• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Brera

Banned
I find it funny that people are complaining about the price drop.

STFU and get in the queue.

The 3DS was the first Nintendo console that I had no interest in at all, it's the worst, most lacklustre, uninteresting console they've ever released with a shambles of an excuse of current games.

But at £130, I'm there!

TheNatural

My Member!
gatotsu911 said:
I'm kind of puzzled as to why Nintendo expected this thing to sell like gangbusters. Because it has the DS brand? The price point was definitely one factor keeping people away from the system, but the real problem is the lack of games. This a system whose very first true potential killer app - a remake of a 13-year-old game - just came out a month ago. Everything else so far - and most of what's been announced for the future - are ports, remakes, spinoffs and glorified tech demos. Personally, the only currently announced upcoming game that stands a decent chance of actually compelling me to dish out for the system is Paper Mario 3, and only because I'm already a big fan of that property. This year's TGS will likely say a lot about the fate of the system - without some significant third-party software announcements, the system will likely continue to flounder, and if the selection of games for PSV looks considerably more exciting to gamers, it's already in trouble.

Um, what?

ShockingAlberto said:
Apple lowered the price on the iPhone within, what, three months of it launching? They gave early adopters a case or something kind of shitty. The iPhone is still doing pretty okay.

Wow, you clearly weren't an early iPhone adopter, because that's not what happened. They lowered the price and gave everyone $100 Apple credit, not some shitty case. And the iPhone is doing more than okay, it is the single most successful phone on the market today and eating away at the handheld gaming industry.

This move by Nintendo is good for the consumers, so I'm not sure why people are bitching and complaining about it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Brera said:

The 3DS was the first Nintendo console that I had no interest in at all, it's the worst, most lacklustre, uninteresting console they've ever released with a shambles of an excuse of current games.

But at £130, I'm there!
It won't be £130.

kitchenmotors said:
Wow, you clearly weren't an early iPhone adopter, because that's not what happened. They lowered the price and gave everyone $100 Apple credit, not some shitty case. And the iPhone is doing more than okay, it is the single most successful phone on the market today and eating away at the handheld gaming industry.

This move by Nintendo is good for the consumers, so I'm not sure why people are bitching and complaining about it.
I didn't quite remember the details but it seemed kind of obvious that the "is doing pretty okay" line you took offense to was an obvious understatement.

If you want penance I can re-type this post from my iPhone.

TheNatural

My Member!
kitchenmotors said:

The irony of it all is, the entire library people paid $250 for to have it, is full of ports and remakes. And they're being compensated with 20 ports, and they're complaining about it. It was good enough to burn $300 plus on to play a port, but now they're mad it dropped price. and they get ports in return. Dumbasses.

Codeblue

kitchenmotors said:
Wow, you clearly weren't an early iPhone adopter, because that's not what happened. They lowered the price and gave everyone $100 Apple credit, not some shitty case.

How much was the price drop though?

just saw a add on TV (here is ireland)

looks like they are finally pushing it as the next generation handheld they should have been.

add had clips of MGS3, Zelda some other games.

It was pushing stuff like "Next generation graphics and online"..... "stunning graphic"s.... "this is not the DS. This is 3DS"

so they are finally trying to separate it from the DS

Javier

Wait a minute...

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.
What do they mean by "updated" version? Are they letting us download the traditional VC version at first, and then the updated version is actually a "3D Classic"?

Javier said:
Wait a minute...

What do they mean by "updated" version? Are they letting us download the traditional VC version at first, and then the updated version is actually a "3D Classic"?

Weird, I remember reading that they weren't going to make the updated versions available for free to those who got the free versions. Did they change their minds?

antonz

[Nintex] said:
Maybe to keep track of the sales to see how consumers respond to the new price?
I suspect its to try and combat price matching with people buying now to get free games and then saying oh amazon look at this price change.

Different system SKU etc.

