• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo acquires $150 million company that's not Japanese and not gaming related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarlaxle

It is magic beans.

fun-and-fancy-free-1947-donald-duck-e1273952940242.jpg

That begs the question, does this free up Nintendo to make a system that competes directly with Sony/MS?
There is absolutely no point in Nintendo doing this. The majority of people that buy and play on those systems tend to play the types of games Nintendo doesn't make. It would be a total waste of time, effort and money for Nintendo, they lost the audience ages ago and that audience isn't likely to come back any time soon. If Wii U was as powerful and PS4 / XBO, it would still probably be in the same predicament now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Maybe Nintendo would buy a DIMPS or a TOSE, would probably help with their output. If not buy outright, than maybe a large strategic investment?
This or Sega seem to be fitting to the amount of money we are talking about, but he says "tech acqusition" and that would be a strange wording if he meant a development studio. I'd guess they bought a tech-company or some licenses and plants from a tech-company.

Tenki

It'd be cool if they bought some game studio (Spike-Chunsoft comes to mind), but it's probably QoL related, so...

Maybe Nintendo would buy a DIMPS or a TOSE, would probably help with their output. If not buy outright, than maybe a large strategic investment?

Why buying when you can hire them anytime you want?

This or Sega seem to be fitting to the amount of money we are talking about, but he says "tech acqusition" and that would be a strange wording if he meant a development studio. I'd guess they bought a tech-company or some licenses and plants from a tech-company.

I dont think Sammy would Sega that cheap

Perhaps some of Japan Sega but I dont see them selling their PC assets for that cheap

balohna

The got Unity

They want a unique platform for their product, they buy it.

I hope not. It would be good for Nintendo, but terrible for a lot of developers if Unity ended up being a Nintendo-platforms-only deal. If they did buy it, I would hope they'd still allow Unity support for other platforms.

SirShandy

This is pretty funny.

How is it funny? I can completely understand if people feel the need to make fun of something for whatever depraved urge they need satiate, but for the sake of genuine and honest comedy, this doesn't work at all.

For one thing, it's expected and obvious. The best comedy plays with expectations. In this case, you can basically predict every lame joke someone is going to make if you see Nintendo in the headline. This is about as lazy as low hanging fruit will get you.

Next, it's way too context sensitive - for most people, this will require quite a bit of explanation before any consideration of the humor can be understood. Even then, you have to think, what is in the substance of the joke? Really there is none. A good joke illuminates, this is preschool playground style of joking for the sake making fun of something.

Next, even if one could wrap their mind around the image of a Japanese man spending 100 Million to get an escape pod, their are way to many leaps of logic for the joke to have any organic sense. I suppose some of the humor is the size of the sum which would equate to the quality of the escape pod itself, a metaphor for the direness of the situation that needs escaping, but even here it does not work because it is a very shallow and narrow reading of the situation and therefore cheap. It's the same pit a lot of observational comedians fall into when the thing their complaining about has a simple and easy reason for being that way.

Ultimately, for the respect of comedy, I'd hope people refrain from these sort of posts that are easy, obvious, and cheap, just because they wish to capitalize on the moment.

Zarovitch

I hope not. It would be good for Nintendo, but terrible for a lot of developers if Unity ended up being a Nintendo-platforms-only deal. If they did buy it, I would hope they'd still allow Unity support for other platforms.

Probably Unity worth more than that, but i think they would stay multiplatform.

edit: like EmCeeGramr said
I was just joking.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
They bought 250'000 PS4s

corn_fest

How is it funny? I can completely understand if people feel the need to make fun of something for whatever depraved urge they need satiate, but for the sake of genuine and honest comedy, this doesn't work at all.

For one thing, it's expected and obvious. The best comedy plays with expectations. In this case, you can basically predict every lame joke someone is going to make if you see Nintendo in the headline. This is about as lazy as low hanging fruit will get you.

Next, it's way too context sensitive - for most people, this will require quite a bit of explanation before any consideration of the humor can be understood. Even then, you have to think, what is in the substance of the joke? Really there is none. A good joke illuminates, this is preschool playground style of joking for the sake making fun of something.

Next, even if one could wrap their mind around the image of a Japanese man spending 100 Million to get an escape pod, their are way to many leaps of logic for the joke to have any organic sense. I suppose some of the humor is the size of the sum which would equate to the quality of the escape pod itself, a metaphor for the direness of the situation that needs escaping, but even here it does not work because it is a very shallow and narrow reading of the situation and therefore cheap. It's the same pit a lot of observational comedians fall into when the thing their complaining about has a simple and easy reason for being that way.

Ultimately, for the respect of comedy, I'd hope people refrain from these sort of posts that are easy, obvious, and cheap, just because they wish to capitalize on the moment.

lol

Cosmozone

Don't think it's a company. Probably a set of patents. What's annoying is that there are now patents for even the most trivial things.

Cbajd5

Why did I even read more than 1 page of this thread, this may be the most pointless read I've ever had on gaf.

cuz it's fun

also they bought a genetic engineering company to make pokemon kirby real so they can have real trainers destroy the universe

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

"I don't know how much you know about comedy (I'm an expert)" ...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I dont think Sammy would Sega that cheap

Perhaps some of Japan Sega but I dont see them selling their PC assets for that cheap
If Nintendo were to buy Sega, I doubt they'd be interested in the PC studios, they are not making games that would fit Nintendo systems at all. For Sega Japan, as well as the Sega franchises including Sonic, 100 million seems realistic to me (not an expert though)

Access the purchases before the company releases them?

Investors get the information the same time everybody else does, or at least the investors that are not actually insiders in the company (and those investors, in turn, cannot act upon that information until it is public).

At any rate, this individual said this occurred in Q4, and presumably it is based upon information he is seeing in the financial information released overnight. If that is indeed the case, it would be nice to identify what, in particular, he is referring to in that information.

If it's not in there, then where is it.

Edit: And to be more clear, I'm not even talking about what was purchased, more like just where's the line item.

Stulaw

Maybe they bought half of ARM holdings and called it LEG?

jk

Hopefully this is discussed more during the briefing, I'd like to know what they have planned.

wrowa

You need to keep in mind that he doesn't know either what exactly Nintendo has bought. "Tech aquisition" can mean anything from development studios to patents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom