• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit-Bit said:
Why isn't that whenever Nintendo announces new hardware, the entire gaming industry has a meltdown. It's like no one sees what Nintendo sees.

Because whenever Nintendo announces something, it's always out of left field.
They keep their hand so close to them at all times, that you can never know when and what they will show.

KamenSenshi

i guess i just want it now. they definitely got my attention now i have questions of what else can it do, how will the 3d affect ds games, all that. actually i wonder if they could pull off a way to "enhance" ds games when played on it. if it was rumored to use the tegra 2 i wonder if they would use 2, would be enough power for a good jump fron ds plus 3d maybe.

gogojira

It's surprising to see a site that covers fucking gaming (see: Gamespot) have a room full editors post reactions, all of which refer to it as another iteration on the current DS.

OK, so it's not that surprising, but it is really frustrating.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
jarosh said:
i see some of you guys are seriously still discussing this while operating under the assumption that it will use head tracking, just like what we've seen in that stupid dsi video that's been posted at least a million times. seriously? why would anyone even CONSIDER that this is how 3d will work on the 3ds? it boggles my mind... mainly because THAT'S NOT EVEN 3D. AT ALL. and it has practically zero gameplay implications, especially on a handheld. do you seriously think we will be moving our heads to look around, on a handheld no less? or constantly tilt the system to change the viewpoint? what would even be the point of a new system for something so stupid? the games wouldn't even look any different - why would you call it 3d? and why would nintendo make a point of saying it's 3D WITHOUT GLASSES - as in: it will create the same or a similar effect you'd get with glasses, only without them? in 87 pages have we not gathered enough information to realize that this must be using a new kind of (display) technology to create an actual 3d effect and not some stupid camera trickery?
The OP should be updated to include more speculation/rumors. This way there is a single reference point. These rumors seem pretty solid.

More rumors/speculation not in the OP:
* 3D achieved with a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp
* Higher resolution screens
* The 2 screens might not have a gap between them or the gap will be much smaller
* The display can be used as 2 separate screens or used as one big screen - it may even switch between the two modes during gameplay
* It will have some type of tilt function more advanced or in addition to what's in iPhone
* Graphics similar to GameCube
* Similar development environment as GameCube and Wii
* Third party developers will have their games ready for end of the year release
* Final hardware decisions/inclusions are not finalized

Links:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-to-come-with-3d-control-stick-vibration-and-sha/
http://rpad.tv/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds2-information-unearthed-at-gdc-2010/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235077?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

edit - Iwata has also referenced the Amazon kindle as far as internet connectivity is concerned.

PSGames

plagiarize said:
so i bought and played that head tracking game last night.

it's not really doing anything particularly fancy, and it doesn't work very well outside of ideal conditions.

and it doesn't remotely trick you into thinking you're looking at something 3d either.

before you play you have to put your face in a box and take a picture. then you hope your face is well contrasted against everything else. it then shows you a screen with blue and red overlaying the live picture. what you want to see is the red on your face and only on your face, and your face remaining red as you turn the DSi about.

i got it working after maybe a dozen tries in different lighting conditions and environments.

it's a neat game. it's fun... but the head tracking isn't remotely convincing if you're looking for a 3d illusion.

This is how headtracking will work on the PS Move unfortunately. When you depend on an RGB camera you're bound to run into lighting issues.

I doubt Nintendo would bank on something so unreliable.

orioto

Good Art™
To celebrate the new 3D reign lol,

SonicCD3D.jpg

SonicCD3D.gif

:D

PSGames said:
This is how headtracking will work on the PS Move unfortunately. When you depend on an RGB camera you're bound to run into lighting issues.

They actually said that they toyed with the idea for the Wii, and found it too unreliable, which is why they went with IR.

bdouble

AceBandage said:
Because whenever Nintendo announces something, it's always out of left field.
They keep their hand so close to them at all times, that you can never know when and what they will show.
Right but they keep doing it. Its not really new at this point. Its not that out of left field from Nintendo.

KamenSenshi

Bit-Bit said:
Why isn't that whenever Nintendo announces new hardware, the entire gaming industry has a meltdown. It's like no one sees what Nintendo sees.
nintendo is the game changer basically. you can always predict the other two will just up the power by like 2 or 3x, but at least for recent systems nintendo has gone off and done something that proves to be popular that doesnt fit the traditional model.

PSGames said:

head tracking should work better on a device capable of facial recognition which i believe the ps eye (with enough light) would be able to pull off.

it's still not going to give you a 3d effect though... but i'd love to see a shutter glasses + head tracking set up some day.

an autostereoscopic handheld is a great idea though. i'm super excited to see if that is indeed what we're getting. 3d in your pocket (FOR REALS THIS TIME) would be such a cool toy.

Gomu Gomu

plagiarize said:

it's not really doing anything particularly fancy, and it doesn't work very well outside of ideal conditions.

and it doesn't remotely trick you into thinking you're looking at something 3d either.

before you play you have to put your face in a box and take a picture. then you hope your face is well contrasted against everything else. it then shows you a screen with blue and red overlaying the live picture. what you want to see is the red on your face and only on your face, and your face remaining red as you turn the DSi about.

i got it working after maybe a dozen tries in different lighting conditions and environments.

it's a neat game. it's fun... but the head tracking isn't remotely convincing if you're looking for a 3d illusion.

plagiarize

(Today, 05:04 PM)
Reply | Quote

mclem

Dedication Through Light said:
He makes it sound like its going to be pricey, ie, over $200

I don't think it'll be too expensive; Nintendo have a habit of costing things for the market, rather than marketing things for the cost.

bdouble said:
Right but they keep doing it. Its not really new at this point. Its not that out of left field from Nintendo.

Well, even if you're always expecting some crazy crap from Nintendo at any moment, it's still interesting when they finally do spill something.

Ten-Song

gogojira said:
It's surprising to see a site that covers fucking gaming (see: Gamespot) have a room full editors post reactions, all of which refer to it as another iteration on the current DS.

OK, so it's not that surprising, but it is really frustrating.

I was going to go with "headache inducing" as my answer, personally.

GDGF

Soothsayer
orioto said:
To celebrate the new 3D reign lol,

SonicCD3D.jpg

SonicCD3D.gif

:D

I know someone is just going to bring up the cycle or whatever, but I can't wait to see the first Sonic 3DS game. You know it's going to blow minds, man.

thestopsign said:
Have there been any rumors on games for the system yet? I'm interested to see what type of support this is going to get out of the gate.

Well, they HAVE to make a Punchout 3D.
They just have to.
Also, a Nintendogs 3D would be a huge system seller.
Other than that, no.
We'll have to wait for E3 before we see any software.

AceBandage said:
They just have to.
Other than that, no.

I'm willing to bet that there are leaks/announcements of some 3rd party software before E3. Similar to how Red Steel was the first Wii game announced, before any Nintendo game was ever announced for the system. Hopefully we see something by the end of April, I'm sure some magazine will have a world exclusive or something.

Barrett2

crazy monkey said:
It should launch with avatar 3d movie on it.

This has been brought up a few times in the thread, and although unlikely, I think the idea of a Netflix rental service via the 3DS would be a freaking cash machine! Just imagine the launch trailer for the DS. You should someone playing NSMB 3DS for a few seconds, then show someone downloading some kind of scaled-down version of 3D Avatar via their 3DS Netlflix service. They would sell obscene, disgusting amounts of systems.

GDGF

Soothsayer
AceBandage said:
They just have to.
Other than that, no.

If I don't get my Starfox 3DS I'm burning the building down.

lawblob said:
This has been brought up a few times in the thread, and although unlikely, I think the idea of a Netflix rental service via the 3DS would be a freaking cash machine! Just imagine the launch trailer for the DS. You should someone playing NSMB 3DS for a few seconds, then show someone downloading some kind of scaled-down version of 3D Avatar via their 3DS Netlflix service. They would sell horrible, disgusting amounts of this system.

