• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam Page/Pre-Order Live, releasing March 17th

killatopak

Can't you guys see?

The game is capped at 1080 yet they still recommend a gtx 980.

Wtf does this mean? Unoptimized as shit?

PC demographic loves Japanese games, they generally sell like hot cakes.
Think one day someone should collaborate some data why that is, I think the high profilleration of purpose built gaming PCs in Europe and the general affection of the European market for more niche Japanese games (including those with anime artsyle) definitely plays a role.

Still unsure whether or not I should get the game for my laptop or buy a Japanese physical copy to bring back home to my PS4, CPU is not a problem here but my GPU is the equivalent of a GTX 770 so I feel pretty uncomfortable with it being in the minimum requirements...

tuxfool

Banned
Can't you guys see?

It should be noted that on the Pro it still drops frames in quite a few places, and this is at 1080p.

We don't know if it is due to CPU bottlenecking or if it due to poor GPU utilization. A 980 would put it in the same ballpark as the Pro's GPU.

napata

It should be noted that on the Pro it still drops frames in quite a few places, and this is at 1080p.

We don't know if it is due to CPU bottlenecking or if it due to poor GPU utilization. A 980 would put it in the same ballpark as the Pro's GPU.

A 980 is a good 20-30% more powerful than what's in the Pro.

Grief.exe

ZH14KM7.gif

Can't you guys see?

We will know on launch day, or possibly a little before if we are lucky, but over inflated specifications are common, especially from Platinum.

fvng

Are we all going to ignore the fact that a Wheatley Pod for the Steam version would have been fucking amazing. Someone please suggest this to Taro Yoko.

1765523-wheatley.jpg

stay away from Steam discussions, some asshole just named himself a spoiler and spoiled one of the endings, ill prob forget by the time i play due to selective memory, but im warning you guys

fvng

Atelier Firis vs Nier regional price difference for Turkey. Nier 54$, Firis 24$.

steamwrkk2.png

I say to fuck off SE, will support TK. (hope for good port)

Is 24$ standard price for all new releases?

I realize our tastes might be different but I would rather pay double for a new Nier game than half for a generic Atelier game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I realize our tastes might be different but I would rather pay double for a new Nier game than half for a generic Atelier game.

Standard, no. The publishers releasing USD$60 games tend to "fine-tune" their region-specific pricing (i.e. increase it).

MUnited83

For you.
iRnbieV.jpg

KT can fuck right off with its stupid pricing just like SQE.
I don't see what the stupid pricing is here? Sophie was half of the original price because it was a old port. Firis is full price. I'm really not seeing the issue here. 18$ seems pretty damn fair for that.

I'd love to pre-order it, but I'm waiting for the physical version, which was confirmed by Square-Enix France. Not only price will be cheaper, but it'll be physical with a Steam code.

TheTux

I'd love to pre-order it, but I'm waiting for the physical version, which was confirmed by Square-Enix France. Not only price will be cheaper, but it'll be physical with a Steam code.

Is it confirmed anywhere that it contains a Steam code?

I can already preorder the physical version from GameStop IT or Amazon IT but it doesn't say if it comes with the preorder bonuses and if it has a Steam key.

JaseC

Is it confirmed anywhere that it contains a Steam code?

I can already preorder the physical version from GameStop IT or Amazon IT but it doesn't say if it comes with the preorder bonuses and if it has a Steam key.

A Steam key is included; the only PC SKU on Squeenix's own store is the Steam version. I'll buy you a key myself if I'm wrong. ;)

iavi

Got my pre-order in.

The clusterfuck up until the official release date announcement was a mess, but the 17th isn't bad at all.

Can't wait to experience some more nier and dat OST

30: no questions asked
35: sure why not
40: after dicking us around on the release date for weeks? I'm going to have to wait for a sale.

and that's the cheaper price too! crazy.

JaseC

hyped for nier, but recent rumors only 1080p is kinda bummer

That rumour was born from one of the devs saying back in August that the then-and-presumably-still-current plan was to use the configuration of the PS4 version as the utmost base of the PC version and perhaps scale down a few steps to account for older or otherwise less powerful systems. Platinum's two most recent PC releases (TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan and Transformers: Devestation), while lacking proper arbitrary resolution support, both natively support resolutions above 1080p, so I'm fairly confident Nier 2 will continue that trend if not improve upon it.

No. Recent... sociopolitical conditions have caused the value of the Turkish Lira to plummet (there was a 5-month stretch where the $/TL rate broke records daily), so a $60 game comes around to 240 TL now. Steam does thankfully use an older exchange rate (I think it's 1.8, going by 10$ games, but not sure- it might be arbitrary) but Steam also has deals with the local distributor(s) so most AAA games get shafted to something between 220-280 TL. That said, the minimum wage is about 1400 TL here, so that's still quite a lot to pay for a game here (and as a result, local bestsellers are always games that can be played for 100s of hours).

