• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Argyle

Just got mine (8GB, ordered from the Play Store on 6/29) - pretty cool so far! Still getting everything set up...

I don't really understand what all the fuss was regarding the unboxing experience, it didn't seem particularly hard to unpack or anything.

BFIB

Got mine - haven't done anything other than install Kindle. Need to play with it later tonight. Screen is nice but doesn't seem much better than the Kindle Fire imo. Obviously the iPad 3 kills it in that department.

I'm interested in owning an Android device for development purposes and to see how JB behaves ahead of potentially jumping ship away iOS in the phone space come Sept/Oct.

Wow, I directly compared my Fire to this when I got it, and I was easily impressed with how much clearer text is compared to the Fire. Magazines I don't have to constantly pinch and zoom as was on my Fire. Comics are a huge, huge improvement, and books as well.

rabhw

Taking another giant leap towards "shittiest customer experience in existence", Google is no longer taking any phone calls at all!

Phone number says: "We are unable to take your call right now. We look forward to speaking with you later, goodbye!" and hangs up.

Seriously.

pastapadre

Neo Member
Got my order today...they shipped it next day air late last night which was nice after the frustration of the whole process. Not sure if anyone's seen the case (the one sold on the Play Store) yet but I'm surprised at how nice it is. Fits and feels great.

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Alright so this has been bugging me in regards to comixology. Is the guided view crapping out for anyone else? I'll enter guided view to read the panels but when it completes a page and goes to the next
, the screen will just go completely black and I'll have to back out of the comic and reload it. Is this happening to anyone else?

I've been getting the same problem.

Emily Chu

Banned
Got my order today...they shipped it next day air late last night which was nice after the frustration of the whole process. Not sure if anyone's seen the case (the one sold on the Play Store) yet but I'm surprised at how nice it is. Fits and feels great.

008.JPG

looks nice wished they had an all black version

is it even out yet ?

it sleeps and wakes the screen right ? 19.99$ ?

does it fold all the way back ?

Hieberrr

Are there any cases where the you place the unit into it without having the case covering the bezel?

Similar to the Asus case, but with the ability to stand.

pastapadre

Neo Member
so you got the case on the play store ?

is it even out yet ?

it sleeps and wakes the screen right ? 19.99$ ?

does it fold all the way back ?

Yeah the front flap folds back nicely. As far as the sleep/wake feature this case doesn't seem to have it. That's triggered by a magnet right? This case doesn't seem to have that.

Phoenix

Taking another giant leap towards "shittiest customer experience in existence", Google is no longer taking any phone calls at all!

Phone number says: "We are unable to take your call right now. We look forward to speaking with you later, goodbye!" and hangs up.

Seriously.

Wow.... true... EPIC... FAIL.

When Apple does the same thing 6 months later people will say "Apple guys are blind - they just purchased it because it has an Apple logo on it". To this I will reply "yep, because Apple knows how to treat its customers - that's why they don't leave and everyone else is having a hard time getting them".

Samus4145

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG
The one on play store is available? I checked last week and it wasn't so I signed up for email notifications on it and never received anything.

Salaadin

Seriously.

Had the same problem. I want to call them to see if they can tell me wtf is going on but now they wont even let me.

rabhw

Had the same problem. I want to call them to see if they can tell me wtf is going on but now they wont even let me.

Try now, they are taking calls again. The menu option voice has been updated with more options, and a male British voice!

Been on hold for 13 minutes and counting, expecting to wait up to an hour.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
After a long unnecessary wait, I have finally received my Nexus 7. Impressions so far, I love the form factor. Its much more comfortable to hold for long periods of use than my iPad 2. Typing takes a while to get use to (for me anyways, having meaty fingers). I hope flipboard, zite and other popular apps update eventually to support the 7 inch form factor.

Coming from iOS, jellybean feels so much more robust.

Salaadin

Try now, they are taking calls again. The menu option voice has been updated with more options, and a male British voice!

Been on hold for 13 minutes and counting, expecting to wait up to an hour.

Nothing.

Post what they tell you, if you can. Ill keep trying here.

After a long unnecessary wait, I have finally received my Nexus 7. Impressions so far, I love the form factor. Its much more comfortable to hold for long periods of use than my iPad 2. Typing takes a while to get use to (for me anyways, having meaty fingers). I hope flipboard, zite and other popular apps update eventually to support the 7 inch form factor.

I'm interested in the robust comment....can you be more specific?

Cartman86

Banned
Shit. I decided not to root right now as I couldn't find anybody to answer if rooting with 4.1.1 works. Decided I didn't really need any root only apps, but right when I was all done setting up my homescreen and manually downloading everything I realized the datasync app for game saves is root only.

bob page

Flipboard isn't optimized for 7" tablets yet? Looks like I'm gonna hold off on this then.

Was anyone's box double-taped? Is that normal?

I have a complaint about this thing, too - the build quality is very, very suspect. The display glass cover is sitting slightly above the bezel on one side. The goddamn thing squeaks when I hold it on the left side because I'm pushing the glass back into the bezel where it fucking should have been already. I'm really close to returning this POS.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, could they be more obscure about how to return this thing for a refund? I can't find anything anywhere on the subject.

EDIT2: Holy shit there's a big ass thread about this defect on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1770919&page=18

surly

Banned

I have a complaint about this thing, too - the build quality is very, very suspect. The display glass cover is sitting slightly above the bezel on one side. The goddamn thing squeaks when I hold it on the left side because I'm pushing the glass back into the bezel where it fucking should have been already. I'm really close to returning this POS.
Could it have been dropped, damaged, then taped back up again?

