• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Lothars

Does Ebgames/Gamestop offer price protection? I have credit there that I am tempted to use but I don't want to use it if they don't.

Speevy said:
It's going to sell a lot more at that price, but I remain skeptical as to whether it will sell what Nintendo is hoping.

Quantity? Certainly. Revenue? Not so sure...

MidnightScott said:
Importing one from Japan will be much cheaper as a result. However, I don't think Nintendo should've dropped it that far. A $50 price cut would've been fine I think.

Lack of games & the high price are what hurt it the most though.

I thought this wasn't region free. Do you plan to import all your games as well or am I missing something?

Nuclear Muffin said:
You and me both. Still think they're making a big mistake here.
I dunno.

Ultimately it is panicky, but it's hard to argue it's not necessary.

Apple lowered the price on the iPhone within, what, three months of it launching? They gave early adopters a case or something kind of shitty. The iPhone is still doing pretty okay.

Nintendo is basically saying "Yeah, we fucked up. Now what's your excuse?" And people will still have excuses (reasons) but certainly not as many people and definitely one less reason.

I do kind of wonder if this price is in preparation of some Fall games missing release. Kid Icarus probably, maybe Mario? Certainly not Mario Kart, that's kind of unfathomable, though that's always the thing someone says before something unfathomable happens.

crazygambit said:
Quantity? Certainly. Revenue? Not so sure...

Keeping mind that they have five major first party released in the wings, I'd say they will be just fine. Hardware is never the big money maker anyway; it's always software.

ShockingAlberto said:
that's always the thing someone says before something unfathomable happens.

This is beyond anything I ever predicted and honestly the Xbox 360 could turn into a flower pot tomorrow and I'd roll with it.

donny2112

Nuclear Muffin said:
Just for good measure, here is a list of all of the significant games released in the DS' first year:
Launch Day (Nov 2005)

Super Mario 64 DS
Rub Rabbits

February 2005 (3 months later!)

This got a chuckle. :)

ShockingAlberto said:
I do kind of wonder if this price is in preparation of some Fall games missing release.

In the Japanese press release, it has Super Mario 3DS in November and Mario Kart 3DS in December. Those shouldn't be difficult to localize, so unless they get delayed in Japan, too, they should come out elsewhere in 2011, as well.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
I dunno.

Apple lowered the price on the iPhone within, what, three months of it launching? They gave early adopters a case or something kind of shitty. The iPhone is still doing pretty okay.

Nintendo is basically saying "Yeah, we fucked up. Now what's your excuse?" And people will still have excuses (reasons) but certainly not as many people and definitely one less reason.

I do kind of wonder if this price is in preparation of some Fall games missing release. Kid Icarus probably, maybe Mario? Certainly not Mario Kart, that's kind of unfathomable, though that's always the thing someone says before something unfathomable happens.
Maybe Zelda Skyward Sword got delayed and 3DS has to pick up the slack?

Busaiku said:
The fact that they're lowering it this much and taking a hit on it could very well be.

Whatever is their break even point, thats what I would have lowered the price too. I still find it hard to believe the are taking THAT much of a loss. I bet its miniscule if they are. Then by Holiday, when production costs are even lower, they can bring the price down to $149.99 in the USA by November for a stellar holiday season

outunderthestars said:
Lowering the price is a mistake?

ShockingAlberto said:
I dunno.

It's not the fact that they dropped the price, but the fact they dropped it so fast and so soon. I don't think a drop of this magnitude is necessary (I would've envisioned a possible drop to $199.99 in November, but certainly not this!)

It was still selling inline with the original DS, this seems like a kneejerk reaction to appease impatient shareholders.

donny2112 said:

Glad you enjoyed it (It's fixed now)

Vinci

Danish
Nuclear Muffin said:
It's not the fact that they dropped the price, but the fact they dropped it so fast and so soon. I don't think a drop of this magnitude is necessary (I would've envisioned a possible drop to $199.99 in November, but certainly not this!)

*shrugs* I think it's because they wanted to get people's attention with something dramatic. I mean, hell, look at GAF alone - we've got three or four threads about this.

L00P

Wow, I'm surprised Nintendo is willing to sell this at a loss. Something must have spooked them to resort to this.

