• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Boxlife = GREAT.

Now I'm tempted to go on a WiiWare + DSiWare spending spree, of recent months:

Mario vs DK...
Mighty Flip Champ...

Swords & Soldiers...

Anything else of real importance?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Something is wrong with Boxlife for me. It keeps making me cut out paper penises and crucifixes. I'm so confused.

zigg

I went to sleep last night mentally folding boxes, trying to remember how one particularly strange shape went. I was so proud of myself yesterday for "discovering" a shape that hadn't been introduced yet, and then I got into the higher ranks and was pretty much "oh wow, I can't believe that folds!"

And this game is torturing me. I want to get perfect scores in R&D but starting at rank 7 I'm just a little too slow on one of the puzzles... so I end up anywhere between 90 and 98. And then it mixes them up a little so of course I can't just go by rote :D

I've never wanted to be a perfect little industrial cog so much in my life.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
jepjepjep said:
Anyone out there like me waiting for Rondo of Blood to hit the virtual console?
Nope, you're the only person at a gaming message board that wants one of the most well-liked games of a series that's wildly popular among gamers.

What a silly question.

Shig said:
Nope, you're the only person at a gaming message board that wants one of the most well-liked games of a series that's wildly popular among gamers.

What a silly question.
He probably won't read this because he's off to play Super Castlevania IV.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

Jackano

Altavista via Opera gave me "It's too possible Tingle pack". I understand this like a Tingle party game refering to his quest for a woman!

cryptic

When will we start getting real games for dsiware?

I'd really like to play Sonic or Castlevania or anthing other than puzzle games.

Netto-kun

Jackano said:
Altavista via Opera gave me "It's too possible Tingle pack". I understand this like a Tingle party game refering to his quest for a woman!
Hmm I don't really know. The genre for the game is something along the line of "To be helpful gadgets".:lol

Somnid

cryptic said:
When will we start getting real games for dsiware?

I hate fake games too. Just when you think you're playing them you're not.

Edit:I suppose I shouldn't have really said "think", I'm not using translation software.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Somnid said:
I hate fake games too. Just when you think you're playing them you're not.

Yeah I was sure I was playing PicoPict and HacoLife the other day, but maybe I wasn't.

colinp

Banned
Any impressions on Dragon Quest Wars yet? I was planning on picking it up but I don't think I have time to head over to the local wifi hotspot tonight.

BuzzJive

Carnival King coming soon to WiiWare:

screenshot7.jpg

screenshot8.jpg

screenshot9.jpg

More images and the full press release can be found here:
http://wiiware.itsgames.com/bags/carnivalking/index.jsp

There's also a trailer up on IGN:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14348427/vids_1.html

Boxlife is great and a must buy for puzzle game fans. Definitely the best DSi game by a large margin and I'd say it's one of the better recent puzzle games. Off the top of my head I'd only put Rittai Picross ahead of it, and nothing on the iPhone even comes close.

colinp said:
Any impressions on Dragon Quest Wars yet? I was planning on picking it up but I don't think I have time to head over to the local wifi hotspot tonight.

So far, it's really slow paced as you have to watch all the monster animations. However, the strategy does seem to be very complex. I've only played a bit so far though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Someone from Infogrames / Atari has to be lurking on GAF.

Please suggest releasing old Atari console titles on Virtual Console... there are a FEW unique, console-only releases that would be interesting to replay.

As long as we're at it... hey, Midway employees: could you suggest to your higher-ups that some classic Atari, Midway, and Williams titles make their way to the Virtual Console Arcade? I mean, it's not like Midway is awash with success at the moment, and VCA represents a somewhat easy way to rake in some extra dough. Heck, you could just pull out the Midway's Arcade Treasures disks and split the titles out individually... I'd rather have a new emulation job, but, well, you're Midway.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
there's no way to get into the japanese dsiware store on an american dsi, is there?

Echoes

mattiewheels said:
there's no way to get into the japanese dsiware store on an american dsi, is there?
Well, if there's any way, you wouldn't see HUELEN10 goes nuts like this :lol Sadly no.

I got me a DSi yesterday. Bought Mario vs DK, Mighty Flip Champs, PictoBits and Boxlife. I love them. Fucking Boxlife is unbelievable. So awesome. So goddamn awesome. And PictoBits is sent from heaven to 8-bit nerds like me :D

Recommend me some others, gaffers. Currently I'm in love with both the DSiWare and WiiWare games so throw 'em all at me.

Right, as my Wii is currently being repaired by Nintendo and will hopefully arrive back here in perpetual working order, I reckon this time around is when I'll delve in VC/WiiWare.

That said, what is the "best" in general SD card to grab off Amazon? I know 32GB is the ceiling...but somehow I doubt I'd fill that up completely by far. So...maybe a great one around 8-10GB or some such? The plan was to grab one of these and a 4GB PSP Duo thingie in one nice order so that by the time my Wii arrives back and the PSP 3000 I'll order soon arrives both machines will be duly equipped.

Tiktaalik

Boxlife is really really good but also quite difficult. There's definitely a learning curve. After playing three of the R&D levels I thought I'd give the factory a try and whoaaaaah I got destroyed real fast. The wide openness of it was super daunting and then all of a sudden these bombs start showing up and AHHH STRESS!

After a bit more time in the R&D I figured out a bit more and upon return to the factory I actually made $94! Huzzah.

This game definitely has a "Tetris effect" to it as well. I was definitely seeing boxes in my sleep for a bit after I played the game.

Deku

Banned
Sim Earth is a really neat game. Very slow, but very deep and a game made for a different time.

I've played this game on the SFC from the (superior) FCI port ages ago. What ultimately made the SFC version superior (based on memory) was the superior soundtrack, and overall better scrolling speeds, faster movement between the screens, and its not bloated with the terrible voice narration in the TG-16 VC download.

That said, the two games are essentially identical and Aquarium mode is fun. On my planet, it is the avians who evolved into intelligent civilizations.

Currently my civilizations are on Iron Age.

DavidDayton said:
Someone from Infogrames / Atari has to be lurking on GAF.

Please suggest releasing old Atari console titles on Virtual Console... there are a FEW unique, console-only releases that would be interesting to replay.

I'd feel ripped off paying more than one dollar for a downloadable Atari game.

Don't get me wrong I love Atari.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
tetrisgrammaton said:
I'd feel ripped off paying more than one dollar for a downloadable Atari game.

Don't get me wrong I love Atari.

I could see a $2-$3 range. Perhaps closer to $3 would be the only sane way to do it... but, well...

What would be some 2600, 5200, 7800, and XEGS titles?

I just want Star Raiders (yes, I know, Atari 8-bit computer, but it WAS rereleased for the XEGS!)

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Where the fuck is Yoshi's Island on virtual console. Ive been waiting forever for that

If the lone VC game each week was an Atari 2600 game I would set a box of kittens on fire. Actually maybe I'll just get an empty box and write "kittens" on it and then set it on fire.

Nevermind.

Teppic

I dug out my NES yesterday and played some Kirby's Adventure. The difference between the original and VC is huge.

When I first played the VC version I felt something was wrong, but numerous posts about how faithful most games where to the originals made me think I might be mistaken.

However, by comparison, the VC game is full of slowdowns that aren't in the original. I was very surprised of how well the original game ran, with barely little to none slowdowns.

This is the PAL game compared to the (I assume) PAL game on VC. Is there anyone here who can tell if the NTSC VC version have the same problem?

zigg

ElectricThunder said:
That said, what is the "best" in general SD card to grab off Amazon? I know 32GB is the ceiling...but somehow I doubt I'd fill that up completely by far. So...maybe a great one around 8-10GB or some such? The plan was to grab one of these and a 4GB PSP Duo thingie in one nice order so that by the time my Wii arrives back and the PSP 3000 I'll order soon arrives both machines will be duly equipped.

Get whatever card is currently going cheaply. I have a 2 GB non-HC which is still not even approaching half-full, and I've got nearly three pages of VC/WiiWare on it plus backups of all my saves.

Top Bottom