• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten-Song

swerve said:
Mods could make GAF seem like a much smarter place by putting some 'don't talk about face tracking' rules in the OP.

This thread could be a wonderland of ideas, rather than the same three questions and movies (and rebuttals like this post) repeated over and over.

I really want someone to send video of that head tracking DSi game to Kotaku and see if they'll run a story on how the 3DS is an unnecessary system.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
lol this thread. The pages are so similar by now that we can probably see the thread in 3D with the cross-eyed trick.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jarosh said:
i see some of you guys are seriously still discussing this while operating under the assumption that it will use head tracking, just like what we've seen in that stupid dsi video that's been posted at least a million times. seriously? why would anyone even CONSIDER that this is how 3d will work on the 3ds? it boggles my mind... mainly because THAT'S NOT EVEN 3D. AT ALL. and it has practically zero gameplay implications, especially on a handheld. do you seriously think we will be moving our heads to look around, on a handheld no less? or constantly tilt the system to change the viewpoint? what would even be the point of a new system for something so stupid? the games wouldn't even look any different - why would you call it 3d? and why would nintendo make a point of saying it's 3D WITHOUT GLASSES - as in: it will create the same or a similar effect you'd get with glasses, only without them? in 87 pages have we not gathered enough information to realize that this must be using a new kind of (display) technology to create an actual 3d effect and not some stupid camera trickery?

A thousand times this.

The references to that DSiware app got annoying about a million pages ago. Particularly given that there's been plenty of info and links to info on autostereoscopic screens.

And no, it's not like the wiimote and the gamecube. Nintendo wouldn't make new hardware for something that could be done entirely in software on the current DS.

Also, on a side note...that DSi app...is it headtracking, or is it not just tracking motion-flow in the camera image to determine tilt? The official vids I've seen just show the DS being tilted, not the view being moved around the DS.

PSGames

gofreak said:
A
Also, on a side note...that DSi app...is it headtracking, or is it not just tracking motion-flow in the camera image to determine tilt? The official vids I've seen just show the DS being tilted, not the view being moved around the DS.

It's head tracking. There's a developer video showing how they got it to work somewhere.

Barrett2

This thread has a disturbing amount of ignorance. I don't know what's worse, the people who think this is just an iterative gimmick with the same DS graphics, the people who think the DSi head-tracking game nonsense is what 3D is, or the people who think Yoshi will be walking out of the screen and interacting with their holo-cube RDF capable stylus in mid-air, while Bowser's airship hovers above like some floating Death Star.

WillyFive

lawblob said:
This thread has a disturbing amount of ignorance. I don't know what's worse, the people who think this is just an iterative gimmick with the same DS graphics, the people who think the DSi head-tracking game nonsense is what 3D is, or the people who think Yoshi will be walking out of the screen and interacting with their holo-cube RDF capable stylus in mid-air, while Bowser's airship hovers above like some floating Death Star.

Nintendo did this on purpose so people would go insane, like with the Wii and DS.

Sylfurd

Zaptruder said:
I was kinda hoping it would be used in conjunction with a proper autostereoscopic 3D screen.

Because you rage, but neither are complete 3D effects... but when you combine the two, you really do get a complete 3D effect.
you can't lens based autostereoscopy doesn't allow to move your head with alrge movement, so the head tracking isn't effective !

jufonuk

not tag worthy
AceBandage said:

:lol
awoooo bah weep granna weep ninny bon

I am awaiting more incoming details nearer to e3... Nintendo are the master manipulators, they are awesome at building hype, 180'ing peoples expectations then either delivering what they promised or kinda delivering it (Wii without M+) then making so much money that they can buy Japan and the UK combined.

ciccione

jarosh said:
i see some of you guys are seriously still discussing this while operating under the assumption that it will use head tracking, just like what we've seen in that stupid dsi video that's been posted at least a million times. seriously? why would anyone even CONSIDER that this is how 3d will work on the 3ds? it boggles my mind... mainly because THAT'S NOT EVEN 3D. AT ALL. and it has practically zero gameplay implications, especially on a handheld. do you seriously think we will be moving our heads to look around, on a handheld no less? or constantly tilt the system to change the viewpoint? what would even be the point of a new system for something so stupid? the games wouldn't even look any different - why would you call it 3d? and why would nintendo make a point of saying it's 3D WITHOUT GLASSES - as in: it will create the same or a similar effect you'd get with glasses, only without them? in 87 pages have we not gathered enough information to realize that this must be using a new kind of (display) technology to create an actual 3d effect and not some stupid camera trickery?

Wrong. That famous video has a LOT of gameplay implications. If the 3DS works like that, possibily working in association with a movement sensor, the third dimension (looking inside the DS) will open literally a new space where to play. It will be a pleasure to play, with a new strong sense of innovation. Why should be the 3D "of the movies" the only "real one"? If this one work for DS, and we will play in a totally new way, it will be ok. Paper Mario, do you rememeber? Here it would work perfectly. A 3DS Trauma Center, would be perfect for that view. I expect a 3D Mario Game, where you can rotate the DS to look around. And many many more.
I am very curious about the fate of the touch screen. A touch on a 2D surface doesn't let you easily control in a 3D space. Therefore a stick would be more useful. A 3D sensor pen anyone?

KamenSenshi

i wish they would have saved it for e3 only for the fact that we could see it in action maybe. and it would be less time for sony to lift the idea to use. but on the bright side, if its coming before 2011 and they are releasing info this early not even at a show, would they dare release around e3? you know, do it apple style, talk about it to get people hyped then say its in stores that day.

jarosh

Hampster_dance.gif

DANCING_BABY.GIF

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guys have you seen this video? I think it might be how it works, as it fits with previous DSi structure.

rocK` said:
Actually, I'm really not sorry. Another pretentious poster. This wasn't added to the OP, so how would I know that it was brought up?
:lol

Because it's on every fucking page. Normally don't mind people repeating things in thread, especially when the thread is gigantic and moving fast. But jesus fucking christ, it's like people are just doing it on purpose. That video has been linked to at least 100 times now.

Edit: the thing to learn from this, is that the OP of threads should update it with new info. I'm always annoyed when threads that continuously get new information don't get updated and you have to read every single post to not miss any new info.

antispin

Maybe there is more to the 3DS than 3D. This has probably been brought up but remember how the first thing we learned about the NDS was two screens? Everyone was wtf, what's the point. And then one of them turned out to be a touchscreen... of course, some still went wtf, what's the point :lol

KamenSenshi said:
i wish they would have saved it for e3 only for the fact that we could see it in action maybe. and it would be less time for sony to lift the idea to use. but on the bright side, if its coming before 2011 and they are releasing info this early not even at a show, would they dare release around e3? you know, do it apple style, talk about it to get people hyped then say its in stores that day.

Nah.
There's no way it would release around E3.
November at the very earliest, but I say, given that they set it for before the end of March, that it'll be a late February release.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Willy105 said:
Guys, stop with the self-parody, you are confusing Gamespot.
@ Ms. Sophia Tong: Bu-but its a new system. New New. Like 360 to Orignal Xbox new.
@ Mr. Sophia Tong: Uh, you guys are writing this in before hand and aren't talking with each other cementing a false inpression, right? Still, New system. New new. Maybe I need better adjetives.
@ Mr. Justin Calvert: Yes, someone who may be logical! Saying that the release is making him question buying an XL is rooted in logic. Though I still see a hint of "Its the same thing as the last 4 models!"
@ Mr. Brendan Sinclair: A 3D DSi! WHERE! Oh, your one of them. You people are the editers?
@ Mr. Brian Ekberg: Wait, why are we talking about the Move and Natal now? I am skipping you.
@ Mr. Tom Mc Shea: Wait, what was that about the Wii? The thing is a Gamecube+, anything that doesn't look upto par with the Gamecube is because of programing efforts alone. And the DS is channeling the N64, the GBA was the SNES powered handheld. Eh, I am not going to bother with you any more, NEXT!
@ Mr. Shaun McInnis: Uh, I wouldn't damn the 3DS 3D so soon, but I guess its not to far of a logical leep to thing "3D console game will do the same thing as 3D portable game." But is that all you have to say?
@ Mr. Giancarlo Varanini: Mr. Editer at Large, you are most likely the voice of reason. I mean, someone there has to be doing some fact checking. Let see here... Huh? Wait, you are saying annocing something in a press release is unnintendo like? What about excite bots? And you didn't really say anything ether...

These are Gamespots editers? Maybe I should take up a job in Video Game News reporting. Maybe we should start GAF-News.com and show them all up :lol

so i bought and played that head tracking game last night.

it's not really doing anything particularly fancy, and it doesn't work very well outside of ideal conditions.

and it doesn't remotely trick you into thinking you're looking at something 3d either.

before you play you have to put your face in a box and take a picture. then you hope your face is well contrasted against everything else. it then shows you a screen with blue and red overlaying the live picture. what you want to see is the red on your face and only on your face, and your face remaining red as you turn the DSi about.

i got it working after maybe a dozen tries in different lighting conditions and environments.

it's a neat game. it's fun... but the head tracking isn't remotely convincing if you're looking for a 3d illusion.

swerve

Ten-Song said:
Nintendo has broken the internet. :lol

And yet some people question why they announce it in this vague way.

It's remarkable how much screen space they've enjoyed in the last 24 hours, without a single image or mention of a single game. The number of times 3DS is going to be written this year with nothing but conjecture and hype-building - FOR FREE - is huge.

Bit-Bit

Why isn't that whenever Nintendo announces new hardware, the entire gaming industry has a meltdown. It's like no one sees what Nintendo sees.

2San

plagiarize said:
so i bought and played that head tracking game last night.

it's not really doing anything particularly fancy, and it doesn't work very well outside of ideal conditions.

and it doesn't remotely trick you into thinking you're looking at something 3d either.

before you play you have to put your face in a box and take a picture. then you hope your face is well contrasted against everything else. it then shows you a screen with blue and red overlaying the live picture. what you want to see is the red on your face and only on your face, and your face remaining red as you turn the DSi about.

i got it working after maybe a dozen tries in different lighting conditions and environments.

it's a neat game. it's fun... but the head tracking isn't remotely convincing if you're looking for a 3d illusion.
It was never supposed to create a 3d illusion. The way I see it it's an echochrome type of puzzle game without the use of traditional input.

jarosh said:

bro, you gotta switch to 100 posts per page!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom