• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Hmm...this price point is now very tempting...but so is the offer of free, unreleased games for the current price point.

What to do, what to do...

AniHawk

biggyfries said:
Hmm...this price point is now very tempting...but so is the offer of free, unreleased games for the current price point.

What to do, what to do...

buy it before august 12 at a chain that will pay back the difference, log into the e shop before august 12. get the free games whenever they hit. get the difference when the price drops.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BY2K said:

Howso? There have not been any patches yet, despite the Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon issues (which were both fixed with firmware updates rather than patches). There's no indication that there are patches on the way. No developer has said that they plan to patch anything.

BowieZ

Banned
Why would retailers honor a retroactive price match when they ought to be aware that there is a special incentive to buying prior to the price drop?

They should only honor it if you bring in a switched on 3DS that has no eShop installed yet.

Unai

Stumpokapow said:
Howso? There have not been any patches yet, despite the Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon issues (which were both fixed with firmware updates rather than patches). There's no indication that there are patches on the way. No developer has said that they plan to patch anything.

There's DLC, what is pretty much like patches.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BowieZ said:
Why would retailers honor a retroactive price match when they ought to be aware that there is a special incentive to buying prior to the price drop?

Why would they care? The free games don't impact them in any way. It's not their promotion, it's Nintendo's.

They offer price protection--for all products. The reason why the person bought it is irrelevant. The reason why the price dropped is irrelevant. The amount that the price dropped is irrelevant. That's how price protection works.

They should only honor it if you bring in a switched on 3DS that has no eShop installed yet.

Yes, Wal-Mart should unnecessarily delay their customer service lines and inconvenience their customers and confuse the fuck out of any parents who try to use price protection and don't know what the eShop is except that it's something for the iTouch Nintendomabob... and for absolutely no benefit to anyone.

TGMIII

Might be interested in picking one up once the price drop takes effect but I can't see 3D. Am I missing a whole lot with the 3DS?

BowieZ

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Yes, Wal-Mart should unnecessarily delay their customer service lines and inconvenience their customers and confuse the fuck out of any parents who try to use price protection and don't know what the eShop is except that it's something for the iTouch Nintendomabob... and for absolutely no benefit to anyone.
Really? That many customers clueless customers will buy a 3DS and seek a price match between July 28 and August 10... without having any idea what a Nintendomabob is?

TheNatural

My Member!
BowieZ said:
Really? That many customers clueless customers will buy a 3DS and seek a price match between July 28 and August 10... without having any idea what a Nintendomabob is?

Retailers don't give a fuck what a manufacturer incentive is. Hell, they probably like the cash flow of having someone's money for an extra week or two. No one is going to enforce a rule against price matching because something the manufacturer is doing.

I bought my 3DS at launch, and the only game I own is Ocarina of Time. I've been throughly disappointed in the 3DS so far, and I was planning on selling it as soon as I beat Zelda, and just waiting until the next version of the 3DS was out.

It's not really worth doing that now, as I'll get fuck all for selling it due to the price drop.

I still regret buying one at launch, but I will admit, 10 free NES and 10 free GBA games (especially really good ones, and GBA games that won't be available to anybody else) do take a lot of the sting away, especially since it's likely that they can be transferred to the next version of the 3DS (if they can't, very few people would upgrade, so it's in Nintendo's best interests to allow it).

I also imagine that such a big price drop and a free games incentive probably means the next version of the 3DS is still a long way off.

BowieZ

Banned
Shotgun Kiss said:
I bought my 3DS at launch, and the only game I own is Ocarina of Time. I've been throughly disappointed in the 3DS so far, and I was planning on selling it as soon as I beat Zelda, and just waiting until the next version of the 3DS was out.

It's not really worth doing that now, as I'll get fuck all for selling it due to the price drop.

I still regret buying one at launch, but I will admit, 10 free NES and 10 free GBA games (especially really good ones, and GBA games that won't be available to anybody else) do take a lot of the sting away, especially since it's likely that they can be transferred to the next version of the 3DS (if they can't, very few people would upgrade, so it's in Nintendo's best interests to allow it).

I also imagine that such a big price drop and a free games incentive probably means the next version of the 3DS is still a long way off.
Can I ask, why the hell did you buy it at launch? If you did your homework, how can you be disappointed in the 3DS itself? Everything turned out as expected, except this price drop.

Oh, and except for the MONSTER Holiday '11-First Quarter '12... with previously unannounced titles like Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario 3D Land being added to an already exciting line-up... but of course you probably dislike first-party Nintendo games ... or something....

Gravijah

BowieZ said:
Then Nintendo ought to bring forward the cut-off date for the Ambassador program.

It sucks that people get to pay the new price and get the 20 free games but that's just life. We're gonna have to just accept it and move on. In the future that should teach us to wait!*

*It hasn't. my Vita pre-order is still up. :(

BowieZ said:
Can I ask, why the hell did you buy it at launch? If you did your homework, how can you be disappointed in the 3DS itself? Everything turned out as expected, except this price drop.

Oh, and except for the MONSTER Holiday '11-First Quarter '12... with previously unannounced titles like Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario 3D Land being added to an already exciting line-up... but of course you probably dislike first-party Nintendo games ... or something....

My biggest problem with the 3DS is the system itself. I find it uncomfortable to hold, the screens are too small (I've been spoiled by my DSi XL), the battery life is terrible, and the bottom screen scratches the top screen.

We had no idea we'd be waiting so long for the Virtual Console to come out (the Wii got it at launch), and we still don't many good games for it. And we still haven't heard anything regarding 3D Classics.

Also, I was under the impression that there were more games coming out within the first few months. I didn't think we'd have to wait so long for all the AAA stuff, such as Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BowieZ said:

Again, you still haven't identified the problem here. As far as I can tell, your problem is that an incredibly small minority of people will be able to save money and get games, and you're angry because you're not one of them. This is not a problem for retailers. This is not a problem for Nintendo.

BowieZ

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Again, you still haven't identified the problem here. As far as I can tell, your problem is that an incredibly small minority of people will be able to save money and get games, and you're angry because you're not one of them. This is not a problem for retailers. This is not a problem for Nintendo.
Angry? haha. Nah. Just kinda disappointed that these schemers will be classed as "3DS Ambassadors" :p

Lovely Salsa said:
That sucks more than gravity

oh well, thats life....

One thing I certainly don't see any reason to complain about in this situation is the lineup of games. Granted, we don't know the whole list, but we do know that we'll get the following:

NES games

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda

GBA Games

Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit,
Metroid™ Fusion
WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

That's a stellar lineup, especially the GBA games. Also, remember that there are no plans to release the GBA games to the general public afterwards. I hope that changes in the future, as I really want to see GBA games on Virtual Console, but for now it makes the incentive all the better, as they're going to be exclusive for a long time, at least.

mclem

Shotgun Kiss said:
GBA Games

Yoshi’s Island
Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit,
Metroid™ Fusion
WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

That's a stellar lineup, especially the GBA games.

Quick point of order: Mario Advance 3 *is* Yoshi's Island. (Advance 1 was SMB2, Advance 2 was SMW and Advance 4 was SMB3); your listing there implies two distinct titles.

gkryhewy

Gravijah said:
Did Amazon start selling 3DSes again? I know they stopped for a bit because of complaints/issues.

They had previously halted sale, but it was because of an undisclosed "stock issue" rather than the hardware issues assumed by NeoGAF. They did end up bringing it back on sale for $249.99. My guess is that they got early wind of the price drop, and wanted to protect themselves from complaints from customers buying now -- but couldn't say that.

mclem said:
Quick point of order: Mario Advance 3 *is* Yoshi's Island. (Advance 1 was SMB2, Advance 2 was SMW and Advance 4 was SMB3); your listing there implies two distinct titles.

Oops, You're right; I broke that up wrong. I got mixed up and thought Super Mario Bros 3 was Mario Advance 3, but thinking about it, that's Mario Advance 4.

