• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2016 |OT| Clear Eyes, Full Salt, Will Lose

Someone didn't get the memo on Marvie's birthday.

Do you not check your emails? Why do you need to ruin Marvie's birthday like this?

I heard it on good authority that every time we said happy birthday Marvie that it just extends Joel Q's contract a month. He's gonna coach forever.

The joke is Joel Q who wishes to stop coaching when he's 105 or something but is kept alive to honor this NHLGAF clause.

Happy Birthday, Marvie.

Marvie_3

Banned
I heard it on good authority that every time we said happy birthday Marvie that it just extends Joel Q's contract a month. He's gonna coach forever.

The joke is Joel Q who wishes to stop coaching when he's 105 or something but is kept alive to honor this NHLGAF clause.

Happy Birthday, Marvie.
:(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I'd look back and see what the standings were at Thanksgiving to see how true the conventional wisdom of needing to be in playoff position at Thanksgiving turned out this season.

These would be your playoff matchups with the Thankgsiving Day standings:

Red Wings @ Canadiens (Presidents' Trophy)
Bruins @ Senators
Islanders @ Rangers
Penguins @ Capitals

Wild @ Stars
Predators @ Blues
Blackhawks @ Kings
Canucks @ Sharks

Notable: the Philadelphia Flyers had the same number of points as the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Ducks and Panthers both had just one more than that.

zroid

Banned
Thought I'd look back and see what the standings were at Thanksgiving to see how true the conventional wisdom of needing to be in playoff position at Thanksgiving turned out this season.

These would be your playoff matchups with the Thankgsiving Day standings:

Red Wings @ Canadiens (Presidents' Trophy)
Bruins @ Senators
Islanders @ Rangers
Penguins @ Capitals

Wild @ Stars
Predators @ Blues
Blackhawks @ Kings
Canucks @ Sharks

Notable: the Philadelphia Flyers had the same number of points as the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Ducks and Panthers both had just one more than that.
The number is like 80% right? If so that almost nails it, 25% of these teams missed the playoffs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The number is like 80% right? If so that almost nails it, 25% of these teams missed the playoffs.

It's in that ballpark, I believe, yeah. Really helped this year by the top 4 of the Metropolitan being relatively stable and the Central being so much better than the Pacific, really limiting the number of teams that could compete for the Western wild card.

Calamari41

41 > 38

It was mentioned in the OC Register or LA Times today that the Ducks were one point removed from dead last in the league on December 29th.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It was mentioned in the OC Register or LA Times today that the Ducks were one point removed from dead last in the league on December 29th.

MSG is actually showing the Ducks-Rangers game from just before Xmas that was the turning point of the season for both teams right now, and they mentioned the same thing. They also pointed out that they were simultaneously 5 points away from home ice advantage in the playoffs.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?

What Ducks have done this season has been amazing. I'd knew they'd be back, but snatching the Division at the last second is pretty crazy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What Ducks have done this season has been amazing. I'd knew they'd be back, but snatching the Division at the last second is pretty crazy.
A testament to Boudreau's coaching. I remember reading a quote from him a while back that was something like "I knew we couldn't score for whatever reasons so we had to limit our goals against as much as we could until the guys could get their confidence and scoring touch back" and explains why they finished with the fewest goals allowed over the season. I want the Ducks to win just for him, dude deserves a cup at this point.

A testament to Boudreau's coaching. I remember reading a quote from him a while back that was something like "I knew we couldn't score for whatever reasons so we had to limit our goals against as much as we could until the guys could get their confidence and scoring touch back" and explains why they finished with the fewest goals allowed over the season. I want the Ducks to win just for him, dude deserves a cup at this point.

I hope they can win this for you.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
reddit went through their pre-season predictions thread

O0iE4qb.jpg

lol

Calamari41

41 > 38

Seriously. The team has let him down the last couple of years, playing like champions and then coming out like limp dicks in the clutch.

KingBroly

Banned
Everyone thinking about what they want instead of what they need.

Fortunately, for all of you, I know EXACTLY what you need.

for...

ALEXANDER OVECHKIN TO RAISE HIS FIRST STANLEY CUP FOR THE 2015-2016 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION WASHINGTON CAPITALS!!!

ZeroGravity

Everyone thinking about what they want instead of what they need.

Fortunately, for all of you, I know EXACTLY what you need.

for...

ALEXANDER OVECHKIN TO RAISE HIS FIRST STANLEY CUP FOR THE 2015-2016 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION WASHINGTON CAPITALS!!!
Are you actively trying to become the new Tabris?

Dallas over Minnesota
St. Louis over Chicago (I may regret this pick. I'm teetering.)
Anaheim over Nashville
LA over San Jose (although I'd prefer the Sharks)

Florida
over NYI
Detroit over Tampa
Washington over Philly
Pittsburgh over NYR

Uhh.. Sharks > Kings

Ducks in 5-...

Ducks in 5

Ducks in 5

Ducks in 5

Ducks/Preds: Ducks in five

YEAH REAL FUNNY GUYS

I can't bare watching the Panthers and the Islanders go against each other :( the two Nice and Lovely Boys of the East should be in the ECF dammit.

Echoing the No Hawks and No Kings sentiments too. Suck a fuck, both of ya's. But not you Marvie, you're good and nice and cool.

How good are the predators. Everyone choosing the Ducks to win makes me wonder. I have bad memories losing to them in 2011. Anaheim had Ray Emery though

Yeah but we had that fuckin' SICK Babby goal though. Also we had Dan whatsisface get pulled in favour of Emery. Fuck, he was shit.

The reinforcements are beginning to arrive!

JDykZ2B.gif

ON MY SIGNAL - UNLEASH HELL!

I am on orange hype train.

Docks vs Flyera finals please.

caekey~ <3

Disclaimer: AnimeGAF rarely engages in "best girl" and "waifu" debates.

But they are still... *adjusts glasses*...*looks at paper*... a buncha weebs. thank's.

Tears of joy ;')

I'm so goddamn stoked at what happened. I was ready for Matthews and for Ducks-age to make the Offseason thread. I had lost hope.

PillarEN

Dylan Larkin jerseys will be in the top 5 now that Datsyuk will no longer be around. Gotta grab a name that will stick around for years.

ZeroGravity

For those wondering, yes Namestninkov and Marchessault are practicing, neither took 1st rotation line rushes
Oh my god Cooper is actually going to play Condra and Blunden over these two.

BUT VETERAN PRESENCE!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fleury can't seem to catch a break with the beat writers today.
Dave Molinari &#8207;@MolinariPG 27m 27 minutes ago
Fleury stick-handled a puck effectively a couple of minutes ago. Possibly a sign that he isn't back to his old self just yet.

Curufinwe

Gee, that's sad.

It was only two years ago that a Pittsburgh scrub named Jayson Megna knocked Mason out of his last regular season game and the first three playoff games against the Rangers. Since Megna now plays for NY maybe they can call him up to take some runs at MAF's brittle head.

Uhh.. Sharks > Kings

Ducks in 5-...

YEAH REAL FUNNY GUYS

*snip*

Yeah but we had that fuckin' SICK Babby goal though. Also we had Dan whatsisface get pulled in favour of Emery. Fuck, he was shit.

I'm so goddamn stoked at what happened. I was ready for Matthews and for Ducks-age to make the Offseason thread. I had lost hope.

I forgot we had Dan Ellis. Damn that Hiller vertigo.

DAT Bobby Ryan goal was a beaut. Forget that we lost it in overtime right after.

http://youtu.be/2x2mrhqybY0

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like this is the Rangers lineup for Game 1:

Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
E.Staal-Hayes-Fast
Glass-Moore-Stalberg

M.Staal-Girardi
Yandle-Klein
Skjei-Boyle

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
McDonagh came out at the end of practice in a non-contact jersey again. This time skating with a lefty stick, two-handed, though. Some very light stickhandling. That's a pretty major step in the right direction in the last 24 hours. I'd be surprised to see him in Game 2, but it wouldn't be shocking to possibly see him at MSG some time next week.

Parch

Stuff teams would never admit, but...

Tampa has to be seriously bummed and unmotivated to go into the playoffs without Stamkos. Pittsburgh in a similar situation with Malkin, but they've got Sid and probably not as concerned as Tampa.

What are the odds that Ovechkin is tanking the first round so he can go play at the Worlds? Of course he'd never admit that, but I wouldn't bet against a Philly upset.

St. Louis gaining the rep of being first round fodder has to be on the back of their minds. Matching up against the Blackhawks isn't going to make that mindset disappear.

San Jose is having similar thoughts. Their playoff performance has been underwhelming and facing the Kings isn't going to help.

Doubt can be your biggest enemy.

imBask

Banned
is that why Ovechkin wasted his chance last year
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that
and the year before that

Looks more and more likely that Parise might be done for the year.

Some spine/back issues started in January, went away, and flared up the last week of the season.

Looks like it'll be even easier for the Stars now.

iLLmAtlc

We shouldn't lump all of Ovechkin's playoff years together because of how weak the Southeast was. Those teams' records were probably way inflated.

This year tho only 1 team in the Metropolitan was below .500 and they steamrolled their way to the President's Trophy. It's a different caliber of team compared to those old ones.

Top Bottom