• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Amir0x

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Amir0x... you still got that pic you posted a while back of the DS display at some store where the 3DS was just blended into the other systems as an example of the bad marketing?

I just used it the other day but I forgot what topic it was in >_<

Parish wrote a good article and, as he often does, finished it off with something that made me pause after I closed the window.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9085305

I haven't had time to browse forums this morning to gauge the Internet's reaction to news that the Nintendo 3DS will be dropping in price to $169 -- a demoralizing price cut of roughly 40% a mere four months after the system's debut. But I can already guess what I'd see if I were to look: People dancing on the premature grave they've dug for the system (or for Nintendo); people celebrating failure; people mockingly tossing around terms like "bomba" and "epic fail."

These same people are ostensibly fans of the medium. Supposedly, they love video games. But anyone who proclaims to be a fan of gaming yet celebrates this massive concession to market pressure by Nintendo is -- pardon my French -- a total idiot. The troubles that the 3DS faces now are part of a much bigger malaise that threatens to choke the life from the medium you love. Do you think PS Vita is going to fare much better in the U.S.? Do you think Wii U and PlayStation 4 and Xbox Whateverthehelltheycallit are going to have better luck when they launch? I have my doubts. The fizzling of the 3DS is another sign that what you think of as "real" games are heading out to pasture, and that at the current rate the entire market will consist entirely of free-to-play multiplayer games, hyper-linear military-themed first-person shooters, Facebook games, and the latest flavor of flash-in-the-pan music/dance hit being milked to death as quickly as possible by whichever publisher was lucky enough to stumble onto it. That's not really cause for celebration.

Right now, Zynga has the highest theoretical market value of any game publisher -- in fact, I've seen a Zynga IPO estimated at $20 billion, which I'd guess is roughly the value of the rest of the games industry rolled into one. Meaning the best way to rake in money with video games is currently to build a Skinner box bearing a superficial resemblance to a game in order to annoy every high school acquaintance who friended you on FaceBook. Viva the future, eh?

And if you think the idea of this cut presaging tough times ahead for games is some kind of Chicken Little alarmism... well, you haven't been talking to publishers lately like I have. It's a gloomy time in this here industry, folks.

He also discusses the free games as a retro game fan.

tim.mbp

Speaking as an Ambassador, Nintendo really needs to fix purchasing games from the eShop. The pre-set values suck. I really should be able to add just the amount needed for purchase.

It will be very interesting to see just how well Vita sells 6 months after it launches. Has the market really changed all that much because of devices like smartphones and tablets or did Nintendo rest on its laurels and over-charge?

Louis Cyphre said:
It will be very interesting to see just how well Vita sells 6 months after it launches. Has the market really changed all that much because of devices like smartphones and tablets or did Nintendo rest on its laurels and over-charge?
Can't it be both?

Holy Order Sol said:
People who want it shouldn't buy it because you said so, and OoT 3D is exactly the same as the original game, which absolutely everyone has played. Right.

I'm not telling anyone what to do. If they are happy with what they bought and how much they paid for it, then there is no issue. If they're not happy about it, then they shouldn't have bought it until the situation was right for them.

The Lamp

Amir0x said:
Competition is a good thing. I definitely think Vita is out of it - but then again, I thought that before this price drop. Few consumers are in it for a gaming dedicated handheld at $250 or more, it has to have way more functionality and be just as portable as your cellphone. Vita is overlarge, seems extremely delicate and screams 'high end' in a way that'd alienate moms buying the systems for their kids - which is a massive segment of the handheld gaming market.

I hope in the future Nintendo keeps their hubris in check so us early adopters don't have to be shafted four months out, but in this case they've pretty much done the best they could with the 20 free games shit. That is a LOT of free games, even if it is ROM DUMP stuff.

Would've been nice they thrown in a 3DSWare game or some shit, but I ain't complaining. With this magnitude of free shit, who can really care?

None of the games are 3D enhanced like Excitebike, are they?

watershed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Parish wrote a good article and, as he often does, finished it off with something that made me pause after I closed the window.

No link? And damn, lots of game developers and executives have talked about free to play facebook style games and smaller/social games being the future. I seriously hope Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony put up a real fight to reinvigorate the "core gaming" market before they do what all good businesses do and adapt to the changing market realities.

ShockingAlberto said:
Can't it be both?

It could but people only have so much free time. I find myself playing games on my smartphone because they are quick, easy to get into and cheap. When I want to have a full game experience I do it on my HDTV in full surround.

artwalknoon said:
No link? And damn, lots of game developers and executives have talked about free to play facebook style games and smaller/social games being the future. I seriously hope Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony put up a real fight to reinvigorate the "core gaming" market before they do what all good businesses do and adapt to the changing market realities.
Oh whoops. Genuinely thought I included the link.

It's up there now.

DJ88

Wow! When I first started reading I was slowly starting to get pissed, being an early adopter myself, but when I got to the part about the 20 free games the anger faded quickly. Now after thinking about it, I'm happy as hell. I won a $50 gift card at the Best Buy launch which I used on Zelda, and I get TWENTY free games! Ten GBA games that no one else will be able to get, and almost all of them are games I've always wanted to play but never got the chance. Easily worth the extra $80 and months of time I got to enjoy my 3DS for me.

I'm also really happy for everybody else who will finally get to experience the 3DS in the comfort of their own home, which in my case was way better than the crappy experience of playing a demo unit in a store. I can't wait to read the impressions of all the new owners come September.

The Lamp

If I don't have enough space on an SD card for my stuff + all these games, does the 3DS remember your purchases/download history so you can re-download stuff later?

DJ88 said:
Wow! When I first started reading I was slowly starting to get pissed, being an early adopter myself, but when I got to the part about the 20 free games the anger faded quickly. Now after thinking about it, I'm happy as hell. I won a $50 gift card at the Best Buy launch which I used on Zelda, and I get TWENTY free games! Ten GBA games that no one else will be able to get, and almost all of them are games I've always wanted to play but never got the chance. Easily worth the extra $80 and months of time I got to enjoy my 3DS for me.

I'm also really happy for everybody else who will finally get to experience the 3DS in the comfort of their own home, which in my case was way better than the crappy experience of playing a demo unit in a store. I can't wait to read the impressions of all the new owners come September.

This. I had the same feelings today as the story developed. We're getting 20 free games!! Some good, some great, and some Ive never played. With more 3DS's sold, the more 3rd party support right?

inf3cti0n

Banned
Hello,

I still don't get how they can rope handhelds and consoles in the same group. They have basically separate user groups. Sure us hardcores buy every system but the markets are very different. The 3ds will sell 4 million US , PS4 / XBoX 1080x60/3.14etc will still both sell 20+ million no matter how bad/good they are.

I got my 3ds at launch and while this makes my wallet cry I think this will give a much needed boost for the system. We need more of these units in peoples hands. They are slick hardware and need more AAA titles. When I pull mine out on lunch breaks people seem to flock around just to see this thing. The best part is when non gamers see it and start to gawk and the awesomeness that is the 3ds.

Nintendo limited themselves launching this at 250. had this launched at the new price ( with the classic 20 game were sorry for dropping the price so fast pack) this would be as hard to find as the wii was around launch.

Thank you for your time. Long Live the 3DS.

Owzers

ShockingAlberto said:

I can't disagree with Parish enough, 3DS is a completely overpriced system, has a horrible line up of games, and has design defects ( though the numbers of those effected are questionable) in loose hinges/scratched screens. So that's the gaming that must be saved? What am i going to do when Vita struggles? I don't know, how eager am i to play installments of iffy first party franchises made by secondary studios? Oh no, please don't fail!

Nintendo didn't want to put out first party games at launch so third parties could cash in, and third parties wanted to put out $40 ports. Winning situation for core gamers.

ciaossu said:
It basically is $149 if there are two games you want:

Your post seems to indicate otherwise, but depending how long this promotion lasts it could be a good way to snag some holiday titles with the 3DS purchase.

That offer is only for specific games. I'd like to know how many people can list two games they really want out of that list of eight, because I don't see a single one.

inf3cti0n said:
Hello,
I got my 3ds at launch and while this makes my wallet cry I think this will give a much needed boost for the system. We need more of these units in peoples hands. They are slick hardware and need more AAA titles. When I pull mine out on lunch breaks people seem to flock around just to see this thing. The best part is when non gamers see it and start to gawk and the awesomeness that is the 3ds.

Nintendo limited themselves launching this at 250. had this launched at the new price ( with the classic 20 game were sorry for dropping the price so fast pack) this would be as hard to find as the wii was around launch.