If Nintendo don't try to sell 3D movies on this thing, considering it's got Tegra, they're insane.

lawblob said:
This has been brought up a few times in the thread, and although unlikely, I think the idea of a Netflix rental service via the 3DS would be a freaking cash machine! Just imagine the launch trailer for the DS. You should someone playing NSMB 3DS for a few seconds, then show someone downloading some kind of scaled-down version of 3D Avatar via their 3DS Netlflix service. They would sell obscene, disgusting amounts of systems.

Well, Miyamoto wanted to include 3G on the next handheld and Avatar 3D won't be out until 2011... so who knows? It could happen (but I doubt it).

WillyFive

Drkirby said:
These are Gamespots editers? Maybe I should take up a job in Video Game News reporting. Maybe we should start GAF-News.com and show them all up :lol

We should just take over Gaming Age, and make it the best gaming news site on the web.

KamenSenshi

lawblob said:
why unlikely, wasnt there an article about netflix on the ds? 3ds being that much stronger only helps, particularly if it has an always there connection like was mentioned months ago.

GDGF said:
If I don't get my Starfox 3DS I'm burning the building down.
Last time I talked to Dylan Cuthbert, he said he's been working on an on-rails Starfox game.

Mind you, he refused to specify if it was on his own or for Nintendo.

This was...I dunno, five months ago?

Galactic Fork said:
I'm sure he's joking... but it's what he's joking about that is the scary part.
Do they really not realize that this is the successor to the DS? Nintendo said it in their press release, the follow up to the "DS Line"

plagiarize said:

Just out of curiosity, when actually playing it, was the effect better or worse compared to looking at the youtube video? (not a joke post-- I'm really curious)

TheKingsCrown said:
Do they really not realize that this is the successor to the DS? Nintendo said it in their press release, the follow up to the "DS Line"

There's a lot of stuff that Gamespot doesn't realize about... well everything.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ShockingAlberto said:
Last time I talked to Dylan Cuthbert, he said he's been working on an on-rails Starfox game.

Mind you, he refused to specify if it was on his own or for Nintendo.

This was...I dunno, five months ago?

I love you.

MomoPufflet said:
Just out of curiosity, when actually playing it, was the effect better or worse compared to looking at the youtube video? (not a joke post-- I'm really curious)
the 3d effect? nowhere like as strong. you can see it's flat the whole time. maybe if i'd closed an eye it would have looked like the youtube video.

because you have no depth perception in the 2d video, it looks like it gives a 3d effect, but it doesn't... and i'm not using that to criticise the game... just using that to say 'this isn't going to be how the 3DS works'.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't personally believe 3G is viable for two reasons.

Reason 1: 3G contracts have to be negotiated with providers in each country individually. This isn't so bad when you're making a phone that providers are then selling, but for a non-phone device would be pretty frustrating. It'd also limit the product rollout and the addressable market.

But more importantly...

Reason 2: There are two models for providing 3G. One is that you subsidize the lifetime 3G usage in the upfront purchase price. This works for the Kindle because 1) lifetime 3G bandwidth usage for a Kindle is going to be infinitesimal (not only that; but in order to use more than a tiny amount of bandwidth, you'll have to buy a lot of content which provides another avenue for the platform holder to kick money to the 3G provider). 2) the Kindle is somewhat of a loss leader device. Neither of those two angles work for Nintendo. The device will use a lot of bandwidth, and it won't be a loss leader.

The other model is to charge the user. Buy a 3G plan. This works fine for your phone, which you're carrying anyway, and the 3G plan is bundled in with a voice plan and providers jiggle things around to make it an attractive value. The same options aren't available for non-phone devices.

So, if a hypothetical game console had a $20-40 monthly fee applied to it, I think that would really frustrate users.

Now, the iPad also runs into this issue, which people will no doubt point out, and it's not a phone. The iPad is the model of how you pull off 3G on a non-phone device. The problem here is that 1) there's a significant hardware premium that wouldn't fly for a gaming device. 2) Apple has substantially more leverage over AT&T than any game creator is going to have over any phone provider. 3) The iPad doesn't yet have full regional plans.

I'm very skeptical that the market conditions for 3G on the 3DS work. I will bet against it having 3G connectivity--or at the very least that if the option is there, it won't be widely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom