• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

jufonuk said:
Retro's next game??

I do think that there's a pretty good chance that Retro's mystery next title could be a 3DS launch title, actually; they certainly know their way around the hardware if it's as rumoured.

lawblob said:
I would think a big problem with this, aside from the pure cost, would be the difficulty in explaining this to the mass market. For a service like XBOX Live or a phone contract, the end-user is aware of what they are paying for. If the first time you turned on the 3DS you have to navigate a menu, input your credit card information, and were told you would be billed X dollars a month for the next year, that instantly makes it a much more complicated device than most people think they are getting when they buy a Nintendo machine.

Oh, I agree completely. Nintendo would never do it. But I'd pay for it. Especially if it was sold at retail on game cards.

I think 3G, especially if there's a decent (3D?) browser on the device, would be worth the cost alone. Add a real online service to it, including demos, online gaming, friend lists and you have my attention.

Deku

Banned
BikoBiko said:
I'm just wondering what other features Nintendo is gonna include in the 3DS that they've introduced to their systems over the years. Mii support, SD Card, internal memory, cameras, 3DSWare? I just can't see them fitting all these things in a handheld for a reasonable price.

mii support, DSiWare doesn't add substantially to the hardware budget however. They are software items.

Internal memory and SD support is a given. camera support is probably the only real question.

Brain_Stew had suggested at least one pair of stereo cameras to take 3D pictures, which I think could really differentiate it from all the other camera capable devices.

lawblob said:
I would think a big problem with this, aside from the pure cost, would be the difficulty in explaining this to the mass market. For a service like XBOX Live or a phone contract, the end-user is aware of what they are paying for. If the first time you turned on the 3DS you have to navigate a menu, input your credit card information, and were told you would be billed X dollars a month for the next year, that instantly makes it a much more complicated device than most people think they are getting when they buy a Nintendo machine.
While you're right in your core point XBOX Live isn't exactly the best example to use.

Deku

Banned
My post got cut off at the end of the last page.

I was inquiring about 4G technical details. Anyone know what it can do?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
jufonuk said:
That would be cool but cost a lot to run, who would fact check everything/who has the rights to who can have what etc??

that would be cool though
Well, if we also had freelancing, fact checking would be tasked with the core staff. Rights would have to belong to the association (If writen by a member of submited by a freelancer) or the orignal publisher in case we could some work out a deal to get some of those Japanese magazeins to let us translate the republish there artlcles in english. We could also take a cue from the acctuall AP and form it as a Non-profit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Deku said:
Internal memory and SD support is a given. camera support is probably the only real question.

DSi backwards compatability, so I figure support for the camera, even though I'd rather it not be included at all and lower the price.

Also, about this special Sharp manufactored screen, is there any lead to suggest it would be in the 3DS? Or is it a case of "these guys made one before so its probably them"?

Hammer24

Banned
jufonuk said:
That would be cool but cost a lot to run, who would fact check everything/who has the rights to who can have what etc??

that would be cool though

Maybe the mods could take verified info and put it on a RSS feed?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EatChildren said:
DSi backwards compatability, so I figure support for the camera, even though I'd rather it not be included at all and lower the price.

Also, about this special Sharp manufactored screen, is there any lead to suggest it would be in the 3DS? Or is it a case of "these guys made one before so its probably them"?
Its a case of "These guy make current/past nintendo screens" and "These guys already can make 3D screen"

rhino4evr

EatChildren said:

I think the camera is part of the overall design. There maybe few games that use it now, because the dslite doesn't support it, but once it's included in the 3ds it will be much more common tool for developers. Seems like a good idea to me

Deku said:

Average case for Wimax seems to be between 2-4 mbps down. For gaming, that should be plenty. Upload speeds vary. It apparently can range from 100 kbps to up to 1 mbps depending on activity.

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
I don't personally believe 3G is viable for two reasons.

Reason 1: 3G contracts have to be negotiated with providers in each country individually. This isn't so bad when you're making a phone that providers are then selling, but for a non-phone device would be pretty frustrating. It'd also limit the product rollout and the addressable market.

But more importantly...

Reason 2: There are two models for providing 3G. One is that you subsidize the lifetime 3G usage in the upfront purchase price. This works for the Kindle because 1) lifetime 3G bandwidth usage for a Kindle is going to be infinitesimal (not only that; but in order to use more than a tiny amount of bandwidth, you'll have to buy a lot of content which provides another avenue for the platform holder to kick money to the 3G provider). 2) the Kindle is somewhat of a loss leader device. Neither of those two angles work for Nintendo. The device will use a lot of bandwidth, and it won't be a loss leader.

The other model is to charge the user. Buy a 3G plan. This works fine for your phone, which you're carrying anyway, and the 3G plan is bundled in with a voice plan and providers jiggle things around to make it an attractive value. The same options aren't available for non-phone devices.

So, if a hypothetical game console had a $20-40 monthly fee applied to it, I think that would really frustrate users.

Now, the iPad also runs into this issue, which people will no doubt point out, and it's not a phone. The iPad is the model of how you pull off 3G on a non-phone device. The problem here is that 1) there's a significant hardware premium that wouldn't fly for a gaming device. 2) Apple has substantially more leverage over AT&T than any game creator is going to have over any phone provider. 3) The iPad doesn't yet have full regional plans.

I'm very skeptical that the market conditions for 3G on the 3DS work. I will bet against it having 3G connectivity--or at the very least that if the option is there, it won't be widely used.

I agree with 1. It'll be tough but I don't think that will be a barring factor. If they can get the US, Japan and part of Europe then that's enough. Certain areas won't be included, some area don't have 3G service at all. It can't be a focal point but it's still a better option than Wi-fi because the entire connection can be setup automatically. To get real penetration they NEED something like it.

2 doesn't make sense. The DS has a paid content service just like Kindle that whose download costs can be used to subsidize connections to it. They don't have to enable 3G web browsing or large bandwidth applications mind you. But at least for DSiWare and the like it would be highly useful. Even then the bandwidth is like nothing, 3DSWare is likely not going to exceed 50MB and the vast majority people won't be buying games every week. But Nintendo could potentially grow their online marketplace by providing connections to it. Same thing with Nintendo Channel type things, if you can send messages and announcements to systems like you could to Wii it can be a highly useful marketing tool that would be worth paying the bandwidth for.

Iwata already said he would never do something with monthly payments.

lawblob said:

[There's one piece of Nintendo technology that could solve this problem. Integrated e-reader! Swipe a prepaid service card, you're good to go!
No, I'm not serious

Lijik

Mojojo said:
-Raving Rabb3Ds (Ubisoft)

I approve of this title.
I want in one decade the raving rabbid name to have changed so much from minor changes here and there thats its completely unrecognizable.

Deku said:

The only problem with 4G is that it isnt that widespread anyway, actually going 3G would invoke the same problem, everywhere doesnt have it. It could embrace um what is it EDGE or EVDO, or what is it by sprint WhisperNet?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A Twisty Fluken said:
[There's one piece of Nintendo technology that could solve this problem. Integrated e-reader! Swipe a prepaid service card, you're good to go!
No, I'm not serious
You would be better off with "Peel sticker to reveal QR Code" and use the camera.

Vgamer

bdouble said:
Thats the thing they didn't know what to say so they went back to the old "I don't think the audience will like that" statement. Just like the with Wii when people said gamers need buttons or "gamers need high end graphics". Kids don't need 3d? Kids are going to go apeshit over this thing. 3d is the way we see the world. It works for everyone.

Ya I think they never expected Nintendo would go the 3d screen route. I imagine Sony must be having emergency meetings with their handheld engineers to discuss this and try and figure out how they will combat and talk down this feature with the PSP2.

|ync

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been posted yet but search didn't turn up anything and people keep reposting that DSi video that obviously has nothing to do with the 3DS, so..

