• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Well, i kind of said so, didn't I? :)

Wish i knew what the system will be like beforehand, it sounds intriguing. Is Nintendo ready to deliver the Virtual Boy as it intended it to be?

I don't recall you mentioning 3D, the one thing most people weren't already guessing...

KevinCow

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
WHY DOES THIS ACTUALLY WORK

2583w2f.png

Amir0x

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The problem with most technologies which leverage stereoscopy through physical means is that they require you to do wierd shit with your eyes to see the effect. The Virtual Boy was a headache-inducing example of this. The various optical illusions printed on pages where you have to relax your focus to see the illusion are another. I hope Nintendo knows what they are doing.

Precisely. Which is why I'm doubly sure this has to be some different technology, maybe a type of screen overlay that gives the things on the screen a raised look... but I don't know.

However, one thing's for certain... 3D definitely has little to no effect on gameplay. It's a purely visual gimmick (gimmick it is. Fuck 3D movies too). Which is awesome because now Nintendo fans can act like visuals matter again! It's a win-win.

Pistolero

kayzai said:
This!!!

There absolutely no way Sony is not going shamelessly copy this!!!... Sony's Xeroxing efforts have been consistent since the first (Digital Only) PS1 Joypad.

Sony saw big brother's joypad and copied it Twice.

N64 Analog joypad ----> Sony: Oops lets bring out a new joypad with 2x Analog just like that one
N64 Analog joypad + Rumble ----> Sony: Oops time to add rumble too ... with 2X the RUMBLE.

Wii Remote ---------> Sony: we don't do GIMMICKS. Then, we have waggle too (SIXAXIS)... And Finally, Introducing PS Move WITH Wiimote precision and PsWiisport,PswiiParty with HD!

You would've thought that Nintendo are fully aware of the pattern by now! Maybe Nintendo is resigned to the fact that copying is inevitable ?

For Justice and Honour ! :lol

Firestorm

UPDATE: More reports and analysis have emerged regarding the Nintendo 3DS since its announcement last night.

Japanese reports from the Nikkei business publication and Asahi (via Engadget) said the 3DS will achieve naked eye 3D by using a parallax barrier technique from electronics manufacturer Sharp. Some cell phones in Japan already use the technology.

The 3DS screen, according to Nikkei, would have screens smaller than four inches diagonally, making it smaller than the DSi LL, which has a 4.2 inch screen. Other features may include vibration and control sticks, but none of this has been confirmed by Nintendo.
Analysts also join in: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27779/Nintendo_Announces_New_Nintendo_3DS_Portable_System.php

Timbuktu

kayzai said:
There absolutely no way Sony is not going shamelessly copy this!!!...
You would've thought that Nintendo are fully aware of the pattern by now! Maybe Nintendo is resigned to the fact that copying is inevitable ?

Perhaps Nintendo already knows that Sony is going to do something similar for PSP2 and announce it at E3, which would explain why they are doing this out of the blue.

Deku

Banned
kayzai said:

I don't think they really care at this point because the have to launch soon.

As for the storage discussion, 256 MB appears to be the standard large 'game' for the DS. Though I'm not fluent with semi-conductor realities, assuming things continue to scale proportionately, I'd expect 256 MB to 1 GB cards as being what 3DS uses.

The early DS games were 32/64 MB which were considered on the high end of GBA cart sizes, which used 8-32 MB roms.

Firestorm said:
Japanese reports from the Nikkei business publication and Asahi (via Engadget) said the 3DS will achieve naked eye 3D by using a parallax barrier technique from electronics manufacturer Sharp. Some cell phones in Japan already use the technology.
HEY GUYS MAYBE IT USES HEAD TRACKING AND IT'S LIKE THIS DSI VIDEO I FOUND

kayzai said:
This!!!

There absolutely no way Sony is not going shamelessly copy this!!!... Sony's Xeroxing efforts have been consistent since the first (Digital Only) PS1 Joypad.

Sony saw big brother's joypad and copied it Twice.

N64 Analog joypad ----> Sony: Oops lets bring out a new joypad with 2x Analog just like that one
N64 Analog joypad + Rumble ----> Sony: Oops time to add rumble too ... with 2X the RUMBLE.

