• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Son of Godzilla said:
Isn't SMB3 already a 3D game on a 2D screen without any 3D effects? Nintendo is already making games for this.

Nintendo is going to re-release every title they've ever released for the 3DS, so prepare to buy them all again!
I'll be first in line

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Boney said:
How do we know this info is reliable?
Read the op and see the official Nintendo press release regarding the new handheld :lol.

The rest? No one can know for sure! Just 3 more months!

ElFly

3D graphics are a gimmick now, but good graphic effects are not?

That's bullshit.

If it improves immersion, it's just as important as pixel shaders, self shadowing, whatever.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Really hoping they allow us to transfer over our existing DSiWare accounts and content in some fashion...

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
For someone who cares about visuals, I'm surprised to hear Amir0x calling higher quality visual experiences a gimmick.

3D is a gimmick. I don't believe it's higher quality at all, actually. Most of the time, any 3D effect I've seen, is distracting, washes out colors, and greatly diminishes overall PQ. i've been railing against 3D for a long time, so it's not Nintendo's fault. Naturally it's a wait-and-see on the final effect for the handheld, but I'm not confident.

On the other hand, there's still something good that comes of this gimmick. With Nintendo prioritizing the enhancement of visuals once again, we're back on track to getting where we should be.

cvxfreak

Vinci said:
I doubt Nintendo would use it unless they had clear software ideas that weren't possible without 3D.

Possibility is the wrong term to use. It's whether Nintendo can make a good product that will sell until the Nintendo 4DS comes out that dictates their course of action.

Mejilan

Can't wait until E3. Hopefully we'll get a huge influx of juniors ripe for the banning as they endlessly complain that they can't see the 3D effect in the flash vids of E3 3DS footage.

VegaShinra

Does anyone else think it'd be cool to play a Trauma Center game on the 3DS and have the bones sticking out in 3D. When you pick the bone up from that spot you see the gap and everything. It's basic but it'd be kinda cool. Or the visor of Samus and the icons would be in 3D for a handheld Prime title. Create some depth between the visor and the environments.

Amir0x said:
3D is a gimmick. I don't believe it's higher quality at all, actually. Most of the time, any 3D effect I've seen, is distracting, washes out colors, and greatly diminishes overall PQ. i've been railing against 3D for a long time, so it's not Nintendo's fault. Naturally it's a wait-and-see on the final effect for the handheld, but I'm not confident.

On the other hand, there's still something good that comes of this gimmick. With Nintendo prioritizing the enhancement of visuals once again, we're back on track to getting where we should be.

Have you ever seen a 3D display without glasses? Looks nothing like the glasses method of 3D. The effect is very clean and doesn't hurt your eyes. 3D is a gimmick like motion control was a gimmick. And we all know how much of a fad motion control was...

Darklord said:
I can't do these ffs. I wanna see! :mad:

vgt17t.gif

Deku

Banned
ElFly said:
3D graphics are a gimmick now, but good graphic effects are not?

That's bullshit.

If it improves immersion, it's just as important as pixel shaders, self shadowing, whatever.

but will it? i expect to see the run of the mill games to have 'radar, and other GUI elements' floating on a different plance than the action below (at least in terms of the player perspective)

and the odd elements flying up and towards the screen. The rest of the game will be standard.

I don't mind that really as long as i have my full DS BC, which it does have, and more capacity for new games I care about (which we'll see).

This is probably stand less chance of being accused as being gimmicky, as the touchscreen DS circa 2004.

ShinNL

Deku said:
That rumour was of a Wii VR thingy.

This has about as much in common with virtual reality as 3-D graphics has with holograms.
If that 3D stuff gets mixed with the cameras then it's not too far off. Nintendo stealing from Sony, you heard it here first! (EyePet, Eye of Judgement)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Amir0x said:

How does increased visuals get us Mother 4? It does not! :lol

ElFly

Amir0x said:

It provides, you know, volume.

It's super hypocritical to call volume unimportant, when we see the whole world like that; pictures and movies are in the wrong here by being 2D. Now, I can see some people having problems with using glasses, but those complaints are moot here.

If you are some of those poor schmucks who get headaches from 3D, well, I am sorry, but fuck off. It'd be like stopping development of videogames due to people with epylepsy.

Mejilan said:
Can't wait until E3. Hopefully we'll get a huge influx of juniors ripe for the banning as they endlessly complain that they can't see the 3D effect in the flash vids of E3 3DS footage.

I've been wondering about that. Are media sites increasingly going to have to put up 3D-compatible versions of their videos and pictures? It's a big problem if you can't show the 3D effect in press material and advertisements. What ARE we going to do at E3? People who aren't at the show are gonna have a bit of a problem and won't be able to judge it except by the words of people there.

VegaShinra said:
Does anyone else think it'd be cool to play a Trauma Center game on the 3DS and have the bones sticking out in 3D. When you the pick the bone up from that spot you see the gap and everything. It's basic but it'd be kinda cool.

Trauma Center anything would be awesome.

radioheadrule83 said:

Told you guys 2D games will look awesome! :D

Now just imagine that with multiple parallax layers all at a different depths and even platforms and the camera scaling in out between different depths. It'll look incredible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I think about this, the more excited I am. I've wanted 3D in gaming for a long time but I'm not going to be able to afford a 3DTV once they're on the market. I've also been ignoring handhelds because I don't have a train ride or anything to play them on so I just play them in the same room as my consoles, which seems pointless to me. This will allow me to enjoy 3D gaming and revitalize my interest in handhelds. I can't wait.

Amir0x said:

I agree completely.

Amir0x said:

No. What is this?!

ShinNL

Amir0x said:

Ami, you're slightly being a bit of a hypocrite. Didn't you always say that better visuals increase immersion. 3D is a means to increase immersion. If you're gonna say that 3D is a gimmick, then upgrading visuals in general should be called a gimmick as well.

I don't get the washed out colors part though. When is the last time you saw 3D? With red & blue glasses?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Amir0x said:
With Nintendo focusing on 3D visual enhancements, Graphics matter again so it's a good time to be a gamer.
Nintendo only gives the impression of caring about visuals because the Tegra is a cheap and ready drop-in solution.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blu_LED said:
So, is every game required to be in 3D?
Hopefully no, but I am sure all first gen 3DS games will have it, just like they all had touch and mic controlls they really didn't need.

Durante

Amir0x said:
Well, it sounds like you've only seen shitty 3D then.

Amir0x

Banned
ElFly said:
It provides, you know, volume.

It's super hypocritical to call volume unimportant, when we see the whole world like that; pictures and movies are in the wrong here by being 2D. Now, I can see some people having problems with using glasses, but those complaints are moot here.

If you are some of those poor schmucks who get headaches from 3D, well, I am sorry, but fuck off. It'd be like stopping development of videogames due to people with epylepsy.

"volume" is not a fair exchange for the myriad of other things various 3D technologies set back. It is for some, but certainly not for me. As to now, virtually every use of 3D I've ever seen has been horrendous in some extremely tangible ways. Again, this is outside the realm of Nintendo... I hated it in AVATAR, I hated it in Alice in Wonderland. I hated it in the 3D games I've played so far. It's just a distracting gimmick which sets back several key visual elements in the name of novelty. That goes for Sony's 3D bull too.

But novelty was never a problem for Nintendo fans, so I'm not claiming it won't be a sales success. It's just a gimmick, and a purely visual one at that, so at the very least I'm happy the industry is re-prioritizing behind the important things and that the fanboys can stop playing pretend about the importance of visuals.

Durante said:

I can assure you, I've seen the best available 3D, in as many different formats as is likely to exist.

Except, of course, whatever is precisely going into this technology.

Soneet said:
Ami, you're slightly being a bit of a hypocrite. Didn't you always say that better visuals increase immersion. 3D is a means to increase immersion. If you're gonna say that 3D is a gimmick, then upgrading visuals in general should be called a gimmick as well.

I don't get the washed out colors part though. When is the last time you saw 3D? With red & blue glasses?

The problem is, there isn't immersive 3D yet. The ultimate goal of total sensory immersion in a game is obviously the goal for all... and I await the technology capable of delivering that.

As of now, however, no 3D technology is close. Its distracting, not immersive, in an entirely different way than the flaws of motion technology are distracting.

Mejilan

EmCeeGramr said:
I've been wondering about that. Are media sites increasingly going to have to put up 3D-compatible versions of their videos and pictures? It's a big problem if you can't show the 3D effect in press material and advertisements. What ARE we going to do at E3? People who aren't at the show are gonna have a bit of a problem and won't be able to judge it except by the words of people there.

kermitfreakout.gif

Durante

Amir0x said:
I can assure you, I've seen the best available 3D, in as many different formats as is likely to exist.
So which key visual elements exactly does NV 3D vision on a DLP beamer set back?

decon

Durante said:
I've seen Avatar in a cinema with 3D. Sure is was a experience worth having, but I'm glad that not all movies are like this. Hopefully not all games will have to use 3D effect.

Still way too early to tell though :)

Wii reactions: I don't want to wave my arms around/I'll get tired/I'm lazy/no HD/it's going to ruin gaming/get that shit out of mah games/Nintendo going 3rd party/fad/etc

3DS reactions: I don't want 3D/my eyes will hurt/what about teh graphics/won't work/lol Virtual Boy/it's a gimmick/headaches/fad/etc

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EmCeeGramr said:
Maybe Nintendo will do a road show display again like the Nintendo Fusion Tour or something that's more game focused so that people can see it ahead of time. I really hope something is figured out because I want to see how it looks for myself.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Amir0x: Can't agree with your blanket negativity on 3D, but I expect it to be misused more often than not.
Deku said:
what's wrong with that exactly?
Nothing, really, just that Nintendo hasn't changed.

GCX

Hitokage said:
Nintendo only gives the impression of caring about visuals because the Tegra is a cheap and ready drop-in solution.
It would be logical to use Tegra but some sources say it's something else. Could be a modified Flipper. I don't know.

Saying 3D is a gimmick is like saying only one type of lens should be used. Does using a wide lends really enhance the story? It depends, just like with 3D.

3D can be improved by a lot yes, but all its faults don't make it a gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom