• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Big Announcement on Monday

Alphahawk

I feel like folks poo-pooing this don't pay attention to NPD threads and as such don't notice how Minecraft has been in the top 10 forever.

As someone who poo-poo'd this announcement,, I don't really care how well the game sells, I was looking for something interesting to play.

I thought sales for minecraft on vita were actually good.

I haven't heard the same. Heard it did somewhat well in Japan, where the Vita is actually a living, though not thriving, platform, and Minecraft's audience might be the smallest. Outside of that it's taken its expected position on Vita download charts but hasn't outsold the PS3/4/XBO version (Leaving 360 version out because it's a monster there for whatever reason) on charts since release. Wii U version will probably just be a notch bigger than Vita.

Velcro Fly

People keep repeating this ad nauseum in this thread and others, but this is silly

It's popular because it's available everywhere. How many WiiU owners don't have a device that has been able to play Minecraft for years? Surely single digits

This is as important as WiiU getting Angry Birds, Tetris or Solitaire

pretty much this

when i think big announcement by Nintendo I'm not thinking I will be able to buy a game on a Wii U that I could play on about 5 other things that I own.

Richie

The announcement is as big as it could be, coming from the employee best known for securing indie titles. Thread title should really have clarified this, but anyone disappointed only has themselves to blame. If you saw that Nintendo as a company didn't hype anything, that NoJ stayed dead silent, and still thought Damon Barker would seriously tease NX/Zelda news for a Monday mere weeks before Christmas, yeah, it isn't the company that overreacted.

leehom

Things must be pretty bad if Nintendo considers this big news.....
It's so underwhelming, it makes me consider quitting gaming.

MSMrRound

A Nintendo staff thought it's big news. It was mentioned in a podcast and Nintendo America/Europe etc certainly didn't allude to anything on their social media platforms.

It's NeoGAF users that failed to read between the lines and overhyped themselves...as usual.

It's not even reading between the lines. It was Nintendo's indie guy saying something big would be announced. A big indie title was announced: Minecraft.

I mean, why assume something like Metroid unless you're joking or incredibly stupid? Even if you only have a passing interest in Nintendo, it's not hard to understand how their announcements go.

Gleethor

So many posts in this thread said that it would be Minecraft and that everyone should adjust their expectations. I almost PM'd a mod asking them to change the thread title to reflect this, but I figured it probably wouldn't be needed. Huh.

statham

You guys may not like MC but like Madden, its very important to have on your system as many do. Nintendo fanbase is perfect for MC. Expect another million seller.

Oersted

Because it's on every platform already besides Wii U and 3DS. People were expecting something new. Minecraft hasn't exactly been a huge success on platforms like the Vita, so it's not like it'll really make tons of waves on the Wii U either.

It is successful on Vita and Wii U has the far more compatible audience.

Damn Nintendo and there hype train. Always fall for that :(. I want a Metroid Wii U game

That wouldn't be big, Minecraft is, it would be stupid.

You guys may not like MC but like Madden, its very important to have on your system as many do. Nintendo fanbase is perfect for MC. Expect another million seller.

Exactly.

JazzmanZ

If this is what makes you consider quitting gaming, then good bye! Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

People acting childish and bitter because their wild fantasies didn't come true is a pox on gaming.

ryushe

I've actually never played Minecraft before. Definitely be willing to give it a shot on the Wii U. Love that freaking Gamepad too much not to.

People keep repeating this ad nauseum in this thread and others, but this is silly

It's popular because it's available everywhere. How many WiiU owners don't have a device that has been able to play Minecraft for years? Surely single digits

This is as important as WiiU getting Angry Birds, Tetris or Solitaire
Can you elaborate how the point is silly? I don't think your post counters the point about the game's popularity. If it keeps selling on other platforms, why do you think it wouldn't sell on Wii U?

Furthermore, just because a kid owns another platform on which they could play doesn't mean they will play the game on that other platform. For example, back when the 360 version came out, vast majority of the people who got the game on the console would've had access to a laptop capable running the game just fine. Did they play it there? Obviously not (well some did but bought it on 360 anyway).

Is that comparison unfair? Possibly a little (since 360 was the first console to get it and it had local split screen multiplayer), but it does demonstrate the point. There are a lot of possible outcomes how one could end up being interested on a very particular version of the game despite owning also other platforms to play the game on.

The same could also be said about PS3, PS4 and XB1. Surely by now everyone had already another device to play the game and thus it wouldn't sell much?

Nightbird

I know, but the problem is, kids do not care about Nintendo anymore.

Atleast in my country (Germany)

Whenever I hear kids talking in a bus, they talk about violent stuff, Playstation and smartphones.

Weird, I am also in Germany, but kids talk all the time about Minecraft to me, and it's not just them. Teenagers too (granted, it's just a few individuals, but still.)

NotLiquid

Minecraft is the kind of property that has proven to sell on just about any platform that has prevalent users. This isn't even really so much a matter of Wii U users not having the game being a minimal amount - it's the kind of game plenty of people will own on multiple platforms. The fact that Minecraft derivatives have sold on Wii U for a long time now implies there to be quite a bit of people who most likely want the game.

Late or not, relatively speaking it's pretty big news (as big as you'd get at least from Nintendo's head of indie relations) and it's most likely going to do well. A pointless investment this isn't.

TLZ

Banned
Minecraft is the kind of property that has proven to sell on just about any platform that has prevalent users. This isn't even really so much a matter of Wii U users not having the game being a minimal amount - it's the kind of game plenty of people will own on multiple platforms. The fact that Minecraft derivatives have sold on Wii U for a long time now implies there to be quite a bit of people who most likely want the game.

Late or not, relatively speaking it's pretty big news (as big as you'd get at least from Nintendo's head of indie relations) and it's most likely going to do well. A pointless investment this isn't.

I agree with all your post apart from the big part. It's a nice one to help the system and Nintendo's pocket get fatter, but it isn't big for us at this point in time imo. I think if the indie dude just said we have an announcement on Monday without using the word big, we wouldn't have hyped it much. Big at this point in time got to be something new imo, and Minecraft just isn't that. We're on the verge of NX announcement, Cloud in Smash, Xenoblade out, Zelda U soon, all these new news. Minecraft is years old and doesn't fit well with all that.

My 2 cents.

Dee Dee

Haha, man, I hope the Wii U version sells millions so this thread can finally die.

Announcing this before the Christmas season IS big. Parents looking for family friendly fun WILL ask for Minecraft. Wii U trying to establish itself as a family friendly console was missing this for years.

Notch was seriously opposed to putting Minecraft on a Nintendo console. That they were finally able to make this happen after Microsoft bought the studio of all things, is pretty BIG. Kudos to the indie guy, I have no doubt in my mind that they were trying to get the game for years already.

Now I understand you guys are in the "too little too late camp", but I dare say for this Christmas it is "better late than never".

Also, you all need to seriously chill on the hype Kool-Aid. But saying this, see you all again in the Smash Direct Hype thread, expecting Ridley to be announced along Metroid Wii U: Electric Boogaloo.

Top Bottom