• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Honestly I cant believe nobody saw this coming

Even an ipod touch was cheaper than the DS

And with the PSV being $250 they had to cut down on the "it prints money!" scam

AceBandage said:
I'm not mathmagician, but I'd say a lot.

I imagine it'll be a pretty hot seller, at least I hope. I thought the shit would sell at $250 but Ninty really fucked up marketing and game wise. They really need to do something to show that the 3DS isn't just a revision of the regular DS, like really bad.

phants

ciaossu said:
It's way overpriced. Not quite double, but approaching it in both the US and Australia.

Come to New Zealand some time ;)

Not really complaining, though, I could import if I wanted and I know what it costs to service a tiny market. Plus I already have one.

Anyone going from the USA to Gamescom? Wanna pick me up a US 3DS system at the new low price in exchange for cash and something awesome from New Zealand? :D?

We have hobbitses

ampere

phants said:
Come to New Zealand some time ;)

Not really complaining, though, I could import if I wanted and I know what it costs to service a tiny market. Plus I already have one.

Anyone going from the USA to Gamescom? Wanna pick me up a US 3DS system at the new low price in exchange for cash and something awesome from New Zealand? :D?

We have hobbitses
I'd love to visit, it looks beautiful :)

I'm somewhat deterred from living there when I look at how much things cost x.X

BurntPork said:
How much do the DSi and DSi LL cost in Japan? And is the DS Lite discontinued there?
According to wikipedia only the DSphat is discontinued

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AceBandage said:
Then that's just crazy.
For a brand new handheld that isn't even half a year old, $100 is just insane.
Well, then that's why he's going to have to wait until it's not so brand new.

BurntPork

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
I wouldn't buy it even if it were free, but I'm saying that I would if it were $99 so that I don't have to admit that I hate Nintendo hardware and would never buy it.
Fixed. Seriously, you guys saying that it needs to be $99 need to grow a pair and say what you really mean. Otherwise, explain why you think it should be $99, and don't use the library as a reason since pricing a console based on the library is fucking retarded.

_Xenon_

Banned
BurntPork said:
Fixed. Seriously, you guys saying that it needs to be $99 need to grow a pair and say what you really mean. Otherwise, explain why you think it should be $99, and don't use the library as a reason since pricing a console based on the library is fucking retarded.
Man I have DSL on day one, because the library was worth it.

3DS? What am I supposed to play on it? Especially after I got a smart phone with a bunch of 0$ RPGs I just can't find a reason to buy this thing.

Man i remember the thread when this thing was announced. Pretty much everyone was sure this thing would be a monster right out the gate, being successor to the best selling handheld of all time and glassless 3D.

This news would blown minds if predicted back then.

mooooose

I'm bitter, but I hope it sells. Great hardware (other than the self screen scratching), very interesting software, and an unbelievable little powerhouse in my opinion. 3D and some great looking graphics. Online isn't everything I want it to be, but it's pretty good overall. Streetpass is very cool and hopefully when the time comes, they will expand on it.

I really want this special iPhone everyone else has that features free, awesome RPGs.

Mine has Chaos Rings for like $10 and Burn The Rope which lasted me all of fifteen minutes before I got bored with it.

But maybe it's because mine is a 3GS and does not support the "it doesn't matter where games come out because all you'll ever play is NBA Jam without buttons and you will defend it to the death" firmware comes out. That might be 4-exclusive.

BurntPork

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
Man I have DSL on day one, because the library was worth it.

3DS? What am I supposed to play on it? Especially after I got a smart phone with a bunch of 0$ RPGs I just can't find a reason to buy this thing.
Then why not not say something reasonable like... what you just said. :/ Or at least "it's not worth it until the library is better." Saying that it should be $99 is just plain silly. If prices are based on library, then everything should launch at less than $100. There's no logic behind saying that, and it just makes you sound bitter.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
velvet_nitemare said:
Man i remember the thread when this thing was announced. Pretty much everyone was sure this thing would be a monster right out the gate, being successor to the best selling handheld of all time and glassless 3D.

It would have blown minds that the 3DS cost $249.99 with such a bad launch lineup.

_Xenon_

Banned
dwu8991 said:
3D is a long term investment. Not having 3D is short sighted.
They bet the wrong horse.

Back in NDS era, they bet the right one: touch screen. Just look at today's handheld devices (phones, tabs), which one doesn't have it?

But 3D? I'm not sure about that.

That and 3rd party delaying & canceling 3DS games left and right just ain't helping.

