• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However,this is not a price drop,this is a price kill.
...Please,put Price Kill in the title instead of Price Drop :lol

MrMephistoX

donny2112 said:
They'll probably be available for "free" with the purchase of the 3DS equivalent title. Maybe an early adopter bonus for those games. They wouldn't be available to the general public, but they would be available, if you buy the right 3DS games.

Very glad that it's dropping to $170 in the U.S., but probably will still wait until 3DSXL with movie support. :)

If that's all they're offering might as well snag a used PSP.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Outside Zelda, all the 1st party games can be had for under $40 now.

Would you really take something like Steel Diver over 20 VC games (including greats like Zelda 1, Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion)?

Some of us have played these games several times over, so I wouldn't be really happy about playing <game> for the ##th time.

atre324

donny2112 said:
They'll probably be available for "free" with the purchase of the 3DS equivalent title. Maybe an early adopter bonus for those games. They wouldn't be available to the general public, but they would be available, if you buy the right 3DS games.

Very glad that it's dropping to $170 in the U.S., but probably will still wait until 3DSXL with movie support. :)

Ugh this is exactly my dilemma... 170 makes me want to get one, but I know the second I do I will fall victim to Nintendo's penchant for releasing upgraded versions of their handhelds :( I guess I wouldn't mind paying for the 3DSXL, if the screen size is as big of an upgrade as the DSI XL.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
pestul said:
You have to ask? Taking someone to the cleaners where they might not be aware of an impending price drop is cool now? Its just cruel bro. And wrong.
It's not as if people looking for deals on Craigslist are forced to buy at whatever price he would be offering it at. If you don't want to pay $200+ for a 3DS on craigslist then don't. Wait it out for the price drop or look for another deal. No one has a gun to their head.

soultron

Banned
BurntPork said:
I'm happy to save money, but I don't want Nintendo to leave gaming, and this is the first step toward that. Like I said, this is Nintendo's Saturn.
I don't want to eat humble pie later on, but fuckin' LOL.

Let's wait to see how WiiU does first before we keep on knee-jerkin'.

BurntPork

Banned
Kintaro said:
Geeked out. Thought there would be more than this out at this point. Merc was rather blah. SSF4 I had on console already (same with BlazBlue), Zelda was okay. But...nothing else until the fall which is SWAMPED with games. Also, what Marty is talking about. This fire sale (Kohler calls it what it is at the moment) leaves a bad taste in my mouth and does not inspire me much.

So, I'll cut my losses and move on.
Okay, but why totally write it off? Things may change. I mean, it's not like 3DS is the first system ever to have a shitty first-year line-up.

Not gonna lie. I'm going to buy a 3DS at that price. My first handheld in the past 12 years.

$170 is an incredible attractive price. Too bad Nintendo will be taking a loss.

If anything, now is a perfect time to screw over Gamestop if you hate them. Let them buy it back for more and they'll have to sell it at a loss come the price drop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Marty Chinn said:
If anything, now is a perfect time to screw over Gamestop if you hate them. Let them buy it back for more and they'll have to sell it at a loss come the price drop.

this really doesn't work because:

1) they buy your device in store credit and sell it in cash and cash is worth more than store credit

2) the odds of the 3ds having >$150 trade-in credit at gamestop right now are pretty low

Lasthope106 said:
Not gonna lie. I'm going to buy a 3DS at that price. My first handheld in the past 12 years.

$170 is an incredible attractive price. Too bad Nintendo will be taking a loss.

i'm sure they'll do just fine selling N64 ports at $40.

Suikoguy said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I mentioned mail-in so they can include games coming out soon.
That wouldn't happen. And it's also not something Sony did with the PSN downtime offer.

outunderthestars said:
i'm sure they'll do just fine selling N64 ports at $40.
You mean all both of them?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Stumpokapow said:

1) they buy your device in store credit and sell it in cash and cash is worth more than store credit

2) the odds of the 3ds having >$150 trade-in credit at gamestop right now are pretty low
As previously stated If you go in today (midday) mind you it'll be worth more than 150 trade in credit. They can't change the amount of trade in credit until all the stores close tonight. If you buy games a lot it's still pretty much a win-win with the trade in credit.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
LovingSteam said:
To those of you who have sold or traded your 3DS already, how are you going to transfer your purchases/saves onto the new 3DS?
Saves (that can be deleted) are on the carts.

