• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

I'm running Mame on mine with a Bluetooth controller connected to my nexus 7. No issues other than the small screen. This is where I miss the HDMI connection and / or dock.

Beautiful. I don't want to bother you with supplying all the details, I can find them out for myself, but did you have to root for this to be possible? I'm guessing your rooted anyway, which is probably what I'll do.

Samus4145

What's the best place to order from right now? The Google store?

35iuf8.jpg

Hmm..

SuperPac

Got mine!

First reaction - wow the box was smaller that I thought it'd be. The interface/touch typing is great. I love the textured/faux-leather back. And unlike iOS where the device starts from zero this feels like a PC with a buncha preinstalled stuff on it that I have to remove/customize to my liking. Not saying that that's a bad thing, just that it's the first impression.

Chili

My Nexus 7 8GB has finally shipped (to the UK) from Google, more than five days after them saying it couldn't be cancelled because it was too late (number not yet tracking on TNT). Going to call TNT and tell them to return it to Google and not even bother delivering it.

smr00

Banned
anyone have pictures or video of how comic reading is on it? i don't mean through comixology or whatever, i mean with other programs that use CBZ/CBR.

My Nexus 7 8GB has finally shipped (to the UK) from Google, more than five days after them saying it couldn't be cancelled because it was too late (number not yet tracking on TNT). Going to call TNT and tell them to return it to Google and not even bother delivering it.

Brilliant!

I'm waiting to do the same, or do worse: sell the extra Nexus 7 for a hundred bucks over list on ebay. Then take it to UPS to refuse delivery. Not sure it would fetch that amount but the demand is pretty crazy.

Salaadin

Ive never wanted to get rid of 278 bucks more than I do now. Take my money, googy. Its waiting for you!

Good to see more people getting theirs though. Im happy for you all!

MercuryLS

Banned
My issues with Intermittent lag is gone. I did a full factory restore and the lag is gone. I have no issues with the nexus 7 now.

Really weird. If anyone has bits of lag in apps and games do a full restore and see if it works for you.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My issues with Intermittent lag is gone. I did a full factory restore and the lag is gone. I have no issues with the nexus 7 now.

Really weird. If anyone has bits of lag in apps and games do a full restore and see if it works for you.

Ah that's good to hear. I wonder why that happened.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ah that's good to hear. I wonder why that happened.

I actually went to go return the device and he guy there couldn't recreate my issue after the restore. So I said I would keep it and give it another shot. When I brought it home and redownloaded various Apps, the issues were gone. I guess the project butter hype was justified, this thing is super smooth now :)

Emily Chu

Banned
I might just be the last person on GAF to get this in hand who also ordered this on the day it was announced.

first one in last one out.... oh boy....

I was very lazy in ordering in this, just walked over to gamestop on a the week of on a idle wednesday put 50$ down and then they sent me a text to pick it up on friday am

luck of the drawn I guess...

Mine arrived about an hour ago. i have to say that the box threw me off, it seemed to small so I thought it was something else. This also after demo'ing one yesterday, go figure. I guess Google changed their packaging because mine had clearly visible black tape and opened in a about 3 seconds as opposed to those spastic unboxing videos.

SimleuqiR

I actually went to go return the device and he guy there couldn't recreate my issue after the restore. So I said I would keep it and give it another shot. When I brought it home and redownloaded various Apps, the issues were gone. I guess the project butter hype was justified, this thing is super smooth now :)

You giving credit to the wrong project. I think Google Now knew you were going to return the unit, and fixed the device for you. Google Now keeps blowing my mind!

Blackface

Banned
Canadians who ordered from Staples on the 5th of July, are all getting their Nexus 7 today. With the $25 Google Play credit, and free shipping.

Canadians who ordered their Nexus 7 in June from Google, have not heard a word since. After paying for two day shipping, those that have gotten e-mails, say their item is being sent from Kentucky, and will arrive in FOUR days. They are also not allowed to cancel the order, even if it has not been shipped or charged.

DAT Google customer service.

e_i

Question to those who got theirs from the Play store...did you get yours linked to your account, or chose not to?

SuperPac

Mine arrived about an hour ago. i have to say that the box threw me off, it seemed to small so I thought it was something else. This also after demo'ing one yesterday, go figure. I guess Google changed their packaging because mine had clearly visible black tape and opened in a about 3 seconds as opposed to those spastic unboxing videos.

Mine had the black tape but it wasn't hard to open at all.

So, those who have received theirs...had a chance to play any games on it yet?

Still waiting on mine, card hasn't been charged yet either. :/

DagsJT

Just sent to Google:

I would like to express my dissatisfaction at the customer service, or lack of, that I have experienced in ordering my Nexus 7.

With a lack of any specific release date to be given, I am left in limbo with no clue when my 16GB Nexus 7 order will ever be noticed by Google. In the meantime, people ordering from eBuyer and Curry's are receiving their tablets already.

I would request that I be refunded my shipping charge as I could have ordered from other stores and had free delivery as well as already receiving the item, but this is pointless as I STILL haven't had a charge on my account nevermind any shipping information.

When my Nexus 7 is eventually sent, I expect not to be charged for shipping and would also like to request an email address to register an official complaint at how this ordering process has been carried out.

I would also like to know why the USA and Australia orders expect to ALL be sent out today (as per Google) whilst the UK and Canada are only just starting to ship? Considering the population of the USA, is it really that hard to fulfil, what I would imagine, is quite a lot less orders from a tiny area such as the UK?

