• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs 2016 |OT| Clear Eyes, Full Salt, Will Lose

imBask

Banned
Ovechkin 70 pts in 72 playoff games. Needs to do better tho.

ovi-cup1.gif

i feel this is Washington's year to win the Stanley Cup. Ovi's been waiting for ages.

I want a Stars vs Capitals SCF. I'm getting sick of Chicago and LA in it every year.

Alucard

Banned
These are going to be Sidney Crosby's playoffs, friends. All that "Has he still got it?" talk at the start of the season has fueled the fire. Dude's been a much more mature player over the past 5 months.

And Ovi's not winning a Cup, bros. He's joining Adam Oates, Pat Lafontaine, Marcel Dionne, and Peter Stastny - great players who just never got to taste that final victory.

Actually, wish him all the best and hope he does get a Cup eventually. Just not this year.

zroid

Banned
I would like to see Sharks, Blues, Caps, and Isles in the conference finals

the #EndInfantileChokerNarratives bracket

zroid

Banned
It's odd that Rogers is giving a higher broadcast priority to DETvsTB than PITvsNYR

there are a lot of Penguins lifelongs in Canada

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
These are going to be Sidney Crosby's playoffs, friends. All that "Has he still got it?" talk at the start of the season has fueled the fire. Dude's been a much more mature player over the past 5 months.

And Ovi's not winning a Cup, bros. He's joining Adam Oates, Pat Lafontaine, Marcel Dionne, and Peter Stastny - great players who just never got to taste that final victory.

Actually, wish him all the best and hope he does get a Cup eventually. Just not this year.

Crosby, the Hagelin line, and Letang are my major concerns going into this series. That I'm including Crosby is saying something because quite frankly in the last few years I haven't sweated Crosby in the slightest going into our series against him. Usually I'm more worried about Malkin, who I generally consider the more dangerous all-around player this time of year (for what it's worth, I also think Malkin's absence this time around may be much more impactful than people seem to be expecting if we can find a way to take away the Hagelin line's speed). Sid has looked different down the stretch this year, though, and these Penguins in general aren't the same frail, easily shook team that we've seen the last two years. I attribute that largely to Crosby's change in attitude. He is the captain, after all.

Last year especially I was extra confident going into the series because I knew from the year before that we could spook the Pens into submission, and that's more or less what happened after we scored 30 seconds into the series to set the tone. I don't think that's going to happen this time around. We have to beat them on the ice this time, not in their heads.

Slurmer

Banned
Totally didn't expect to be here this year lol.

Interesting to see most calling for Flyers - Caps to be close considering the on-paper mismatch. Though I guess that has less to do with feelings of Philly having a legit shot and more to do with the Caps penchant for playing long series and choking in the playoffs.

Alucard

Banned
Crosby, the Hagelin line, and Letang are my major concerns going into this series. That I'm including Crosby is saying something because quite frankly in the last few years I haven't sweated Crosby in the slightest going into our series against him. Usually I'm more worried about Malkin, who I generally consider the more dangerous all-around player this time of year (for what it's worth, I also think Malkin's absence this time around may be much more impactful than people seem to be expecting if we can find a way to take away the Hagelin line's speed). Sid has looked different down the stretch this year, though, and these Penguins in general aren't the same frail, easily shook team that we've seen the last two years. I attribute that largely to Crosby's change in attitude. He is the captain, after all.

Last year especially I was extra confident going into the series because I knew from the year before that we could spook the Pens into submission, and that's more or less what happened after we scored 30 seconds into the series to set the tone. I don't think that's going to happen this time around. We have to beat them on the ice this time, not in their heads.

Henrik is the X factor for me. If the Pens can get to him like they have done this year, this could be a surprisingly quick series. But you just never know in the playoffs. I love the Pens on paper this year, and I love how they've been playing and wrecking teams, as well as getting those close victories, but it doesn't mean much if the young guys get stage fright, they run into a hot goalie, etc.

TUSR

Banned
How many offers over the last couple of years do you think Ovi has received from the KHL?

I'm sure he's ready to take off right now and leave Parch.

zroid

Banned
How various pre-season projections compared to actual results:

Cf4BCk6UYAAxlgO.jpg:large

OSCAR is from hockeyviz.com
WAR is from war-on-ice.com
VUKOTA is from hockey prospectus

overall Oscar was the best

Vegas really nailed the Leafs tho :lol

Socreges

Banned
Team amenities, standard of team care, is much higher in the NHL as well.
But to his point, Ovechkin would get MORE money in the KHL and have a MUCH lower cost of living. If money and mother Russia were his primary drivers, he wouldn't be here. Professional sports in North America, though, is where the prestige is. It's hard to be regarded as one of the best in the game unless you play in the best league.

I know I'm meant to be doing work right now, but reading Players Tribune articles is something so entirely different from any other hockey media out there.

I bloody love it.

I know I'm meant to be doing work right now, but reading Players Tribune articles is something so entirely different from any other hockey media out there.

I bloody love it.

There's great articles for any sport. But Hockey Ones are always fantastic. I forget who the player was but it was an article on an ex-NHLer journey to the KHL that had me in stitches.

There's great articles for any sport. But Hockey Ones are always fantastic. I forget who the player was but it was an article on an ex-NHLer journey to the KHL that had me in stitches.

Former Penguin and Anaheim Duck Ryan Whitney.

Traded after he returned from the Olympics to Edmonton. Didn't seem to like us for that.

Parch

It's odd that Rogers is giving a higher broadcast priority to DETvsTB than PITvsNYR

there are a lot of Penguins lifelongs in Canada
Yeah, disappointing choice. CBC has by far the broader coverage, but not surprising that Rogers choses to have the more interesting series on their channel.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What are the odds that Ovechkin is tanking the first round so he can go play at the Worlds? Of course he'd never admit that, but I wouldn't bet against a Philly upset.
Legitimately one of the dumbest things I've read in NHL-Gaf in a long time, I assume you're related to Don Cherry somehow

zroid

Banned
Man, if Jones outplays Quick in that series, and San Jose wins, Kings fans are going to be sooooooo salty. I'm gonna love it.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Really looking forward to this Kings/Sharks matchup.

Jonathan Quick is so good but so is Martin Jones. Revenge for the reverse sweep two years ago, perhaps too. Kings players injuring Sharks. Joe Thornton trying to knee Dustin Brown

That series was nuts. Quick going after Thornton, brawls at the end of every game etc.

Q slotting Mashinter on the 3rd line right now instead of Weise or Panik. Ehrhoff still scratched.

Fire Quenneville.

But your facing st louis you have got to have your grit...

I can never figure out how Q decides his lines in the playoffs, this might be the first year since 2011 where the roster isn't good enough to win on pure talent. Than again without Keith maybe he figures game 1 is a wash so screw it

This is patently false as our last few playoff runs show.

If I had a dollar for every time I read about how we needed grit the last few years before we won a series...

I was being sarcastic, though i guess i didn't convey that well, but I completely agree that its a BS excuse. Remember when Q kept playing Scott and than Bollig

Top Bottom