Standard, no. The publishers releasing USD$60 games tend to "fine-tune" their region-specific pricing (i.e. increase it).

Pretty much. (Didn't know you were from Turkey too :D )

JaseC

Steam does thankfully use an older exchange rate (I think it's 1.8, going by 10$ games, but not sure- it might be arbitrary) but Steam also has deals with the local distributor(s) so most AAA games get shafted to something between 220-280 TL.

It's the publishers that are responsible for the inconsistency as they have full control over the pricing of their products and the recommended prices Steam spits out are entirely based on the nominated USD price -- e.g. Steam would recommend the same prices for a USD$60 game from an indie studio and, say, GTA6. In other words, it's not Valve's responsibility to ensure that publishers aren't stepping on the toes of any distributors/retailers they're affiliated with.

Oh, I'm not. I just pay close attention to and (tend to) remember Steam-related things, haha.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't see what the stupid pricing is here? Sophie was half of the original price because it was a old port. Firis is full price. I'm really not seeing the issue here. 18$ seems pretty damn fair for that.
It's 5 months (almost half a year) old now and it's note like it was released 1 or 2 weeks after console version (released Nov 6 last year). Anyway, I see no reason to buy the game for twise as much money now, better to buy Gust bundle with 2 games for even lower price.

JaseC

It's 5 months (almost half a year) old now and it's note like it was released 1 or 2 weeks after console version (released Nov 6 last year).

Sure, but his point is that, unlike Nier 2, Firis actually uses Valve's recommended region-specific pricing. It may be priced high for a belated port, but no particular country has been given the short end of the stick.

fvng

No. Recent... sociopolitical conditions have caused the value of the Turkish Lira to plummet (there was a 5-month stretch where the $/TL rate broke records daily), so a $60 game comes around to 240 TL now. Steam does thankfully use an older exchange rate (I think it's 1.8, going by 10$ games, but not sure- it might be arbitrary) but Steam also has deals with the local distributor(s) so most AAA games get shafted to something between 220-280 TL. That said, the minimum wage is about 1400 TL here, so that's still quite a lot to pay for a game here (and as a result, local bestsellers are always games that can be played for 100s of hours).

ah thats really interesting, thanks for filling me in. i could see how that's frustrating

MUnited83

For you.
It's 5 months (almost half a year) old now and it's note like it was released 1 or 2 weeks after console version (released Nov 6 last year). Anyway, I see no reason to buy the game for twise as much money now, better to buy Gust bundle with 2 games for even lower price.

Nah. The western version of Atelier Firis is releasing at the same time in PS4, PC and Vita. You can't expect localizations to release at a discounted price.
Sure, but his point is that, unlike Nier 2, Firis actually uses Valve's recommended region-specific pricing. It may be priced high for a belated port, but no particular country has been given the short end of the stick.
It's not even a belated port, it's getting released at the same time the western PS4 and Vita versions do.

Blitzhex

Yeah but all of their other games are still on Steam, Nier is the only one missing >~<

That's very nice of you but I will wait and see, they could add this later but if they don't I'll buy an international code from Green Man or something.

yeah as i said in my comment this could work and i hope it does

if you try it please tell us how it goes since this is the only way i see to getting the game.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about GMG, it's up on their site atm with preorder bonus.

Shengar

Except for Bethesda because they're assholes. They indeed tend to increase it from the low default regional price but only Bethesda have the audacity to make straight conversion.

It depends on whether the developers support it. It's likely but not confirmed until someone tries it.

Well, I hope that's the new standard, then.
FFX HD still has standard button prompts. Will have to check whether there's any mod that adds Playstation button prompts for that one.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I guess I really should thank them for a much lower price tag but..., Gust bundle is a much better deal I think even though Sophie is not the best game in the series.

Nah. The western version of Atelier Firis is releasing at the same time in PS4, PC and Vita. You can't expect localizations to release at a discounted price.
Yep, you're right.

Exentryk

Well, I hope that's the new standard, then.
FFX HD still has standard button prompts. Will have to check whether there's any mod that adds Playstation button prompts for that one.

There is. I was playing X-2 HD with PS icons, and that mod works for X-HD too. Find the mod thread from Kaldien.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Woo! Now I don't have to get a PS4!

No, because it asks for a R9 380x which is the equivalent of the GTX 960. It's likely because of the 4GB of VRAM.
I have a 4GB R9 270X and I'm not worried. My CPU is also an ancient Phenom II X4 955 and I can still run all sorts of new games just fine. It often requires going to medium shadows and maybe lighting, but the games are still gorgeous to me. Many devs have become way more skilled at scaling graphics tech with consistent art aesthetic, so you only lose the hyper real subtlety by running medium settings. I'm certain this will be prettier on my PC than Zelda will be on my Wii U.

Top Bottom