• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct for Super Mario Bros Movie announced for October 6

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
6603074-brie-larsen-marvel-1-700x525.jpg

they should cast captain no-ass to play ass-less peach.
mario lacks some serious ass we need this to be the new lore

jigglet

Banned
It’s CG???? I assumed it would be live action.

My excitement just went from 0 to 100.

That poster is beautiful.

Last edited:

Comandr

Is CGI falling out of favor? Why the push for live action with games?
Same with live action Anime on Netflix, That One Piece live action, is there any hope at all for that?
Oh buddy. I'm going to steer this ship off topic for a bit.

I don't understand why everything has to be live action now. I was scrolling along Paramount+ earlier and saw there are not one, but THREE Fairly Odd Parents live action films. And I just thought to myself... Why? I can't imagine any fan of the show, young or old ever said "You know what would be really good? If this was a live action film." One Piece is a cartoon, it works BECAUSE of its medium, not in spite of it. The principles of absurdist comedy that it so heavily leans on would never ever translate to live action without creepy who framed roger rabbit visuals and antics, and at that point, why bother? Furthermore, I think a lot of the .... powers could come across as body horror. Luffy's body stretching out all kinds of ways is cute and funny as a cartoon, but on a realistic looking person? Hm. One Piece also tackles some interesting issues such as racism and body shaming. I can't wait to see how Netflix handles Luffy punching a big ugly fat Alvida so hard she ends up eating a fruit to become skinny and beautiful, thereby "improving" herself. The articles write themselves.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk. Please see my assistant on the way out for a signed copy of my book "TL;DR: No One Cares".

Speaking of articles. Looks like ol Kotaku wrote a piece about Mario's ass, or lack thereof. VINDICATION.

TLZ

Banned
Looking forward to it.

But I really want a new Mario Bros game :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
Oh buddy. I'm going to steer this ship off topic for a bit.

I don't understand why everything has to be live action now. I was scrolling along Paramount+ earlier and saw there are not one, but THREE Fairly Odd Parents live action films. And I just thought to myself... Why? I can't imagine any fan of the show, young or old ever said "You know what would be really good? If this was a live action film." One Piece is a cartoon, it works BECAUSE of its medium, not in spite of it. The principles of absurdist comedy that it so heavily leans on would never ever translate to live action without creepy who framed roger rabbit visuals and antics, and at that point, why bother? Furthermore, I think a lot of the .... powers could come across as body horror. Luffy's body stretching out all kinds of ways is cute and funny as a cartoon, but on a realistic looking person? Hm. One Piece also tackles some interesting issues such as racism and body shaming. I can't wait to see how Netflix handles Luffy punching a big ugly fat Alvida so hard she ends up eating a fruit to become skinny and beautiful, thereby "improving" herself. The articles write themselves.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk. Please see my assistant on the way out for a signed copy of my book "TL;DR: No One Cares".

Speaking of articles. Looks like ol Kotaku wrote a piece about Mario's ass, or lack thereof. VINDICATION.
Interesting take about body horror. CG and drawings softens that. I dont know anyone who saw Elastigirl from The Incredibles and said how horrific.
I think this Mario will work out great in CG.

And by the way Skinny Alveda only changed her appearance she wasn’t instantly turned all warm and fuzzy good.

Comandr

Interesting take about body horror. CG and drawings softens that. I dont know anyone who saw Elastigirl from The Incredibles and said how horrific.
I think this Mario will work out great in CG.

And by the way Skinny Alveda only changed her appearance she wasn’t instantly turned all warm and fuzzy good.
I think you missed the point somewhere. In your example, elastigirl is a cartoon character. So her stretching out doesn’t stand out too much. But if your hand- you the person - your hand suddenly inflated to be 500 times it’s normal size it would probably be awful and terrifying.

Also I never said anything about Alvida’s persona changing. Even after she eats the sube sube no mi she’s still a bad guy. She is just skinny and beautiful and thereby better. It’s no secret that Oda likes women with thin waistlines and huge HUGE font size 72 boobas.

I think you missed the point somewhere. In your example, elastigirl is a cartoon character. So her stretching out doesn’t stand out too much. But if your hand- you the person - your hand suddenly inflated to be 500 times it’s normal size it would probably be awful and terrifying.

Also I never said anything about Alvida’s persona changing. Even after she eats the sube sube no mi she’s still a bad guy. She is just skinny and beautiful and thereby better. It’s no secret that Oda likes women with thin waistlines and huge HUGE font size 72 boobas.
No missed point, I agree with you.
I also lament the entire make it live action trend.
And I was nudge nudge wink winking at you about Alvida. I also can in-vision the articles that will be written.

No games? Nothing to see here then unless you’re into train wrecks…

Another Mario game announcement would have been ideal here. Missed opportunity.

RCU005

I pretty much expected the worst. The real question is - why would anyone have done otherwise?
But the worst hasn’t even happened!

The worst part of the movie is how it will sound! At least I can’t fathom how someone like Chris Pratt can make a Mario voice that works, or how Keegan can voice Toad! This is going to be some bizarre shit.

I predict the trailer will be mocked by everyone for being so bizarre. It will look weird (already Mario’s face looks weird) and the voices will be so off.

Elysion

Banned
Man, now I wish the next Mario game had an environment like that. That’s pretty much how I think a next-gen Mario game should look (in terms of style; the graphics won’t be quite on that level of course).

Plot Twist: this is a screenshot of a downgraded but actual game you will play on Switch 2. The best way to sell a game since The Wizard.

There’s a chance the next game will share at least some similarities with the movie. We’re definitely overdue for a new 3d Mario game. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the environments were designed with both in mind.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looks like a mascot with a big plastic head. I think they made the mistake of trying to performance capture real humans and then make a character compatible with a human skeleton, which looks eerie. One of the problem with the Ugly Sonic from the first trailer.

Wondering if the next big 3D Mario resembles this at all, and if so, wow put this in my veins. That artwork looks incredible.

Top Bottom