• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too

Like a damn boss. *salutes*

Corporate hacks in America could learn a thing or two.

Boney

Banned
Andrex said:
Like a damn boss. *salutes*

Corporate hacks in America could learn a thing or two.
Nah in the west you'd have seen the CEO cashing out all the stock and leaving the sinking ship and landing another high profile job.

by sinking ship I'm not referring to nintendo

ampere

Amir0x said:
niiice

it's kind of endearing to see an executive like that take responsibility for a failing. Some companies could use humility like that
Wow, respect to Iwata for that pay cut.

gibbogame David Gibson
For 3ds and wiiu we are strongly aiming on digital side
26 minutes ago
If this is the case I want to see a serious effort to revamp their online efforts.

Amir0x

Banned
Andrex said:
Thankfully. :p

And thankfully the industry can support so many different types of gamers.

if the industry made what I want nobody on GAF would ever complain about anything ever again. It'd be called Paradise and it would never happen because God doesn't exist.

Ulairi

Banned
Dynamite Shikoku said:
Nintendo are going to be ignored by consumers soon enough if they dont finally accept that they need a good internet service. The best thing about gaming on my ipod is just being able to instantly download and play games. Thats real innovation - not some 3d screen

My computer has been doing that for over a decade. :)

brochiller said:
Fucking respect to the Nintendo execs for that.

You would never see that from an American company. Never.

Boney said:
Nah in the west you'd have seen the CEO cashing out all the stock and leaving the sinking ship and landing another high profile job.

by sinking ship I'm not referring to nintendo

In the West, most good CEO's don't even have a salary. For instance, Steve Job's from Apple, Larry Ellis from Oracle, and Eric Schmidt from Google's salary is $1 a year. That's how it should be, the CEO's worth should be based solely on the companies stock value. The company does good, he does good. The company does bad, he does bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amir0x said:
if the industry made what I want nobody on GAF would ever complain about anything ever again. It'd be called Paradise and it would never happen because God doesn't exist.

except the Animal Crossing fans would be left out in the cold

ampere

Amir0x said:
Are we thinking of the same GAF? :lol

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
53 minutes ago

Wow. Why won't more companies do this? That is a really good move on Nintendo's part.

I hope they have learned their lessons from the 3DS launch and make the Wii U have one hell of a debut.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MasterShotgun said:
Wow. Why won't more companies do this? That is a really good move on Nintendo's part.
Japan. Iwata, and many Japanese execs already have low salaries compared to the west.

Firestorm

OldJadedGamer said:
In the West, most good CEO's don't even have a salary. For instance, Steve Job's from Apple, Larry Ellis from Oracle, and Eric Schmidt from Google's salary is $1 a year. That's how it should be, the CEO's worth should be based solely on the companies stock value. The company does good, he does good. The company does bad, he does bad.
I think people are talking about sleazeballs at companies like Goldman Sachs.

BurntPork

Banned
Amir0x said:
not sure if serious

Firestorm

FYI from June 2010:
Nintendo, being a Japanese company, naturally complied. It revealed that its CEO Satoru Iwata pulled in ¥187 million ($2.11m) last year, though just ¥68 million ($0.77m) of that was his salary - the rest included performance-based bonuses. A six-man group of Nintendo board members that included the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, on the other hand, pulled in ¥100 million ($1.13m) in total, which indicates that Mr. Miyamoto's claims of refusing exorbitant salaries in order to remain more in line with his lesser-known coworkers are probably true.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101758-How-Much-Money-Does-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Make

Amir0x

Banned
ciaossu said:
Are we thinking of the same GAF? :lol

If it is in a world where the industry made everything I want, then yes. Amir0x run gaming world is one filled with bleating of lambs and the giggles of new born children, the pitter-patter of little bambi hooves on the ceramic tile floor. Rainbows flow from the nipples of saggy breasted manchildren everywhere, where little crumbs of cheese doodles collapse upon the rug to form endless orange fields of flaky cheesy goodness, where fairies graze upon the open cum-stained mouse pad and every day is the season finale of The Wire, Mad Men and Sopranos combined.

In my world, you find your destiny.

OldJadedGamer said:
In the West, most good CEO's don't even have a salary. For instance, Steve Job's from Apple, Larry Ellis from Oracle, and Eric Schmidt from Google's salary is $1 a year.
You know what all those guys have in common? They're billionaires. I'm sure if Iwata was wealthy enough, he'd do it too, because then he wouldn't have to pay income taxes.

Ulairi

Banned
Amir0x said:
If it is in a world where the industry made everything I want, then yes. Amir0x run gaming world is one filled with bleating of lambs and the giggles of new born children, the pitter-patter of little bambi hooves on the ceramic tile floor. Rainbows flow from the nipples of saggy breasted manchildren everywhere, where little crumbs of cheese doodles collapse upon the rug to form endless orange fields of flaky cheesy goodness, where fairies graze upon the open cum-stained mouse pad and every day is the season finale of The Wire, Mad Men and Sopranos combined.

In my world, you find your destiny.

If in your world Animal Crossing never exists I'm ready to sign up.

Amir0x

Banned
Ulairi said:
If in your world Animal Crossing never exists I'm ready to sign up.

Are you kidding? In my world instead of Satan, Tom Nook is the personification of evil - and the game Animal Crossing is akin to, say, Jericho or some shit. Devilry and horrors, the yearning cries of mothers holding the crushed skulls of their infant children.

QuiteWhittle said:
You know what all those guys have in common? They're billionaires.

They are billionaires because they own stock in the companies they are responsible for running. When the company does good, they personally make money... when the company does bad, they lose money.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just as I was beginning to think that Iwata was losing his magic, he once again does something awesome.

I really hope he knows what he is doing with Wii U, though.

Sky Chief

OldJadedGamer said:

It's also a really convenient way to be able to be worth millions and pay much less in taxes than you should.

BocoDragon said:
Oh.. exclusive download games?

Hmmm.. considering 3DS is $200 on sale in Canada this week... might bite...

Smart move Nintendo. Reward the early adopters. Grab a few fence sitters who might want those VC games. Sell the VC service to those users. Fix the price for the mass market and put an end to the horrible launch sales disaster.

Reward??? I'd gladly have my $80 back in exchange for their "reward" thank you very much.

Ulairi

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
They are billionaires because they own stock in the companies they are responsible for running. When the company does good, they personally make money... when the company does bad, they lose money.

Do you know how incentive stock option plans are taxed? Keep that in mind the next time Steve Jobs tries to talk about how rich people are taxed to low, he's not talking about people like him. He's talking about the family of four with a CPA dad and a lawyer mom.

ampere

BigNastyCurve said:
Reward??? I'd gladly have my $80 back in exchange for their "reward" thank you very much.
Yeah, but they can't actually afford that, so here's something rather than nothing I suppose :/

Sianos

Daaaamn, I wasn't expecting anything more than a drop to 200. Good move, Nintendo. Impressed that Iwata took the fall for the 3DS as well, I have more and more respect for him.

Makes me really regret adopting early, but eh, that's the price you pay.

InfiniDragon said:
Like a true boss.

Looks like people can rule out "hubris mode" after a move like that.

How? It's what got them where they are right now with the 3DS. It clearly wasn't "worth" (by any definition of the word) their asking price and apparently they knew it.

BigNastyCurve said:
How? It's what got them where they are right now with the 3DS. It clearly wasn't "worth" (by any definition of the word) their asking price and apparently they knew it.

If they were still old school "we don't give a fuck" Nintendo, an admittance of failure and taking out of their own pockets to fix it would not have happened. 3DS at that price was a hell of an overcharge, absolutely. But hubris? I don't think so. Not after this response.

Let me in

InfiniDragon said:
If they were still old school "we don't give a fuck" Nintendo, an admittance of failure and taking out of their own pockets to fix it would not have happened. 3DS at that price was a hell of an overcharge, absolutely. But hubris? I don't think so. Not after this response.
If it were old-school Nintendo, I don't think the price wouldn't have gone down for quite some time and we would have been hearing about "value." They're not only showing humilty, but they're showing a great deal of practicality as well.

Let me in said:
If it were old-school Nintendo, I don't think the price wouldn't have gone down for quite some time and we would have been hearing about "value." They're not only showing humilty, but they're showing a great deal of practicality as well.

My point exactly.

Let me in said:
Iwata specifically said at the results meeting that they did not take the opportunity to drop the GC price when they could and that one action basically lost it for them, so they dropped it when it seemed right for the 3DS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
Iwata specifically said at the results meeting that they did not take the opportunity to drop the GC price when they could and that one action basically lost it for them, so they dropped it when it seemed right for the 3DS.

I hope Iwata stays in charge for the next 50 years.

Andrex said:
I hope Iwata stays in charge for the next 50 years.

Eh. I'll judge that based on whether he actually follows through on his talk about DD, and whether their Wii U strategy reflects a realization that an overwhelmingly Japan-centric strategy is no real way to run an international company, among other factors.

Top Bottom