But now I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 3DS soon! Glad I waited.

donny2112 said:

In the Japanese press release, it has Super Mario 3DS in November and Mario Kart 3DS in December. Those shouldn't be difficult to localize, so unless they get delayed in Japan, too, they should come out elsewhere in 2011, as well.
Yeah, sorry, still catching up.

Kid Icarus was unceremoniously ignored, though, so I guess there's no chance it's also hitting this fall.

Poyunch

L00P said:
Wow, I'm surprised Nintendo is willing to sell this at a loss. Something must have spooked them to resort to this.

But now I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 3DS soon! Glad I waited.
Hopefully it was the Vita. Some health competition would be good.

1-D_FTW

Busaiku said:
The fact that they're lowering it this much and taking a hit on it could very well be.

No way is it a mistake. Even if it means it's now replacing the the DS for the easy Christmas sales, they need to start building an install base because dedicated gaming portables are only going to have more difficulty with each passing year. They can't afford to throw away a whole year over trying to save an extra 20 or 30 dollars on that price cut.

Great, so I paid off $250 in order to be an early adopter, gets trolled all over my face by nintendo during the past 3 months with their shitty games, scratched top screen problem and lack of choice, and then suddenly they drop the price to $170. I mean, it's no doubt great for anybody who've waited but for me ? It's possibly the worst purchase I've ever made console-wise. What a waste of my fucking money. That'll teach me for sure.

[Nintex]

papersleeves said:
Great, so I paid off $250 in order to be an early adopter, gets trolled all over my face by nintendo during the past 3 months with their shitty games, scratched top screen problem and lack of choice, and then suddenly they drop the price to $170. I mean, it's no doubt great for anybody who've waited but for me ? It's possibly the worst purchase I've ever made console-wise. What a waste of my fucking money. That'll teach me for sure.
I think that Nintendo figured the Zelda fans who just bought a 3DS wouldn't be 'that upset' since they've been shat on before.

Vinci

Danish
papersleeves said:

I learned my lesson from RROD. Believe me, this is a good thing. No launch system ever again.

papersleeves said:
I'm in the same boat. :|

papersleeves said:

Alternatively, I paid $200 because I had some gift cards to burn, and now Nintendo's giving me over $100 worth of free shit just for having their backs.

Thanks Nintendo!

Mrbob

[Nintex] said:
Maybe Zelda Skyward Sword got delayed and 3DS has to pick up the slack?

Look at the Wii numbers, as the system has fallen off a cliff and the Wii U is a year away. The 3DS is doing lukewarm at best and they needed to do something to boost sales. If they kept the 3DS where it is at they next year would be absolutely brutal.

I know this will give the 3DS a spike, but I'm still uncertain on long term implications. Lower hardware price is nice, but we still have 40 dollar games. Vita can hang its hat on the fact 40 dollar games look like 60 dollar PS3/360 titles, though I don't know if the market will care.

Long term this could hurt Wii U adoption as well. People might wait to pick up the system after how hastily Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS. Of course the 3DS wasn't worth $250 as Nintendo got greedy. They can't make the same mistake and will have to price the Wii U competitively right away.

Bumhead

Banned
papersleeves said:

I'm actually please about this price drop because I'd like the system to succeed, think some of it's neat features need there to be more 3DS systems out there to use (Streetpass) and we generally benefit if the system is a success but.. yeah, I get this.

The last two games consoles I've bought have been launch day PlayStation 3 and launch day Nintendo 3DS. The PS3 came good for me in the end and I have faith in the 3DS to do the same..

..but those 2 launches (and a 360 that RRoD'd before then) have destroyed my faith in being a console early adopter. Seriously, I'm done with new system launches until 2 years has passed.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I guess I'm not that bad off. Due to the Kmart coupon trains and other offers, I essentially paid about $190 including tax on launch day for the system and SSFIV. I doubt they'll really keep the GB VC titles exclusive to early adopters forever though.

KingJ2002

Wow... i didnt see this coming anytime soon and such a significant drop.

but it's necessary i suppose... seeing that the PS Vita is dropping at 250... being 170 will help a ton.

now all nintendo needs are some titles to attract gamers to the system and build out their online services.

Vinci said:
I learned my lesson from RROD. Believe me, this is a good thing. No launch system ever again.

Shame...I got my Vita already paid for and now im second guessing myself...