Thanks for the correction.

wsippel

Banned
Mailenstein said:
I actually already did. The thing feels like a DSi with added features UI wise. Every application feels like it's on it's own, seperated from the other ones. It may be just me, but I don't see or feel any crossconnection between applications and the whole system doesn't feel like it's designed to deliver any kind of online experience, beside shopping games which I already could on the DSi. I'm pretty much missing any improvement in this area. What is that friends list good for at this point? To see what people are playing and to read their favourite catchphrase? Hey, that guy is playing the same game atm and it's capable of online multiplayer! How can I message him? Internet or phone. I mean c'mon, seriously. I don't need features which don't add anything to my gaming experience at all.
I see what you mean, and I'd like a bit more consistency and tighter integration as well, but the frameworks seem solid. The friends list is unified across games, online notification is unified and works across all native games. You have a nice multicolor message LED that tells you when a friend comes online, and the OS has a status message framework in place as well. The problem is that all that needs to be extended. For example, if the message LED flashes orange, you know something online related happened. You hit the home button, and a status message appears on the top screen telling you that one of your friends just logged on. That's nice and all, but here lies the first problem: To actually know who logged on, you need to open your friends list. That's bullshit. There is a status message, the name should be displayed there. The same notification framework should also always be used as a ticker, to tell you what's new on the eShop and stuff, but anyway: The framework is in place, it just isn't used properly. Messaging is obviously an essential, as are cross game invites - basically predefined messages sent from within a game with a different visual notification. Dunno, have the status LED slowly pulsating for a regular message, and rapidly pulsating for an invite or something. All of that should be possible with what's in place, it's a matter of actually doing it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
mr. puppy said:
i've somehow missed all of this....could somebody maybe explain why the 3ds sucks?

It doesn't. It just launched with terrible software, the thing that drives sales.

jwluther

mr. puppy said:
i've somehow missed all of this....could somebody maybe explain why the 3ds sucks?
It launched four months ago and there's one game worth playing. That game is a remake of a 13 year old game. In addition, the online system feels more like something that should have been around when said game was first released, not when it was remade in the 21st century.

1-D_FTW

BowieZ said:
Angry? haha. Nah. Just kinda disappointed that these schemers will be classed as "3DS Ambassadors" :p

Think of it this way: It's the only way I'd even consider the 3DS at this point. If I had to pay the 250 to get the ROMS or 170 without them, I'd probably still pass. This at least tempts me to give Nintendo my money (and once I have their system, I'll buy some of their 40 dollar cartridges even though I find the pricing offensive.)

[Nintex]

mr. puppy said:
Nintendo took their 2004 handheld, upgraded the hardware to somewhat above PSP level and launched it in 2011 for $250 without any noticable games, completely ignoring all market trends from the last 2 or 3 years except for 3D and they didn't release most of the online features untill 3 months after launch.

They've just been forced back to reality.

mr. puppy said:

Nintendo said "hey, third parties always whinge about how their software doesn't sell on our systems because it has to compete with our stuff, so we'll give them some breathing room and not release any kind of heavy hitter at launch". Third parties took advantage of this opportunity offered to them by promptly shitting the bed, leaving the system without much in the way of compelling, must-have games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
jwluther said:
It launched four months ago and there's one game worth playing. That game is a remake of a 13 year old game. In addition, the online system feels more like something that should have been around when said game was first released, not when it was remade in the 21st century.
Oh my God... I just realized I'm stupid. What have I been doing? Having fun with games such as Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Ghost Recon, and Samurai Warriors... They're not even worth playing, for Christ's sake!

soldat7

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

wat

BowieZ

Banned
Brazil said:
Oh my God... I just realized I'm stupid. What have I been doing? Having fun with games such as Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Ghost Recon, and Samurai Warriors... They're not even worth playing, for Christ's sake!
Yeah neither me nor my brother have enjoyed Pilotwings or Steel Diver multiplayer and I haven't given 12 hours so far to nintendogs (haven't unlocked the cats yet) with plans to do so but been busy with other games... eStore titles... StreetPass Quests... Ocarina of Time... the entirety of the 6-year DS catalogue at my disposal.

No fun at all.

Not worth playing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
soldat7 said:

Don't believe it for a second. My guess is that at E3 2012 they announce this for everyone.

Top Bottom