ShockingAlberto said:
Apple lowered the price on the iPhone within, what, three months of it launching? They gave early adopters a case or something kind of shitty. The iPhone is still doing pretty okay.
Apple dropped the iPhone price by $200 and they gave early adopters a $100 Apple Store credit. If you've been in there before, you probably know that $100 wouldn't get you too far at the Apple Store, just some accessories, unless you were already planning to make a big purchase there, if you were even planning to redeem the rebate at all.

I think if anyone was angry about it, they either forgot about it or were drowned out by the time that the app store and iPhone 3G launched.

Consider this a lesson: Don't buy personal electronics based on potential. Prices don't go up. Your shit isn't going to appreciate in value. These products aren't rare or hard to find within months of release if ever (Two year long Wii hype bullshit aside). Learn some patience and self control. That means don't even buy a 3DS now just because the price dropped to $170, since really, what is there to play? Ocarina 3D? You really can't wait until an actual new release to play a 15 year old game?

Second guess your Vita pre-orders now (although that launch lineup actually looks OK unlike EVERY OTHER LAUNCH LINEUP IN THE PAST 10 YEARS).

Brera said:

But at £130, I'm there!

Price drop is great. Having being foolish enough to buy this piece of wasteland at launch isn't. Like, why did I even purchase this ? It was already a known information that the battery life sucked.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Consider this a lesson: Don't buy personal electronics based on potential. Prices don't go up. Your shit isn't going to appreciate in value. These products aren't rare or hard to find within months of release if ever (Two year long Wii hype bullshit aside). Learn some patience and self control. That means don't even buy a 3DS now just because the price dropped to $170, since really, what is there to play? Ocarina 3D? You really can't wait until an actual new release to play a 15 year old game?

Second guess your Vita pre-orders now (although that launch lineup actually looks OK unlike EVERY OTHER LAUNCH LINEUP IN THE PAST 10 YEARS).
I dunno. I paid an extra $70 which is two day's work at most?

I don't really regret it. Launches are fun. I've spent $70 on worse, like Medieval Times.

While it may have been smart to just go ahead and wait, situations aren't universal. A price drop is good in that more games will come to the system, but ultimately, how much is the time I've spent using the thing compared to the money I would have saved? Ultimately that varies from person to person, but for me it's fine.

If I made my purchases based solely on kind of self-righteous internet rants about value, I don't think I'd be buying anything at all.

More power to the people who were waiting for exactly this drop, though.

Foffy

Banned
papersleeves said:
Price drop is great. Having being foolish enough to buy this piece of wasteland at launch isn't. Like, why did I even purchase this ? It was already a known information that the battery life sucked.

Because the lame battery life is somewhat understandable. Batteries haven't evolved over the years, and the 3DS' battery had to work in the design of a DS.

The lack of games has and is inexcusable. It's perplexing that we have to wait till October for a notable game that isn't a port or remake.

Foffy said:
Because the lame battery life is somewhat understandable. Batteries haven't evolved over the years, and the 3DS' battery had to work in the design of a DS.

The lack of games has and is inexcusable. It's perplexing that we have to wait till October for a notable game that isn't a port or remake.

How was the 360 launch? PS3 launch? Wii launch? DS launch? PSP launch? PS2 launch? Oh yea...

ShockingAlberto said:
I dunno. I paid an extra $70 which is two day's work at most?

I don't really regret it. Launches are fun. I've spent $70 on worse, like Medieval Times.

While it may have been smart to just go ahead and wait, situations aren't universal. A price drop is good in that more games will come to the system, but ultimately, how much is the time I've spent using the thing compared to the money I would have saved? Ultimately that varies from person to person, but for me it's fine.

If I made my purchases based solely on kind of self-righteous internet rants about value, I don't think I'd be buying anything at all.

More power to the people who were waiting for exactly this drop, though.

Lol, your tag says too much about you.

Foffy

Banned
LovingSteam said:
How was the 360 launch? PS3 launch? Wii launch? DS launch? PSP launch? PS2 launch? Oh yea...

What, for ports/remakes? Sure, that's fine..for launches. But that stuff's still coming with nothing new in sight for the next few months. All of these other platforms had one notable game that was brand new, be it a good or bad game.

Clipper

antonz said:
I suspect its to try and combat price matching with people buying now to get free games and then saying oh amazon look at this price change.

Different system SKU etc.
Yeah, it'll be funny for those cheapskates that want to try to take advantage of the offer. Hopefully most retail stores will have it set up the same way so that the only way to get the new price is to actually return your old unit and get the new one, thus losing the free games in the process. If Nintendo is really on the ball, they will completely change the packaging of the new, cheaper units to make the difference clear to retailers.

papersleeves said:
Great, so I paid off $250 in order to be an early adopter, gets trolled all over my face by nintendo during the past 3 months with their shitty games, scratched top screen problem and lack of choice, and then suddenly they drop the price to $170. I mean, it's no doubt great for anybody who've waited but for me ? It's possibly the worst purchase I've ever made console-wise. What a waste of my fucking money. That'll teach me for sure.

hahahaha

BY2K

Membero Americo
Javier said:
Wait a minute...

The VC games the early buyers will get are most likely betas with no virtual manuals and stuff like that. When they officially release the VC games to the public, the early buyers will get a update for those VC games for free.

Foffy said:

Honestly ? I'm not sure I'll wait that long. I've been into this "gaming borefest" mood for quite some time now and hardly have any energy to play my main console/pc, let alone all of my backlog collection (yes, it's now officially a collection). I just don't see myself even slightly invigorated into spending time on my 3DS. I'd rather get some of my money back so I can spend it on something that doesn't stack dust. It had its chance. It fucked up. I'm just not hardcore enough to give a fuck anymore.

Jokeropia said:
It is true that Zelda is the first notable release, but the fall/winter lineup is great.

Er... what are those releases exactly?

This thing is still overpriced to me unless killer apps are about to swarm the market, because I import games all the time and travel internationally constantly and this idiotic piece of machinery is bloody region-locked.

I'm always open to being convinced, but some pretty fucking spectacular things must come along to convince me to buy two of the damn things.

papersleeves said:
Honestly ? I'm not sure I'll wait that long. I've been into this "gaming borefest" mood for quite some time now and hardly have any energy to play my main console/pc, let alone all of my backlog collection (yes, it's now officially a collection). I just don't see myself even slightly invigorated into spending time on my 3DS. I'd rather get some of my money back so I can spend it on something that doesn't stack dust. It had its chance. It fucked up. I'm just not hardcore enough to give a fuck anymore.
You could always sell it. eBay will probably get you decent prices (but, uh, likely not above $170 for the unit alone), but it's possible people looking for one on Craigslist have not heard of the price drop yet.

GeekyDad

Obviously there were a lot of GAF members taken hostage and forced to buy 3DSes at the current price. The world truly is a cruel place...

GeekyDad said:
Obviously there were a lot of GAF members taken hostage and forced to buy 3DSes at the current price. The world truly is a cruel place...

lol exactly. I understand that some folks don't plan on buying the 3DS until its at $149 or $129 but to believe it SHOULD be that price? lol.

Javier said:
Wait a minute...

The ones they're releasing at first aren't going to be the full retail versions. i.e. they may not have features such as multiplayer.

DR2K

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Are you kidding me? You actually believe the 3DS should be LOWER in price than the original Nintendo DS was released at?

It doesn't offer anything new and the handheld economy has changed significantly.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
funkystudent said:
just saw a add on TV (here is ireland)

looks like they are finally pushing it as the next generation handheld they should have been.

add had clips of MGS3, Zelda some other games.

It was pushing stuff like "Next generation graphics and online"..... "stunning graphic"s.... "this is not the DS. This is 3DS"

so they are finally trying to separate it from the DS
I'm glad for that. Because I feel like people might look at the 3DS on a store shelf and think it's a Game Boy > Game Boy Pocket or GBA > GBA SP style upgrade that they don't really need if they they already have an original DS. Once the correct messaging is out there, things will really start to pick up.

Top Bottom