Either way, I wouldn't put up with that and fingers crossed I won't have to.

Wow, I directly compared my Fire to this when I got it, and I was easily impressed with how much clearer text is compared to the Fire. Magazines I don't have to constantly pinch and zoom as was on my Fire. Comics are a huge, huge improvement, and books as well.

Yah I already sold my Fire - it's probably just an idealized memory of the thing. I think it's better, just not a quantum leap.

bob page

Every device I've ever owned by Asus has had creaking issues.

rabhw

jesus christ. Feel bad for anyone who ordered 16gb.

Shitty thing is, I had an 8gb ordered on June 27th, and decided to upgrade to 16gb on the 29th and cancelled my first order. Y'know, back when Google was able to cancel orders.

Stop and think about that for a second. We're expected to wait 1-2 weeks additional for the tablets to ship, and if we decide "no thanks", TOO BAD, you can't even fucking cancel because it's "been sent to the shipping department". No it fucking hasn't otherwise it wouldn't take 2 weeks to start shipping. I haven't even been charged yet you assholes.

adroit

Not sure if anyone's seen the case (the one sold on the Play Store) yet but I'm surprised at how nice it is. Fits and feels great.
Thanks for those great pix. Does the case "grip" the tablet so it doesn't tump out? Or does the tablet just fall out if you tip the case forward? I'd like to have something rugged and washable (unlike leather) to protect the tablet when I'm using it on errands like grocery shopping (shopping list sorted by aisle FTW...I'm so sick of paper shopping lists).

Slime

Banned
Latest update from Google (just posted): http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2667319&topic=2411735&ctx=topic

Canada: 1-2 more weeks. wtfisthisshit.gif

42 minutes on hold and counting. Really looking forward to speaking to someone who can't even tell me anything!

That's fucked.

If I have to wait another two weeks for something I ordered two days after release and retailers are getting now, I don't even think I want one any more. Will probably just find something else to spend my money on.

Lexxon

Just picked mine up--last one at my local Staples.

Loving the size, build quality on mine seems pretty decent. I had a TF101 before this with loose glass and a lot of light bleed, so I've been suspect of Asus in the past.

And I will remain suspect! I saw the burn-in of the keyboard on the tutorial, pretty nasty, but it went away. What I'm more worried about is two light streaks of white-ish color are going down the left side of the screen. Not that noticable on light backgrounds, but enough to make me twitch on anything with darker colors.

Methinks that will be enough for me to return it, but I have 14 days to return. Going to root this puppy (since there's already "back to stock" guides) and start having some fun with it.

BTW, someone in this thread linked a 'must have Nexus 7 apps' video. Had it bookmarked to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=05IJBTVXP8M#t=341s

Now it's private :(

I know he went through Datasync, which I've played with but not for long on the Nexus. May give that a shot though. anyone else know what else was mentioned? I think Tablet Talk was for texting--already bought that with some of my newly found credit.

Shitty thing is, I had an 8gb ordered on June 27th, and decided to upgrade to 16gb on the 29th and cancelled my first order. Y'know, back when Google was able to cancel orders.

Stop and think about that for a second. We're expected to wait 1-2 weeks additional for the tablets to ship, and if we decide "no thanks", TOO BAD, you can't even fucking cancel because it's "been sent to the shipping department". No it fucking hasn't otherwise it wouldn't take 2 weeks to start shipping. I haven't even been charged yet you assholes.
worst part is they didn't tell you you were gonna have to wait this long until now. Shame. I feel for you man :(

kehs

Banned
Apparently the staples by my house has some in stock, and according to some on slickdeals they do price matching.

-_-

Just picked one up from the most ghetto Staples ever - on the west side of Columbus.

Called ahead, was told it was in stock, and went to pick it up. Easy as pie. I'm so glad I held back on pre-ordering it online.

Time to play with my shiny new toy.

rabhw

Just got off the phone with them. As suspected, the guy couldn't tell me anything. Anything. at. all.

He doesn't know why orders are not shipping in chronological order.
He doesn't know why I am unable to just cancel my order, despite having to wait up to an additional 2 weeks for it to even ship.
He doesn't know why people are paying for 2-day shipping, and then getting UPS Standard 5-7 day.
He doesn't know how long it will take to issue a refund if I were to refuse shipment and have it sent back to them.

The only thing he could do was add a note to my account saying that when my order ships, if it ships with 5-7 day shipping, I should get a refund on my shipping costs since I paid for 2-day shipping.

Why even have phone support if they have absolutely no ability to provide any information at all? It's not like I can yell at the guy, it's not his fault...

giga

Just got off the phone with them. As suspected, the guy couldn't tell me anything. Anything. at. all.

He doesn't know why I am unable to just cancel my order, despite having to wait up to an additional 2 weeks for it to even ship.
He doesn't know why people are paying for 2-day shipping, and then getting UPS Standard 5-7 day.
He doesn't know how long it will take to issue a refund if I were to refuse shipment and have it sent back to them.

The only thing he could do was add a note to my account saying that when my order ships, if it ships with 5-7 day shipping, I should get a refund on my shipping costs since I paid for 2-day shipping.

Why even have phone support if they have absolutely no ability to provide any information at all? It's not like I can yell at the guy, it's not his fault...
Still, you choose to place the order with Google under the "2-3 Weeks / Mid-July" information, paying the 2-Day Shipping Option. They have lived up to this. Anything else is just coming from someone who is impatient

kehs

Banned

UPS ground counts as 2 days depending on how far the destination is.

if it makes you feel any better at all, mine is coming this thursday man.

I might just drop by Staples and the flip the one I get from JR for a $15 buck profit.

Top Bottom