And there's not really a lot to buy on the eShop now anyway. In my case, I left all my DSiWare on my DSi just in case something happened.

Gwanatu T

Stumpokapow said:

It's $160 trade-in at Gamestop right now. They cannot change the price until the next day, it's just the way their system works. Trade it in today and you win, period.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slightly OT, but just saw an ad on ITV for 3DS that all but screamed 'for the love of God, this is a new platform, not a DS variant!'

I think Nintendo's own research must show confusion in the market in order for them to push out ads like this. It was so explicit. It highlighted 'groundbreaking' new hardware and graphics, the circle pad, 'state of the art' online functionality and even ended with the tag line 'it's not DS, it's Nintendo 3DS'.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gwanatu T said:
It's $160 trade-in at Gamestop right now. They cannot change the price until the next day, it's just the way their system works. Trade it in today and you win, period.

They can have the DMs call the stores and tell them to manually lower it though.

clav

With the Yen getting stronger by the day (77 yen to one US dollar now as opposed to 120 yen to a dollar over a decade ago), this will definitely cut into Nintendo's profits.

BLagiver

Banned
dinosaur_hunter2 said:
Now the price seems reasonable. And it definetely puts PS Vita in a bad position regarding its price. But I am VERY afraid (and cannot understand yet) of what made Nintendo do a move like that just 6 months after launching the 3DS.

Probably because of all the game delays and cancellations by 3rd party devs and the fact 3ds aren't flying off the shelves.

These are the things that happen when people have some self control when it comes to buying Nintendo products and waiting to buy it when its at a decent price or has the features they want.

Nintendo has to do what we want you cant just let them run around and do what they want like you have been because of your nostalgia and lack of control.

I didn't buy any of the Nintendo vc stuff because its overpriced at 8- 10 dollars for snes and n64 games when on he ps3 and x360 ps1 titles and such are cheaper. We the gamers need to start taking back control.

Im not even thinking about getting wii u until it has the online I want and demand. You gonna have to play ball If you want my money. No more free nostalgia passes. You better have a new ip exclusive as well Nintendo.

Gintamen

BurntPork said:
Okay, but why totally write it off? Things may change. I mean, it's not like 3DS is the first system ever to have a shitty first-year line-up.
Don't you understand, he bought it for one year only. :p Some GAFers gonna cry and that's no news to anybody here. As if anybody could go into a electronic shop to get those 30% that were slashes of the TV price after half a year, 'cause it got that much cheaper.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gwanatu T said:

Well you don't really win because point 1 still exists, and it's entirely possible they'll sell used 3DSes for $160 so you'd be inflicting an amazing 1 cent of damage on their evil corporate empire if it didn't :p

Marty Chinn said:
Nobody expects the price to drop just a few months after release, and even if a price drop were to happen, nobody expects it to drop by a dramatic third of the price.
Within half a year of release in the US: N64, Dreamcast, and GameCube prices were down a fourth, and Xbox a third. Big half-year drops aren't uncommon for systems not doing great or in heavy competition. 3DS's is a bit quicker, but they're also doing more to appease those who've already jumped in.

LovingSteam said:
lol. Exactly. So now you've spent $270+ for your 3DS lol.

So not only do you pay more, but you also lose out on the free games (even though a lot of them are trash, still free Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion is nice) AND go through the hassle of transferring all your shit from one system to another!

StevieP

Banned
BLagiver said:
Probably because of all the game delays and cancellations by 3rd party devs and the fact 3ds aren't flying off the shelves.

These are the things that happen when people have some self control when it comes to buying Nintendo products and waiting to buy it when its at a decent price or has the features they want.

Nintendo has to do what we want you cant just let them run around and do what they want like you have been because of your nostalgia and lack of control.

I didn't buy any of the Nintendo vc stuff because its overpriced at 8- 10 dollars for snes and n64 games when on he ps3 and x360 ps1 titles and such are cheaper. We the gamers need to start taking back control.

Im not even thinking about getting wii u until it has the online I want and demand. You gonna have to play ball If you want my money. No more free nostalgia passes. You better have a new ip exclusive as well Nintendo.

Now this is a quality post. A+

I also want Nintendo to charge for a peer-to-peer matchmaking service. I also think Majora's Mask was not worth the $10 I paid for it on VC. It should be $0.99, much as with all the quality lengthy games on certain other platforms.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ninja Scooter said:
So not only do you pay more, but you also lose out on the free games (even though a lot of them are trash, still free Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion is nice) AND go through the hassle of transferring all your shit from one system to another!

No, you wouldn't be able to transfer stuff. When you trade your 3DS, you lose your stuff. You'd need to buy the other 3DS first to be able to transfer stuff.

Gwanatu T

LovingSteam said:
To those of you who have sold or traded your 3DS already, how are you going to transfer your purchases/saves onto the new 3DS?
Quite honestly there is nothing worth my money on the EShop, so I don't have anything to carry over. Saves are on the carts if you want to keep those, but i already platinum'ed Pilotwings, so I don't really need to keep the save (there's nothing else to do!)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
StevieP said:
Now this is a quality post. A+

I also want Nintendo to charge for a peer-to-peer matchmaking service. I also think Majora's Mask was not worth the $10 I paid for it on VC. It should be $0.99, much as with all the quality lengthy games on certain other platforms.

wat

Edit: I may have overlooked the sarcasm here, hopefully.

depward

As a 3DS early-adopter, I can't say I'm mad about the price drop. This is the way it is with technology and gadgets. I'm grateful Nintendo is giving us some free stuff.

I'm happy about this price-drop. The 3DS really is an amazing piece of technology. The 3D, to me, is a game-changer and I just love playing games like OoT and PES with the 3D on.

I hope lots of folks pick up the 3DS now so they can see first-hand how great the 3D technology is.

Gwanatu T said:

It's $150 at Amazon.

Plus $150 at Amazon is far better than $160 at Gamestop.

qq more

StevieP said:
I also think Majora's Mask was not worth the $10 I paid for it on VC. It should be $0.99, much as with all the quality lengthy games on certain other platforms.

What?

EDIT:
Plinko said:
Edit: I may have overlooked the sarcasm here, hopefully.
Oh, okay. Nevermind. I feel dumb now :lol

Stumpokapow said:
No, you wouldn't be able to transfer stuff. When you trade your 3DS, you lose your stuff. You'd need to buy the other 3DS first to be able to transfer stuff.

So new plan: You sell your 3DS, but put a little scratch on the back so you know which one it is. Then on Aug. 12 buy a new 3DS with that money + $20 of your own money, then go back to Gamestop, REBUY your old 3DS, transfer your stuff, then re-sell them the old 3DS for a loss. HAHA GAMESTOP TROLLED!@

D-Pad

Awesome! Price drop means I can get a Red 3DS AND a PS Vita this Christmas. Assuming NA gets Red 3DS of course. If not then I'm dropping gaming all together.

ghibli99

I'm shocked and not surprised all at once w/ this announcement. As an early adopter, I feel slighted, but the free games helps numb the pain a bit. I was expecting a price drop before the end of the year, but not so soon (less than 5 months in!) and not so deep. I was thinking a $50 cut to $199 around the holidays, not a nearly 1/3 slash in the middle of summer.

Either way, the bottom line is that there are no games. I don't even remember the DS launch window being this crappy (maybe it was?), but with the only games I own being OoT and RR, I feel like a chump for buying this thing (and understandably so). Even at $170, I can't really make a case for it for most people.

PaulLFC

Is there confirmation of this ~£130 UK price anywhere?

I'm hoping it's not another "retailers set the price" deal like it was at launch.

Top Bottom