• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Machado said:
Why do people seem to "need" two analog sticks? it's good with just one. as long as games make good use of it I'm ok and you will too.

I'm thinking the same, replace dpad with a stick and make the face buttons analog, you'd get similar control for lefties then.

Machado said:
it would really be great to play GC games on it.

They might be able to get away with a virtual dpad and virtual c-stick on the screen...

orioto

Good Art™
JoshuaJSlone said:
qx0u9g.png

More of these please !!
It would be great if some soft could artificially create 3D fro paralax or something in 2D games, but i'm not sure it would work with every engine.

orioto said:
More of these please !!
It would be great if some soft could artificially create 3D fro paralax or something in 2D games, but i'm not sure it would work with every engine.

It might be possible with snes emulation, calibrate the parallax offset from the difference in scrolling speeds of the layers, and put the sprites at the same offset as the layer they're above. That would only work with 2D games with scrolling, but might be cool.
You'd also have to crop the left and right edges to avoid showing off screen map data, which might be junk depending on the engine.

yurinka

All I want is a F-Zero 3D as release title. GX, AX or a sequel of them. This would mean I would buy this handheld when this game is released.

But if they choose to release an F-Zero, I can see the FZero X port.

Ok, this thread is too fucking huge to dig through, but has anyone ever brought up the Tiger Electronic handheld Toshinden game? It had 3D holographic backgrounds without the need for 3D glasses. How the hell did that work?

If this thing is going to cost more than the DSiXL (putting it over the 200 dollar mark), I'm willing to bet there are a few more features we don't know about yet. I don't think nintendo will rest on just one innovative feature if it fears apple this badly.

Haunted

Cow Mengde said:
Ok, this thread is too fucking huge to dig through, but has anyone ever brought up the Tiger Electronic handheld Toshinden game? It had 3D holographic backgrounds without the need for 3D glasses. How the hell did that work?
Knowing how fucking cheap those Tiger things were, it was probably an actual physical lenticular card inserted in the back of the machine. :lol

Haunted said:
Knowing how fucking cheap those Tiger things were, it was probably an actual physical lenticular card inserted in the back of the machine. :lol

Yeah if the background was static it will have been, or some other kind of printed hologram.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
If this thing is going to cost more than the DSiXL (putting it over the 200 dollar mark), I'm willing to bet there are a few more features we don't know about yet. I don't think nintendo will rest on just one innovative feature if it fears apple this badly.

A free 3G connection is possible, one connecting through to nintendo's servers, so no 3G web browsing. No features have been officially announced apart from BC and 3D screen(s), so it could have anything.

AceBandage said:

Just to make it clear, this means horizontal resolution is doubled when in 2-d mode (or halved in 3d mode if you prefer).
I'd expect the screen to be 320 pixels wide in 3D, 640 in 2D. Worst case would be 512 wide.

Celine

Cow Mengde said:
You mean this piece of shit ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzcN3UDoun8

Probably in the same way as the never-released Atari Cosmos:
http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/cosmos/cosmos.html

EDIT:
He must refers to the VRT_X line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKA7zPelMhs

Graphics Horse said:
A free 3G connection is possible, one connecting through to nintendo's servers, so no 3G web browsing. No features have been officially announced apart from BC and 3D screen(s), so it could have anything.

Including a waffle maker.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

What other feature does it need?

-Touch Functionality
-3D Games
-Nintendo Ware
-Potential Camera
-Graphics on par with Gamecube

Thats is potentially enough to justify a price over 200$

Celine said:
You mean this piece of shit ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzcN3UDoun8

Probably in the same way as the never-released Atari Cosmos:
http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/cosmos/cosmos.html

EDIT:
He must refers to the VRT_X line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKA7zPelMhs

Nope, not this thing. Only the background was 3D. It was pretty amazing back then, and still pretty damn good today. The game itself is a piece of shit of course, but the novelty of owning it is still cool.

Celine

Cow Mengde said:
Nope, not this thing. Only the background was 3D. It was pretty amazing back then, and still pretty damn good today. The game itself is a piece of shit of course, but the novelty of owning it is still cool.
Yeah, I edited it.
I believe it was the VRT-X line.
There was even Toshiden.

Neo C.

Dedication Through Light said:
-Touch Functionality
-3D Games
-Nintendo Ware
-Potential Camera

Next handheld generation will be fucking expensive. :(
I wouldn't be slightly surprised to see PSP pricing for the games. You won't get your Gamecube graphics for cheap.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
What other feature does it need?

-Touch Functionality
-3D Games
-Nintendo Ware
-Potential Camera

well, it already has 4 out of 5. but I can't see them place this over $200. it's kinda what killed the PSP Go. I'd say about $150-$180. the XL would obviously get a price drop by then.

I've only just realised how simple parallax barriers are, I thought they were combined with lenticular lenes but they're not.
It's just like you're looking at a picture with vertical bars in front of it, each eye is simply blocked from seeing different parts of the picture by black lines.

If you use a dot matrix lcd for the barrier instead of just vertical lines, you could switch to horizontal lines for when you're holding it like a book, and still get a 3D effect. Adjusting the left/right split to off centre viewing angles would also work by adjusting the barrier pattern based on head tracking data, it might need to be quite high resolution to animate it well though.

Doorman

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh man

The Square Tax on 3DS games is going to be nuts

I can just imagine they're trying to find some way, any way, to charge $60 for a handheld game
They'd never be able to get away with it. Affordability has been one of Nintendo's strengths in the handheld space and I doubt they'll go so high-end that 3DS games start reaching the same prices as HD console games. I vaguely remember people worrying about that with the 3-D aspects of the original DS, but those games still only typically pulled down prices of $30 or $35, and 40 bucks if you're Square. I still see 40 being the ceiling for what (at least) Nintendo-made games would reach, with DS/i software hanging around 30 for a little while.

I still don't see any scenario where Nintendo would go dual-analog on this thing. It's either one to replace the D-pad, or none at all with something else representing that "3-D Stick" from the Nikkei report.

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh man

I can just imagine they're trying to find some way, any way, to charge $60 for a handheld game

Well before we start panicking about prices, let's wait until E3 where Nintendo will probably announce standard pricing for 3DS games. I remember thinking they would pull the 50-60$ card for the DS after the insanity of GBA prices (due to the costs of ROM cartridge) and was very pleasantly surprised when they announced standard pricing of 30-35$ instead.

I mean we could all be screwed, I don't know.

zigg

Graphics Horse said:
I've only just realised how simple parallax barriers are, I thought they were combined with lenticular lenes but they're not.
It's just like you're looking at a picture with vertical bars in front of it, each eye is simply blocked from seeing different parts of the picture by black lines.

That's interesting. How do they do that thing where they can adjust the viewing angles, then? Is it super-high-res or something so they can shift the barriers a very slight amount?

But yeah, as you said, that makes it dead easy for book orientation to work.

Koren

Starchasing said:
looks good.... but how is the 3d effect ??? only another person can tell that
Decent at least (I tried an older screen than those). There's a bit of crosstalk, and you have to keep your head in place (right distance, right angle). It definitively works... at least for a computer or a portable, because the localization of the effect in space forbids to use this technology in the living room.

You can read many reviews of the Sharp Actius RD3D laptop, it's 9 (?) years old, but it's based on this idea. And since sharp is still a supplier for auto-stereoscopic 3D screens, and a Nintendo screens provider, that's a strong possibility that the tech is the same.

Mrbob

Dark-Cloudz said:
So, how is it going to work without 3D glasses?

The device is using 3D effect for depth. 3D won't pop out at you. You'll be looking into the screen and seeing the layers.

Also, still not sure what some of you have against adding a second analog stick. :lol More options for game developers cannot hurt. It would make the device better.

I'm a little worried about game prices too. With Square Tax 3DS games might be $49.99. :/

ShockingAlberto said:
Oh man

That thought didn't cross my mind...
ofoz6r.jpg

Mik2121

Mrbob said:
The device is using 3D effect for depth. 3D won't pop out at you. You'll be looking into the screen and seeing the layers.

Also, still not sure what some of you have against adding a second analog stick. :lol More options for game developers cannot hurt. It would make the device better.

I'm a little worried about game prices too. With Square Tax 3DS games might be $49.99. :/
So you work at Nintendo or some company developing games for the 3DS and have seen how it works, huh?...

Mik2121 said:
So you work at Nintendo or some company developing games for the 3DS and have seen how it works, huh?...
Well, that's the way this technology tends to work

Having it pop out at you without glasses would be either extremely difficult or impossible in a cheap handheld system.

