• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Ninja Scooter said:
So new plan: You sell your 3DS, but put a little scratch on the back so you know which one it is. Then on Aug. 12 buy a new 3DS with that money + $20 of your own money, then go back to Gamestop, REBUY your old 3DS, transfer your stuff, then re-sell them the old 3DS for a loss. HAHA GAMESTOP TROLLED!@

BUT YOU GET A NEW 3DS!!!!

Boney

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
You mean all both of them?
Just 1.

Starfox don't sell it just bombs.

StevieP said:
It was much worse.
By this time, Canvas Curse, Pheonix Wright and Trauma Center were already out, and Advance Wars was just about to come out.

And PiT, but we don't talk about that because is sucks.

gofreak said:
Slightly OT, but just saw an ad on ITV for 3DS that all but screamed 'for the love of God, this is a new platform, not a DS variant!'

I think Nintendo's own research must show confusion in the market in order for them to push out ads like this. It was so explicit. It highlighted 'groundbreaking' new hardware and graphics, the circle pad, 'state of the art' online functionality and even ended with the tag line 'it's not DS, it's Nintendo 3DS'.

Well to be fair, Nintendo seemed to think that after the marketing Blitz for the DS and Wii the 3DS would sell itself. Either Nintendos Marketing Team blasted all their braincells with booze after the roaring success of their earlier campaigns, or they simply died, because the 3DS advertising so far has been absolutely horrendous.

It used the same narrative, visual language, everything.

They need a different approach to represent it.

ghibli99

StevieP said:
It was much worse.
I remember there at least being a bit more in the way of interesting/experimental software like Feel the Magic and Yoshi Touch & Go, which at least felt new to players. With the 3DS, they assumed 3D would carry them, but it becomes evident after playing a 3DS for any amount of time that while the 3D is kinda cool to look at here and there, playing w/ it on all the time just blows. And at that point, you have to have good software to back up the gimmick.

Holy fuk....holy fuk thats all i can say. I CANNOT believe I sign in to this. Fuk you nintendo and fuk your 20 year old rom dumps

This is probably a knee jerk reaction. I never gave a crap about these for the 3ds and I certainly care less for them now that its costing me 80 fucking dollars....I am so pissed.....fuk you nintendo

Gwanatu T

Ninja Scooter said:
Because then you take that $160, add another $20 out of pocket and buy a NEW 3DS in a couple weeks!
I was thinking more like a year from now, but that works too. Also if you buy it with the store credit there is no tax, so it's only $10 more. There is no point in selling it just to buy it again in a few weeks, the purpose is to cut any perceived loses and wait until the 3ds actually has more games worth playing, or the PS Vita turns out better than the PSP. By this time next year we will know if the 3ds or the Vita is better, and that's what my plan is.

kinggroin

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Well you don't really win because point 1 still exists, and it's entirely possible they'll sell used 3DSes for $160 so you'd be inflicting an amazing 1 cent of damage on their evil corporate empire if it didn't :p

Stump, he's not talking about winning against gamestop (even if that's what the other dude meant), just that we win in general.

PaulLFC

gofreak said:
Slightly OT, but just saw an ad on ITV for 3DS that all but screamed 'for the love of God, this is a new platform, not a DS variant!'

I think Nintendo's own research must show confusion in the market in order for them to push out ads like this. It was so explicit. It highlighted 'groundbreaking' new hardware and graphics, the circle pad, 'state of the art' online functionality and even ended with the tag line 'it's not DS, it's Nintendo 3DS'.

Yep, saw that last night. If I remember rightly the words were literally "This is not a DS. This is 3DS." Edit: As you already said in your post... d'oh!

JackFrost said:
Holy fuk....holy fuk thats all i can say. I CANNOT believe I sign in to this. Fuk you nintendo and fuk your 20 year old rom dumps

This is probably a knee jerk reaction. I never gave a crap about these for the 3ds and I certainly care less for them now that its costing me 80 fucking dollars....I am so pissed.....fuk you nintendo

lol. I don't mean to be rude, I really don't, but this type of reaction make this move all the more worth it. Absolutely hilarious.

zoukka

Second said:
I'd be pissed if I was an early adapter. None of the 20 free games are interesting. I've already owned/played most of them and don't have any interest in the rest.

I'd rather want my money back or have the option to chose the games I actually want for free.

You are kidding right?

LovingSteam said:
lol. I don't mean to be rude, I really don't, but these types of reaction make this move all the more worth it. Absolutely hilarious.

lol its all good I would lol at the reaction if it wasnt me.