Why exactly have the USA had preferential treatment whereas the UK is treated with disregard?

This has been a disaster in terms of PR and I will never use Google Play for ordering hardware again. I'd rather order from a different retailer, not pay shipping and get my device earlier. As it is, I've been penalised for actually daring to order direct.

Ordering from Google has just been a nightmare, should've just waited and used eBuyer. No shipping and would've had it by now.

dwebo

Call your local Staples! They should all have a few in stock, but they are only 16 GB. Do it soon!

called my nearest staples - the tech lady said they had none and didn't know when they were getting any either

edit: also cancelled my j&r order, so on the off chance anyone here was lower on the queue than me, you've moved up a slot!

Salaadin

Staples.com is showing "low stock" nearby.

Should I?

How much of a pain is it going to be to return the one google may or may not eventually kinda ship to me, maybe?

I've been Enjoying the tablet since receiving it, but there are a couple of annoying things coming from iOS. I wish there was a tap status bar to scroll up, and I haven't found a good browser yet. I like using Maven on iPhone but it doesn't exist in the Google store. I guess coming from the app store, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Google stores selections. Other than that, its a damned nice Device. Currently thinking of dlng some comics from comixology. Does anyone know if Morning Glories is good? The artwork and storyline appeal To me. Dled the first issue of Chew for free and that one seems really good

SuperPac

I've been Enjoying the tablet since receiving it, but there are a couple of annoying things coming from iOS. I wish there was a tap status bar to scroll up, and I haven't found a good browser yet. I like using Maven on iPhone but it doesn't exist in the Google store. I guess coming from the app store, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Google stores selections. Other than that, its a damned nice Device. Currently thinking of dlng some comics from comixology. Does anyone know if Morning Glories is good? The artwork and storyline appeal To me. Dled the first issue of Chew for free and that one seems really good

Yeah, is there a shortcut to scroll to the top of a page in Chrome?

Most of the widgets I'm seeing seem made for phone-size screens and don't go all the way across on the N7. :\

Yeah, is there a shortcut to scroll to the top of a page in Chrome?

Most of the widgets I'm seeing seem made for phone-size screens and don't go all the way across on the N7. :
Tried searching Google the other day but to no avail. Its almost as if apple has patented that api, kinda like how when you hold to select on iOS it zooms in on the text. I miss stuff like that, its subtle but you miss it when its gone

I see that Dolphin has gestures but you have to press a button to activate them which is annoying. Are there any browsers that support multi touch gestures for navigating the web?

adroit

Just got mine (from Google Play store, ordered June 27). Much to my relief, it has none of the problems some people have reported with theirs. Display intensity is uniform, colors look fine (looks the same as the YouTube videos of the I/O units), etc. Haven't tried music but I'm not going to be playing music or video on this thing so I really don't care about the quality of the speaker.

Phew. I am a happy camper. Glad I didn't get a defective one.

Hmmm, I might still jump on it. Is there any way to use DLNA as a desktop view on another device? Or is it only for streaming files?

Record it! You know you pretty much have to at this point.
I can't find any info on display mirroring. I did read that WiFi mirroring isn't supported by tegra 3 or something, so it seems relegated to streaming until someone perhaps cooks something up

Cipherr

Google Now is sort of shockingly good. I still dont see myself using it outside of when I am driving, but man it is seriously impressive. Fast, and its accuracy is pretty fucking mind blowing.

Voice recognition is still niche IMO, but it is funny speaking out extremely long duration math equations and having it return an answer to you without having to bang out the numbers on the calculator app.

Google Now is sort of shockingly good. I still dont see myself using it outside of when I am driving, but man it is seriously impressive. Fast, and its accuracy is pretty fucking mind blowing.

Voice recognition is still niche IMO, but it is funny speaking out extremely long duration math equations and having it return an answer to you without having to bang out the numbers on the calculator app.

Google Now allows you to do that? Mind blown

Cipherr

Google Now allows you to do that? Mind blown

Yeah I was just thinking about what to test it out with. So I tried a short one. Then I started trying some stupidly long ones just rambling off the top of my head, and it would dictate the problem out on screen in text, then show the problem numerically and speak the answer. lol funny stuff.

I did manage to trip it up and have it send me to google a few times though with some freaky 30 second long math problems.

BFIB

Hmmm, I might still jump on it. Is there any way to use DLNA as a desktop view on another device? Or is it only for streaming files?

Record it! You know you pretty much have to at this point.

Shoot, I wish I would have. I'm on a bridge call at work, so I just opened it to start charging and do the update.

Initial thoughts:

-Screen looks great. Colors aren't as vibrant as other IPS panels, but it looks good. Kind of reminds me of the screen color difference when I went from my iphone 3G to my 4. Iphone 3G had more of a "cooler" look while my 4 seemed "warmer". Comparing it to my Kindle Fire, its night and day when it comes to magazines and the text quality.

-Build is decent. I'm not expecting iPad level, but for $250, its surprisingly solid. No creaks, light bleed that I see, but I haven't really got to dig in yet.

-UI is fast. Really fast. Love that end, no more of the "sluggish" response of Android devices in the past.

For a $200-250 price point, its a no brainer if you're looking for a budget tablet. Obviously comparisons to the iPad will be made, but I see myself getting a lot more use out of this than I have my Kindle Fire.

Vyer

I might actually wait for Gamestop to get better stock. Trading in some old games lying around and my little used 3DS would probably cut quite a chunk out of the price.

Top Bottom