• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

I'll be interested to see if Mariota understands pro football concepts. That'll be the important part of his interviews, not what a good guy he is. I just don't see the arm strength and accuracy, coupled with that offense, he has bust written all over him. I've only watched three of his games, though. I'll dive into the tape in a couple of months.

I think his arm strength is adequate, he's got a little more zip than Teddy from what I've seen. He just needs to drive it more consistently. And from what I hear, he's very smart and a tape junkie. I think he'll put in the work to be successful.

Never really know tho. Just glad the Raiders got their guy last year.

Know you posted this in the other thread, but here's a nice discussion on Williams by Matt Waldman, who I like a lot. Long story short, he think Williams is best player in draft so far, and better than Aaron Donald who was one of his safest picks along with Mr. Watkins.

Sub to the channel, lots of good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8hJaiZvTY&list=PLX1Nx57UJgZnFoNiGj7K9qxCSXZVMtENm&index=1

Yeah his RSP is great and worth the cash as well.

I'm hoping against hope that Williams falls to us at 4. I'd actually even trade up for him since this draft is pretty shit overall.

Bowser

Well a side point, it may not be the kiss of death for the franchise but it certainly would for the GM and coach. Whiffing on a 1st-round QB is the best way to guarantee your ejection.

And on main, I just don't see a scenario where he miraculously turns around. Not only putting my team's hopes into the hands of an accused rapist who steals crab legs and generally coasted the whole season, but having him be the leader of a group of professionals? I just don't see it working out.

The sexual assault accusations are troubling, yes, and will need to be heavily diligenced by teams taking a look at him. The rest of it (crab legs, yelling the pussy thing, etc) don't really phase me that much. He just turned 21 7 days ago. I can tell you right now I was an immature fuck when I was 19-20 years old. He's still got a lot of growing up to do.

All I know is, if he falls past the Jets, some team is going to get tremendous value. I can see St. Louis falling over themselves to take him at 10. Browns at 12 and Texans at 16 would snap him up as well I think.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, this WR class looks really good coming out. I'm hoping the Panthers can snag a good deep threat/speed guy like Rashad Greene, Devin Smith, or Ty Montgomery in the 2nd/3rd round.

Syrinx

Know you posted this in the other thread, but here's a nice discussion on Williams by Matt Waldman, who I like a lot. Long story short, he think Williams is best player in draft so far, and better than Aaron Donald who was one of his safest picks along with Mr. Watkins.

Sub to the channel, lots of good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8hJaiZvTY&list=PLX1Nx57UJgZnFoNiGj7K9qxCSXZVMtENm&index=1

Thanks a ton for this. Just finished the fairly early part where he dominated that RT and they were discussing the leverage game he was playing while also using his strength. Really impressive stuff.

Edit: feel a bit bad for Shawn Oakman though; his tape came before and they're just like "Wow, this guy is way better than Oakman!"

You only turn down a job interview if you already have something lined up that you feel strongly about.

Chicago come on down?

1253886042_price-is-right-fail.gif

cdyhybrid

The sexual assault accusations are troubling, yes, and will need to be heavily diligenced by teams taking a look at him. The rest of it (crab legs, yelling the pussy thing, etc) don't really phase me that much. He just turned 21 7 days ago. I can tell you right now I was an immature fuck when I was 19-20 years old. He's still got a lot of growing up to do.

All I know is, if he falls past the Jets, some team is going to get tremendous value. I can see St. Louis falling over themselves to take him at 10. Browns at 12 and Texans at 16 would snap him up as well I think.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, this WR class looks really good coming out. I'm hoping the Panthers can snag a good deep threat/speed guy like Rashad Greene, Devin Smith, or Ty Montgomery in the 2nd/3rd round.
What about the point shaving?

JABEE

It wasn't even the drops that did Marriota in, his receivers couldn't beat press. OL played like dog shit too, specifically the Tackles. Biggest difference between the two teams was the OL play, OSU mauled them and their DL had no clue how to fit the run.

This is true. Look at the holes that OSU were creating in the run game. OSU's O-Line mauled them. Mariota was running for his life.

I am praying that Mariota and Winston go 1 and 2 allowing the Jaguars to draft Leonard Williams. I will also be happy with Randy Gregory. Jacksonville needs to get older on offense and younger on defense.

Crisco

Banned
Taking a chance on a QB when you just went 4-12 or worse seems like a really bad idea. You want to be competitive? Draft offensive linemen, running backs, huge (not fast) receivers, and spend all your money in free agency on defense. Pretty much any team can follow that formula and win 8-10 games within a year or two.

RBH

Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz will not return for the 2015 season, a league source said Monday night.

The reason, according to the source, was due to differing defensive philosophies.

Schwartz and new Bills coach Rex Ryan spoke about the direction of the defense within the last 24 hours.

Dennis Thurman, who was Ryan's defensive coordinator with the New York Jets the last two seasons, is expected to take over as defensive coordinator with the Bills.

Personnel sources said that Schwartz should receive strong interest from other teams looking to fill the role of defensive coordinator.

The Bills finished fourth overall in total defense, third in turnovers forced, and first in sacks.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12158322/jim-schwartz-return-buffalo-bills?ex_cid=espnapi_public

He was on the Giants list for defensive coordinator so I've no doubt he'll be brought in for an interview. Can't say I'm a huge fan though.

LJ11

Jason Peters and Lane Johnson made it as PFF's All Pro Left and Right Tackles.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/05/2014-pff-all-pro-team/

Peters may end up a Hall of Famer, there's no doubt he's a hall of fame talent, unreal athlete. Great player when healthy and motivated.

Schwartz has some awful blitz packages, could have learned a thing or two if he stuck around. Don't blame him for leaving, D looked pretty lost early in the year, but they got their shit together late in the year. His D puts stress on your Safeties, everyone has to communicate properly.

BigAT

Peters may end up a Hall of Famer, there's no doubt he's a hall of fame talent, unreal athlete. Great player when healthy and motivated.

Schwartz has some awful blitz packages, could have learned a thing or two if he stuck around. Don't blame him for leaving, D looked pretty lost early in the year, but they got their shit together late in the year. His D puts stress on your Safeties, everyone has to communicate properly.

Giants don't have safeties!

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 4h4 hours ago
Broncos will seek permission to interview Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, who played and coached in Denver but has said he would stay in Baltimore.

mic-drop.gif

BigAT

Not sure the Bills do either. Aaron Williams is alright, but Searcy is a box safety. Bills DL gets a ton of credit, but I think our DBs don't get enough credit. Hopefully they continue to improve.

Any thoughts on Pepper Johnson as a potential DC? Kind of hard to evaluate position guys for that jump to coordinator, especially if they haven't done it before.

Seemed like he did a good job coaching the line in Buffalo, but there's also a ton of talent to work with there. I think I would prefer him over Schwartz at this point, when it comes to evaluating just the two of them in a vacuum.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 4h4 hours ago
Broncos will seek permission to interview Ravens OC Gary Kubiak, who played and coached in Denver but has said he would stay in Baltimore.

mic-drop.gif

What a blow to the ego. Getting turned down by Gary Kubiak is like getting turned down by the AT&T girl.

LJ11

Any thoughts on Pepper Johnson as a potential DC? Kind of hard to evaluate position guys for that jump to coordinator, especially if they haven't done it before.

Seemed like he did a good job coaching the line in Buffalo, but there's also a ton of talent to work with there. I think I would prefer him over Schwartz at this point, when it comes to evaluating just the two of them in a vacuum.

I'd like to keep Peppers if possible because he's been around some smart coaches. Helped us stop the Pats run game cold in the first meeting, but at times we reverted to 13 form against the run, mainly the Broncos/Packers games, but I guess we were playing with a light box.

Schwartz is very much like Fewell in a lot of ways, lots of coverage, split safety coverage in particular, rarely blitzes. No idea what Peppers would do.

Top Bottom