Boney said:
By this time, Canvas Curse, Pheonix Wright and Trauma Center were already out, and Advance Wars was just about to come out.

And PiT, but we don't talk about that because is sucks.
You're 2 months ahead. At this time, DS had, uh, Yoshi Touch & Go. :/

JackFrost said:
lol its all good I would lol at the reaction if it wasnt me.

I bought the 3DS day 1 too. No reason to feel upset man. You've been able to enjoy the game(s) you bought (hopefully) and you will be able to get quite a few classics. Not worth it to get all upset.

donny2112

ghibli99 said:
I don't even remember the DS launch window being this crappy (maybe it was?),

Past Super Mario 64 DS at launch, there wasn't really anything BIG until Nintendogs in August and Mario Kart/Animal Crossing in the Fall. It had some good/neat games in the form of Wario Ware: Touched!, Yoshi's Touch & Go, and Kirby: Canvas Curse to show off the system, but the main thing played on it for me was GBA games. Recall Star Wars Ep. 3: Revenge of the Sith being a good game from third-parties at the time, too, but not a huge deal.

Gwanatu T

Stumpokapow said:
Well you don't really win because point 1 still exists, and it's entirely possible they'll sell used 3DSes for $160 so you'd be inflicting an amazing 1 cent of damage on their evil corporate empire if it didn't :p
My purpose has nothing to do with hurting "evil corporations" (there's nothing wrong with Gamestop; don't like them? Go to one of the many, many, many competitors out there), it's about cutting my losses on a failed system and getting back as much as I can so that I can play something this year. I'm going to buy games this year anyway, why not get as much money as it would cost to buy a new 3ds, buy the games I'm already going to with that, and then in the future if there is anything worthwhile then I'll buy it with money I already essentially "have" in my hand.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I get why some early adopters are upset, since that's a major price drop, but this is why I waited. There is no advantage to buying new hardware day one unless you really want something new and shiny to play with. As much as I wanted to get one, I decided to wait for the price of the hardware to drop, and for the quality of the software to improve. 1/2 so far, it's looking good.

LovingSteam said:
I bought the 3DS day 1 too. No reason to feel upset man. You've been able to enjoy the game(s) you bought (hopefully) and you will be able to get quite a few classics. Not worth it to get all upset.

I agree with this. I got 100+ hours out of the system already, plus I get some free games to play while I wait for new releases. Sounds cool to me.

qq more

lunchwithyuzo said:
You're 2 months ahead. At this time, DS had, uh, Yoshi Touch & Go. :/
Actually, I'd say more than 2 months ahead. Considering that the DS was released in November and the 3DS released on March...

Took DS 11 months just to get Phoenix Wright. lol

RocketPunch said:
I love this industry. So many twists and turns. Yesterday's king is today’s pauper. No way in hell anyone could have predicted this outcome from last gen DS performace. Competition is good indeed.

There's no better way that Nintendo could acknowledge their error than this. The 3DS was carelessly overpriced at launch. What go in their heads I have no idea. I think the media is partly to blame with many articles arguing that the 3D factor alone would make the hardware fly off the shelves. Bitter pill for Nintendo to swallow but in doing this I believe the Wii U launch will benefit immensely.

It shows that Nintendo is aware of its position and most importantly willing to fight to maintain its dominance in the industry as the de-facto handheld provider between the big three. The decisiveness of this move cannot be underestimated and Iwata has to be given credit for having the courage to correct his error is a swift manner.

What this means for the industry, handhelds in particular is that Nintendo won’t give up its position without a fight. It’s a back to basics approach and shows a more progressive Nintendo than years past. The gloves are off Vita, take your best shot.
It’s the best time yet to be a gamer.

One of the best posts in the thread.

Ninja Scooter said:
So new plan: You sell your 3DS, but put a little scratch on the back so you know which one it is. Then on Aug. 12 buy a new 3DS with that money + $20 of your own money, then go back to Gamestop, REBUY your old 3DS, transfer your stuff, then re-sell them the old 3DS for a loss. HAHA GAMESTOP TROLLED!@

I thought the transfer thing wasn't done yet but you will be able to in the future?

Gwanatu T

LovingSteam said:
Agreed, I don't regret having bought it at all. I've played it for quite a few hours, and that's worth whatever money I may have "lost" in this. The point is, if I want to buy it again, I will have to spend $0 to get a new one, but and that's how we win in this.

LovingSteam said:

I can enjoy them "classics" at any point in time if i wanted too. Im not pissed at the console itself i do enjoy it but i NEVER had any interest in any GB/nes games.

Just irks me that I early adopted, got slammed with hardware problems, lack of software, advertised removed features (wheres my messaging system nintendo), an ABYSMAL 3rd party support (yeah I still remember all that 3rd party support Ninty promised us) and now this. As a early adopter I expected some of this, but it all adds up and now to boot this.....has a console EVER dropped in price like this before( i honestly dont know but im doubting it)? and to say heres some crappy games (that I didnt like the first time I bought some of them 20 years ago).

EDIT: I am happy for you guys that enjoy these games...but i dont, so to me its nothing (i dont mind being minority here)

Fularu

Banned
Wait, are the early buyers from north america and europe getting the VC games too?

I can'T read the whole thread and I just saw japan mentioned.

All ten GBA games are free of charge?

PR said:
Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop
Answering my own question, yes.

Fire Emblem day one. Thanks guys. :)

Oli

Sammy Samusu said:
All ten GBA games are free of charge?

Yep. And 20 games in total.

From the sound of things, the GBA games are not going to be released outside of that offer either. Though eventually I'm sure they'll change their mind on that.

[Nintex]

Graphics Horse said:
I was actually going to make a thread about this the other day but wasn't sure if it was worthy.

blur-o-vision link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrviEHeN2M

Interesting to note the glasses free 3D isn't even mentioned in the voice over.
Since Metal Gear is delayed, Ridge Racer 3D is hardly monumental and Zelda OOT is not in the 'next generation' graphics camp I'd have to say that 'precision control' is pretty much the only thing they got right in this ad. Still I like the set up, the montage and pacing is nice.

Stumpokapow said:

I was going based off this:

$170 store credit + $25 from a promo. So, around $195 give or take $10

At $195, it would be at a loss per unit.

Would have been awesome if they let us choose the other 10 games. I'd probably chose most of the Megaman games on NES. GBA will be hard to choose though.

Alchemy

I completely expected this after the sales numbers for the 3DS appeared low as well as the price point for the Vita, yet I still bought my 3DS just so I could play Ocarina of Time. So this is basically what I expected, but with 20 free games. I'll take it.

gillty

Banned
WOW 3DS launched at 350 AUD?

and is only dropping to 250 AUD. Canadian here, but how the fuck does Nintendo get away with such crazy pricing considering AUD is above par with USD

ghibli99

donny2112 said:
Past Super Mario 64 DS at launch, there wasn't really anything BIG until Nintendogs in August and Mario Kart/Animal Crossing in the Fall. It had some good/neat games in the form of Wario Ware: Touched!, Yoshi's Touch & Go, and Kirby: Canvas Curse to show off the system, but the main thing played on it for me was GBA games. Recall Star Wars Ep. 3: Revenge of the Sith being a good game from third-parties at the time, too, but not a huge deal.
Good point... and something else I forgot to mention (and didn't think was relevant until I thought about it some more) is that I was given a DS phat for Christmas that year, so it wasn't something I put money into initially. That could very well have affected my expectations during the DS's launch window.

I do distinctly remember being incredibly excited about the DS at E3 '05, though, where it seemed like quality software was *everywhere* and opinions on the system went from "It's going to get stomped by the PSP" to "Damn, this thing has every game/genre I want to play!"

That was the turning point for me w/ the DS. So far, that moment just hasn't happened yet for the 3DS, which is really disappointing.

qq more

Valru said:

and is only dropping to 250 AUD. Canadian here, but how the fuck does Nintendo get away with such crazy pricing considering AUD is above par with USD
IIRC, gaming in general in Australia is very expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Valru said:

The AUDacity of them.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
zero_suit said:
Nintendomination?

We could see mad numbers for the first two-three weeks of the post price kill,and then somethin like 35-40k average until the coming of the great games in Fall

qq more said:
Actually, I'd say more than 2 months ahead. Considering that the DS was released in November and the 3DS released on March...

Took DS 11 months just to get Phoenix Wright. lol
Also, Phoenix Wright was a GBA port. lol.

Acerac

Banned
I saw the news about this price drop and I was pretty upset, but in all honesty I have gotten tons of hours on this thing (yay for being new to SF4) and all the free downloads will take quite a bit of the sting out of the announcement.

Hopefully this price drop will encourage more people to pick the system up so it can get some more games!

qq more

lunchwithyuzo said:
Also, Phoenix Wright was a GBA port. lol.
To be fair, that game was never in America until the port happened. So that counts if you ask me.

(Plus it had enhancements and a new episode that was really long)

Top Bottom