I would guess that the 3D effect will be much closer to what you get with the Wazabee 3DeeShell for the iPhone. This tech is just a filter in front of the screen and it reflects half the pixels one way and half the other, which might not be physically how the 3DS works but I imagine the effect is pretty similar.

Obviously it doesn't show up on video too well, but you can sort of see the effect around 6:30 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hlDOIYrfc0 (seriously jump straight to 6:30, worst unboxing video ever)

Dedication Through Light said:
The only problem with 4G is that it isnt that widespread anyway, actually going 3G would invoke the same problem, everywhere doesnt have it. It could embrace um what is it EDGE or EVDO, or what is it by sprint WhisperNet?
Well, the reason I brought it up is that 4G will make 3G a non-issue soon enough. By 2012, 4G will be rolled out in every major city + a few rural areas. Sprint allows multiple people to connect through 1 4G connection so Nintendo has no need to put in a built-in mobile internet connection. Right now, there's no economically feasible (For both nintendo and the provider) to offer a service to a console. In the future, you can connect to a 4G connection via a router that connects to the 4G service.

hipgnosis

Vgamer said:
Ya I think they never expected Nintendo would go the 3d screen route. I imagine Sony must be having emergency meetings with their handheld engineers to discuss this and try and figure out how they will combat and talk down this feature with the PSP2.
True. 3D is a must now if you want to compete with Nintendo in the handheld market, interesting to see what Sony comes up with the new PSP.

Somnid

mugurumakensei said:
Well, the reason I brought it up is that 4G will make 3G a non-issue soon enough. By 2012, 4G will be rolled out in every major city + a few rural areas. Sprint allows multiple people to connect through 1 4G connection so Nintendo has no need to put in a built-in mobile internet connection. Right now, there's no economically feasible (For both nintendo and the provider) to offer a service to a console. In the future, you can connect to a 4G connection via a router that connects to the 4G service.

4G is just a buzzword. There is no existing network that meets the 4G spec.

|ync said:
I'd be surprised if this hasn't been posted yet but search didn't turn up anything and people keep reposting that DSi video that obviously has nothing to do with the 3DS, so..

I would guess that the 3D effect will be much closer to what you get with the Wazabee 3DeeShell for the iPhone. This tech is just a filter in front of the screen and it reflects half the pixels one way and half the other, which might not be physically how the 3DS works but I imagine the effect is pretty similar.

Obviously it doesn't show up on video too well, but you can sort of see the effect around 6:30 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hlDOIYrfc0 (seriously jump straight to 6:30, worst unboxing video ever)
whoa

Duelist

So I have a question for the techies.

How do you think it would be possible for the 3DS to be 3D and have tilt and motion sensing when a change of viewing angle might disrupt the 3D effect?

Somnid said:
4G is just a buzzword. There is no existing network that meets the 4G spec.

That may be true but saying "WiMax(Sprint) and LTE(Verizon, ATT)" can add unnecessary fluff whereas saying "4G" will let people know what you're talking about without even needing to write out too much.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Copying my post from a few pages back. Hopefully this helps clarify some things.

Mods - The OP should be updated to include more info. This way there is a single reference point and people don't have to dig thru the thread. These info seems pretty solid/credible.

More rumors/speculation not in the OP:

* 3D achieved with a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp
* Higher resolution screens
* The 2 screens might not have a gap between them or the gap will be much smaller
* The display can be used as 2 separate screens or used as one big screen - it may even switch between the two modes during gameplay
* It will have some type of tilt function more advanced or in addition to what's in iPhone
* Graphics similar to GameCube
* Similar development environment as GameCube and Wii
* Third party developers will have their games ready for end of the year release
* Final hardware decisions/inclusions are not finalized
* May include a free lifetime online access in exchange for a higher retail price

Links:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-to-come-with-3d-control-stick-vibration-and-sha/
http://rpad.tv/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds2-information-unearthed-at-gdc-2010/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235077?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/30/nintendo.ds.sequel.may.follow.kindle.model/

Vitet

Duelist said:

How do you think it would be possible for the 3DS to be 3D and have tilt and motion sensing when a change of viewing angle might disrupt the 3D effect?

That's what the motion sensor is for. To adjust the angle

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Duelist said:

How do you think it would be possible for the 3DS to be 3D and have tilt and motion sensing when a change of angle might disrupt the 3D effect?
1) There really is no tilt (The rumor even says its still being looked into)
2) There is no tilt for 3D games
3) Its irrelivent with the tech they are using
4) It has gryroscopes and other trickery to compensate for it.

Pick a card.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Duelist said:

That's why I think that tilt is still in "consideration". A plausible solution would be to use face tracking to adjust the viewing angle. (But we don't even know what tech is Nintendo using...).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
|ync said:

The expectation is that it would be similar, all glass-less 3D has to rely on deflecting one image to one eye and one to the other. Hopefully the tech would be a bit more advanced in the DS solution, because a filter like that will have a very poor range of viewing angles.

hipgnosis said:
True. 3D is a must now if you want to compete with Nintendo in the handheld market, interesting to see what Sony comes up with the new PSP.

3D is certainly not a must. The reason the next PSP is essentially fucked is because of the whole rumored 3DS package (3D, battery life, gcn graphics, etc). IF some miracle happenes and Sony manages to have smooth online play anywhere on the PSP2 regardless of wi-fi or regular cellular service at a decent price, that would be a lot more important than having a 3D screen. It won't happen, but I'm saying that they would need something as strong and unique on their platform. The PSP did fine without a touch screen or two screens because its edge was the increased hardware power, which obviously won't be as big a factor anymore now that the 3DS is rumored to have more power as well. The opposite is also true to say that the DS did more than fine without having hardware on par with the PSP.

As it stands, the (rumored) 3DS ended the war before it started. Sony would need to do the impossible and have console-quality online gaming to make the PSP2 seem worth it.

LJ11

TheGreatDave said:
Sony's "commitment" to 3D through super expensive TVs nobody is going to have for years is quite funny. I guess they're at least laying the groundwork for when it's realistically going to be commonplace...

When you walk in to buy a hdtv in a couple of years the majority will be capable of 3D. This is just like the transition from 720P to 1080P, it's a premium now but won't be very soon. Whether people use the feature or not is a different story.

PSGames

|ync said:

Interesting. I bet that's exactly what it is. I'm sure Sharp has a more advanced method as well.

LJ11 said:
When you walk in to buy a hdtv in a couple of years the majority will be capable of 3D. This is just like the transition from 720P to 1080P, it's a premium now but won't be very soon. Whether people use the feature or not is a different story.

the problem is not just the TV
you need a 3D enabled blu ray player and a 3D enabled amp(to get 3D sound,I mean) too
and that will burn a big hole in your pocket

Ricker

Duelist said:

I won`t but we have to suffer for a few years still of this 3D talk,when no one buys it(i`m talking general 3D,not the 3DS)because,it`s too expensive,doesn`t work well,unless it`s on IMAX or something,like Avatar,which costs millions to make,it`s too pricey or complicated for mass appeal,3D will go back in hiding for 30 years or so :D

Mael

Linkzg said:
3D is certainly not a must. The reason the next PSP is essentially fucked is because of the whole rumored 3DS package (3D, battery life, gcn graphics, etc). IF some miracle happenes and Sony manages to have smooth online play anywhere on the PSP2 regardless of wi-fi or regular cellular service at a decent price, that would be a lot more important than having a 3D screen. It won't happen, but I'm saying that they would need something as strong and unique on their platform. The PSP did fine without a touch screen or two screens because its edge was the increased hardware power, which obviously won't be as big a factor anymore now that the 3DS is rumored to have more power as well. The opposite is also true to say that the DS did more than fine without having hardware on par with the PSP.

As it stands, the (rumored) 3DS ended the war before it started. Sony would need to do the impossible and have console-quality online gaming to make the PSP2 seem worth it.

You do realize that most people don't care about online gaming on console?
I mean there's a HUGE number of people not connecting their systems to the interweb, so why would a system that do just that be interesting to them?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mugurumakensei said:
That may be true but saying "WiMax(Sprint) and LTE(Verizon, ATT)" can add unnecessary fluff whereas saying "4G" will let people know what you're talking about without even needing to write out too much.

That only serves to exacerbate the international issues. I'm guessing you're American. I'm not. Nintendo is not. No tech they work on will ever be geared towards deployment in the US as opposed to elsewhere. This is just another reason why neither 3G nor future 4G techs will make it into the 3DS or other gaming handhelds; that's just a layer of grief and frustration that game console manufacturers are not going to want to deal with.

hipgnosis

Linkzg said:

3D is hot shit now in the market and Sony is investing in the technology with the PS3, I don't see why Sony wouldn't go 3D with the handhelds. A casual gamer don't give a fuck about online play on the handhelds as the popularity of the DS has proven. While it has online play capability, not many uses it. 3D is a pretty strong selling point so why not invest in it?

They might come up with something totally new aswell, but we'll see.

LJ11

iamaustrian said:
the problem is not just the TV
you need a 3D enabled blu ray player and a 3D enabled amp(to get 3D sound,I mean) too
and that will burn a big hole in your pocket

You're correct, you would need other upgrades, but more important than that is content to actually watch. NBA/NFL/NHL (they're actually doing a live 3D hockey game this month) have messed around with the tech but it's just that, messing around. People need a reason to actually use them besides movies. You still have other issues to deal with (eye strain, glasses), but content is a big issue.

I guess they have eliminated the need to announce a Wii successor this year by this news. This will be the hottest thing at E3 now and will completely overshadow anything Nintendo related not titled Mario or Zelda at the conference

i'm happy with the amount of content that will be available in 3d to me when i hopefully get my set this summer. there's a large amount of gaming content available on PC in 3d today, and things will only improve i'd expect.

Mael said:
You do realize that most people don't care about online gaming on console?
I mean there's a HUGE number of people not connecting their systems to the interweb, so why would a system that do just that be interesting to them?

You say most people like World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare 2/ANY FPS UNDER THE SUN aren't driven by multiplayer. I'm assuming the people who don't care about online gaming are the ones who play games on the Wii, because it is a pretty damn important on the PS3 and 360. There is a good reason (and bad outcome) for why every game now has an online component. This is ignoring the social and community stuff XBL is all about.

It's less about appealing to every human person and more giving a reason, albeit a single important reason, to consider the PSP2 over the 3DS. Because at this point Nintendo seems to have locked down everything else on the portable gaming from including the (rumored) great battery life (I can't believe Sony and Apple don't consider that good battery life is important).

hipgnosis said:
3D is hot shit now in the market and Sony is investing in the technology with the PS3, I don't see why Sony wouldn't go 3D with the handhelds. A casual gamer don't give a fuck about online play on the handhelds as the popularity of the DS has proven. While it has online play capability, not many uses it. 3D is a pretty strong selling point so why not invest in it?

They might come up with something totally new aswell, but we'll see.

you really think people care more about 3D than online? really?

and again, are these the same casual players that are all about those facebook games, WoW, the shooters on the Xbox, etc? online gaming is a big thing, dude. I'm not saying it is required or anything since the tech isn't here yet to provide a reliable experience anywhere, but if the impossible happens and Sony finds a solution, that is pretty much the only thing they can do that would add more value to it over the 3DS.

I'm serious about that question. I feel like you're just messing with me.

I'd say 3D for the PSP2 is likely

In fact I would bet money they planned to announce it at E3, but are now likely going to keep it quiet for a little bit and retool it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom