• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Jarnet87

I think Pettine bowed to the pressure of the media/fans. He knew damn well JF8 couldn't play. He watched him practice every day for 5 months. I like the guy, but that was a brutal choice. Actually, I blame the homeless guy.

You could make the case they should have pulled Hoyer sooner, would have given them more time to look at Manziel (or Shaw lol).

squicken

I think Pettine bowed to the pressure of the media/fans. He knew damn well JF8 couldn't play. He watched him practice every day for 5 months. I like the guy, but that was a brutal choice. Actually, I blame the homeless guy.

His mistake was not backing Hoyer after the ATL comeback. Should've used that opportunity to say that Hoyer was his guy for the rest of the year.

Otherwise, I sorta like Pettine. They did a good job managing leaks, given how badly the team and players feel about Gilbert and Manziel. None of that came out during the year. Leaks kill teams b/c players stop trusting the coaches/mgmt

That said, someone sure is making it known that Manziel was on Haslam and Gilbert on Pettine

jbug617

Banned
Manziel enjoying the offseason. Also best comment lol

B6I19WkCIAA8K0G.jpg

Posted this in the wrong thread and was rightly ignored. Anyway:

I don't watch college football at all, but reading up on a few mock drafts/players, a lot of places expect the Vikings to pick up Teddy's old buddy WR from Louisville, Devante Parker.

Is that the actual consensus? I figure they have a bigger need at OL than WR. Not that either position is in that great of a spot.

squicken

Lol wtf squicken, you've pretty much been calling pettine a idiot the whole year. Pretty much said he should be fired

I thought they should have played JFF b/c they needed to see what they had. I had no idea he gave zero fucks. I was wrong.

And I said "sorta like" which is hardly a hardy backslap. The team really regressed as they year went on and he couldn't stop it. My thing is I just can't understand the Cincinnati game where his team came out totally disinterested and the defense got destroyed by the run. If I was Haslam I'd want to know why that happened

BigAT

Squicken, BG, now that the luster has clearly worn off, would you mind explaining what the heck you guys thought you saw in Manziel in the first place?

squicken

Squicken, BG, now that the luster has clearly worn off, would you mind explaining what the heck you guys thought you saw in Manziel in the first place?

I actually think he has the physical tools to be Jeff Garcia with a better arm. Good arm, great instincts. I think with enough reps he would have adapted his game to pro speed, but he just doesn't care. His fundamentals are as shit as they were in school and he probably put in the same amount of work when it came time for studying

RELAYER

Banned
Wrong argument. He is a perfect fit because his players run through walls for him. He is coach that is no nonsense and has balls. He is also a great defensive mind. The offense may have only scored 3, but our defense was a fucking turnstyle in the running game and the QB had all day to through.

That can change with Rex.

DCX

Our offense is a problem more than people ever want to admit, and it has been for years.
How many times have they gone dead for entire halves?
Why did we almost lose Seahawks playoff game?
Niners playoff game?

I guess you could blame the defense, but with as much money as we spend on the offense, with Matt "elite" Ryan, we shouldn't be going 30 minutes with no points, and we especially should not be scoring a mere 3 points at home against a division rival in what was essentially a playoff game. It was the Giants game all over again.

Our defense gave up 20 points to the Panthers.
Matt gave 14 to the Panthers.

As far as I'm concerned, our offense loses us more games than our defense, which says a lot.
When our defense gives up 20 points, I'm satisfied. I fully expect our "high-flying" offense to put up more than 20.

I'm just tired of this talk about how we have an elite offense and everything is "in place."
What the fuck is in place?

QB - average
WRs - 1 above average, the others old and in decline
TE - trash
OL - trash
RBs - trash

He's got some good tools, good arm, mobility/ instincts. He Did a great job of extending plays in college. It's not like he was running navy's offense , Qb runs pretty much ever play. Made some great throws, guy has some zip on his balls. did a good job of making things out of nothing, It kind of reminded me of how Romo will scramble around in the pocket at times. His mechanics aren't always the best, but hey sometimes mechanics aren't everything. He got the ball out however he needed to. When he's on the field he's a fierce competitor. I still think he can be good, but he's got to work at his craft this off season. I'm just not sure he's the right guy for the Browns right now, we can't afford to wait for him to mature if he's not serious. He can live his life like any other player but has to cut out the tomfoolery. If he dosent make it it's not beacuse of lack of talent, just his on doing by not being serious enough. There's only 32 starting jobs in the NFL and he's gotta realize teams will cut bait real quick.
Edit: he threw the ball up for grabs a lot and I knew hey can't do that in the NFL, but at the same time we had gordon so thought maybe it'll help the transition

And I myself just prefer mobile Qbs, so thats one reason I was drawn to him.