I didnt want to pay 250$ for a nostalgia/emulator but it looks like I did :(....the games are coming I keep telling myself (and i know they are).

Whats irking me is as im typing this im prepping my 3ds for shipping for repairs and took a gander at one of my favorite nes games...excitebikes log...0.11 gameplay time....that is correct ive played one of my favorite games ,remade in 3d, for 11 minutes. I will get 0 outta this except hate for nintendo.

[Nintex] said:
I think that Nintendo figured the Zelda fans who just bought a 3DS wouldn't be 'that upset' since they've been shat on before.

I've bought every Nintendo handheld at launch before the 3DS and don't feel "shat on" at all. Not in the least. I did not buy a 3DS because I felt it was overpriced for what it was... and I was right.

Boney

Banned
Vinci said:
I said I'd ony pick one system per generation at launch, with the Wii being an exception 'cause my cube was dead and you know TP.

Picked DS at launch instead of holding out for a PSP because I could get 2 one for me and one for my brother, and got a 3DS now. Probably not a smart choice on either, but I did enjoy 'em both.

Vinci

Danish
JackFrost said:

Here's hoping it pays off for you, man. If nothing else, you have Sound Shapes to look forward to. It looks great.

[Nintex]

Mrbob said:
Look at the Wii numbers, as the system has fallen off a cliff and the Wii U is a year away. The 3DS is doing lukewarm at best and they needed to do something to boost sales. If they kept the 3DS where it is at they next year would be absolutely brutal.

I know this will give the 3DS a spike, but I'm still uncertain on long term implications. Lower hardware price is nice, but we still have 40 dollar games.

Long term this could hurt Wii U adoption as well. People might wait to pick up the system after how hastily Nintendo slashed the price of the 3DS. Of course the 3DS wasn't worth $250 as Nintendo got greedy. They can't make the same mistake and will have to price the Wii U competitively right away.
I agree with everything you said really. The 40 dollar handheld gaming market is stone cold dead. Mostly because with games like Pilotwings Resort, Pacman and Rayman Port nr. 452 everyone made damn sure it would die.

JackFrost said:

I didnt want to pay 250$ for a nostalgia/emulator but it looks like I did :(....the games are coming I keep telling myself (and i know they are).

Whats irking me is as im typing this im prepping my 3ds for shipping for repairs and took a gander at one of my favorite nes games...excitebikes log...0.11 gameplay time....that is correct ive played one of my favorite games ,remade in 3d, for 11 minutes. I will get 0 outta this except hate for nintendo.

i'm in the same boat, but i'm not that worried , just need the games to be there .

Xena

I'm very surprised as well by this huge price drop; I totally didn't expect this much. But regardless, I'll still hold off on getting one until I see a few RPGs...

Mrbob

[Nintex] said:
I agree with everything you said really. The 40 dollar handheld gaming market is stone cold dead. Mostly because with games like Pilotwings Resort, Pacman and Rayman Port nr. 452 everyone made damn sure it would die.

Oh my god at your avatar hahaha I just noticed.

Anyway, I think Nintendo will be ok, but beyond this I don't know. Do I really want to pay 40 dollars for a Rayman 2 port? Seriously? The market has changed. This should be on the estore for 2 dollars.

I'll pay 40 for Super Maro 3DS, and Paper Mario. I'll shell it out for Nintendo titles because the ywill be worth the money. Outside of them though I literally have zero interest on spending 40 dollars from 3rd party companies who really don't give a damn.

Nintendo digital service is downright atrocious too, but I don't want to get started on that. They really have a lot to learn heading into the digital age. I still think the 3DS waters are going to be a bumpy transition for them.

[Nintex]

Mrbob said:

Anyway, I think Nintendo will be ok, but beyond this I don't know. Do I really want to pay 40 dollars for a Rayman 2 port? Seriously? The market has changed. This should be on the estore for 2 dollars.

I'll pay 40 for Super Maro 3DS, and Paper Mario. I'll shell it out for Nintendo titles because the ywill be worth the money. Outside of them though I literally have zero interest on spending 40 dollars from 3rd party companies who really don't give a damn.

Nintendo digital service is downright atrocious too, but I don't want to get started on that. They really have a lot to learn heading into the digital age. I still think the 3DS waters are going to be a bumpy transition for them.
Yep the first thing Nintendo should after the storm calms a bit is invest in a capable online network. They might not think it's important but their consumers certainly do.

