• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata now on GamePass

Check this thread. You see people who are hating on the game and hated it before they even played it, trying to justify their preconceived hateboners. It doesn't make sense, but that is just the reality of the situation.
I see people criticising it, the aesthetic, story, etc. Which is fair enough, in my opinion. Could be someone on my ignore list is trolling.......hang on.

EDIT yep. My quality control is exceptional.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My 'pre conceived notions' regarding the game were because people rave about it, calling it game of the year, generation, etc. I thought it was okay, nothing more. Not sure why anyone would go to the bother of getting the game, only to then go into it looking for reasons to hate it. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
You should go in to a game base on what you see and play not from other people. for other people who enjoyed the game is game generation but it doesn't mean you gonna like the game. There are people who consider RDR2 best game ever made but I know my own taste, I know its not my type of game regardless how much other people praise the game.

You should go in to a game base on what you see and play not from other people. for other people who enjoyed the game is game generation but it doesn't mean you gonna like the game. There are people who consider RDR2 best game ever made but I know my own taste, I know its not my type of game regardless how much other people praise the game.
I research games before going into them, including this one, but word of mouth is also important. And a couple of people who I generally trust raved about it. As I said, I found it to be okay, but bowed out around the 10 hour mark. No big deal.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I research games before going into them, but word of mouth is also important. And a couple of people who I generally trust raved about it. As I said, I found it to be okay, but bowed out around the 10 hour mark. No big deal.
Then the game just not be your cop of tea and thats fine, my issue here is people calling others "fanboy" for enjoying the game.

nowhat

your cop of tea
article-1206446-060E68FB000005DC-778_468x438.jpg

GHG

The porting issue put me off the pc version.

Do either of you know if this works well?

NVM, found the comments section and looks like its still a mess.

It will still work and perform better than the console versions.

Doesn't suddenly turn it into a "good" port but make of that what you will. This is a good guide to getting it running well on PC:

Batiman

Banned
Beat it on gamepass a couple days ago. Just really mediocre IMO. I honestly wasn’t enjoying my time playing it but for some reason I played through it until the end, which I never do nowadays. So I guess that means something......

I usually agree with the hype I see on net about good word of mouth of games but this one really confuses me. There’s nothing really standout or special throughout the whole game. Just painfully average and boring most of the time. This is near the bottom of my list when it comes to platinum games.

cireza

Beat it on gamepass a couple days ago. Just really mediocre IMO. I honestly wasn’t enjoying my time playing it but for some reason I played through it until the end, which I never do nowadays. So I guess that means something......

I usually agree with the hype I see on net about good word of mouth of games but this one really confuses me. There’s nothing really standout or special throughout the whole game. Just painfully average and boring most of the time. This is near the bottom of my list when it comes to platinum games.
But did you understand the story ? Or do you even care about elaborated stories in your games ?

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
But did you understand the story ? Or do you even care about elaborated stories in your games ?
Wasn’t really a fan of the story and I honestly didn’t pay much attention to it. I liked the concept though. I wasn’t interested enough and if I explained it to you you’d probably say I didn’t understand shit lol. But I’m sort of like that with most platinum games. I love both bayonettas but hated the story and cutscenes.
I think most people just stopped playing after Route A and they think they beat the game.
What’s route A? I stopped after the final boss and credits? Is there more?

Also really disappointed with the amount of bosses and the bosses themselves. There was like what 5-6 bosses?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Wasn’t really a fan of the story and I honestly didn’t pay much attention to it. I liked the concept though. I wasn’t interested enough and if I explained it to you you’d probably say I didn’t understand shit lol. But I’m sort of like that with most platinum games. I love both bayonettas but hated the story and cutscenes.

What’s route A? I stopped after the final boss and credits? Is there more?

Also really disappointed with the amount of bosses and the bosses themselves. There was like what 5-6 bosses?
dwCWWgi.png

There is more...Taro likes to put end credits with each routes but finishing Route A basically you only finished first chapter.

Batiman

Banned
dwCWWgi.png

There is more...Taro likes to put end credits with each routes but finishing Route A basically you only finished first chapter.
Maybe I’ll return to it and check it out. I guess I went in expecting more of the action game then an rpg.

Danjin44

Maybe I’ll return to it and check it out. I guess I went in expecting more of the action game then an rpg.
Look, PlatinumGames made the combat much smoother than pervious games but this is very much of Yoko Taro game and they are story heavy games. So if you don’t care for the story then you not gonna enjoy this game.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Overrated anime shit with a fluffed up score and reception because it was once a PS4 exclusive.

It’s a c-tier game At best. Now Xbox players can see how full of shit Sony fanboys and the review industry is...

qWp23Us.jpg

All I read there was words from an unimaginative mind...

Because no one in their right mind would take a brilliant game and boil it down to console war bullshit.

kiphalfton

Not on PC gamepass? I guess this version will be forever broken...

It's no wonder why microsoft included PC game pass with ultimate game pass membership... cuz it sucks and doesnt get half the games on xbox one game pass.

Seriously, if you're like me and only have game pass on PC (I had an X1X as well, but sold it), then there's no point subbing.

There's no reason why PC shouldn't be getting the games as well, if the games were released on PC. Think I've missed out on DMC 5 and now this (and probably lots of other games).

Last edited:

cireza

Platinum Games was just the executives for the development part, story wise it is not a Platinum Game, it is a Yoko Taro game. Nier Automata is first and foremost a narrative game, the gameplay and game-design is not particularly interesting, and people going in thinking they will get Bayonetta are entirely wrong.

If you came simply for the gameplay, then yes, it is a pretty average game.

VAL0R

Banned
It doesn't, and very few games come close to its exploration of philosophical themes. Especially not without descending into pretension.
The persistent undercurrent of dark humor and the way the narrative embraces the specific nature of videogames elevates it way beyond most titles.

The great thing about Nier's story and construction is that its a game story, it isn't trying to ape literary or cinematic convention.
OK bro

VAL0R

Banned
You played way more than the "first chapter". Playthrough B is as 9S and his combat kind of sucks (it's mostly hacking mini-games). You literally go through the story you just played AGAIN through his eyes, which isn't all that different or interesting. Then the next playthrough C (or whatever) you get a new character who is essentially a palette swap of 2B. You go about doing the same kinds of things in the same places (mostly) where A and B took place.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Another game got devalued. It's not my cup of tea, but someone might want to play this:
Link
78388272-9dd4-4dec-b715-7d1f3044afbc.jpg

I think it's better they at least get some money from the service rather than getting zero money on a used copy.

If game pass devalued games I'm sure we wouldn't see them there.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think it's better they at least get some money from the service rather than getting zero money on a used copy.

If game pass devalued games I'm sure we wouldn't see them there.
Again, it's a joke, based on what people on the internet saying about GamePass. I obviously don't agree, but I feel like you have to spice post in here with some edge, otherwise you ended up with empty thread.

cireza

You played way more than the "first chapter". Playthrough B is as 9S and his combat kind of sucks (it's mostly hacking mini-games). You literally go through the story you just played AGAIN through his eyes, which isn't all that different or interesting. Then the next playthrough C (or whatever) you get a new character who is essentially a palette swap of 2B. You go about doing the same kinds of things in the same places (mostly) where A and B took place.
So story A B and C are the same ? Are you serious ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Is Game Pass only a means to come into topics about games and justify trolling about them since you were able to play them (without even giving them a chance to begin with) ?

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

VAL0R

Banned
So story A B and C are the same ? Are you serious ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Is Game Pass only a means to come into topics about games and justify trolling about them since you were able to play them (without even giving them a chance to begin with) ?
Read again, but take a breath first. I said playthrough B is "as 9S and his combat kind of sucks (it's mostly hacking mini-games). You literally go through the story you just played AGAIN through his eyes, which isn't all that different or interesting." Do you deny this? And regarding C "you get a new character who is essentially a palette swap of 2B. You go about doing the same kinds of things in the same places (mostly) where A and B took place. " Playthrough C has a new story, a continuation from A and B, yeah, running around the same hideously textured postage stamp of a ruined city. You do the same kinds of things, in the same places (for the most part). But yes, the story is different, I get it. I never said story C was the same as A and B, did I?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its your loss if you don't get as much out of the game as many of us do. Don't kid yourself, there is no upside to it.

Your feelings aren't going to alter our opinions, and we're not going to congratulate you for not liking something we like!

Not sure why you're still posting in this thread. We get the message :D

VAL0R

Banned
Some of the boss battles are awesome. I do like that little robot drone and the combat and swordplay can be rewarding at times. I'm not totally down on the game. I said I'd give it like a 7ish. But the story is very weak and overacted, imo. Very hammy, in a common Japanese style. It's OK if you think it's Shakespeare. We can move on.

VAL0R

Banned
Its your loss if you don't get as much out of the game as many of us do. Don't kid yourself, there is no upside to it.

Your feelings aren't going to alter our opinions, and we're not going to congratulate you for not liking something we like!

Not sure why you're still posting in this thread. We get the message :D
Because people continue to interact with what I am saying and it's a discussion board. To discuss things. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

cireza

Read again, but take a breath first. I said playthrough B is "as 9S and his combat kind of sucks (it's mostly hacking mini-games). You literally go through the story you just played AGAIN through his eyes, which isn't all that different or interesting." Do you deny this? And regarding C "you get a new character who is essentially a palette swap of 2B. You go about doing the same kinds of things in the same places (mostly) where A and B took place. " Playthrough C has a new story, a continuation from A and B, yeah, running around the same hideously textured postage stamp of a ruined city. You do the same kinds of things, in the same places (for the most part). But yes, the story is different, I get it. I never said story C was the same as A and B, did I?
Yeah sure, and your guessing of the ending was spot on as well :messenger_ok:

This thread made the game sound shit - how long is one "playthrough"? so it only get's going after three playthroughs?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Because people continue to interact with what I am saying and it's a discussion board. To discuss things. :messenger_grinning:

There's nothing to discuss though. You aren't justifying your opinion and in the process are selling short a really interesting little game.

Nier Automata is not a AAA title, so obviously it cannot compete on scale and spectacle with games with budgets vastly higher. What it can do though is take more creative chances, and do some interesting and cool stuff.

This Nier Automata does. In spades.

iHaunter

The thing is I no longer have the patience for multiple playthroughs just to get the ending. I can no longer tolerate nor handle it

It's from different characters. It's not like you're playing the same exact game 5 times over from start to finish.

Terenty

This thread made the game sound shit - how long is one "playthrough"? so it only get's going after three playthroughs?
If you look at character designs and dont think "this looks like the most cringe anime shit ever" then go for it. Maybe you will even like the story full of anime tropes and stuff. Make no mistake this is anime dialed up to 11

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing soundtrack and gameplay/combat. Visuals were fine but mostly dull and bland. Story and characters were solid but didn't pull me in. Overall though, a great 8.5/10.

Zimmy68

I couldn’t wait to try this on GamePass. I played about 40 minutes and one of the hundred pink orbs somehow killed me from behind.
The game then wanted me to start over, all the way from the start.
I couldn’t delete the game fast enough.
I can’t stand games that have zero respect for my time.
Make it difficult, space out the save points, I get it.

But wave after wave of the BS robotic statutes? I was like when is the next part come up?
Not for me.

If you're curious and you have gamepass why don't you just play it?

Because having game pass means that I also have 100+ other games competing for my time.

If you look at character designs and dont think "this looks like the most cringe anime shit ever" then go for it. Maybe you will even like the story full of anime tropes and stuff. Make no mistake this is anime dialed up to 11

I like a good anime but like all good animes this game sounds like it literally has massive stretches of rerun repeat filler .

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I couldn’t wait to try this on GamePass. I played about 40 minutes and one of the hundred pink orbs somehow killed me from behind.
The game then wanted me to start over, all the way from the start.
I couldn’t delete the game fast enough.
I can’t stand games that have zero respect for my time.
Make it difficult, space out the save points, I get it.

But wave after wave of the BS robotic statutes? I was like when is the next part come up?
Not for me.

The game has sufficient respect for your time that you can actually buy all the trophies/achievements with in-game currency!

Past the intro save points are plentiful, its just the initial/tutorial area that requires you not to die. Super easy so long as you don't get brave and stick it on a high difficulty setting. Hell on low difficulty you get auto-chips that basically make you invincible.

KiNeMz

Banned

There are parts of the 9s gameplay that made my brain supernova. its supposed to be as it is. Thats the point. But you really need to applying the 9s game play component to everything.

Zimmy68

The game has sufficient respect for your time that you can actually buy all the trophies/achievements with in-game currency!

Past the intro save points are plentiful, its just the initial/tutorial area that requires you not to die. Super easy so long as you don't get brave and stick it on a high difficulty setting. Hell on low difficulty you get auto-chips that basically make you invincible.
I almost had no clue if I could ever save, the way the game was going.
I started the game, there was a long StarFox section. Made it through that. - Surely, there would be a checkpoint?
Next, on rail section with different types of enemies, learning their attacks and moves. Check
Next, you level up and they explain some of your powers and control, Check.
Now, they throw what I feel is a boss at you, I am able to defeat it. There has to be a check point, no, why not?
Then, I am still 15 - 20 minutes into the same enemies, now with more armor, I defeat them, my health is getting lower.
Everything clear?, Nope here comes hundreds of death orbs off screen for more fun!
At this point I am not thinking about enjoying the game, I am worried if I am going to lose all this progress.
I don't suck at the game (I think).
It looks like they went out of their way to do 2 things, no save points AND no check points.
I'm not sure if it was meant to artificially extend the game time, but they lost me.

Top Bottom