The fact that he can extend plays on his own is a huge plus in itself. Ben's won rings doing that kind of thing. He's got serious talent, but damn he needs to put his head into the game by next season. I also don't think he should've started when he did. Either throw him in from the start or in year 2.

BigAT

The fact that he can extend plays on his own is a huge plus in itself. Ben's won rings doing that kind of thing. He's got serious talent, but damn he needs to put his head into the game by next season. I also don't think he should've started when he did. Either throw him in from the start or in year 2.

Whenever I was looking at of his highlights pre-draft so much of that looked like stuff that would get badly punished in the NFL. Turning his back on the rush, making blind spin moves, mainly escaping outside of the pocket, not within it, college players getting so close to blowing up so many of his plays (where every NFL defender would be that much faster or stronger to actually make the play). I just felt like it was really evident that the things he was able to get away with in college just couldn't happen at the NFL level.

Also he was an asshole.

Whenever I was looking at of his highlights pre-draft so much of that looked like stuff that would get badly punished in the NFL. Turning his back on the rush, making blind spin moves, mainly escaping outside of the pocket, not within it, college players getting so close to blowing up so many of his plays (where every NFL defender would be that much faster or stronger to actually make the play). I just felt like it was really evident that the things he was able to get away with in college just couldn't happen at the NFL level.

Also he was an asshole.

That was also a big problem. His play against Bama where he ran back like 20 yards and just aired it out to the middle of the field and completed it was seen as an amazing play by the media, but NFL GMs were probably shocked that he would actually be dumb enough to throw that. He got bailed out a lot in college, but we all saw how that playstyle would look against the Bengals. He needs to take some lessons from Ben and learn to keep plays alive, but know when to go down or just throw it away if recievers still can't get open.

Furyous

You could make the case they should have pulled Hoyer sooner, would have given them more time to look at Manziel (or Shaw lol).

Shaw looked better than the first round draft pick on game film. At one point he was 10 for 15 for 152 yards. That's better than Johnny's time at the helm.

Dear Cleveland Browns,

Thanks for not taking Teddy!

Love,

Vikings Fans

Dear Vikings,

*throws towel over face to cry without anyone seeing*

Any Browns fan knew that decision pick is up there with Tim Couch over McNabb, Weeden over Russell Wilson and Spergon Wynn over Tom Brady. If Johnny's on the roster next year and starts he's getting the RG3 treatment from linemen, linebackers, and safeties. They're enjoying every hit and gloating about it.

BigAT

That was also a big problem. His play against Bama where he ran back like 20 yards and just aired it out to the middle of the field and completed it was seen as an amazing play by the media, but NFL GMs were probably shocked that he would actually be dumb enough to throw that. He got bailed out a lot in college, but we all saw how that playstyle would look against the Bengals. He needs to take some lessons from Ben and learn to keep plays alive, but know when to go down or just throw it away if recievers still can't get open.

Having two top 10 NFL draft picks on offense with him was also a big reason why he was able to get away with a lot of the shit he did at A&M. You can blindly chuck the ball downfield when you have Mike Evans against college DBs.

MechDX

Shaw looked better than the first round draft pick on game film. At one point he was 10 for 15 for 152 yards. That's better than Johnny's time at the helm.

Dear Vikings,

*throws towel over face to cry without anyone seeing*

Any Browns fan knew that decision pick is up there with Tim Couch over McNabb, Weeden over Russell Wilson and Spergon Wynn over Tom Brady. If Johnny's on the roster next year and starts he's getting the RG3 treatment from linemen, linebackers, and safeties. They're enjoying every hit and gloating about it.

Come on now. Nobody knew Brady and Wilson would turn out the way they did

Jarnet87

Manziel can never do what Big Ben does because of the size difference. If Manziel took half those hits he would be dead. If he is gonna model his game after anyone it needs to be Brees or Wilson.

Manziel can never do what Big Ben does because of the size difference. If Manziel took half those hits he would be dead. If he is gonna model his game after anyone it needs to be Brees or Wilson.

Wilson would be a more accurate comparison in his physcial attributes, but I mostly said Ben because he extends the plays and throws the ball deep, which is something Johnny can do. Not sure how accurate Wilson is on the deep ball to make the comparison.

Having two top 10 NFL draft picks on offense with him was also a big reason why he was able to get away with a lot of the shit he did at A&M. You can blindly chuck the ball downfield when you have Mike Evans against college DBs.

That certainly helps, but he is a talented quarterback. Its just that his play style has to adjust to the NFL or he's never gonna work out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's what they say!

(I don't think height has anything to do with it. His seeming lack of any work ethic though, that's an issue. People overcome shortcomings in the NFL all the time by sheer dedication. This guy seemingly doesn't get it.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
😟...

This might be possible.

I said the first part as a joke to get the conversation going.

Line of sight is an issue that some talented QBs have had to work hard to overcome. It can also be an advantage when it comes to slipping out of tackles as it's easier to hit some of those giant men launching the ball.

Our offense is a problem more than people ever want to admit, and it has been for years.
How many times have they gone dead for entire halves?
Why did we almost lose Seahawks playoff game?
Niners playoff game?

I guess you could blame the defense, but with as much money as we spend on the offense, with Matt "elite" Ryan, we shouldn't be going 30 minutes with no points, and we especially should not be scoring a mere 3 points at home against a division rival in what was essentially a playoff game. It was the Giants game all over again.

Our defense gave up 20 points to the Panthers.
Matt gave 14 to the Panthers.

As far as I'm concerned, our offense loses us more games than our defense, which says a lot.
When our defense gives up 20 points, I'm satisfied. I fully expect our "high-flying" offense to put up more than 20.

I'm just tired of this talk about how we have an elite offense and everything is "in place."
What the fuck is in place?

QB - average
WRs - 1 above average, the others old and in decline
TE - trash
OL - trash
RBs - trash

Because Mike Smith always got conservative with a big lead, ALWAYS! Exception being the first Bucs game this season.

watershed

Banned
Manziel isn't too short to be an NFL QB but right now he does look too small. In his two starts he looked like a child playing on the same field as grown men. He needs to pack on some pounds or something. Someone said that Manziel is actually taller than Wilson but watching them in game. you'd never know it.

JCizzle

It's sad that I'm excited that the Niners have scheduled an interview with McDaniels after hearing about the other names being floated. FML

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
LOL, it is probably alittle embarrassing having it show up the activity feed. But fuck it I don't care haha

BG as you get older you'll learn you just don't care anymore.

Last time I played Dance Central was years ago with my Packers friend and a bottle of wine.

Such a classy evening as I danced to "Poison" by Bel Biv Devoe.

effzee

^^^^^that Browns kirk cousins report, is essentially Tony Grossi just throwing darts

Here's a interesting one

Yes yes yes yes!!! Slide down to poppa Chip Mariota!

It's not like the Eagles were going to do anything in the playoffs this year. And any system that allowed the Eagles in this year would be way more convoluted than the current divisional setup

Simple solution:

If a division winner is below .500, they lose the right to make the playoffs and the spot goes to the team with the best record.

Eagles could hang with the likes of Arizona, Dallas, Detroit, and even Seattle. Packers would have been the only team they stood no chance against.

Jarnet87

Yes yes yes yes!!! Slide down to poppa Chip Mariota!

Simple solution:

If a division winner is below .500, they lose the right to make the playoffs and the spot goes to the team with the best record.

Eagles could hang with the likes of Arizona, Dallas, Detroit, and even Seattle. Packers would have been the only team they stood no chance against.

Win some more football games. You guys go in to Dallas and stomp them then get spanked 2 weeks later. Then you lose to the scrub Redskins the following week. Carolina took care of theirs, the Eagles didn't.

Top Bottom