• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

-KRS-

WAT?! How did I miss this yesterday?

Well, I'm intrigued to say the least, but is 3D going to be the only thing that sets it apart from the DS, except of course for better hardware? I dunno... seems too small of a change to me. Especially considering that 3D will be everywhere soon, if the tech industry can decide anyway.

How is 3D going to innovate gameplay really? I can think of maybe a few scenarios but on the whole it seems to little.

As a side-note, I was totally getting a DSi XL before reading this, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I'll probably buy one anyway though since this new console is a whole year from release.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey, I wonder if they're getting rid of the microphone, or if they're going to use it for some kind of 3DSpeak dealy.

Effect

I really do wonder what the response from other companies will be. Why word from the so called "analyst"?

I do like this though. Everyone is saying Nintendo needs to go HD. Say someone has to do something and they are more likely less reluctant to do it. No one likes to be told they have to do something. So what does Nintendo do? They get a jump on 3D and on a hand held at that. That is very Nintendo like. I wouldn't be surprised if others scramble for a response. Nintendo going HD would be easier to counter but 3D without glasses on a hand held that most likely will have a significant graphics increase. Cube levels maybe. Now that is good way of continuing to be unique.

I don't get the sceptics, so what if there is little to no gameplay innovation? It's going to add depth to the screen/games which is going to make it look better. Why complain?

GDGF said:
Hey, I wonder if they're getting rid of the microphone, or if they're going to use it for some kind of 3DSpeak dealy.
4D soundwaves

GDGF said:
I think they'll keep it if it's backwards compatible with the DS. Otherwise the Zelda games are screwed.

2San

Neo C. said:
Worthless in the sense of gimmicky? Well, autostereoscopy is a gimmick as well, but people still can have fun with it. I would even say head tracking is less gimmicky, because it can replace camera control with an analog stick to some degree which is good for a lot of people because moving the perspective with a stick needs some gaming experience.

Though this discussion doesn't really matter. The concept of the DS is basically giving the developer plenty of possibility to create a game. It isn't like a developer must use all the inputs and features. You don't need to use head tracking, but if done correctly, it's a lovely feature.
I admit it isn't completely worthless. I just said it for the dramatic effect. It felt like I kept getting rickrolled into that video, while where talking about the 3DS new 3d capabilities and this something already on the DSi. It's like wow the 3DS can play DS games as well!!! Though if anything the majority of games isn't going to use the tech, though I might be pleasantly surprised if they can up the reaction time of thing so it can be used in action oriented games.

GDGF

Soothsayer
evilromero said:
I think they'll keep it if it's backwards compatible with the DS. Otherwise the Zelda games are screwed.

:lol Oh that's true. Sorry, I haven't been to sleep yet!

GCX said:
It would be incredibly stupid for Nintendo to make 3DS cost over 200$. That would kinda eliminate the whole casual thing they've been building for the past generation.

Well at 200$ they can get long standing fans to buy the system at launch and carry it for a few months, then announce a price cut a year later and release more casual aimed games and take the system off from there, though the DS would still be around so there wouldnt be much of a way to get non-traditional gamers (or people who only bought 1 or 2 games for the system (the brain ages or nintendo dogs or etc) to get the system in the first 6 months - year of launch, I think.

So 200$ is probably ensured.

caligula13

Gold Member
Nintendo could have released the Wii Mote for the GameCube. they even started it that way. They didn't do it because then it would have always stayed an add on, like the PS Move.

so you really ask why would nintendo release a new DS for something that is doable on the old DS?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
caligula13 said:
Nintendo could have released the Wii Mote for the GameCube. they even started it that way. They didn't do it because then it would have always stayed an add on, like the PS Move.

so you really ask why would nintendo release a new DS for something that is doable on the old DS?

the difference, to me, is that you don't need to buy additional components to make the ds do that. you would have had peripherals out the wazoo for a gamecube wii facsimile.

plus, it's not that it is doable, it's that it's been DONE.

Link Man

Banned
synt4x said:
How is 3D going to innovate gameplay really? I can think of maybe a few scenarios but on the whole it seems to little.
With a golf game, it would allow you to accurately read the green.

upandaway

beelzebozo said:
the difference, to me, is that you don't need to buy additional components to make the ds do that. you would have had peripherals out the wazoo for a gamecube wii facsimile.

plus, it's not that it is doable, it's that it's been DONE.
We don't know about its potential though. Think about a static, low-poly image, then think about a faster moving game using more of the DS power. We don't know how far the effect can go on unoptimized hardware.

Plus, it requires a DSi. It is easier to market something as a 3DS only because it's obvious, but for the DSi, it's like a minus point in the commercial. Actually that's kind of stupid.

By the way, anyone with the DSi game, can you confirm if it still works when you tilt it really fast? And if it still works when the camera is directed at a single-color object?
And can anyone with a DSi period confirm how easy it is to block the camera with your fingers when holding it sideways?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
upandaway said:
We don't know about its potential though. Think about a static, low-poly image, then think about a faster moving game using more of the DS power. We don't know how far the effect can go on unoptimized hardware.

Plus, it requires a DSi. It is easier to market something as a 3DS only because it's obvious, but for the DSi, it's like a minus point in the commercial. Actually that's kind of stupid.

By the way, anyone with the DSi game, can you confirm if it still works when you tilt it really fast? And if it still works when the camera is directed at a single-color object?
And can anyone with a DSi period confirm how easy it is to block the camera with your fingers when holding it sideways?

right, i was just saying that particular limited application had already been accomplished, and that this new handheld would obviously be more extensive and complex than just that one thing.

upandaway

beelzebozo said:
right, i was just saying that particular limited application had already been accomplished, and that this new handheld would obviously be more extensive and complex than just that one thing.
Oh, cool then. That's what I get for reading the last posts.

rocK`

Banned
AceBandage said:
Please say this is a joke post.
Please.

Actually, I'm really not sorry. Another pretentious poster. This wasn't added to the OP, so how would I know that it was brought up?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
rocK` said:
Actually, I'm really not sorry. Another pretentious poster. This wasn't added to the OP, so how would I know that it was brought up?

... by reading literally any one page of the thread?

rocK` said:

Well, first of all, it shouldn't be posted period.
It's NOT the 3DS, it's a DSiWare game we've known about for ages.
Second, this is GAF. And that video is more than a day old and it's about the new Nintendo handheld.
Of course it would have already been posted (and mocked) multiple times.

GCX

rocK` said:
I think that video has been posted on every page of this thread.

rocK`

Banned
AceBandage said:
Well, first of all, it shouldn't be posted period.
It's NOT the 3DS, it's a DSiWare game we've known about for ages.
Second, this is GAF. And that video is more than a day old and it's about the new Nintendo handheld.
Of course it would have already been posted (and mocked) multiple times.

Thanks, this is infinitely more useful than your first post. Sorry I hit a nerve, continue monitoring these forums for incorrect and out of date information.

jarosh

i see some of you guys are seriously still discussing this while operating under the assumption that it will use head tracking, just like what we've seen in that stupid dsi video that's been posted at least a million times. seriously? why would anyone even CONSIDER that this is how 3d will work on the 3ds? it boggles my mind... mainly because THAT'S NOT EVEN 3D. AT ALL. and it has practically zero gameplay implications, especially on a handheld. do you seriously think we will be moving our heads to look around, on a handheld no less? or constantly tilt the system to change the viewpoint? what would even be the point of a new system for something so stupid? the games wouldn't even look any different - why would you call it 3d? and why would nintendo make a point of saying it's 3D WITHOUT GLASSES - as in: it will create the same or a similar effect you'd get with glasses, only without them? in 87 pages have we not gathered enough information to realize that this must be using a new kind of (display) technology to create an actual 3d effect and not some stupid camera trickery?

bjork said:
How the hell did I miss this all day? Also, 85 pages in 24 hours, you guys are crazy! :lol

Anyway, sounds pretty neat. I hope there's a pilotwings for it.

Oh FUCK YOU. Now I will never be satisfied until there is one. :(

Vgamer

TheKingsCrown said:
That Sony comment is interesting as well. You'd figure they'd have a bigger response if they had a response. I wonder where they're going with their device, I guess it will include a phone? Almost a certainty now.

Seems to me like Sony was so shocked by this they were kind of floored and did not know what to say.

bdouble

Oh man that gamestop thing is funny. Its like DS all over again with Virtual boy this and that.
I'm pretty sure we saw glassless 3d at CES and no reason why Nintendo can't do it.

jarosh

Willy105 said:
Guys, stop with the self-parody, you are confusing Gamespot.
suicide.gif

Lijik

Vgamer said:
Seems to me like Sony was so shocked by this they were kind of floored and did not know what to say.

Really, because considering their past comments on Nintendo hardware all it did was convince me that they have a list of "Insinuate the competition will fail while tying them to a tyke image" comments that they break out whenever they need to.

Vgamer said:
I'd agree with you 5 years ago.

Now, it is plainly obvious that they are viciously interested in the handheld space given that it has made them a good deal of money (in Japan). I guarantee you they're going with a phone, but yes, they are probably not going the same route that Nintendo is.

Azure J

This thread is amazing. :lol

That being said, I pretty much got what I wanted out of the next DS just from hearing what was mentioned yesterday but I never got a chance to leave a post in this soon to be legendary thread. On a more serious note though, I see a lot of people mentioning different ways 3D can create some cool new effects for games as well as making new genres possible. I'm curious to hear more talk on that, especially since I'm not used to 3D & its benefits (mostly because I haven't really experienced any 3D media).

Sylfurd

jarosh said:
i see some of you guys are seriously still discussing this while operating under the assumption that it will use head tracking, just like what we've seen in that stupid dsi video that's been posted at least a million times. seriously? why would anyone even CONSIDER that this is how 3d will work on the 3ds? it boggles my mind... mainly because THAT'S NOT EVEN 3D. AT ALL. and it has practically zero gameplay implications, especially on a handheld. do you seriously think we will be moving our heads to look around, on a handheld no less? or constantly tilt the system to change the viewpoint? what would even be the point of a new system for something so stupid? the games wouldn't even look any different - why would you call it 3d? and why would nintendo make a point of saying it's 3D WITHOUT GLASSES - as in: it will create the same or a similar effect you'd get with glasses, only without them? in 87 pages have we not gathered enough information to realize that this must be using a new kind of (display) technology to create an actual 3d effect and not some stupid camera trickery?
quoted 'cause this will never be quoted enough before the release.

Stop talking about that bullshit DSiware !

Lijik said:
Really, because considering their past comments on Nintendo hardware all it did was convince me that they have a list of "Insinuate the competition will fail while tying them to a tyke image" comments that they break out whenever they need to.

I think they hire middle schoolers to write their response PRs, myself.

WillyFive

Ten-Song said:
So my question with this new hand held, is can't the DSi already do that head tracking 3D stuff?

Yeah, but that's obviously not what the 3DS is. It's like saying "well, the SNES can do 3D with the Super FX, the N64 will be like that too right?"

bdouble

TheKingsCrown said:
:lol
That Sony comment is interesting as well. You'd figure they'd have a bigger response if they had a response. I wonder where they're going with their device, I guess it will include a phone? Almost a certainty now.

Thats the thing they didn't know what to say so they went back to the old "I don't think the audience will like that" statement. Just like the with Wii when people said gamers need buttons or "gamers need high end graphics". Kids don't need 3d? Kids are going to go apeshit over this thing. 3d is the way we see the world. It works for everyone.

swerve

Mods could make GAF seem like a much smarter place by putting some 'don't talk about face tracking' rules in the OP.

This thread could be a wonderland of ideas, rather than the same three questions and movies (and rebuttals like this post) repeated over and over.

swerve said:
Mods could make GAF seem like a much smarter place by putting some 'don't talk about face tracking' rules in the OP.

This thread could be a wonderland of ideas, rather than the same three questions and movies (and rebuttals like this post) repeated over and over.

Or at least, it would be amusing watching all the bannings from people that don't read the OP.

TheKingsCrown said:
It's plainly obvious to me that after more than half a decade Gamespot still doesn't understand why Nintendo is on top in every single market lol.

They are basically Kotaku with money, really.

Zaptruder

Banned
jarosh said:

I was kinda hoping it would be used in conjunction with a proper autostereoscopic 3D screen.

Because you rage, but neither are complete 3D effects... but when you combine the two, you really do get a complete 3D effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom