• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Tadale said:
They're guessing that most of their early adopters are classic Nintendo fans, who appreciate these old games. Especially with the GBA titles, since there's no practical way to play these games on a modern system.

I think it was a good bet.

Definitely.

They certainly nailed the early adopter as a Nintendo enthusiast.

BurntPork said:
Because people here apparently need a platform to have at least three great games a month to be worth buying, despite the fact that most of them have at least three gaming platforms and can just play on one of the other platforms during the gaps.

In other words, gamers are entitled.

Fixed that for you.

Suikoguy said:
I don't expect them to give away a non-Nintendo game.
This is purely so they can say "We gave early adopters 20 FREE GAMES, we are so awesome". When in actuality, for gamers who don't want to replay old games, this is crap.

They were at least produced this millennia.

Speak for yourself. They didn't have to give anything to early adopters. What, were you going to all of a sudden sell your 3DS if they didn't offer you these 20 games? No. You'd be dumb since you'd have taken a loss only to buy it at a later date. What, were you expecting them to send us all OOT 3D? A free 3DS? What? A refund? What would have made you feel better?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
kIdMuScLe said:
What's gamestop current trade in price for a 3DS?

I believe its $170 store credit + $25 from a promo. So, around $195 give or take $10. I shall be trading mine in and paying off Dues Ex, Warhammer and more. Better use out of the system for me. =/

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Green Biker Dude said:
anyone who didn't see a price drop coming was blind. this thing can't be priced the same as the ngp. sony has to drop the ngp price asap to at least 200 though. and even that is still expensive.

the 3ds is still too expensive as well though. especially when it has no games, no relevant gimmick, no horsepower and no battery life. battery life will probably be improved in the revision, but i don't really see any interesting announcements or released games for it at this point. ngp has nothing interesting either.

those battery packs I have been seeing online point to Nintendo using this as a work around (though cannot see any for sale in the UK), unless they release an Offical Battery Upgrade Ala Wii Motion Plus. seeing as the Batter uses normal screws to replace.

Random points on this:

- I too think Nintendo offers nobody anything. Games and consoles always drop in price. Sure, its a big drop in only 5 months, so I can understand being mad/angry/annoyed/disappointed/etc., but it is what it is.
- This price drop right before the holidays, this thing is about to explode sales wise, IMO.
- That said, Im still 100% not interested.... even with the price drop. Its been apparent since the Wii was release that they aren't catering to me anymore.... or perhaps I have grown apart from them.
- Every time someone post "What games are even coming out for *Nintendo system*?" and someone post a list of 10-15 games, I usually only reconize only 4ish of those games, tops. And out of those 4, maybe only a general curiosity in 1-2 of them and the other 2 Ive played before 2-3 generations ago. And thats despite pretty much being a Professional Internet Surfing spending a majority of that time on GAF and other gaming related websites.

Good move by Nintendo though. Help push units this fall, and a nice little package for early adopters as well.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Look at it this way, if you bought the system around launch, you would've spent that money by now anyway :p

Infamous 1 and LBP 1 are pretty cheap these days. Wipeout HD as well, and Dead Nation isnt exactly that great of a game.

Hell it might have been better if they gave out PS1 games. A genre pack of 5-10 games for free would've been nice.
And I would have had two additional 3DS games when I spent the 80 dollars

I'd never have bought these NES and GBA games if they were in the eShop, so for me it's a great oppurtunity to try them out.

The downside is that we'll be able to download them all (at least the 10 games which have been posted) at once. For me that's a problem as I'll constantly switch between these games and probably won't finish any of them :p

Special J

Banned
what is it about the last 5 years that the leaders of an established pecking order have fallen.

PS dominance in home console (PS1, PS2) to fall to last this generation
Nintendo's dominance in handheld market (gameboy,ds) to uncertain futures
Phone Nokia Symbian dominance to now a market dominated by iOS, Android
Tech Industry Microsoft now Apple and Google both have much greater profit/revenues (more importantly mindshare)
Middleeast/African liberation from dictators which have ruled for decades.

Hold me im scared ;(

tim.mbp

Kintaro said:
I believe its $170 store credit + $25 from a promo. So, around $195 give or take $10. I shall be trading mine in and paying off Dues Ex, Warhammer and more. Better use out of the system for me. =/

Thread on CAG says $150.

Sadist

Suikoguy said:
Those must be a really nice pair of rose colored glasses you have there, what brand did you get? This would be like the PS3 doing a quick price drop then giving away a bunch of psx games. Your comparison is not even close to equal.
I'm not comparing oh shortsighted one.

