• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Dammit, I saw "Drill" in the first game's title and got excited for a second. WHY IN THE FUCK DON'T WE HAVE MR. DRILLER WORLD YET?!?!?!?!?!

MoxManiac

I didn't even know there was a tg16 SimEarth. I've only played the SNES version - anyone know what's different about the tg16 version? Maybe closer to the original PC version?

Passing on SimEarth. I remember the SNES one just being way too difficult. Was it even a Will Wright game?

Might go for the new ArtStyle game.

zigg

abstract alien said:
Yeah, most definitely, I was just playing off of sp0rks words from the op in the thread he made about it.

Ha, whoops, my bad.

abstract alien said:
Around what time does dsiware update? Im about ready to kill someone waiting for this game.

In about an hour and 8 minutes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
VGChampion said:
Gonna pick up Art Styles. :D

Haven't got anything since Pictobits. Nice to have a new game on it again.

Why didn't you get Might Flip Champs?! ANSWER FOR YOUR CRIMES.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Perhaps he's curious about what you do or how you make the boxes, or what other mechanics make the box making unique.

In which case he should read sp0rks thread linked some posts earlier and watch the vids.

Insaniac said:
is all artstyle boxlife is making boxes?
is all street fighter is fighting people?

dallow_bg said:
Perhaps he's curious about what you do or how you make the boxes, or what other mechanics make the box making unique.

In which case he should read sp0rks thread linked some posts earlier and watch the vids.
It's just an amusing way to phrase it. And even if it is, there are obviously variations on the idea that make them unique.

bryehn

Hey guys, it's a bit spammy, but I posted an article this morning briefly reviewing and comparing some recent WiiWare Retro Remakes. Namely Adventure Island: The Beginning, Bubble Bobble Plus! anf Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure.

Maybe someone will find it helpful.

Just a few minutes away fro a new Art Style game, so excited!

Dave Long

Banned
SimEarth requires a lot of patience and really doesn't ever have a payoff. Most people playing games today won't "get it" so should probably skip it.

Of course if you played Spore and want to see where that idea sort of came from...

jrricky

Banned
laserbeam said:
:lol and the responses to follow:
Stumpokapow said:
is all tetris is dropping blocks?

Kobun Heat said:
is all guitar hero is playing guitar?

crowphoenix said:
is all street fighter is fighting people?

A Twisty Fluken said:
is all rapelay is raping women?
Kilrogg said:
is all Natal is seeing shoes?
:lol :lol
....Well, except the last one...it seemed to have missed the point..

Anyways, did anyone like the Paper Airplane game?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
jrricky said:
....Well, except the last one...it seemed to have missed the point..

I... I just wanted to make a funny :(. I think I just love that "bam, there it is" meme way too much. I know I missed the point.

is Kilrogg is missing the point?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Holy cow Boxlife is addicting

However at least for me the scissors arent all that responsive and precise. I'm finding myself repairing cuts over and over again when it doesnt cut the lines that i want it to

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
art style, baby!

ps: anybody willing to sell me on mighty flip champs? i'm still not sure i'm getting the entire depth of the game, admittedly all my impression being from the nintendo channel video.

nli10

Stumpokapow said:
Well, biologically inaccurate because it's based on a not-widely accepted hypothesis called "Gaia Theory" which posits that planetary ecological equilibrium is based on the premise that the planet itself is a living organism.

Beyond that, it's grueling. Much more difficult than most Sim games. Actually, reflecting on it it's probably the most difficult of all of them. Also, it doesn't have any kind of real goal. Some versions, IIRC, have a few scenarios.. But basically the goal is to just guide a planet for billions of years.

But if you can dig the premise, it's a pretty intellectually rewarding game. There's a truly wide variety of lifeforms available, and there's a lot of charm in the really basic graphics.