BurntPork said:
Then why not not say something reasonable like... what you just said. :/ Or at least "it's not worth it until the library is better." Saying that it should be $99 is just plain silly. If prices are based on library, then everything should launch at less than $100. There's no logic behind saying that, and it just makes you sound bitter.
Yeah ... sorry man I wasn't intended to be bitter ... sometimes I just can't control my fingers :/

wsippel

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:

We didn't know how expensive it was going to be, and we expected a much better launch lineup. When the price was announced and most interesting games got delayed or canceled, it became pretty clear that it wouldn't be the monster initially expected. After the price drop and going into the holiday season, I'm a lot more confident. Still lacks the defining, out of the left field game, but that can probably wait until next year. What's there this year should do the trick for now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Didn't they also announce the price at E3 too? All the "man the 3DS was so impressive after E3" comments confuse me.

Or maybe my memory is worse than I though. Might be time to start taking my prescriptions again.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:
Didn't they also announce the price at E3 too? All the "man the 3DS was so impressive after E3" comments confuse me.

Or maybe my memory is worse than I though. Might be time to start taking my prescriptions again.
No, they didn't. They didn't announce it until January 2011 I believe. Japan got their price in September 2010 I think.

wsippel

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
I was going to rage about being an early adopter but then I remembered I only paid £148 for mine and I'm now getting free games too :D
Yeah, most people, especially in Europe, seem to forget that they never paid €250 to begin with. I personally paid €222 with a free game, get the 19% tax back, got Excite Bike 3D for free, and now another free 20 games. 21 actually, but everyone will get Four Swords. Pretty good deal, actually.

watershed

Banned
mooooose said:
I'm bitter, but I hope it sells. Great hardware (other than the self screen scratching), very interesting software, and an unbelievable little powerhouse in my opinion. 3D and some great looking graphics. Online isn't everything I want it to be, but it's pretty good overall. Streetpass is very cool and hopefully when the time comes, they will expand on it.
I agree the 3ds is pretty good hardware wise but still with some glaring issues mostly related to the online side. At this new price point its an amazing piece of hardware. But will it be enough! That's the big question.

wsippel

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I agree the 3ds is pretty good hardware wise but still with some glaring issues mostly related to the online side. At this new price point its an amazing piece of hardware. But will it be enough! That's the big question.
In this case, at least online isn't broken by design. I want to believe the main issue was that the basic network SDK and infrastructure wasn't done until a month ago (as the Pokémon CEO claimed), and that this is what it held back.

watershed

Banned
wsippel said:
In this case, at least online isn't broken by design. I want to believe the main issue was that the basic network SDK and infrastructure wasn't done until a month ago (as the Pokémon CEO claimed), and that this is what it held back.
Well, if that is the case, that was terrible management on Nintendo's part but even if true the 3ds is still lacking messaging between friends, chat or pictochat for friends online, the ability to organize the friend list, friend invites instead of 2 way friend codes, and a few other online things I'm sure I'm forgetting. To me these are pretty basic features that for as long as they're missing will at minimum create a negative perception of the 3ds' online capabilities/ecosystem/whatever.

Also it needs more 1st party games to take advantage of its supposedly very easy to set up and efficient online infrastructure.

BurntPork

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I think it'll be enough in Japan, at least. I mean, look what that new color did there!

Everywhere else, it still needs software, but I'll remain hopeful that sales in the US will stay above 150k per month from now until the holiday, it'll sell 2-3 million during the holiday, and it'll stay above 200k/month after that. Not great, but far from a flop. Sales will likely go up to 250-300k/month after a revision is released, which will likely happen in July 2012.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastical said:
No, they didn't. They didn't announce it until January 2011 I believe. Japan got their price in September 2010 I think.

I can't remember where I heard the "How much would they pay for the 3DS? $350? $300? Well, it's actually $250!"

Where was that from?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:
I can't remember where I heard the "How much would they pay for the 3DS? $350? $300? Well, it's actually $250!"

Where was that from?
The January conference. I think it was the 19th. They had simultaneous conferences in Europe and North America.

That was some bullshit revealing it they way they did. They definitely didn't announce it at E3. GAF was speculating about the price for quite a while.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastical said:
The January conference. I think it was the 19th. They had simultaneous conferences in Europe and North America.

That was some bullshit revealing it they way they did. They definitely didn't announce it at E3. GAF was speculating about the price for quite a while.

Right right. I must have been watching a livestream then because I clearly remember Reggie saying those things...

Trurl

Banned
Shadowlayer said:
Honestly I cant believe nobody saw this coming
Lots of people saw it coming.

Early adopters (I am one) should be happy at this news. Regardless of the price drop paying $250 was a mistake, but at least now the system has a shot at long term viability.

Top Bottom