I like you.

watershed

Banned
inf3cti0n said:
Hello,

I still don't get how they can rope handhelds and consoles in the same group. They have basically separate user groups. Sure us hardcores buy every system but the markets are very different. The 3ds will sell 4 million US , PS4 / XBoX 1080x60/3.14etc will still both sell 20+ million no matter how bad/good they are.

I like your optimism but the overriding issue that is the talk of the town is if the handheld market is still viable. If consumers are no longer interested in owning dedicated portable gaming devices then while the price cut will make a difference it won't be enough to reverse a market trend.

ampere

ShockingAlberto said:

Wasn't there just as much schadenfreude over the PS3's early perfermance 6 years ago? they didn't do a huge pricedrop a few months in because they couldn't afford it. He then go's on about f2p multiplayer games as though they are a bad thing or something new, the boogieman of FPS saturation also pops up like it does in everything nintendo related. Basically i didn't like the article.

LCfiner

An issue I have with Parish’s article and the doom and gloom it predicts for the entire gaming ecosystem is that the handheld market has changed pretty radically the past couple years. mores than the home console industry.

selling a gaming only device for 250 when one can get a pocket computer for 250 (iPod touch or iPhone on contract) with games that sell for under 5 bucks… well, the gaming only console became a much harder sell for everyone except those who really, really care deeply about game depth.

and, at that, the 3DS failed at launch as it didn’t even have the software to back up the price to those who wanted the dedicated gaming machine.

I still think it was a smart movie for Nintendo to move away rom Apple’s casual gaming crowd and back into the more traditional gaming audience. the problem was then the software.

with consoles, we saw the disruption back in 2006 with the Wii but MS has taken up that torch with Kinect and it’s selling VERY well now. the console market can handle prices above 200 bucks much better than the handheld market. that’s why I don’t think that the 3DS price drop is spelling doom and gloom for all consoles as Parish implies.

If anything, this makes the sales prospects of the Vita seem much more dire.

x-Lundz-x

LovingSteam said:
And? The NDS sold about as much with hardly any library and $100+ more as the NDS did even though it has a library and was priced about $100 less. It's ridiculous to compare the price of a product whose price is able to be so low due to a contract being required. Nintendo 3DS at $170 is a fantastic price.

The other fact you are missing, the price of games. And the fact that casual handheld gaming has drifted to quick easy timesinks that people play for short time periods. I have about 40 games on my phone, almost all of them were free.

Another factor, kids love smartphones. My 6 year old nephew has a DS, he barely uses it. When he is around, I cant keep my phone out of his hands. Times for the handheld market has changed. This price cut will be a temp boost to a dying market.

ShockingAlberto said:

But anyone who proclaims to be a fan of gaming yet celebrates this massive concession to market pressure by Nintendo is -- pardon my French -- a total idiot. The troubles that the 3DS faces now are part of a much bigger malaise that threatens to choke the life from the medium you love. Do you think PS Vita is going to fare much better in the U.S.? Do you think Wii U and PlayStation 4 and Xbox Whateverthehelltheycallit are going to have better luck when they launch? I have my doubts. The fizzling of the 3DS is another sign that what you think of as "real" games are heading out to pasture

Rebuttal: In the 1960's the decline of old Hollywood lead to the studios turning over the reigns to young film makers which gave us films like The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Easy Rider, and China Town. If an entertainment company is not producing what the market wants, the best thing for the market and the medium is for that company to collapse and allow new businesses to grow. What Parish is suggesting is to circle the wagons around mediocrity in the fear that we'll be worse off without it.

watershed

Banned
LCfiner said:
An issue I have with Parish’s article and the doom and gloom it predicts for the entire gaming ecosystem is that the handheld market has changed pretty radically the past couple years. mores than the home console industry.

selling a gaming only device for 250 when one can get a pocket computer for 250 (iPod touch or iPhone on contract) with games that sell for under 5 bucks… well, the gaming only console became a much harder sell for everyone except those who really, really care deeply about game depth.

and, at that, the 3DS failed at launch as it didn’t even have the software to back up the price to those who wanted the dedicated gaming machine.

I still think it was a smart movie for Nintendo to move away rom Apple’s casual gaming crowd and back into the more traditional gaming audience. the problem was then the software.

with consoles, we saw the disruption back in 2006 with the Wii but MS has taken up that torch with Kinect and it’s selling VERY well now. the console market can handle prices above 200 bucks much better than the handheld market. that’s why I don’t think that the 3DS price drop is spelling doom and gloom for all consoles as Parish implies.

If anything, this makes the sales prospects of the Vita seem much more dire.
I think he's doing a bit of soothsaying and predicting less interest in the core gaming market overall and saying that console gaming will become more simplifed (something that you could argue is already happening) and thus moving away from the style of gaming that I'm assuming most long time gamers enjoy. Also he may be foreshadowing apple moving into the console market in some manner. Another also, don't people play ipad games and iphone games a lot at home as well? This could cause casuals to have less interest in purchasing consoles.

seady

People keep saying the 3DS has "no games", but in truth it has only been released 4 months, and it already has games like

Ocarina of Time
Pilotwings
Nintendogs
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Super Street Fighter IV
Dead or Alive
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Star Fox (Japan)
Professor Layton (Japan)

And the last 4 months was some down time for the whole industry in general. It had barely any games released compare to other season.

kame-sennin said:
If an entertainment company is not producing what the market wants, the best thing for the market and the medium is for that company to collapse and allow new businesses to grow.

All hail Zinga, saviors of the gaming industry...

Vamphuntr

seady said:
People keep saying the 3DS has "no games", but in truth it has only been released 4 months, and it already has games like

Ocarina of Time - Port
Pilotwings
Nintendogs
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Super Street Fighter IV -Port
Dead or Alive- Port
Resident Evil Mercenaries -Port of a minigame
Star Fox (Japan) - Port
Professor Layton (Japan)

And the last 4 months was some down time for the whole industry in general. It had barely any games released compare to other season.

Most of these are ports that people can get elsewhere.

Owzers

seady said:

Ocarina of Time
Pilotwings
Nintendogs
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Super Street Fighter IV
Dead or Alive
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Star Fox (Japan)
Professor Layton (Japan)

poorshane.gif
[/IMG]

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ShockingAlberto said:

Nintendo fanboy being a Nintendo fanboy. Pretending that we need these companies to exist or do well to get video games is beyond fallacious. Companies with poor business practices that price gouge the consumer, release low amounts of software, and do nothing but draw water from the same well of established franchises do not deserve to do well.

Failure in the marketplace means consumer needs are not being met. Something obviously had to change for the 3DS, and if everyone ran out and bought a 3DS just because it has the Nintendo label slapped on it and they need to support video games or some shit like that the world would be a worse place.

Striek

ShockingAlberto said:

F2P, social gaming/facebook gaming etc. are merely a continuation of the direction that Nintendo themselves can lay a pretty good claim to taking the industry in. Lower production values, more inclusive, with more simplistic gameplay thats easier to understand.

Its hard to argue that so many consumers are wrong, and whether or not the 3DS is ultimately successful or not I doubt the overall trends will change.

pieatorium said:
Wasn't there just as much schadenfreude over the PS3's early perfermance 6 years ago? they didn't do a huge pricedrop a few months in because they couldn't afford it.

Actually, Sony dropped the price by $100 the E3 after they launched. Little over half a year.

StevieP

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Nintendo fanboy being a Nintendo fanboy. Pretending that we need these companies to exist or do well to get video games is beyond fallacious. Companies with poor business practices that price gouge the consumer, release low amounts of software, and do nothing but draw water from the same well of established franchises do not deserve to do well.

Yes, Parish the Nintendo fanboy.

As far as your bolded section there: CoD is almost the same game yearly. Mario gets a couple games per hardware generation and usually they are quite diffeent than the previous "dip to the well".

Somnid

Dance In My Blood said:

Failure in the marketplace means consumer needs are not being met. Something obviously had to change for the 3DS, and if everyone ran out and bought a 3DS just because it has the Nintendo label slapped on it and they need to support video games or some shit like that the world would be a worse place.

Linux gaming is where it's at.

seady

Amir0x said:
Competition is a good thing. I definitely think Vita is out of it - but then again, I thought that before this price drop. Few consumers are in it for a gaming dedicated handheld at $250 or more, it has to have way more functionality and be just as portable as your cellphone. Vita is overlarge, seems extremely delicate and screams 'high end' in a way that'd alienate moms buying the systems for their kids - which is a massive segment of the handheld gaming market.

