. Maybe there's something wrong with my machine? Or maybe I'm just super sensitive to these things.

Divvy

Yeah I did, that same hiccup happens throughout the game for me. Maybe there's something wrong with my machine? Or maybe I'm just super sensitive to these things.

I'm not sure. I'm an animator so it's actually part of my job to notice issues with animation and smoothness so I don't think mine has this issue, but I'm not discounting the possibility.

Maybe try a factory restore?

So far I lobe everything but the washed out screen.

Staples has some layinG around so your best bet is to Just call local stores and see what they hVe

adroit

I thought the YouTube videos of the units given out at I/O looked pretty good. Is there a possibility that the mass-production units use an inferior display? Or are the YouTube videos just misleading due to lighting or whatever? I haven't seen any version of the Nexus 7 in person yet so I'm just asking. Don't want to start any rumors based on no first-hand experience whatsoever.

I thought the YouTube videos of the units given out at I/O looked pretty good. Is there a possibility that the mass-production units use an inferior display? Or are the YouTube videos just misleading due to lighting or whatever? I haven't seen any version of the Nexus 7 in person yet so I'm just asking. Don't want to start any rumors based on no first-hand experience whatsoever.

I've seen it on all 3 I've seen today. I going to wait until to,or roe and see how the ones from Google look. Mine also has uneven backlighting near the top of the screen.

These are my only gripes with the nexus 7, otherwise it's been awesome.

Ydahs

Package is now 'in transit' in ALEXANDRIA AU, but it's listed as 'Package available for clearance'. Not sure what this all means, but it's in the country so hopefully it arrives tomorrow :D

Phoenix

It came out officially yesterday, not Friday. Retailers who sold early and were then told to stop doing so by Google != official release date.

And no, people who pre-ordered with "2 day delivery" are not guaranteed "Release day delivery". Those are two very separate shipping speeds and promises.

Google didn't really offer a "release day delivery". They just put shipping on your order and that was pretty much it. The product officially came out on Monday and many... MANY folks with preorders will be lucky to see them this week. Its not a shipping thing - I ordered a replacement Google Nexus for development on the same day and it came yesterday without issue while other orders for Nexus 7s still haven't even been charged.

Again, IMO the big issue here was allowing people to pre-order an item that you dont have a firm release date for. Thats just bad form. I know Gamestops do that shit for newly announced games, but even thats tacky as hell to me. And furthermore, in those cases, thats Gamestop doing the pre-orders, its not Activision directly selling you a preorder when they dont even have a ship date.

What Google did that was tacky was to ship into the inventory stream a lot of retail product while not being able to handle the large number of people who weren't ordering at retail. Google made a strategy call and decided that it was more important to satisfy their retail channel partners than their online customers.

Google fucked this up by offering direct preorders from the source while seemingly having no actual hard release date. What they should have done was say "Orders for the Nexus 7 will be available in Mid July", and then offered zero pre-orders. Once you have peoples money, they have a right to be quite pissed that you are throwing darts at a calender to select a release date lol.

They don't really have anyone's money, but what they screwed up is that the poorly conceived, implemented, and managed Google Play store doesn't have the ability for people to actually CANCEL an order or get competent order status. Google Play is an abomination of EPIC FAIL.

mil6es

UK here, funds have been put into a pending state again, guess they are ready to pull the trigger then, end of the week hopefully

i've seen someone at xda (the melt-down is pretty funny there), who had a tracking from tnt for an 8gig.

There's also a guy on Phandroid's forums claiming that his randomly turned up with no shipping info too, he posted an image but that could be a delayed ebuyer order. He claims it was ordered from Play, it's making me tempted to nip home on my lunch now.

Someone on Xda is also now claiming that their girlfriend rang to say he had a missed TNT delivery.

Seriously, if they're shipping these without tracking info then it's a royal fuck up.

Top Bottom