Mrbob said:
I know this will give the 3DS a spike, but I'm still uncertain on long term implications. Lower hardware price is nice, but we still have 40 dollar games. Vita can hang its hat on the fact 40 dollar games look like 60 dollar PS3/360 titles, though I don't know if the market will care.

Looking at upcoming 3DS release lists, there's a respectable handful of third-party titles priced at $34.99 (CRUSH3D) and $29.99 (Thor, Captain America, Pinball Hall of Fame, Face Racers, Pet Zombies, Nikoli's Pencil Puzzle).

That percentage isn't anywhere near what it should be, but I think (hope) that more third parties will catch on in the near future.

Never before have I been so glad to not buy Nintendo hardware at launch. I've done so for damn near everything else they've put out since the Nintendo 64 but I had my doubts about this one.

I'm slightly concerned about the 3DS still.

edit: scratch that, once the price drop takes effect, the paper jam the 3DS has experienced will be cleared and it too will begin printing money.

Mengs, will Play-Asia eventually stock the NA region coded 3DS? And will it be RRP, or slightly dearer? Being an Aussie, the idea of obtaining a 3DS for 150AUD is very enticing. Does anyone know of any other vendors that will ship a 3DS internationally?

Muchos gracias!

crazygambit said:
I thought this wasn't region free. Do you plan to import all your games as well or am I missing something?
Just the stuff that may not get released outside of Japan because it is too niche. So I need a Japanese 3DS since it is region locked, and I want the Red one so. Senran Kagura & Gundam 3D Battle (they only seem to release Dynasty Warriors Gundam games here), and if Ouendan 3 ever happens lol.

KAL2006

Banned
Mrbob said:

There are still plenty of games that are worth $40
Mario
Zelda
Uncharted
Layton
LittleBigPlanet
Final Fantasy Type 0
Metal Gear

And the list goes on. It is usual for developers to make shitty games that are not worth paying full price for, this has been happening for years with shitty games like Petz on DS, or shitty games like Carnival Games on Wii to shitty games like Move Heroes for PS3.

I'm kind of puzzled as to why Nintendo expected this thing to sell like gangbusters. Because it has the DS brand? The price point was definitely one factor keeping people away from the system, but the real problem is the lack of games. This a system whose very first true potential killer app - a remake of a 13-year-old game - just came out a month ago. Everything else so far - and most of what's been announced for the future - are ports, remakes, spinoffs and glorified tech demos. Personally, the only currently announced upcoming game that stands a decent chance of actually compelling me to dish out for the system is Paper Mario 3, and only because I'm already a big fan of that property. This year's TGS will likely say a lot about the fate of the system - without some significant third-party software announcements, the system will likely continue to flounder, and if the selection of games for PSV looks considerably more exciting to gamers, it's already in trouble.

Jokeropia

gatotsu911 said:
I'm kind of puzzled as to why Nintendo expected this thing to sell like gangbusters. Because it has the DS brand? The price point was definitely one factor keeping people away from the system, but the real problem is the lack of games. This a system whose very first true potential killer app - a remake of a 13-year-old game - just came out a month ago. Everything else so far - and most of what's been announced for the future - are ports, remakes, spinoffs and glorified tech demos.
It is true that Zelda is the first notable release, but the fall/winter lineup is great.

gatotsu911 said:
I'm kind of puzzled as to why Nintendo expected this thing to sell like gangbusters. Because it has the DS brand? The price point was definitely one factor keeping people away from the system, but the real problem is the lack of games. This a system whose very first true potential killer app - a remake of a 13-year-old game - just came out a month ago. Everything else so far - and most of what's been announced for the future - are ports, remakes, spinoffs and glorified tech demos. Personally, the only currently announced upcoming game that stands a decent chance of actually compelling me to dish out for the system is Paper Mario 3, and only because I'm already a big fan of that property. This year's TGS will likely say a lot about the fate of the system - without some significant third-party software announcements, the system will likely continue to flounder, and if the selection of games for PSV looks considerably more exciting to gamers, it's already in trouble.

tumblr_lp28nvSMb11qzp9weo1_400.jpg

Top Bottom