I hope in the future Nintendo keeps their hubris in check so us early adopters don't have to be shafted four months out, but in this case they've pretty much done the best they could with the 20 free games shit. That is a LOT of free games, even if it is ROM DUMP stuff.

Would've been nice they thrown in a 3DSWare game or some shit, but I ain't complaining. With this magnitude of free shit, who can really care?

I think in order to battle mobile phone, dedicated handheld devices need to be LARGER instead of smaller. It should go on the path of iPad and offer slightly deeper experience (though not as deep as console games), along with proper control mechanic and not just touch. That's the kind of experience you can't compare with a mobile phone (big screen, d-pad, great sound etc)

The iPad was able to find a huge audience because it is NOT a phone. It can't be compare to a phone (despite people keep saying it is just a large iPod Touch or iPhone, but has since changed their tone). You can browse the web and play games much more comfortably on it than your tiny screen of a phone.

Once they try to make it small, then they are at risk of being compare to phone, and it is something a dedicated handheld gaming device will never be able to achieve in terms of versatility and mobility. Don't even try to get near it - especially when phone are coming out at such quick pace and in a year your 'dedicated' gaming device will be weaker in spec than those mainstream consumer phone out there.

I actually think Sony should have made the Vita larger.

Sennorin

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Most of these are ports that people can get elsewhere.

Wrong.

Ocarina of Time - Port <- remake
Pilotwings <- new game
Nintendogs <- new game
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars <- new game
Super Street Fighter IV -Port <- port, but playable on-the-go
Dead or Alive- Port <- new game/remake
Resident Evil Mercenaries -Port of a minigame <- new game
Star Fox (Japan) - Port <- remake
Professor Layton (Japan) <- new game

Even if we set aside for a second that you clearly attempted to troll (amateurishly), your statement of saying "most of these are ports" is objectively wrong.

odhiex

I was planning to get a Vita for the end of this year (if it is really coming up this year). Now with the new price of 3DS seems a lot more appealing than before. I can't wait for holiday sales, I might want to pick up both.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Wow early adoption for the lose.

I am usually smart enough not to but this time was definitely a mistake.

DOn;t feel bad I jumped on the HD-DVD bandwagon saying to myself,"Sony's proprietary shit always fails, there's no way I can lose."

inf3cti0n

Banned
Hello,

IN an effort to garnish some some hate towards me while I am a junior member :) Why hasn't nintendo tried to bring titles like peggle , tower defense clone #7017, etc to the 3ds via the eshop.

when you are on the commute its easier to bust out a few levels on peggle than it is to navigate the wall-o-text that is 5 minutes in ff2 us(4jp). They dont need a portable phone to release that level of title on this viable platform.

Please start moving some isheep level titles to the 3ds.

Oli

inf3cti0n said:
Hello,

IN an effort to garnish some some hate towards me while I am a junior member :) Why hasn't nintendo tried to bring titles like peggle , tower defense clone #7017, etc to the 3ds via the eshop.

when you are on the commute its easier to bust out a few levels on peggle than it is to navigate the wall-o-text that is 5 minutes in ff2 us(4jp). They dont need a portable phone to release that level of title on this viable platform.

Please start moving some isheep level titles to the 3ds.

DSiware?

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/nxPd_eXUetQ9xqprBaszpKD5nnapf6dO

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
StevieP said:
Yes, Parish the Nintendo fanboy.
If there was some far flung future where Retronauts was the only link the the history of video games everyone would think 80% of the industry revolved around Nintendo.

I mean his byline for this article is "It's bad news for everyone". Is a drastic price drop on a handheld really bad news for everyone, or just bad news for people with a vested interest in Nintendo?

What Parish ignores is that the system was overpriced to begin with. Dropping the price this soon really does nothing but show that this is the price it should have launched at anyway.

Dance In My Blood said:
If there was some far flung future where Retronauts was the only link the the history of video games everyone would think 80% of the industry revolved around Nintendo.

I mean his byline for this article is "It's bad news for everyone". Is a drastic price drop on a handheld really bad news for everyone, or just bad news for people with a vested interest in Nintendo?

No one wants to see quality companies in our industry perform poorly.

wiid said:
oh Parish, can't stand him.

Nintendo releasing a shitty handheld nobody wants to buy is going to turn the games industry into a free to play Facebook game wasteland. That's quite the leap. But hey, the guys got mad contacts in the biz yo! He is on the inside.

What a fucking moron.

Top Bottom