Never played the console versions of SimEarth but in the Mac version you can achieve sentience with pretty much any animal group and then they all take off in space rockets and the process begins again. I managed it a couple of times with the obvious mammals and lizard =s but getting sentient CarniFerns (carnivorous plants) was the crowning achievement. Can't imagine playing for hundreds of hours on the Wii though.

And yes - the graphics require a vivid imagination. :D

inthegray

sevenchaos said:
Title Screen music is awesome. Game is fun too. :D

i recorded the Boxlife theme a few months ago, very cheerful stuff.

i haven't played in months, but here's my current hacolife/boxlife home:

4t1t1e.jpg

zigg

jrricky said:
Anyways, did anyone like the Paper Airplane game?

For about as long as I did on the GBA. Bird & Beans was a better blow of $2.

But BOXES are worth more than 2½ Paper Airplanes!

BOXESSSSS

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find this Boxlife game incredibly difficult as I don't have good spatial relations abilities. I got through the first section quickly but once they added in the T-shaped boxes I had to pass on the last 5 :(

Any NEVES Plus impressions? I don't even remember hearing about the DS version before today, but the GameRankings average of ~72% isn't bad, and neither is 600 points. The game description sounds kind of like something I'd buy right away if it were called ArtStyle: NEVES.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Plinko said:
I find this Boxlife game incredibly difficult as I don't have good spatial relations abilities. I got through the first section quickly but once they added in the T-shaped boxes I had to pass on the last 5 :(
yeah, my god. my brain can't see the patterns, and then they keep giving me new ones. maybe after i play this a million times it'll click.

zigg

Mmm, no such problem here. I use the reset button liberally if it turns out my cutting isn't going so well. I've passed all of the first four sets (with only 3 pts penalty on the last); I'm sure I'd have more done if I had the time.

It can get pretty tricky though!

Is there a sd picture download option in the game?

Not that I saw, no.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hope we get more Art Style games for the WiiWare at some point.

Chumly

Icarian - Kindred Spirits EDGE REVIEW

With various Greek gods making cameo appearances, the design team hasn’t been afraid to invoke the big names on the development side either, their simple platformer recalling Ico in its confident use of ruins and silence, and referencing Metroid and Zelda in the means by which its puzzles and items dictate the minute-to-minute structure. And yet, despite such a lineage, there’s never a moment when Icarian lacks its own identity, and never a moment where homage crosses the line into theft. Unlike Icarus himself, then, Over the Top has tempered its obvious ambition with skill and understanding, and the result is a game that’s refreshingly quick to take flight. [8]

Got an 8

Way back in '94 me and my brother got a copy of Sim Earth on clearance at Waldensoftware for $10 and it was bar none the worst CD we ever put in our Turbo Duo. Eye-peelingly dull visuals, horrible music and Gaia's voice is ultra dopey and annoying. Sure we'd never played a Sim series before and lacked patience but maybe if the interface and presentation had been more interesting, more intuitive and not so rediculously slow we would have at least been tempted to do more than just use disease and natural disasters before throwing Gate of Thunder back in. Tedious and dull then = even moreso today. Absolute waste of the CD format, avoid it like the many plagues me and my brother inflicted on Gaia's face.

zigg

"Digital crack" for Boxlife is so accurate. It is making me an irresponsible parent right now... and every time I close my eyes I see boxes, ready to be rolled up...

No slight to Mighty Flip or Minis March, but I feel like I got a machine designed explicitly for playing Skip games and I love it. :D

Ah my mistake, when I saw your pic on my phone

Wasn't my pic, I don't have near that much neat stuff yet. ;)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked up Neves Plus, which looks like an expanded and reskinned remake of the DS original (and so, a solid game, especially at $6) and Art Style: Boxlife.

Boxlife is fucking genius.

neoism

I Swear to god if Cave Story doesn't come out by August, I'm goina do absolutely nothing and just wait til August
16x16_smiley-sad.gif
I just don't understand, fucking release it GODDAMN!!!!

Top Bottom