• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Big Announcement on Monday

Really?! The big announcement is Minecraft?

Nintendo continues to disappoint and depress me. I have been a big fan on Nintendo since I got my original Nintendo in 1987. But they just keep on digging their own hole.

Call me a "Monday Morning Quarterback" or "Forum Jockey", but if I were in charge of Nintendo, putting them back on top would be an easy job.

This was not a "big announcement". This was some thing mentioned on a podcast and revealed via Twitter. I continue to be baffled why people were seriously expecting a legitimate megaton through twitter on a random Monday in December.

foltzie1

All of this saltiness for an announcement of the third best selling game of all time coming to new platform and new hardware manufacturer.

On top of that, "Big Announcement" was someone else words and not Nintendo's, though the words are definitely apropos.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
This was not a "big announcement". This was some thing mentioned on a podcast and revealed via Twitter. I continue to be baffled why people were seriously expecting a legitimate megaton through twitter on a random Monday in December.

Because I personally love the idea of any part of any company coming out of the woodwork at random times saying a megaton or a large bomb. It never happens but I would love it if some dev that is working on Crackdown tweets Halo 5 is coming to PC, or a Community manager said that Uncharted 4 actually ran at 4k 60fps somehow. All of which being immediately backed up by hardcore facts and videos that were officially posted and the announcement that it is coming out tomorrow.

Again, in the end it never happens but it's fun to think it might.

TheJoRu

This announcement is great because:

1) It's actually a very big deal, so it absolutely deserves the label "big announcement"

2) It turns the screws for everyone who worked themselves up into a stupid hypegasm about Retro Studios Dark Matoor Startropics 3: A Fire Emblem Tale Featuring John Halo and Nathan Drake: Exclusively for NX: Which Is 1000 Times More Powerful Than PS4: Also Sony Is Not Good And Nintendo Is The Best.

Seems win-win to me. I was expecting something much smaller like a sale or announcement of an announcement or something.

Yup. When I saw it was Minecraft it actually surprised me. I predicted it, so I shouldn't have been, but my initial thought was "oh, so it actually was quite big news".

It's a good get for Nintendo, especially right before Christmas. There'll be a lot of activity on the eShop during the Holidays (the crashes previous years has proven that), so having Minecraft there for kids (and others) looking for stuff to buy it's a really good thing.

Cleve

Wait... Microsoft is publishing Minecraft on the WiiU?

Microsoft is putting minecraft on anything that will take it. Shouldn't be a surprise really. The decision to buy it was large enough that it was done above the xbox brand. For microsoft, Minecraft is an investment in the mindshare of today's kids.

T.E.D

Banned
Can't understand why people are so shocked....what exactly were you expecting?

It seems every time Nintendo have some sort of announcement people are shouting Mario Galaxy 3 or Metroid Prime 4!!!!

Guys, you're getting no big games for Wii U that hasn't already been announced. It's all NX now. You just have to play the waiting game for six months.

Makes complete sense. Anything that would be seen as a megaton would either be in a nintendo direct or have moderate build up. This announcement seems appropriate to the amount of build up they did.

bumpkin

Can't understand why people are so shocked....what exactly were you expecting?

It seems every time Nintendo have some sort of announcement people are shouting Mario Galaxy 3 or Metroid Prime 4!!!!

Guys, you're getting no big games for Wii U that hasn't already been announced. It's all NX now. You just have to play the waiting game for six months.
Except that even Nintendo's president has said they aren't abandoning the Wii U yet. And let's face it, Nintendo doesn't typically show something until it's substantially far into development. They don't do the half-baked drip-feed BS nearly as bad as some other devs.

Except that even Nintendo's president has said they aren't abandoning the Wii U yet.

327492_o.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah but its Nintendos fault if there's nothing to look forward to, so of course the fan community is hyping every little stuff, hoping it would be something great everyone is waiting for.

If only Nintendo had plans for a Smash related broadcast in December…

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Except that even Nintendo's president has said they aren't abandoning the Wii U yet.

Every platform owner says that about every platform and yet it's always the same story: there may not be numerically 0 titles for Wii U after the NX launches, but it will not be an ongoing piece of hardware. Use your insight here. NX launches, it does well, people are happy, they're buying software, whatever. And then what, 6 months later when there's a drought, like there will be, Nintendo releases something desireable on their old, failed system just to tell their new, happy customers they made the wrong decision and shouldn't have early adopted? Of course not.

Here's the platform transitions from the Iwata era onwards--

N64 titles released after the GameCube by Nintendo:

GameCube titles released after the Wii by Nintendo:
Twilight Princess (also released on Wii)

Wii titles released after the Wii U by Nintendo:

The counterexample in handhelds is that the GBA got a year of support after the DS. Here's why that's unlikely today. First, because software risks more now than it did then so it's more and more important not to kneecap it by releasing on old hardware. Second, because software now is written using middleware and thus far easier to port and less hardware-specific. Third, because the GBA was a success and the DS cratered at launch.

I really don't believe anyone can take seriously the idea that the Wii U will have major support post-NX launch.

Mory Dunz

What are we talking about though ^^

Wii U titles in 2016, or titles in 2017 after NX is out?

Cause those are completely different things...

Soupy

Banned

Did you even read the OP? There has been chatter of a big announcement for the past couple of days.

Something legitimate was expected because that was the way it has been teased.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
2) It turns the screws for everyone who worked themselves up into a stupid hypegasm about Retro Studios Dark Matoor Startropics 3: A Fire Emblem Tale Featuring John Halo and Nathan Drake: Exclusively for NX: Which Is 1000 Times More Powerful Than PS4: Also Sony Is Not Good And Nintendo Is The Best.

wow confirmed

Every platform owner says that about every platform and yet it's always the same story: there may not be numerically 0 titles for Wii U after the NX launches, but it will not be an ongoing piece of hardware. Use your insight here. NX launches, it does well, people are happy, they're buying software, whatever. And then what, 6 months later when there's a drought, like there will be, Nintendo releases something desireable on their old, failed system just to tell their new, happy customers they made the wrong decision and shouldn't have early adopted? Of course not.

Here's the platform transitions from the Iwata era onwards--

N64 titles released after the GameCube by Nintendo:

GameCube titles released after the Wii by Nintendo:
Twilight Princess (also released on Wii)

Wii titles released after the Wii U by Nintendo:

The counterexample in handhelds is that the GBA got a year of support after the DS. Here's why that's unlikely today. First, because software risks more now than it did then so it's more and more important not to kneecap it by releasing on old hardware. Second, because software now is written using middleware and thus far easier to port and less hardware-specific. Third, because the GBA was a success and the DS cratered at launch.

I really don't believe anyone can take seriously the idea that the Wii U will have major support post-NX launch.
But what about Thracia 776 coming out on the SNES in 1999!?

Yeah I don't expect any Wii U games after the NX comes out either, and would prefer Nintendo focus on not flubbing this.

Alphahawk

So this afternoon I looked for the announcement found nothing. This evening I looked for something, again found nothing, but hey Minecrafts coming to the WiiU that's cool, wait that's not the announcement is it? It couldn't be Minecrafts on everything. Came here to confirm and yup it's Minecraft.

Crono27

Hey look posts about bashing Nintendo what a surprise. Did people actually expect something huge when it was coming from the Nintendo indie guy. Sigh

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
its easy to see why Nintendo doesn't like their employees going on podcasts...

fernoca

its easy to see why Nintendo doesn't like their employees going on podcasts....
If it was for GAF, no employee would talk about anything...or show anything...or wear anything.

If they tease at something in a podcast? This thread.
Crash Bandicoot shirt? That thread.
Uncharted 4 Nadine debacle? Another thread.

Everything is blown out of proportion. And then they jump to some weird conclusions not only to overreact to things, but later to blame it on the companies...and justify their idiotic stance.

iphys

Great news. Now just announce Tetris and I think the Wii U could really take off.

I know you're joking, but honestly I will consider the Wii U a failure if it's Nintendo's first system that fails to get an official Tetris game, and releasing a half-Tetris game only in one country doesn't count.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I feel like folks poo-pooing this don't pay attention to NPD threads and as such don't notice how Minecraft has been in the top 10 forever.

I feel like folks poo-pooing this don't pay attention to NPD threads and as such don't notice how Minecraft has been in the top 10 forever.

Because it's on every platform already besides Wii U and 3DS. People were expecting something new. Minecraft hasn't exactly been a huge success on platforms like the Vita, so it's not like it'll really make tons of waves on the Wii U either.

People keep repeating this ad nauseum in this thread and others, but this is silly

It's popular because it's available everywhere. How many WiiU owners don't have a device that has been able to play Minecraft for years? Surely single digits

This is as important as WiiU getting Angry Birds, Tetris or Solitaire

Top Bottom