Personally, I'm okay with twenty free games.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
LovingSteam said:
Speak for yourself. They didn't have to give anything to early adopters. What, were you going to all of a sudden sell your 3DS if they didn't offer you these 20 games? No. You'd be dumb since you'd have taken a loss only to buy it at a later date. What, were you expecting them to send us all OOT 3D? A free 3DS? What? A refund? What would have made you feel better?

They don't have to do anything. But, it's obvious that Nintendo is banking on 20 ports being adequate enough to keep their early adopters happy.

TheApatheticOne said:
- This price drop right before the holidays, this thing is about to explode sales wise, IMO.
- That said, Im still 100% not interested.... even with the price drop. Its been apparent since the Wii was release that they aren't catering to me anymore.... or perhaps I have grown apart from them.

Nintendo has released more of their "core" games for the Wii than they have on any of their other consoles since probably the SNES so...I'm not really sure what you're getting at

And lol at folks who are going to trade/sell the system for $190-200 only to buy it again at $170. You most likely spent $250 on the system plus tax. You will have lost $50-60 if you sell it at $190-200. You then buy the system again at $170+tax. You're still at a loss. Doesn't even make sense.

Suikoguy said:
They don't have to do anything. But, it's obvious that Nintendo is banking on 20 ports being adequate enough to keep their early adopters happy.

And what would make you happy?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Suikoguy said:
Those twenty free games seem to be more of an apology really.

darkside31337 said:
I honestly don't understand why gamers have this sense of entitlement when it comes to being an early adopter.

When you're an early adopter of the first edition of technology you know the risks you take. One of those is the fact that the thing you bought today will be cheaper for somebody else to buy down the line.

Only seems like its recently where people think they're entitled to free crap for buying early and then realizing that it was a dumb idea afterwards.

They're giving you 20 free games, evidently 10 of them which you can't acquire afterwards (that seriously cant be right) and somehow that doesn't placate you? Just ridiculous really.

It's the timing though. Early adopters expect to pay a higher price and that things can change down the line, but they also have a reasonable expectation of being in the honeymoon window. For example, if you buy the new iPhone 5 the day it launches this September, nobody expects the iPhone 6 to be out two weeks later, or the price to drop by half. That's a reasonable expectation of the time frame. If either of those were to happen, people would be pissed even if they were early adopters.

Nobody expects the price to drop just a few months after release, and even if a price drop were to happen, nobody expects it to drop by a dramatic third of the price. So at least understandably, I can see why people would be upset. I think it's silly to write off people's annoyance simply because they were early adopters.

Kintaro

LovingSteam said:
And lol at folks who are going to trade/sell the system for $190-200 only to buy it again at $170. You most likely spent $250 on the system plus tax. You will have lost $50-60 if you sell it at $190-200. You then buy the system again at $170+tax. You're still at a loss. Doesn't even make sense.

I don't know about anyone else, but I won't be buying it again.

Special J

Banned
Suikoguy said:

indeed the entitlement of gamers have gone through the roof.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
LovingSteam said:

A free mail-in first party title with receipt of purchase and serial number.

That's a 40 dollar value, for a 80 dollar price drop after 5 months.

LovingSteam said:

You're at a loss but at least less of a loss. What doesn't make sense? If someone handed you $20, you'd throw it back in their face?

LovingSteam said:

You should have thought this out a little better... if you could sell your used car for more than the cost of the same car brand new... you can't figure the math out to the advantage of that?

It doesn't matter what you paid originally.. even if you break even, you are still basically getting a "free exchange" for brand new hardware. If you can sell your old one for $20 more than a new one.. well.. you just made $20 AND was able to exchange a device you normally wouldn't be able to... the initial money you spent is already long gone, and doesn't factor into any new transaction.

Gwanatu T

LovingSteam said:

It does make sense, especially in my situation because I bought it with gift cards and trade in credit, and with only about $100 or less out of my pocket. Let's say though that someone didn't do this though and they bought it with cash. The smart consumer would have bought it online to avoid paying tax meaning they spent an even $250 on the system. I don't know about anyone else that bought it on launch, but i definitely got my money's worth out of the system. If you trade it in today at Gamestop you get $160 in store credit, and which is only $10 less than the price of a brand new system. There is no tax on store credit, so at worst we're talking a $10 loss simply because you can buy a new one for $170, and you have to take the last 5 months of time and enjoyment in to account for "cost" anyway. If you trade in 3 games at Gamestop right now you get an extra $10 in trade-in credit, essentially making up that loss on the system. Couple that with using that credit toward one of the big titles this year to get an extra 40% trade-in credit and you really cannot lose in this.

SuomiDude

Now this is a price I'm willing to spend on 3DS. Though I still might wait for a revision, as I've read about too many problems with the current system (battery, screen scratching and stuff) and the system doesn't really have a killer app for me just yet. But the price is definately right now.

zoukka

Wait people are mad at Nintendo? Holy shit you guys are insane, nobody forced you to buy a freaking games console on day1 :DDD

Suikoguy said:
A free mail-in first party title with receipt of purchase and serial number.

That's a 40 dollar value, for a 80 dollar price drop after 5 months.
Outside Zelda, all the 1st party games can be had for under $40 now.

Would you really take something like Steel Diver over 20 VC games (including greats like Zelda 1, Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion)?

Has it been confirmed that I can go to walmart or best buy, buy a 3ds, get the price protection, get the 20 free games and then when the price drops go back and get the difference? Should work right?

Majmun

I'd be pissed if I was an early adapter. None of the 20 free games are interesting. I've already owned/played most of them and don't have any interest in the rest.

I'd rather want my money back or have the option to chose the games I actually want for free.

Gravijah

SteveWinwood said:
Has it been confirmed that I can go to walmart or best buy, buy a 3ds, get the price protection, get the 20 free games and then when the price drops go back and get the difference? Should work right?

There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. Just make sure price protection lasts until the price drop.

lunchwithyuzo said:

Would you really take something like Steel Diver over 20 VC games (including greats like Zelda 1, Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion)?
Really? Where can you get Pilotwings cheap? Cheapest I've seen is $35 at amazon.

Kintaro

BurntPork said:
Then, why did you buy it in the first place, and what has changed to make you not want it anymore?

Geeked out. Thought there would be more than this out at this point. Merc was rather blah. SSF4 I had on console already (same with BlazBlue), Zelda was okay. But...nothing else until the fall which is SWAMPED with games. Also, what Marty is talking about. This fire sale (Kohler calls it what it is at the moment) leaves a bad taste in my mouth and does not inspire me much.

The massive price drop is a direct reaction to the slow adoption rate of 3DS. Nintendo first noted in April that the new machine was selling at a slower-than-expected rate since its launch in Japan in February of this year.

Last week, game publisher Sega delayed two of its upcoming 3DS games. It did not give an official reason for the delay, but one of the games’ developers said in an interview that it was because of the lack of sales of the system.

Earlier this week, reports indicated that Konami’s upcoming Metal Gear Solid game for the 3DS had also been pushed back to 2012.

Additionally, publisher Capcom recently pulled the plug entirely on its planned 3DS game Mega Man Legends 3.

So, I'll cut my losses and move on.

Now the price seems reasonable. And it definetely puts PS Vita in a bad position regarding its price. But I am VERY afraid (and cannot understand yet) of what made Nintendo do a move like that just 6 months after launching the 3DS.

Suikoguy

lunchwithyuzo said:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I mentioned mail-in so they can include games coming out soon.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Kintaro said:

when the hell is this coming out in Euro Land FFS :(
I dont mean to derail but all this talk about 3DS software and other games are brought up.. no EU release date yet i dont think

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just bought one inside the price protection window for Wal-Mart. Paid $198. Didn't buy any games. Will go back in a few weeks to do the price protection. :)

System update took a while. We went with aqua-teal-blue-whatever.

MrMephistoX

nVidiot_Whore said:
You should have thought this out a little better... if you could sell your used car for more than the cost of the same car brand new... you can't figure the math out to the advantage of that?

It doesn't matter what you paid originally.. even if you break even, you are still basically getting a "free exchange" for brand new hardware. If you can sell your old one for $20 more than a new one.. well.. you just made $20 AND was able to exchange a device you normally wouldn't be able to... the initial money you spent is already long gone, and doesn't factor into any new transaction.

Just sold mine today for $200 before I heard about the price drop and no I'm not issuing a refund ;) I'll keep OOT because I intend to get a 3DSL eventually though.

donny2112

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

They'll probably be available for "free" with the purchase of the 3DS equivalent title. Maybe an early adopter bonus for those games. They wouldn't be available to the general public, but they would be available, if you buy the right 3DS games.

Very glad that it's dropping to $170 in the U.S., but probably will still wait until 3DSXL with movie support. :)

Top Bottom