• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 9 |OT| Gronkenstorm

Yeah I think the difference in line size would be the biggest problem for a college teams.

76 Fluker, D.J. OL 6-6 335 Jr (3V) Foley, AL (Foley HS)
75 Jones, Barrett OL 6-5 302 Sr (4V) Memphis, TN (Evangelical Christian HS)
71 Kouandjio, Cyrus OL 6-6 311 So (1V) Hyattsville, MD ()
61 Steen, Anthony OL 6-3 303 Jr (3V) Lambert, MS (Lee Academy HS)
65 Warmack, Chance OL 6-3 320 Sr (3V) Atlanta, GA (Westlake HS)

I think they'd able to run the ball but not pass effectively against a NFL team.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's shitty, but she sounds awesome. I suspect your name isn't America anymore? Too bad.

Nah. That was her first name. And yeah, she was a boss. She died working in her garden that doctors had been telling her for 10 years to give up because of her heart. She lived to 98. Roughly 98 of those years seemed to be spent telling people to go fuck themselves.

jmdajr

I know you remember the 2002 Houston Texans offense. You are telling me that they are just going to destroy a great college defense?

I'm thinking even those Jokesters would have a chance. Bama QB would get more sacked than David Carr.

effzee

I would have loved for them to pick up a safety. I think Coleman is one of the worst in the NFL, I just dont remember there being much in the way of free agents. Hopefully the market for safety is better this year.

Guys like Bell and Landry were available.

I think the Eagles were hoping the DLINE would play as well, if not better, than it did last season plus the addition of actual LBs would help reduce the burden on the safeties. Or mask their deficiencies.

I think they'd able to run the ball but not pass effectively against a NFL team.

I think I didnt explain what I meant well. Clearly Bama has a big OL, but I would think a pro OL is not just bigger then pretty much any OL the Bama D has to face but far more athletic. They also have years to work together as a unit whereas the guys in college work together for 4 years at the absolute max. I am not saying it would be a 40 point blowout, but I think the pro team could grind their D down and really have their way with them in the 4th quarter. I would guess that Bama would lose like 98/100 times or something crazy like that.

I think I didnt explain what I meant well. Clearly Bama has a big OL, but I would think a pro OL is not just bigger then pretty much any OL the Bama D has to face but far more athletic. They also have years to work together as a unit whereas the guys in college work together for 4 years at the absolute max. I am not saying it would be a 40 point blowout, but I think the pro team could grind their D down and really have their way with them in the 4th quarter. I would guess that Bama would lose like 98/100 times or something crazy like that.

Yea, our defensive line is by far the weakest unit on defense.

Quick Giants practice report.

Ahmad Bradshaw had limited practice. Looks good to play.
Antrel Rolle has been cleared to play from his concussion. He practiced.
Kenny Phillips has practiced both days and will return to action Sunday. No word on what his role will be and how the Giants will work Stevie Brown, Rolle and Phillips into the mix (I'm wagering we'll see a return of the three safety sets Fewell loved in 2010/2011)

No word on the rest of the injured guys except for Cruz who did work today. No Chase, Baas or Jacquain Williams.

Also, Lawrence Tynes has won Special Teams player of the month.

bionic77

My God we are going to fuck the Giants up so badly this weekend.

I can't wait to see what face Eli makes when he sees actual penetration for the first time!

Striker

Just a couple weeks ago I scoffed at the idea of the Browns winning against NFL teams.

Never say never.
Why?

loss to Eagles by 1
loss to Bengals by 7
loss to Bills by 10
loss to Ravens by 7
loss to Giants by 14
loss to Colts by 4

Two losses by double digits, so it's not like they've been blown out. They're a decent team, but just carry a lot of youth offensively. They're better than KC and NYJ right now easily.

bionic77

Just a couple weeks ago I scoffed at the idea of the Browns winning against NFL teams.

Never say never.
Always listen to me.

I said more than a month ago that I was very worried about splitting with the Browns this year.

Now whether the Steelers are an actual NFL team is another question altogether!

jmdajr

My God we are going to fuck the Giants up so badly this weekend.

I can't wait to see what face Eli makes when he sees actual penetration for the first time!

Well everyone thinks the AFC blows, so it be nice if they could pull of the win.

It's sort of like Hawaii back in '07. They sure did look amazing and dominant until they played a real team (Georgia) in a bowl game. Any NFL team would make Alabama look like a bunch of lost and confused children, in my opinion.

Just realized that Tim Jennings had won NFC Defensive Player of the Month back in September...

..the fuck? The guy was always a horrible liability on the Colts.

Remember when Terrence Cody was a beast at Bama.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

He also kept his weight kind of in check at Bama (see also Andre Smith). Bama's system only requires a big body in the middle to free up the speedy linebackers and safeties to do their thing.

bionic77

Probably a smile as he sticks it in and breaks it off inside of Ike Taylor!
I am pretty sure that Eli is saving himself for his wife and not some washed up cornerback who could not catch a ball to save his life.

What would Wellington say if he was here? A freakin Giants fan taking a dump on Eli's honor and blessed virginity!

Truthfully our secondary is not going to offer much resistance. The Steelers need to hope for Eli and the Giants to just lay up a stink bomb. You guys are due for one of those games and can even use the Hurricane as an excuse.

When ever NFL versus NCAA comes up I think about how they used to play each other every year. To bad they dont still do this.

The Chicago Charities College All-Star Game was a preseason football tilt played annually (except 1974) from 1934 to 1976 between the National Football League champions and a team of star college seniors from the previous year. (There was one exception: The 1935 game involved the 1934 runner-up Chicago Bears instead of the champion New York Giants.) The game originally was a benefit for Chicago-area charities. Except for the 1943 and 1944 games which were held at Northwestern University, the game was always played at Soldier Field in Chicago. The first game, played before a crowd of 79,432 on August 31, 1934, was a scoreless tie between the all-stars and the Chicago Bears. The following year, a game that included future president Gerald Ford, the Bears won, 5-0. The first all-star win was in 1937 for a squad that featured Sammy Baugh. In the 1940s the games were competitive affairs that attracted large crowds to Soldier Field. But as the talent level of pro football improved, the all-stars had diminishing success. The last all-star win came in 1963, when a team coached by legendary quarterback Otto Graham beat the Green Bay Packers 20-17. By the 1970s, crowds for the event were dwindling. In addition, NFL coaches were reluctant to part with their new draftees (who would miss part of training camp) for a meaningless exhibition in which the players might be injured. A players' strike forced the cancellation of the 1974 game. The last game took place in a torrential downpour on July 23, 1976. Despite featuring stars such as Chuck Muncie, Mike Pruitt, Lee Roy Selmon and Jackie Slater, the collegians were hopelessly outclassed by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pittsburgh was leading 24-0 late in the third quarter when play was suspended due to the awful weather conditions. The game was not restarted. Chicago Tribune Charities Inc., the sponsor of the game, elected not to bring it back for 1977. A program from the 1941 game is shown here. Overall, the NFL teams won 31 of the 42 games. The all-stars won nine. Two games ended in ties.

LJ11

He also kept his weight kind of in check at Bama (see also Andre Smith). Bama's system only requires a big body in the middle to free up the speedy linebackers and safeties to do their thing.

He actually lost weight with the Ravens, limited player who beat up on scrubs at the college level. Bama beats up shitty talent, they've also dominated guys like the Pouncey brothers, destroyed those two.

Mosley's good in coverage but I don't see him attacking the run game like past Bama backers. Maybe if you combine recent Bama linebackers with Mosley's coverage ability, you'll have a quality NFL LB.

Edit: Smith was a slob at Bama if I recall, get the pics Rors!

He actually lost weight with the Ravens, limited player who beat up on scrubs at the college level. Bama beats up shitty talent, they've also dominated guys like the Pouncey brothers, destroyed those two.

Mosley's good in coverage but I don't see him attacking the run game like past Bama backers. Maybe if you combine recent Bama linebackers with Mosley's coverage ability, you'll have a quality NFL LB.

Edit: Smith was a slob at Bama if I recall, get the pics Rors!

Smith just thought he could get by on his size alone and he could most of the time at Bama but then he carried that same attitude to the NFL and was even more out of shape.

I like Mosley but I don't think he's NFL caliber yet either. Nico Johnson has some upside as well, the other guys are still fairly young. The secondary is the strength this season, allows them to send the LBs on a blitz early and often.

bionic77 said:
Truthfully our secondary is not going to offer much resistance.
I doubt ours will either, unfortunately.:(

The defensive line needs to have a big game and play at the level they have been. Canty being back is big right now and Kenny Phillips gives us a bit more coverage on the back end but we have to generate some turnovers if we want to win.

It's November though. We're due for a loss and we're at home BUT I think losing the Bengals game is more likely. The Giants won't take the Steelers lightly but they'll happily go to Cincinnati and lose to a team we should be able to beat handily.

squicken

I'm going to change teams to one that everyone hates

The life-isn't-fair award belongs to the Rams, who don't seem to get any letup. After playing the toughest schedule in the league last year, they've faced the second-most-difficult schedule in the league through seven weeks. After this point, they'll face the fifth-most-difficult schedule in the league. The Cardinals are in a similar boat, having played the fifth-most-difficult slate, and are about to play the second-toughest schedule over the rest of the year.

On the flip side, it's good to be a Steelers fan. Pittsburgh's schedule has been the seventh easiest in the league so far this season, and after today, Football Outsiders projects it to be the third easiest over the remaining nine weeks. That's not bad at all. If Pittsburgh's too cold for you, you might also consider cheering for the more temperate slate enjoyed by the Chargers, who have faced the third-friendliest schedule in football so far and will finish with the eighth-easiest grouping.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Why?

loss to Eagles by 1
loss to Bengals by 7
loss to Bills by 10
loss to Ravens by 7
loss to Giants by 14
loss to Colts by 4

Two losses by double digits, so it's not like they've been blown out. They're a decent team, but just carry a lot of youth offensively. They're better than KC and NYJ right now easily.

Always listen to me.

I said more than a month ago that I was very worried about splitting with the Browns this year.

Now whether the Steelers are an actual NFL team is another question altogether!

I feel the loooove!

Rorschach

Q2vpe.jpg

LJ11

Smith just thought he could get by on his size alone and he could most of the time at Bama but then he carried that same attitude to the NFL and was even more out of shape.

I like Mosley but I don't think he's NFL caliber yet either. Nico Johnson has some upside as well, the other guys are still fairly young. The secondary is the strength this season, allows them to send the LBs on a blitz early and often.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Mosley looked very good last year, doesn't seem like the same player, but he's getting way more reps now than he did a year ago so that could also be part of it. Easy to flash in a limited roll, he was injured though so that's also a factor.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Mosley looked very good last year, doesn't seem like the same player, but he's getting way more reps now than he did a year ago so that could also be part of it. Easy to flash in a limited roll, he was injured though so that's also a factor.

Yea, he did some good things last year but like you said, easy to show up big when you're talented and coming off the bench fresh.

Lester and Milliner are the two that I think are NFL ready on defense right now.

Cagey

Banned
All Giants fans feared this day would come...

Diehl reinserted at Right Tackle. For fuck's sake.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_david_diehl_will_retake.html

Locklear said he got the news Wednesday, from Giants offensive line coach Pat Flaherty: David Diehl will return to his starting right tackle job this week, and Locklear will return to jumbo tackle duty.

"He said, 'You're not being benched because of your play,' " Locklear said of his conversation with Flaherty. " 'You’ve been playing good; you’ve done everything we’ve asked. It’s jkst the guy can’t lose his job from minor injury.' I kind of expected it, I just didn’t know when it was going to happen. He’s been here 10 years, he’s started virtually every game. So I understand where they are coming from."

Locklear said Diehl is taking all the reps with the first team in practice this week, in preparation to start against the Steelers.

Diehl sprained his MCL in the Week 2 win against the Buccaneers and missed the next three games. Diehl returned for the 49ers game but has spent the past three games as the jumbo tackle -- the first time in his 10-year Giants career he's played but did not start. Locklear will now return to jumbo duty.

bionic77 said:
Who wins that matchup?
Anyone playing against David Diehl wins. Period.

I hate this decision and it illuminates the biggest fault I see with Coughlin as a coach. Sometimes, he's too loyal to his veterans. I understand the view that someone doesn't lose their job due to injury but how about due to performance? This offensive line has given up 6 sacks all season long. 2 (3?) of which were in the first game against Dallas and guess who gave up them up against Demarcus Ware? Diehl.

Coughlin gets the benefits of the doubt from me on many things but this is one of things instances where common sense needs to override a sense of loyalty.

Now that Kenny Phillips is back, hows about we put Stevie Brown on the bench, too!

bionic77

Anyone playing against David Diehl wins. Period.

I hate this decision and it illuminates the biggest fault I see with Coughlin as a coach. Sometimes, he's too loyal to his veterans. I understand the view that someone doesn't lose their job due to injury but how about due to performance? This offensive line has given up 6 sacks all season long. 2 (3?) of which were in the first game against Dallas and guess who gave up them up against Demarcus Ware? Diehl.

Coughlin gets the benefits of the doubt from me on many things but this is one of things instances where common sense needs to override a sense of loyalty.

Now that Kenny Phillips is back, hows about we put Stevie Brown on the bench, too!
Tomlin is the same way but honestly it is a good system to have. Frustrating as hell in the short term but works out much better in the long term.

You have to have the trust of the players. Once you lose that trust it becomes about the individual and not the team. That is a dark path that leads you to places like Cincinnati and Oakland.

yankeehater said:
Yes please!
I'm not advocating Kenny warm the bench either mind you. I think Kenny is one of the more underrated safeties out there but I'd take a combo of Kenny/Brown right now over more Rolle in coverage.;)

Top Bottom