You guys predicting Star Wars Chess are going to be disappointed.

Mrbob

I don't, but Dave Perry mentioned about the 3D being similar to the FUJI 3D camera. This camera doesn't project a 3D image off the screen. It adds depth inside the image making it 3D by basically letting you look into the scene you shot.

Mik2121

ShockingAlberto said:

Having it pop out at you without glasses would be either extremely difficult or impossible in a cheap handheld system.

I'm not predicting Star Wars Chess, and I'm not 100% sure we will have stuff popping up at us, but saying it's impossible is being absolutely ignorant, because it can be done (even if it might be much harder on a 'cheap' handheld system, but still, can be done).
The difference here is that I'm 'suggesting' or 'guessing', but the guy I quoted and many of you are making statements when you know absolutely SHIT when it comes to the 3DS. So seriously, stop trying to make your opinions facts.
Either way, it being '3d' inside the screen like you were looking through a window is fine to me, if it's done well.

Mrbob

Actually, we have an idea. Unless Dave Perry is making things up!

http://twitter.com/dperry

DavePerry said:
# Excited about the Nintendo 3DS. I've got the Fuji 3D Camera with the same tech. It's cool and I've been wanting to see it used for games. 7:26 AM Mar 26th via web

Besides, no one side this is a bad thing. In fact I think this type of 3D is better for games than a holographic image would be.

Doorman

Mrbob said:
Also, still not sure what some of you have against adding a second analog stick. :lol More options for game developers cannot hurt. It would make the device better.:/
It's not that we have something "against" dual-analog, but it flies in the face of what Nintendo's philosophy has been building since they first released the DS. They've been building systems around accessibility and trying not to intimidate the user that hasn't been playing games for a long time. That is exactly the sort of thing that dual analog controls did, or were perceived to do, anyway. They want to make games easier for people to play, even if that means limiting the "options" for developers.

Nintendo putting dual analog onto the 3DS would be an admission that they've learned absolutely nothing about the success of the DS and Wii.

Mik2121 said:
I'm not predicting Star Wars Chess, and I'm not 100% sure we will have stuff popping up at us, but saying it's impossible is being absolutely ignorant, because it can be done (even if it might be much harder on a 'cheap' handheld system, but still, can be done).
The difference here is that I'm 'suggesting' or 'guessing', but the guy I quoted and many of you are making statements when you know absolutely SHIT when it comes to the 3DS. So seriously, stop trying to make your opinions facts.
Either way, it being '3d' inside the screen like you were looking through a window is fine to me, if it's done well.
Of course no one knows entirely how it's going to work for sure, but we can guess based on A) the rumored partner from Nikkei (Sharp's technology is for depth, not the popping out thing) and B) cost and feasibility.

No fucking duh it's not fact and anyone who has a modicum of contextual intelligence knows that. You don't need to jump on everyone who isn't saying "I think this is how it will work based on these sources".

Branduil

Mrbob said:
Look at a DS Lite or DSi. Where are you going to add analog sticks so they're

1)comfortable
2)not interfering with the other buttons
3)not interfering with your ability to grip the DS while using the stylus in your other hand.

Lijik

Branduil said:
Look at a DS Lite or DSi. Where are you going to add analog sticks so they're

1)comfortable
2)not interfering with the other buttons
3)not interfering with your ability to grip the DS while using the stylus in your other hand.

This is like being against the L and R buttons on the GBA because they wouldn't be comfortable on a GBC. The 3DS doesn't have to follow the DS design down to the letter.

leroidys

ShockingAlberto said:

HOLOCHESS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!

OMG OMGOMG

Branduil

Lijik said:
This is like being against the L and R buttons on the GBA because they wouldn't be comfortable on a GBC. The 3DS doesn't have to follow the DS design down to the letter.
Well I guess the 3DS could be the size of a Gamecube controller but I'm betting against it.

Mrbob said:
Actually, we have an idea. Unless Dave Perry is making things up!

http://twitter.com/dperry

Besides, no one side this is a bad thing. In fact I think this type of 3D is better for games than a holographic image would be.

I'm honestly surprised that we haven't gotten any quotations or reactions from almost anybody yet. Not Nintendo of America, not any developers or publishers, nothing. I looked and the only Japanese developer on Twitter who even mentioned it was Suda 51 saying "oh yeah I forgot, that 3DS news a little while ago. I found out what stereo 3D means."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom