• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

Furyous

Do we have a Browns contingent here? Does anyone expect Johnny Football to change his attitude and behavior to change for the better next season/this off season?

There are a lot of Browns fans on this board. No, I don't expect him to change his attitude or actions off the field. There's a chance we cut bait and/or draft another QB this year. Allegedly, Hoyer wants to return next year. That gives us ammo if Johnny doesn't shape up considering the fact Connor outplayed him. We don't need Johnny next year to be successful.... Braxton Miller looks good on these youtube highlights.

*EDIT*

Kirk Cousins is a downgrade as a starting QB. He's a glorified backup at this point his career. He's 1-9 as a starter. Miss me with talk of he's still developing. Kirk is not the answer as a starter.

njean777

Love how the Eagles are the only team with a double digit win record that isn't going to the play offs. Oh NFL and its convoluted play off set up.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
BG a few weeks back I finally removed Grossi from my twitter feed.

I am a better person for it.

Nate Ulrich gives me the coverage I need. I still keep Mary Kay because she tries so hard.

Will Burge because I enjoy his sarcasm against the insanity of Browns nation.

^^^ I don't follow anyone on Twitter haha, I barely even get on. Sad to say but I honestly get the majority of my news from the OBR. Usually I can find tweets gathered in one post/thread there
There are a lot of Browns fans on this board. No, I don't expect him to change his attitude or actions off the field. There's a chance we cut bait and/or draft another QB this year. Allegedly, Hoyer wants to return next year. That gives us ammo if Johnny doesn't shape up considering the fact Connor outplayed him. We don't need Johnny next year to be successful.... Braxton Miller looks good on these youtube highlights.
I like Braxton but breeeehhhhh, can't see him being a successful NFL starting Qb. J.T on the other hand looks like he can develop into somthing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
^^^ I don't follow anyone on Twitter haha, I barely even get on. Sad to say but I honestly get the majority of my news from the OBR. Usually I can find tweets gathered in one post/thread there

I like Braxton but breeeehhhhh, can't see him being a successful NFL starting Qb. J.T on the other hand looks like he can develop into somthing.

I can't read through the OBR for too long. The depression and anger in there is too much for it. It's hard sometimes digging through the shit to find the few quality posts that elaborate on things that are said.

I can't read through the OBR for too long. The depression and anger in there is too much for it. It's hard sometimes digging through the shit to find the few quality posts that elaborate on things that are said.
I don't click on half the posts, I pretty much just click on threads for the articles, tweets and news. It's just the easiest and fastest way for me to personally get my news. Plus the insider boards and stuff. If I paid attention to what half the ppl said I'd want to punch myself
Edit: some dude who has apprently been reliable with info is saying Shanny is gonna leave for another job ( HC it seems )

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If anyone wants to get started doing postmortems, feel free. I probably won't be doing one until after the SB.

I'd think a format of something like;

Quick season recap
Over/under performers, possibly a rookie/fa/player review
Coaching/management issues/praise
What will/should happen in the offseason
Outlook

would work best, but whatever. Write what you want.

Syrinx

If anyone wants to get started doing postmortems, feel free. I probably won't be doing one until after the SB.

Quick season recap
Outlook

I can do a Bucs one tomorrow if nobody else does it. But I'm not sure what else need be said about them.

Jarnet87

Quick season recap
Outlook

A Bucs portmortem would be very short, and very negative.

DominoKid

Someone tell me its gonna be OK and the Titans wont stick with Mettenberger.

Management cant seriously believe he's the answer.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bucs postmortem:

Sherman_Tank_WW2.jpg

squicken

This .gif should be in the OP.

#1 rule of the NFL offseason: don't believe anything you hear from teams or "sources"

But Harbaugh to the Browns was real. Rams really wanted Zach Martin. Lots of other examples as well. Not everything is smoke

I wonder why the Phins haven't cut Mike Wallace? The dude quit a game ffs

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
But Harbaugh to the Browns was real. Rams really wanted Zach Martin. Lots of other examples as well. Not everything is smoke

I wonder why the Phins haven't cut Mike Wallace? The dude quit a game ffs

He says they benched him. Plus he has something like $27M in dead money.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, but most of it is, and it's really hard to tell the difference until much later. Maybe don't believe anything was too harsh, but take everything with a huge grain of salt at least.

Damien Woody had a great idea for what Rex Ryan should next year. Take a TV job somewhere (probably join the cult of personalities at ESPN) and in the course of his job travel around the league and pick the brains of the various offensive minds/Gruden/Jaworski, etc.etc. Then come back to the league in a year or two when there will probably be more attractive jobs open with a better appreciation for offensive football.

I think the fear if I'm an NFL franchise waiting on a HC is the longer a guy like Ryan stays on TV, the harder it is to pull him away from it. There's a reason why Cowher never came back and Gruden's never coming back. The money's good, the hours are a hell of a lot better than being an NFL coach, and you still basically get to be an "NFL coach". You're still breaking down film, dissecting teams strengths and weaknesses, and criticizing players, you just have none of the stress or pressure of having to win games to keep your job.

What's the pressure in talking about football on TV? Ray Lewis can spout melodramatic nonsense, Michael Irvin can be coked out on live television, and Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith can all yell at each other for two hours and all have jobs. I'd say the standard for football broadcasting is low enough that anyone could make it.

For some time the general consensus was that Smith and Nolan were having trouble working with the talent pool in Atlanta. The lack of a pass rush meant there was no one here capable of truly making a difference. The talent pool was supposed to be Dimitroff's game.

According to Blank, that wasn't the case.

"The design -- and Smitty felt strongly, Mike Nolan felt strongly about this, I think Thomas was certainly supportive of it -- Thomas had strong feelings that we needed to get more pressure," Blank said. "Smitty and Mike, and others felt that we needed to build from the inside out, we needed to be able to stop the run and that in and of itself would create opportunities.

http://www.foxsports.com/south/stor...w-atlanta-falcons-should-build-defense-123014

Colasante

Someone tell me its gonna be OK and the Titans wont stick with Mettenberger.

Management cant seriously believe he's the answer.

From my outside perspective, I think Mettenberger is far from the biggest issue with the Titans. That being said, I'd like to see Ken Whisenhunt try to develop Jameis Winston; after all his unsuccessful post-Kurt Warner years, I want to see if Whisenhunt is as bad as his record indicates or if he's actually been the victim of terrible QB development and play.

Jarnet87

From my outside perspective, I think Mettenberger is far from the biggest issue with the Titans. That being said, I'd like to see Ken Whisenhunt try to develop Jameis Winston; after all his unsuccessful post-Kurt Warner years, I want to see if Whisenhunt is as bad as his record indicates or if he's actually been the victim of terrible QB development and play.

Wisenhunt has shown he can be successful with good quarterbacks, unfortunately he can't evaluate the position for shit judging by all the terrible ones he has drafted/acquired.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Love how the Eagles are the only team with a double digit win record that isn't going to the play offs. Oh NFL and its convoluted play off set up.
It's not like the Eagles were going to do anything in the playoffs this year. And any system that allowed the Eagles in this year would be way more convoluted than the current divisional setup

cajunator

Banned
With the recent Bears firings, that opens the possibility of Marc Trestmann and Aaron Kromer to join the Saints coaching staff. Kromer was a solid line coach here and Marc would be a good QB mentor for Brees, since Brees actually listens to coaching unlike Cutler. There is a bit of smoke starting regarding this speculation. Its probably not true but it could definitely work.

Vio-Lence

Banned
With the recent Bears firings, that opens the possibility of Marc Trestmann and Aaron Kromer to join the Saints coaching staff. Kromer was a solid line coach here and Marc would be a good QB mentor for Brees, since Brees actually listens to coaching unlike Cutler. There is a bit of smoke starting regarding this speculation. Its probably not true but it could definitely work.

i wouldn't wish doctor death on my enemy.

Jarnet87

Give me trestman in Tampa. He runs the offense, lovie runs the defense. We saw him put up big numbers last year, he might be more on the level of a quality OC then a head coach. Obviously getting Trestman means no Cutler, and if we are in for Cutler it means no Trestman. Just a possible fit and a big upgrade over what we currently have in Arroyo.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So barring Kyle Shanahan getting a head coaching job, which seems unlikely.

We should be bringing back the same coaching staffing barring a slight change here or there.

We haven't been able to do that probably since Crennel was here.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So barring Kyle Shanahan getting a head coaching job, which seems unlikely.

We should be bringing back the same coaching staffing barring a slight change here or there.

We haven't been able to do that probably since Crennel was here.

In hindsight, how do you feel about Pettine playing JF8 while the Browns were still in the playoff hunt?

I'll give Mettenberger another chance. By preseason he should be fully healed from all injuries. Given he's gotta some real game time I expect better progress from him

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
In hindsight, how do you feel about Pettine playing JF8 while the Browns were still in the playoff hunt?

I would have preferred Manziel to not play at all this year and said so from game 1 but with Hoyer's play declining severely every single week his hand basically got forced.

Pettine needed to try something to try to reignite the offense and it was his only move.

Obviously didn't work out.

Hoyer was something like 1 TD to 8 INTs and about mid 40 percent in completions over his last 3-4 starts before he got benched.

It's not like the Eagles were going to do anything in the playoffs this year. And any system that allowed the Eagles in this year would be way more convoluted than the current divisional setup

not really. you could simply require a division winner to, you know, have a winning record before getting the playoff position that a division winner currently gets.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I would have preferred Manziel to not play at all this year and said so from game 1 but with Hoyer's play declining severely every single week his hand basically got forced.

Pettine needed to try something to try to reignite the offense and it was his only move.

Obviously didn't work out.

Hoyer was something like 1 TD to 8 INTs and about mid 40 percent in completions over his last 3-4 starts before he got benched.

I think Pettine bowed to the pressure of the media/fans. He knew damn well JF8 couldn't play. He watched him practice every day for 5 months. I like the guy, but that was a brutal choice. Actually, I blame the homeless guy.

Top Bottom