Wii Remote ---------> Sony: we don't do GIMMICKS. Then, we have waggle too (SIXAXIS)... And Finally, Introducing PS Move WITH Wiimote precision and PsWiisport,PswiiParty with HD!

the world is doomed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Lolligag said:
No idea how this is going to work, but I don't really care.

I'd rather a more powerful handheld with better graphics. :(

So you expected the new handheld to have superior graphics compared to their homeconsole ? lol

WHOA that megaman pic had me trippin. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and i have to keep blinking my eyes to keep the effect going but it was cool.

edit:holy sh** i got the effect going perfectly pixel sharp and without the blinking thing

LCfiner

EmCeeGramr said:
HEY GUYS MAYBE IT USES HEAD TRACKING AND IT'S LIKE THIS DSI VIDEO I FOUND
:lol

Every page for over 60 pages. Like it would kill some of these posters to read just two pages of a thread before using that video as an example.

Medalion

Banned
udivision said:
Isn't that what you're getting?

Or do you mean PSP2 Level gfx ;)
For all we know it could be 3D graphics from 2 gens ago...sure it leaps off the screen but the graphic standards are even sub-N64

GCX

Nintendo's been using Sharp screens for like 30 years so using their parallax barrier technique is kinda given.

Ugh, this is good news, I guess, but I was considering buying a DSi XL when they released in better colours than the dark brown/light brown range we have in the UK (don't know what colours are available in the US) if only so I have a means of transferring Pokemon between games, since Nintendo have decided that they can't be bothered with releasing any means of doing so on the Wii. Considering that the N64 had two means of doing so (Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2), and the Gamecube had three (Pokemon Colosseum, Pokemon XD, and Pokemon Box), you'd think Nintendo would have at least considered adding such functionality to Pokemon Battle Revolution, or at least one of their shitty WiiWare Pokemon games to make them actually worth downloading.

I'll be all over the 3DS when it launches, but seriously, Nintendo seriously need to fucking tone it down with releasing new handhelds, be they completely new hardware, or revisions.

Amir0x

Banned
Medalion said:
For all we know it could be 3D graphics from 2 gens ago...sure it leaps off the screen but the graphic standards are even sub-N64

it plays DS and DSi games in backward compatibility. No way the visuals are gonna be sub-N64.

With Nintendo focusing on 3D visual enhancements, Graphics matter again so it's a good time to be a gamer.

kevincow make one of a pokemon game so we have the first screenshot of Pokemon 3DS

any of them will work, it'll be indistinguishable from the final product anyway

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
However, one thing's for certain... 3D definitely has little to no effect on gameplay. It's a purely visual gimmick (gimmick it is. Fuck 3D movies too).

I doubt Nintendo would use it unless they had clear software ideas that weren't possible without 3D.

Sagitario

Haunted said:
It's not that easy. To create these, you need two versions of the same scene with slightly different angles. Even a small difference that's not supposed to be there and the illusion won't work (as the brain won't be fooled anymore), so it's not as simple as changing things around a bit in photoshop. You actually need two separate images.

Dragona Akehi said:
Poo. Figured it'd be something like that. :/

Indeed, but for you I tried to replicate it anyway :p

bhzv4l.gif

Is not as fast in IE, so I recommend any other browser :p

Firestorm

EmCeeGramr said:
kevincow make one of a pokemon game so we have the first screenshot of Pokemon 3DS

any of them will work, it'll be indistinguishable from the final product anyway
no fuck you guys you keep posting them but i can't do them and i feel left out :mad:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned in this already massive thread, but it looks like that Japanese publication was right when it said Nintendo was preparing a new Virtual Boy by the end of the year. Who'd have thunk it? :D

Bentendo

booyakasha said:
WHOA that megaman pic had me trippin. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and i have to keep blinking my eyes to keep the effect going but it was cool.

edit:holy sh** i got the effect going perfectly pixel sharp and without the blinking thing

It's not working for me. What am I supposed to do to make it work?

Deku

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
Don't know if it's already been mentioned in this already massive thread, but it looks like that Japanese publication was right when it said Nintendo was preparing a new Virtual Boy by the end of the year. Who'd have thunk it? :D

That rumour was of a Wii VR thingy.

This has about as much in common with virtual reality as 3-D graphics has with holograms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom